Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Origami Music ❯ Part 7 ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Title: Origami Music
Chapter: 7/?
Author: Madyamisam
Rating: PG-13
Beta: Linda
Pairing(s): Joey/Mokuba (but not in `that' way) Joey/Seto
Spoilers: None
Disclaimer: Madyamisam doesn't own Yu-Gi-Oh. She also doesn't own `Immortal' by Evanescence
Summary: Two families, two children, two siblings, two friends… funny how an accident could make everything change…
Author Notes: The following chapter starts a two weeks after the `fall' incident
 
-----------
 
He tossed and turned that night in the bed however the prospect of sleep like so many before had totally eluded him so he settled to staring up at the ceiling of his room helpless to the images of the blonde diving down after him as he fell. The soulful brown eyes had bored into his own penetrating through his soul and leaving a clear mark in his mind. He could still remember the warmth of the arms holding him and absently wrapped his arms around himself in the hope of recapturing those sensations. The emotions of feeling safe seemed so alien yet familiar to him. Almost his entire life he had to fight. He had to stay strong. He had to carry this burden of responsibility on his shoulders and to do so he had learnt to forget what feeling protected felt like. Then all of a sudden those feelings appeared out of the blue when blonde propelled himself off the building after him. Since that day Joey was taken out of his care, his things moved to Yugi's place with the exception of the many paper cranes that littered in the now empty guest room, which started to gather dust. Seto didn't allow the birds to be thrown away or for the cleaning staff to enter the room to disturb it. He'd absently find himself lingering at the guestroom doorway and staring inside at the empty space where Joey sat for hours on end folding, tucking and creasing the pieces of paper into their respective shapes. School seemed emptier than before as Seto came into class to do nothing more than stare at the empty seat two seats away from him; work felt monotonous despite Seto having done much the same thing everyday before without harbouring feelings of fatigue, lack of enthusiasm or motivation. Even duelling lost its appeal. Seto hadn't touched his deck for two weeks and it started feeling like a dead weight in his pocket. All this… because of that day he finally saw him for what he truly is, who he truly is. Without prejudice, without past experiences, without the complications of trying to look deeper for deception he simply saw him as the real Joey Wheeler for the first time. Seto's jerked his head up to the door when it clicked open. Mokuba stood in the doorway staring at him, his hair was ruffled but he looked wide awake.
 
“I can't sleep” he said. Seto blinked in surprise but did not find Mokuba crawling under his covers and snuggling up to him unwelcoming. He sighed and stroked the long ebony tresses patiently watching the boy's eyes droop and finally drifting away into slumber. The brunette found however that he had no such comfort and stayed awake all night like so many nights before.
 
--------
 
He saw them reach the entrance of the school gates just as the car pulled up against the side walk talking happily it seems. He got out of the car just as Joey caught his glance and turned to stare back at him. As he did this it caught the attention of the three friends that were with him. Seto ignored pretty much everything around him except for the soft, soulful, ochre eyes. Suddenly the weeks of turmoil and the suppressing silence had lifted almost immediately and vanished as if it had never happened. He was snapped out of reverie from the loud chime of the clock tower on their school before he sat down at his desk. The class started getting interesting now that Joey was back in school and sadly Seto for once found the maths class they had far too short. Apart from lunch there was only going to be one other class that he'd be sharing with the blonde that day and suddenly he had felt tired again. Unable to bear the oppression of his Business Studies class he excused himself to the bathroom vaguely hoping that the Joey would do the same. As it turned out, the bathroom was empty. He leaned against the wall shuddering from the cold tiles against his back and stood there, waiting. He knew he was being foolish, he and Joey had no prior arrangements to meet in the boys' bathroom and whether the blonde came was purely by chance to relieve himself and yet, he waited. The bell rang for the end of second period and onto the third period but Seto didn't leave the spot. All he did was wait. It was until the lunch bell that Seto, dejectedly, gave up and walked towards the cafeteria whilst a silent eagerness to see the blonde crept into his heart. Sure, Joey would most definitely be surrounded by a wall consisting of Yugi, Téa and Tristan but Seto knew he would feel a bit better even if he was only able to see him at a distance. However, when he found the table they usually sat at in the cafeteria, it was empty and he cursed himself for letting himself get his hopes up like that. No doubt, Yugi and the others would have anticipated his presence in the cafeteria, so they must have decided to move and take Joey someplace else. He felt his stomach hitch painfully from the disappointment as the world seemed to crash down on him. He waited a little longer hoping that perhaps they were just delayed but when the hall had started to get crowded he knew that Joey was not going to be here. Disheartened, he went outside and sat alone against the largest cherry blossom tree on the school grounds, which was well hidden from any prying eyes. The air was cool from the winter chill but the ground was dry and the sun shone against a clear blue sky illuminating the cherry brown branches, which although appearing barren and lifeless seemed beautiful in its own simplistic way. He opened his laptop in the hopes of distracting himself until the final period of class. Fortunately, he seemed at peace when staring at the laptop, he didn't know why but felt thankful and started working unaware of the growing pile of paper birds on the other side of the huge tree.
 
-----------------
 
“Is your shoulder ok Joey?” Yugi asked.
 
“You've asked me that about 100 times already” Joey said irritably despite the monotone in his voice, his arm in a sling. Yugi winced and smiled sheepishly.
 
“Ah come on Joe, Yugi's just concerned about ya, that's all” Tristan defended the small boy.
 
“I'm going to the john”
 
“Ok we'll wait for you at the cafeteria ok?” Téa said.
 
“Don't bother I'm not hungry” his friends winced. Joey had been acting cold ever since he had been told that he was being taken out of Kaiba's care. After hearing the incident about Kaiba falling off the Kaiba Corp building and Joey risking his own life to save him it had been become too for them all to take and appealed for custody immediately. Yugi looked up at the two brunettes.
 
“You two go on ahead. I'll talk to him” Tristan went to say something when Téa pulled him into the direction of the cafeteria. Yugi followed the blonde into the boy's bathroom. Joey was leaning against the cold tiles of the bathroom. Joey was going to speak to him at the moment but Yugi went about to gather his thoughts. “We were just worried. I mean how did you expect us to react when we heard you jump off a building to save Kaiba? Just sit back and say: Well done Joey… you nearly killed yourself but you were really brave about it” Joey said nothing but simply staring at the watery puddle. Yugi bit his lip before anger started to over come him. “What do you exactly see in Kaiba anyway?” he seethed. Joey pushed himself off from the wall and gazed down deep into the amethyst eyes with his own soulful brown. He looked thoughtful in gathering his thoughts together in to describing to his friend.
 
“Because I saw how scared he was…” Joey replied. “When he thought Mokuba was going to die… I recognised that fear… I recognised it because I use to see it so many times in the mirror before… It was never about death… it was about being torn apart and abandoned. It hurts, it scars. No one but those who've experienced that kind of hurt and have been scarred by it will know what it really feels like. Serenity knows the feeling, that's why she saved Mokuba… and that's why… I saved Seto” Yugi blinked in surprise at the use of the CEO's first name and looked down on the floor tears started to collect on the corner of his eyes.
 
“So who will save you?” Yugi asked as tears started to fall down his face. “Will `I' be able to?”
 
“It's not a matter of being saved for me anymore Yugi, it's just a matter of carrying on and living with it... without regret” he said emphasising the last two words. He started to leave the bathroom only stopping to pass something into Yugi's hands. Yugi stared at the frail looking crane as he sobbed silently alone. He tugged at the tail and made the bird jerk to life. Yugi turned to find that Joey had gone and when he arrived at the cafeteria he only saw two disappointed brunettes staring at him. He sat with them contemplating what Joey said to him and inwardly his heart ached more than ever before.
 
----------
 
Joey had left to sit at the large cherry blossom tree and placing the large wad of paper he had sneaked out of the school and continued making the paper cranes. He was silently but awkwardly (due to his arm in a sling) folding his third origami crane when he heard a rustle of footsteps behind him and a body settling on against the large tree on the other side. He heard a soft sigh then typing on a laptop. He said nothing fully content with the person on the other side of the tree to go on with his business whilst he carried on making his paper cranes. Silently, a pile of birds, although accumulating slightly slower than usual, rested neatly on his left and he ignored the loud chiming of the lunch bell signalling him for the next lesson.
 
---------
 
His head jerked at the sound of the bell signalling the end of school when he realised that he had fallen asleep whilst working on his laptop and waiting for the final period. It was then that the school was emptying out and the students were all going home that he realised that he fell asleep during the final period and his last chance to see the blonde that day. Cursing silently to himself, he suddenly realised someone's coat was covered over him like a blanket whilst his laptop was turned off and laid inside his metal briefcase. His eyes widened as he recognised it as Joey's coat for he had walked to school wearing it that morning. Realising this, he looked around for a sign of the blonde but he was no where to be seen. He got up, tucked the jacket under his arm and eagerly walked towards the crowd in the hopes of finding him lingering in final period
 
“Mr Kaiba!” exclaimed Miss Kawasaki his history teacher as a few students that stuck behind began to file out. She was a young woman in her early to mid twenties with a pretty face. “I haven't seen you in class today young man. Where have you been?”
 
“Is Jo-Wheeler here?” he asked. The history teacher looked surprised but answered.
 
“Mr Wheeler left school early today. I noticed that he was having trouble writing his notes in class so I sent him to the nurse's office. She in turn sent him home. Is there something-“ Seto didn't stick around to answer the question asked by his history teacher. He merely walked away with the coat in his hand. The air was getting colder and Seto worried that it was starting to snow and Joey had nothing to wear but his school jacket. Hopefully he returned to Yugi's home safely, the limo was waiting and he slid into the leather seat interior whilst his chauffeur drove away towards the Kaiba Corp building.
 
“Drive me to the Turtle Game Shop” he announced
 
“Yes Master Kaiba” was the reply and took a left turn. Seto looked at the small and modest shop before him. He had only seen the inside of it once before and he remembered that he had not parted with the place on good terms. Straightening himself he entered and remembered the small ring of the bell. Old man Motou was humming a tune and given his small stature had to use a ladder to reach for some spare stock on the shelf. He was teetering on the last step of the ladder dangerously.
 
“WHOA!” he yelped as he fell. Seto immediately made a move and grunted slightly from the impact of the old man against his chest. “Oh thank you… young- ah Kaiba?” he gasped in astonishment. Seto blinked but backed away and looked down upon the floor. “It's been a while since I saw you last” the old man said cheerfully. Seto looked into the friendly amethyst eyes and recognised some of the resemblance between the old man and his grandson. He backed away remembering himself calling the man a `senile old fool' once and glancing down the small hallway that lead to the living room hoping to take a glimpse of the blonde inside. He knew that Joey had moved in with Yugi and hoped to God that he had arrived safely home.
 
“I just need to drop this off and-“
 
“Go ahead” Solomon interrupted nodding towards the open door. “He's inside. Don't worry it'll take my grandson at least half an hour to get home even if he hurries so you have some time with him” the old man smiled at the surprised brunette but Seto complied and nodded his thanks to him. It was a modest room, a sofa, two chairs and family TV whilst another door leads to the kitchen and dining room. His eyes searched the blonde before he peeked over the back of the sofa. He saw the tresses of hair splayed against one of the arms of the sofa whilst Joey's head was nestled on a few cushions. He realised the blonde was asleep when he leaned over some more to see his face before he decided to go round the sofa. Joey was indeed fast asleep against the pillows with a blanket over his legs and his right arm which was in a sling rested across his chest. Seto placed the coat over the other arm of the sofa and pulled the blanket over the blonde before settling down to gaze upon the blonde sleeping. Joey's face was peaceful and a bang of his now long fringe graced his cheek, whilst his lips were slightly apart. He snored softly and shifted a bit making the hair on his cheek droop into his face tickling his nose. Seto pushed back the hair with his fingers and tucked it behind the blonde ear.
 
“I'm sorry, for what I said” Seto whispered to the blonde. He got the chance to say anything to him since the `fall' and everyday he felt the regret deepen however saying it to him while he was asleep was only slight compensation to what he truly owed Joey. He wished that the blonde would wake to hear his apology in full but was sadly denied. “I realise now what you were trying to do…” he continued. “and I can't believe I didn't see it, I should have realised it when your mother visited you… the way she slapped you so coldly and your father… he didn't even come to visit…” he shook from a sudden chill running down his back at the feelings. “You're alone… aren't you, Joey? So alone…” he gently touched his head against Joey's feeling the soft and slow breaths gracing his cheeks. He let a single tear fall from his cobalt eyes then sat back to just gazing at the sleeping boy. He was content to just stare forever however time was not his friend and soon he had to leave before Yugi and the others came back home. Standing up he walked towards the shop where Solomon stood leaning against the doorway.
 
“I see you've finally reached an understanding with Joey huh? He is a remarkable boy that I've come to teach. Despite so many things happening to him in the past he always kept a smile on his face and gives others hope and happiness because of it”
 
“He hasn't smiled since she died”
 
“Yes… well… Serenity's death was far too important. It is something that one has to do on their own and it can't be dismissed by a simple gesture. He will smile eventually when all his friends are ready to move on…”
 
“I want to help him. I want to stop him feeling that… loneliness…” Seto said suddenly. His hands were balled into fists and tensed as he looked down on the floor. “But… I… I don't know how… I might end up hurting him again” Solomon smiled comfortingly.
 
“You'll figure it out eventually Kaiba. In the meantime though I won't tell them you came” Solomon replied and Seto nodded his thanks to the old man. His limo drove off just as Yugi and Tristan rounded the corner.
 
---------
 
“Hey grandpa!” Yugi greeted as the door bell rang. Solomon smiled and greeted the two boys. “How's Joey? I was told he got sent home early”
 
“Man, I told him not to come to school today” Tristan mumbled. Solomon chuckled and smiled.
 
“He's fine boys, he's in the living room asleep. Don't disturb him alright?”
 
“Sure! Hey grandpa? Can Tristan stay for dinner? We've both got a homework assignment that we want to work on together” Yugi asked eagerly and the old man happily agreed. The two friends tiptoed past the sleeping blonde and tried to go upstairs.
 
“Hey guys” Joey said sleepily from the sofa to their surprise.
 
“Ah, you caught us Joey” Tristan said cheerfully lightly punching Joey in the left arm. “Hey Yugi mind if I play on your Play station?”
 
“We're supposed to be doing our homework Tristan” Yugi said.
 
“Pwease?” he pouted feigning puppy dog eyes and failing badly at it.
 
“Were you trying to beg cutely or are you just feeling constipated?” Joey drawled. The two friends looked surprised but were extremely delighted that another part of Joey's attribute that they loved show up. Tristan narrowed his eyes in a mock glare.
 
“Oh yeah well I'd like to see you try it” Joey widened his eyes a little tucked in his chin a bit and pouted a little but not too much. His shaggy hair increased the effect.
 
“Aww…” Yugi cooed and giggled at the perplexed look on Tristan. Joey immediately dropped the façade and leaned back against the sofa looking defiant. His two friends chuckled at the teasing light heartedly.
 
“You can play on it for a little bit Tristan but we really need to get our assignment done if you don't want to fall behind again” Yugi urged. Tristan nodded eagerly and ran up the stairs whilst Yugi went into the kitchen. Joey nestled back against the sofa again his eyes were still heavy despite the one hour nap he had since he returned to the game shop. The painkillers that were prescribed to him by the hospital although alleviated the aching in his shoulder also caused him to be extremely drowsy. “Joey?” he heard Yugi call out to him and he forced himself to stay awake.
 
“What is it?”
 
“I'm sorry, back at that conversation we had at school. I guess I was being selfish…” Joey blinked noticing the hurt in the boy's abnormally large eyes. Joey blinked a few times as the events of their conversation went through his head and the two corner of his lips quirk slowly as if testing, it seemed such a small thing yet it took so much effort for him. Yugi gasped at the sight as Joey smiled for the first time. It paled in comparison of his full out grins before the accident but it was a tremendous step forward for the both of them. His lips curled up a little more testing how far the smile could go, it was simple, sweet and honest but Yugi shook with joy of being the first to see it after months of aloofness.
 
“It's ok to be selfish sometimes Yugi…” Joey said staring at the floor, his eyes drooping. “After all the first thing we ever learn to do is `want'” the smile finally faded away but Yugi swore to himself that he would treasure such a memory “and the most difficult thing for people to do is to learn where to draw the line between what they want and what others want” Yugi blinked surprised by the wisdom that the blonde shared with him “it's impossible really, to find that balance, someone will always get hurt but that doesn't stop us trying right?” Joey sighed as sleep finally won out and he sagged against the cushions.
 
“Right…” Yugi answered to the sleeping blonde. “Joey?”
 
“Hmm?” Joey sighed as he snuggled into the pillows.
 
“Do you like Kaiba?” Joey sighed in his answer. “Do you… love him?” another sigh and yet Yugi seemed to know the answer to the questions despite them not being answered he leaned down towards the boy's ear and whispered. “I love you…” and brushed the tresses away “but I know you don't feel the same way… so…” he swallowed painfully as tears welled in his eyes. “I'll let you go Joey... I'll draw the line and let you go…” a tear slid down his face as he drew back. He wiped it away with his sleeve.
 
//Are you all right hikari?// Yugi heard the baritone voice of his other half ask tentatively. They hadn't spoken for a while so it came as a surprise to Yugi when the Yami made his presence known. Yami revealed himself in his transparent form as they spoke without words. He looked dishevelled, a tired weariness that aged him to look as old as he was supposed to be. His normally sharp eyes were dull and he had bags under them and the glorious multi coloured mane drooped from months of stress and worry.
 
/I'm fine… it's weird though… it's actually a lot less painful than I feared/ he replied. Yami's sharp eyes seemed to spark to life as he saw the truly content smile of his other self. /You look like crap/ Yugi said suddenly.
 
//I do huh?// Yami asked touching his face and looking away shamefully.
 
/I'm sorry I worried you so much Yami but you don't have to worry about me anymore…/ Yugi whispered and smiled. He was relieved after sensing the heartache in his hikari had finally subsided after so many months. The five thousand year old spirit smiled joyfully and he wrapped his arms around the young boy. He silently thanked all the Gods and Goddesses and finally the sleeping blonde on the sofa for allowing Yugi to be happy again.
 
“I need to sort something out Yami do you mind helping me?” Yugi whispered out loud.
 
“Why did you even ask… you'll know I'll always help you in any way I can” Yami whispered back.
 
-------------
 
Seto sat back staring at the blank screen of his computer, a lifeless machine that held no prospects to him, no meaning, nothing. `Strange, I've never looked at a computer like that before' he thought realising that his life's work and love of technology seemed diminished. He realised that he had to accept change, it would be a struggle to cope at first but it's wasn't something as simple as deleting a file on the computer. It was going to be there for the rest of his life. He could imagine those soulful brown eyes accompanied by the dull ache pulsating from them. `I don't want to hurt him anymore. I know the logical thing for me to do that is to stay away from him altogether. We'll be graduating this year anyway… so… staying away from him will be easier once we leave school… and…'. It seemed such a straightforward reason yet he felt his throat constrict at the thought of being so far from him, to be unable to see his face or hopefully to see a smile graced upon his lips.
 
“Sir?” said his secretary rapping at her employer's door nervously. Kaiba looked up from the document in his hand.
 
“What?”
 
“A Mr Motou wants to speak with you” Panic flashed in Seto's heart though he didn't show it. `Had Yugi found out? Did the old man lie to him about keeping his visit to the Game shop a secret?' He blinked as his only external sign of nervousness before he nodded.
 
“Let him in” he said and the secretary sighed walking letting the young boy through. Though small in stature he carried air of confidence when he strode into the office. His sharp eyed stare was fixedly at the brunette, an intense violet fire that was capable of lashing at his icy persona front. It was nothing like the warmth of the ochre brown of the blonde that he had been thinking about for the past two weeks. “What is it Motou?” he inwardly flinched at the intensity of the violet gaze as the result of Yami and Yugi merging into this one being.
 
“Just wanting to get our issues with each other straightened out for Joey's sake” he said to the brunette. Seto sat up leaning forward appearing nonchalant despite his heart racing inside. “Two weeks ago that day when Joey got hurt I could tell how much you hated him when you were at school… but ever since I saw you in hospital I saw that something's changed. I heard rumours that you tried to commit sui-”
 
“I wasn't…” Seto interrupted. He glared intensely in to defend his position from a potential attack from the boy. He knew when Yugi got like this he meant business, not counting the furious and impulsive assault two weeks ago. “I was… careless” Seto said the word through gritted teeth. He loathed the word but he knew it was the perfect description for what happened to him.
 
“Explain” the tri colour headed teen demanded and Seto complied reluctantly explaining the argument he had had with Mokuba and why he blamed it on Joey since he was the subject of the argument. Yugi's eyes narrowed even more at the accusation but allowed the brunette to carry on with the story. To his surprise, Seto who was usually so articulate had started to falter near the end.
 
“I was on the roof trying to… think things through and stood at the edge… it helped me focus “ he swallowed as the memories of their conversation overwhelmed him. He blinked away a few tears. “He… followed and he told me about what he and Mokuba talked about back when he was still in the institute… He then went round to tell me what Mokuba was feeling… about how much everyone hated him, how much everyone blamed him for what happened. I was angry, I was angry at them for treating him that way, as if he didn't deserve to be saved and… that Serenity was being a fool for doing so.” Yugi was taken aback by this and Seto picked it up immediately. “You hated him too didn't you? Joey didn't… That's why I slipped when I turned to talk to him…” Seto finished lamely but honestly. Yugi took a deep breath before staring at the blue eyes again. Seto visibly flinched to his surprise but he continued with what he had to say.
 
“So… I guess the fact that he saved you changed your mind on all this?”
 
“No… it was the look in his eyes…” Yugi blinked in surprise belying the fact that he expected this answer. “When I fell he leapt off the building to come after me and I came to realise why I use to mock him. It wasn't that I hated him, looked down on him, or even pitied him. I was… afraid…”Seto sunk back against his chair as tears filled his eyes. He blinked them away inadvertently letting escape and slide down his cheek. “I was afraid of him… of what I could have become if Serenity hadn't saved Mokuba that day…” Yugi
 
“I saw it too when I had a conversation with him in the bathroom at school. Being an only child I can never hope to comprehend a loss like this…” Yugi replied looking down on the floor. “
 
“Funny thing is… I've seen that look before all of this even happened. Before she died. I just never understood what it was until recently and how much of a coward I really am…”
 
“Well… I suppose that's because Serenity and Joey were separated once before…” Seto raised his head in shock. “Their parents divorced about eight years ago and his mother took Serenity whilst Joey stayed with his dad. As you know neither of Joey's parents are very close to him so technically all he had to really care and be cared for was Serenity” Yugi shuffled his feet against the grey carpet of the CEO's office looking solemnly before he finished what he had to say. “Neither of them was able to see, talk or even write to each other. Hell Joey didn't know where his sister lived until he received a videotape from her last year just before Pegasus's Duellist Kingdom Tournament” he watched the CEO's reactions to the news and how he was able to take it. “Just one more question before I go… `Seto'. Are you afraid of him now?” Yugi asked. Seto paused for a moment before he answered. Despite what he admitted for the first time it wasn't the complete explanation. He came to acknowledge what he feared the most but found it impossible to explain this one other emotion.
 
“A little…” he replied. Yugi smiled at his answer before he undid his backpack and pulled a few papers and placing them on Seto's desk.
 
“I've given a recommendation to put Joey back into your care and it just needs your signature to confirm it. As I said before I'm an only child so I can never understand what Joey's going through but I think `you' can” Seto browsed through the few leafs and then at the dotted line below Yugi's signed one. He pushed the papers back.
 
“I don't want to hurt him anymore and if anything I'd think it would have been best if I stayed away from him altogether”
 
“He smiled for me today Seto… and like it or not I think it's because he was spending time with you and Mokuba lately. I do believe that you two will be the ones to make him smile some more… Just consider it for now…” Yugi said pushing the papers back in Seto's direction before walking out of the office.
 
---------------
 
Another two weeks had passed since the conversation and the first buds of flowers were starting to open for the coming of spring. The sun was shining dimly in the sky and the ground was still a little wet from melted snow. The lunch period and the students were crowded in the cafeteria so Seto took his break out in the sunshine under his new haunt under the cherry blossom tree. He smiled as spots of colour that seemed to signify the spark of life in the seemingly dead branches and sat down to work on his laptop. He sighed leaning back as he remembered the conversation he had had with Yugi two weeks ago before he pulled out the neatly folded papers from his pocket. It was still unsigned. He read through the papers for perhaps the fourth time that day before placed it back in his pocket. It was then he noticed something white caught in the corner of his eye peeking out from among the healthy green grass. He picked up the delicate bird and stared at the slender make of its wings and neck. He tugged it to life with a pull of the tail, the wings flapped vibrantly up and down spurring up the childish delight in his heart. It was then that he realised that perhaps the bird's maker was nearby and he peeked around the large trunk and saw a pile of the paper crane's brothers nestling comfortably by the blonde's side. Seto was only able to see the side of Joey's face and right hand fiddling nimbly with the square piece of paper despite the restrictive sling that held his arm in place. Seto turned from blonde's fingers to his face and noted the shaggy blonde tresses wildly draped down his cheeks whilst long lashes fluttered once in a while but other than that the blonde's attention was fully on the bird in his hands. Seto shook his head annoyed at himself before he went back to his side of the tree and tried to get back to work. However, having knowing that the blonde was now so close he lost interest in the boring document and his eyes wondered to the other side of the tree again. Pushing his computer off his lap he peered round to his right and frowned when there was no one there. Joey had gone. With a disappointed sigh he sat back down when he suddenly came to stare at soulful brown eyes. His breath hitched and he visibly jumped in his seat when the blonde appeared on his left gazing at him in a curious wonder. Joey's hair was tied back to a loose ponytail and many of the stray tresses fell over his cheeks. He cocked his head curiously looking more of a puppy dog than Seto had ever imagined before Joey leaned down and used the CEO's lap as a pillow and continuing making his paper cranes. He lips screwed into a pout as he concentrated on making the bird as neatly as possible. Seto blinked a few times stunned by the strange display but he never spoke. He leaned against the tree pulling out the papers from his pocket again and signed it.
 
----------------
 
Sam: ^___^ Sorry again that it's so late but I hope you enjoy the chapter.