Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Pure Crimson ❯ I Promise ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A moonlit sky, a forbidden sanctuary. Beyond the depths of the mortal world lies a place of nothing but darkness…pure darkness. Nothing human lives beyond those borders and only slayers ever dare continue into the murky abyss. Souls drift through the mists of the aghast cemeteries, shimmering their light among the ashes of the dead. The streets are nothing but smooth stone pavement, milky rocks plastering the truth beyond the unmoving obscurity. The vapor in the skies quickly devoured the pure air and wreaked the scent of blood. Street lamps blinked torch lit fires onto an empty city filled with nothing but immortal obscurity. Dead trees shed their broken limbs onto the ground as flowers that only bloomed once a year withered in the frigid moisture. Everything was insipid in this place, derived of emotion, casting shadows of lonely memories in its wake. The only things thriving were open pubs and hotels that welcomed the damned and the foolish.
 
However, on looking this ghostly outcast was a castle…a fortress if one wills it. Day or night, no sun casts its rays over the castle, preventing light to come upon the towns below. Gargoyles faithfully hold torch lamps that glimmered viciously through the misty stone walls, scarlet eyes timid and unmoving. The entire wall was made of stone, all of them…decorated with skulls and skeletons slowly writhing to the bottom of the fortress. Below laid a river of black water, poisonous to slayers, luscious for vampires. Only the souls of the dead thrived in that river, seeping into the dead forests surrounding the castle. The doors were made of dead wood, engraved dragons slicing through the hearts of many slayers depicted on its two 30ft. gates. Handprints of blood can be seen plastered all over the entrance, even the windows of mosaic depictions of victorious vampire killings over the past millennia. However, no one is sure about the true appearance of the castle, for it is never the same twice. It always shifts in the night just as darkness casts its shadows. Its true form always changes so that it would forever be one with the night, cloaked in the shadows. This was the castle of vampires, where only the pure-blooded lived to rule over all darkness…the Castle of Lonely Desires.
 
Inside these walls lay a labyrinth of traps and secrets. Many suits of armor were placed along the walls of skeleton and stone, baring heavy axes and shields created to slay all intruders. Carvings of dragons and vampires were etched into the stockade with real angel wings being thrashed and torn. Many of the fabrics, tapestries, and pillows were made of angel feathers, for it was a prize possession among the vampires. Blood was continuously painted on all of the walls, showing eerie massacre and rivaled slayers who had failed in their attempts in overthrowing the castle. Chambers, such as the dining room, prison cell, torture chamber, throne room, and bedrooms were plentiful and merciless. Countless doors were everywhere, leading into an endless passageway that often takes most of the slayers with them mercilessly. But…behind the walls in the Castle of Lonely Desires, lies a dark secret…something more precious than the gods themselves…
 
The Crimson Vampire…
 
A precious creature created from one so cruel, existence lives nothing more but to serve. Though stronger than most, it lies dormant in a cathedral below, surrounded by chambers created by the depths of hell to withstand all intruders. Only the most skilled and arrogant (possibly foolish) can reach the hidden cavity where the creature lays…never stirring…ever silent.
 
Lonely footsteps wandered into the chambers, avoiding all obstacles in its path. Long flashing obsidian black hair carelessly weaved around traps and flying swords. Pale slim fingers mastered the shadows around its tips. A long black cloak with etchings of a red dragon on its cover swayed in the pure flames spewed from the torches. Dark black boots with metal buckles continued echo faint sounds of footsteps. The vampire had a strong endurance, with a balance of muscular biceps to match. He had scars all over his back and a scar etched into his left eye. He had one cerulean eye, and the one with the scar, pure golden. Around his neck was an obsidian crystal, surrounded by silver dragons embracing its darkness. His fangs bore nicely as he stared into the eyes of the metal dragon. The silver eyed creature allowed him to pass, its body shifting to the side. The vampire smiled and stepped into the chamber…
 
It was a cathedral…a dome-shaped roof above its grounds. The floor was a complete vast lake of blood, angel's blood. Stone steps lead around the stone prison with stairs and proceeded in a circle around an earthen marble, slowly leading to a circular island fit for at least seven people. Dragon statues flew out of the walls, unmoving with mouths wide open showing teeth and all, pools of blood flowing right out of their jaws. Each dragon had rubies as eyes, gleaming in the mosaic outlines of windows above depicting the miracles of the crimson vampire. Eternal youth, ultimate power, elixir of life, and complete loyalty were all but a mere glimpse of the vampire's gifts, marked on every massive window that shown through the moonlight. The vampire began walking down the spiraling stairs, allowing the crimson blood to reflect his glorious features. Ebony tapestries of vampires once before hung with gold and crystal, draping down to the bottom of the stairs. Only one has ever gone through the chambers alive…and only one was allowed to enter unharmed…that someone was…
 
Valiore
 
The vampire smirked as it approached the circular island. It was made of precious marble, crafted to be smooth and nothing more. Lying on its surface was a golden pyramid, dragons etched as merely outlines, allowing everything else become holes to peek through. It was quite tall, its tip ascending to about 50 feet. Inside the cage were many pillows made of angel feathers and sinuous satin. Many of the pillows were black and red with either silver or golden tips. Many ebony blankets cloaked the pillows and the precious soul that laid in its wake. As Valiore came closer, he smiled as he reached the entrance to the pyramid, allowing himself to stand outside its cage.
 
Inside lay a youth…gorgeous and peaceful. His skin was a nice beige, not too pale, but not to bronze either. Ebony spiked hair lay smoothly on the pillow with scarlet tips naturally tainted at the end of each strand. Golden bangs were loosely drifting on the pillows, untouched by the wind. Around his neck was a robust ebony buckle that protected that precious area from any “unsuspecting” intruders and a beautifully crafted white obsidian crystal, white dragons encircling its contents. The youth was wearing black leather shirt and pants with a double belt showing a little of his skin above the beltline. Strong arms tattooed with a black dragon on each arm lay flat across the pillows. Black satin slippers were hidden under the blanket the cloaked the youth's legs. Claws could be seen at the end of each fingertip, gleaming in the golden pyramid's reflection. Shades of light cast it shadow on the youth's face, revealing adoring skin. Crimson eyes were hidden behind closed eyelids. His mouth was a little open, showing glimpse of two fangs sharper than god's deadly kiss. His chest was rising and steadily falling as he lay on his side facing Valiore.
 
The vampire lord smiled and slowly reached through the bars with his arm, crouching down to his knees. He was easily able to reach the sleeping form because the vampire lay very close to the bars. Stroking through ebony and scarlet hair that felt like luscious satin, Valiore couldn't take his eyes off the boy. He looked so young…his countenance never ceasing…yet the youth was even older than Valiore's ancestors. My…the gods should be proud. If not…jealous.
 
Valiore withdrew his hand gradually. Crimson eyes began to open, revealing demonic pupils and a dull glimmer on the surface. They only opened half way when they shifted towards the vampire lord, gazing preciously into Valiore's own.
 
“May I come in?” Valiore whispered. The youth shifted a little, leisurely rising so that the upper half of his body was off the ground, supported by sturdy and somewhat muscular arms, claws slowly seeping into the cushions. The creature blinked, and simply stared, signs of confusion written all over. The youth began to crawl towards the entrance, Valiore following his every step. The vampire lord stopped when the being before him began to succumb to his knees and gaze at this stranger before him. The Valiore's amusement, the creature grasped the designs of his cage, as if curious to meet this newcomer. Smiling, Valiore allowed his claw to excavate the design of what looked to be a straight black line. From top to bottom, Valiore slowly unlocked every single enchantment by just skimming through them. When it came to the bottom, a click could be heard and the door opened, revealing the entrance to the youth's containment. The creature released the door and backed away, giving room to this new vampire. Valiore allowed himself to cross the threshold and sit beside the youth, slowly closing the golden door behind him. Stretching a welcoming hand, the vampire lord began to stroke through the creature's hair, soft and luscious…
 
“You were so weary last I saw you down here,” Valiore commented, “Well…at least you are alive, Yami…” Darkness blinked its eyelids, listening to the stranger and enjoying the feel of life at last.
 
“How long have you been down here I wonder…spending your life in a prison not meant for a being such as yourself. It must be hard for you, living off nothing but the blood that dwells in your chamber.” Darkness looked into amber and cerulean, as if an innocent child just meeting its father. Valiore noticed something on the youth's arm just under the wrist. Quickly, Yami hid the exposure in the shadows that cage had to offer. Valiore narrowed his eyes.
 
“Let me see your arm.” Wincing at his orders, darkness allowed Valiore gently lifted the creature's arm and shook his head. Yami looked away, finding amusement in his own shadow that lay before him. A shred of some fabric as silent as the wind and soon darkness turned. Valiore was ripping some of his own clothes and slowly draping the wound in its content. Surprise and utter bewilderment was written all over Yami's face as he stared at Valiore, unsure of what to do.
 
“This is nothing for you to be ashamed of,” Valiore spoke, “Drinking your own blood for survival…it just shows how willing you are to go for life. I respect that greatly.” After one last tug, the injury was dressed and Yami stared at his own flesh hidden behind the cloth. Silence befell both of them, not one willing to continue the conversation.
 
“My dearest friend…I have only seen you twice in my life,” Valiore began, “When I was an adolescent and now this. I was always told never to visit you because you were so harmful…and now…I don't know why they meant otherwise. When I first looked at you when I was young, I saw that you were much more elegant than all the paintings in the castle, even the angels that I hunted for. You were pure, yet you were darkness…a hidden light that no one could see.”
 
“Now that I am older, and worthy to see you, I must comply that yes…I am sad.” Yami's eyes lifted in its gaze, opening wide by what his lord was saying. Slowly the youth crawled towards Valiore, until they were nothing but a feet away, allowing the vampire lord to drape his long cape around the youth's shoulders.
 
“I am sad…because…I will never see you again. I am afraid that my life will be cut short tonight.” The vampire lord felt something drip onto his pale hands. Yami was shedding tears, landing gracefully onto Valiore's hand. Smiling sadly, he began to rub them away, hoping to comfort darkness.
 
“I believe that my father was hiding you from me for his selfish reasons,” Valiore continued, “He was looking for you, wasn't he? That bastard…eventually my father gave up searching and told me to never seek you out for you would kill me if I came near.” Patting Yami's head affectionately, he continued…
 
“And look at us now. You have shed tears for my sake instead of relishing yourself in my blood. What horrible things father has said about you. `He is a demon that will take your very soul' and `He is not good enough for you…nothing but a filthy vampire murdering all who seek him'. Now…I have a feeling that they were mere lies, created from a father I had never loved. I gaze at you and nothing but the gods touch my hands.” Yami blinked in astonishment and for the first time…smiled. Valiore began cupping the youth's left cheek and allowed Yami to comfort himself deeper into the vampire lord's hand softly.
 
“You remind me of a pet I used to have,” Valiore chuckled, “He was a gentle soul. Horus…I think. My father always hated that little bird…saying that it was too bright for the castle. Too bright eh? That was the most ridiculous thing I had ever heard. Well, he did have a point. The feathers of that bird were so closely related to Re that anymore would have the same affects as the sun. I had no choice but to let Horus go…never to see him again. The same goes for you, I think. You were too luscious for the castle, so you were placed in your eternal prison. I finally meet you, loving your precious form already. And now…I have to let you go…” Yami stopped abruptly and soon continued his affection by nudging closer now to the Valiore. Multi colored eyes blinked and hands stroked Yami's temple, massaging it gingerly.
 
“I was sad when I saw Horus leave me…and I will just be as sad when I have to leave you too, my dearest Yami…” Crimson eyes gazed pleadingly at Valiore, wanting the vampire to stay with him. Valiore shook his visage and rested his head on top of the youth's own.
 
“I know…that it is hard for you Yami,” Valiore whispered, “to live with someone that you know will die. To repeat a life where your master keeps dying…it must be torture for you. I know that I am young and have only ruled over these lands for 100 years, but I am afraid that my time is up.” Yami was shivering…cold and alone, despite the presence of someone next to him. Valiore frowned. He knew all too well. Even though he only saw him twice, he knew how the young vampire felt. To be alone and to be held by someone that was going to die while remaining on a forbidden earth was the most horrible thing in life for this one's soul…even death was much better than this. But that upon which should be dreamt of should not be provoked.
 
“Listen to me Yami…” Valiore spoke softly, “I will not be able to protect you or see you any longer. I can only regret that I had not found you sooner. I know that my ancestors wished to protect you, and I must protect you as well, even after death.” Yami was slowly falling asleep, eyes closing. Valiore rubbed Yami's back to keep him awake just for a few moments.
 
“I must ask you permission…to allow me to guide you through the darkness if there need any…and to help you escape from the darkness so that you may thrive in the light once more. The curse that was laid upon you millennia ago has left you in the shadows of others. I do not wish for you to be burden with such atrocities. Please allow me to do this for you, my dearest crimson.” Yami's eyes perked half open. Weakly, the boy nodded. Valiore allowed the boy's head to lay against his chest as the vampire lord slowly reached for his neck. Carefully, he unbuckled the garment and slipped the contraption away, leaving beautiful and luscious skin to the world.
 
“May my blood protect yours and guide you through the darkness, my dearest…so that you may be free from this wretched place…” With that, Valiore took both of Yami's shoulders into his soft hands and proceeded in his ritual. Valiore closed his eyes and slowly pierced into Yami's neck, allowing crimson liquid to seep through the youth's clothing and into his mouth. Yami stared at the ceiling of his imprisonment, strength and blood slowly leaving his precious body. He obediently allowed the vampire lord to take his blood, excruciating pain yielding to numbness rocking him to sleep. Valiore began to lick the precious skin and dig deeper into the youth's blood system, his fangs sharpening and allowed blood to profusely flow into his already tainted mouth. The vampire lord released Yami's left shoulder and began piercing through Yami's back, slowly snaking down in a straight line. Yami bent is head backwards as far as they could, now facing the ceiling vertically. His mouth opened a little to allow the sensation he was feeling escape a little. Valiore continued to take his blood and drain his life away…still piercing through his back with his long sharp claws.
 
Valiore took his hand away from Yami's backside and began holding the youth towards him, pushing the vampire's hip forwards. This resulted in Yami falling towards Valiore as the vampire lord continued his ritual. Minutes seemed like hours and Valiore began to face his luscious greed, but he knew better. Slowly he released Yami's neck and allowed the youth to fall onto his chest, heaving deep breaths. Valiore leaned forward to allow his jaw hover Yami's exposed and crimson neck.
 
“May the gods know that it is I who protects you, for my blood shall embrace yours and seep through your veins.” Valiore opened his mouth to reveal fangs tainted with the youth's blood. It quickly shifted from crimson to dark ebony and began to yield to the ground. Cold liquid began to fall slowly onto Yami's neck, undulating down his skin and into his wounds gratefully accepted. Yami neither grimaced nor cried. All he did was let Valiore yield him into his arms. Cradling the youth, Valiore embraced Yami tighter, his lips close to the youth's left cheek. He too, was tired and only wished to stay awake just a bit longer…
 
“You're chains will break and soon you will be free. The curse of my family will be lifted from your soul. It has been an eternity since you were born from the shadows of the angels…it is time that you returned to them.” Valiore's words were soothing and gentle…nothing but a gentle whisper to the vampire. Crimson eyes closed, dreamlessly waiting for unconsciousness to embrace him. Valiore stroked Yami's neck, precious skin meeting his own.
 
“I won't be here for long, my precious. My brother, Kentrar…he carries the soul of our father. If it is true…then this is the last time I will embrace you like this. My first…and final time. However…I will not let him have you.” Valiore tightened his grip around Yami.
 
“You are my little vampire…you are my precious…the flickering light inside of my soul. You are the only one of our kind that shall be free of our curse. I will not allow Kentrar to taint you…yield you to his blood. That blood is yours to control and no one else. I have given you my blood to protect you from his. It is all I can give to you…”
 
“I wish I could offer more…but I am afraid that time is running out for me. I am sorry that I didn't come to see you sooner or else…you wouldn't be down here for so long…alone in the darkness.” Yami shifted against Valiore, tears and hushed voices escaping him. Valiore smiled and began to stroke Yami's hair affectionately.
 
“Hush, Yami. Do not be sad for my endeavor. You are more precious to me than myself. I do not wish for you to be sad any longer. Now…look at me.” Valiore cupped Yami's face in his hands and held it so that their eyes met. Yami's expression was covered with tears, each drop rolling down his visage and onto Valiore's hands. The tears wouldn't stop…why wouldn't they?
 
“Stop crying…you shouldn't be crying,” Valiore comforted, “Now listen closely. I won't be here to protect you…and when you are free from this place…no one will be able to protect you. Even with my blood running through your veins, Kentrar will continue to hunt you down. That won't change.”
 
“There is something that I want you to do for me.” Tears began to dry quickly.
 
“You are special…you are a precious vampire who's being is not of darkness but of a tainted light. I want you to understand that you are not a monster but that you are someone who is lost. Someone needs to take your hand and guide you no matter how much you want to deny it. I know that you are very wise, proud, and forever loyal…but even the purest of darkness must need the aid of a gentle light. I wish I could take care of you myself though. However, as you can see, I am not an angel.”
 
“I know…that it will be hard for you to leave this castle…but you MUST! This place…it has the protection you need…but it doesn't have what _you_ need…what _you_ want the most. Despite what this palace can give, something is amiss. As all of us know…vampires cannot stand the light, the mortals, and even love. But you _need_ all of that Yami. Do you understand? You need the light and you need someone to care for you when I am gone.”
 
“Here is what I want you to do. When the time is right…I want you to run away from this place. It may not be tonight, or tomorrow…or maybe even years from now. But when it does come…I want you to run away from here…run as far away as possible and never look back. Run as fast as you can…away from this living hell. You will be alone for a while…I know…but eventually, you will meet someone that will be willing to take care of you…someone who is just like you…caring and loyal. I don't know who this person is, but I can tell you now that you will know who it is once you see them. The minute your eyes meet, you will know it is them.”
 
“I don't care if this person is another vampire or even a slayer. I just know that this person is whom you should protect.” Yami's eyes become determined and unwavering. Valiore grinned at this.
 
“Yami…I know that it is your duty to protect the vampire lords of this castle…but I also know that it is your duty to protect the ones you love. I can promise you that you will never love Kentrar the way you have with the others. In fact…I know that you will _loathe_ him. Things have changed and you know that, but when you meet this person…that burning desire to protect will strengthen…just like you shed your tears for my sake. This person will be special to you…and this undying need to protect shall never leave. Take care of this person and take care of yourself. I know that you will do the right thing Yami…I have faith in you.”
 
“But understand this…I want you to live a long life…a normal life among mortals…it is what all vampires desire and live for, to once again become one with the living and leave the life of the damned. I know that you will find a way…somehow.” The moon was beginning to set from the windows of the cathedral. Yami had listened to everything Valiore said…and this pleased the vampire lord. Slowly, Valiore released Yami and allowed the vampire to back away gently into his cage. Valiore rose and proceeded to the entrance. He felt a tug and saw that Yami was pulling on his cape with his fangs driven inside of its cloth. Valiore smiled and bent down once more to pet the young vampire's head.
 
“I have to go…Yami, but I promise I will never leave your side. I will always be with you…” Valiore reached out for the neck garment that had been tossed away aimlessly. Within moments he buckled it around Yami's neck. Valiore, then, reached for his trinket around his neck and slowly took it off and put it around his precious crimson. Yami's eyes widened as the obsidian crystal began to sooth his skin.
 
“When your light is diminished…I shall comfort you in the darkness.” Valiore rose and turned away, creeping out of the golden pyramid cage. Yami was following him slowly when Valiore turned.
 
“No…Yami,” Valiore commanded, “You must stay here. You will not leave…not until you think it is best for you to. When the moon sets from this cathedral, you will know when it is time.” Yami nodded and obediently sat still on his knees as Valiore closed the door to his imprisonment. Valiore once more stroked darkness.
 
“Stay…”
 
The youth didn't want Valiore to go…not now. But he knew that his master would not allow him to leave…not yet. The vampire lord began to ascend to the exits hidden within the shadows. A seal was placed at all points and Valiore slipped into the center of his choosing. Within a fading dream, the vampire was gone, leaving the Yami alone.
 
 
Clouds tainted by the vapor of cracked blood and decaying bodies approached the vampire's dwelling. Valiore was standing at the up most tower, surveying the streets that lay before his domain.
 
“A storm approaches unto thee,” he whispered, “My little crimson, they know of your pain…and they will relish my death. If anything, for the better, stay where you are my precious…safe from the gods that come hither so.” With that, Valiore descended into the grounds of the dead forest below, covering himself with his cape and landing gracefully on the broken dreams below. Pushing lockets of ebony hair out of his eyes, Valiore scanned the area. No sign of life thus far. He began to walk slowly, each step carrying him towards Hell.
 
The Forest of Ruling…it was usually the battle grounds for many opposing creatures, vampire or not. Many have entered and so few have been left. Unmarked graves were scattered among the devil's domain. Trees of the dead were fed the flesh of the helpless continuously. Liberators seek victims as death is cast every night in the Forest of Ruling. Tonight has become most malevolent. A full moon casts its light across the skeletons of the trees, awakening all that dwelled in the forest. Souls of those lost drift silently in the wind as the smell of vapor arose in the mists. The creatures peeked from their hiding and stared at Valiore as he passed, licking their lips in lust.
 
A struggle was to commence, a duel for the crown. Nothing was forbidden…for nothing living would be here to argue. Every night, it is just the same. Kill, be or killed, or be devoured along with your opponent by the souls of Hell. Either way, one was to die, or else all shall perish. The creatures came closer, only to back away by the glare shot by the vampire lord, retreating like the bloody cowards they were. Valiore sighed. Only typical for such low lives…evolution had created such terrible creatures now days. He had reached the edge of a lake created from the tears of the damned. Here…his own blood would be stained with his brother's…accumulating in the precious mist of the fallen angel's begging. The aroma would become lustful once again and consume the damned and the foolish as always.
 
`Kentrar will be coming soon,' Valiore thought, `Out of all the people I had to share my after-life with, Kentrar just happened to be one of them. Just like our father, his soul has been tainted by the anger of the devil's sanctuary. His greed for power has increased, and soon, that greed will turn to lust for a certain crimson someone I know. It is too late to save his soul, I know that. He has already committed the seven sins and will never be able to rise to heaven. His father's inheritance was passed down to him, not me. I was nothing more but a wretched son to him.' (1) Valiore looked at his right hand and lifted it up into the sky, trying to grasp what was left of the precious moon.
 
`I know that if I fight Kentrar, I will also be fighting my ancestors. The blood of our father rushes mercilessly through my brother's veins and lacks in my own. I will be skirmishing in a dying battle…but it shall not be a lost cause. Darkness…if anything, I wish I could stay by your side and comfort you for the rest of my life. However, because of this fate…I cannot. I do not think it best for you to continue your sulking in a place that you wish not to smear your blood on. I cannot allow you to bare the burden of living in a castle for eternity and watch the master you love or hate die and be replaced by another. I shall give you the freedom that you seek and the protection you need. The rest is up to you. I promise…I will not allow Kentrar to taint you and keep you there forever like all the others have…as long as you don't break your promise to me.'
 
“What the hell are you doing?” A voice struck Valiore and looked from his hand to the source of that voice.
 
“Kentrar…” His brother stood before him, emerging from the darkness within the shadows. Kentrar was completely different from his brother, Valiore. He had pale skin, a medium body frame, and short silver hair. His eyes matched the soul in his heart, a silver ebony dark with visible slits as pupils. His fangs were bared in his smirk as his pallid outfit cloaked his tainted body. He wore white satin for a shirt and pants, with white boots to match. The worst of it…he was completely covered with scarlet…no doubt turning the humans again to his will. How sickening he looked as Kentrar stepped forward, a smug look on his face.
 
“You know…sometimes I wonder if we are even related,” Kentrar teased, “If I remember correctly, our father actually hunted down humans for pleasure instead of trying to grasp the moon all night.” Valiore closed his eyes and remained calm, turning his unreadable visage towards his blood and dropping his hand to the side.
 
“Well, unlike you…I have no desire to be like our father. Now…what is it that you want from me?” Dead silence became unavoidable. The wind hissed at the two glowering vampires, sinking its claws into the water's mirror and slashing leaves off the branches of already broken trees. Nothing was said…nothing was told…anything to prolong the inevitable.
 
“I came to take my father's name back,” Kentrar answered smartly, “You know…ever since our father died, you have become the next heir to the throne. Of course, the crown should have been mine, but only the oldest could possibly become what the damned would always dream of. Feh…you sicken me! You haven't even started a bloody war for the past century that you have been ruling and you even made a pack with the slayers and angels. You son of a bitch…IF OUR FATHER WAS HERE…”
 
“Well, he isn't now is he,” Valiore interrupted, “I only did what I thought was right for us, for the damned. Is it our fault that Satan just had to play with evolution and create us beings from the depths of mortal women? (2) I think not. Our will to survive is crucial…yes…but that doesn't mean we have to kill everything we set our eyes on.”
 
“Damn it, Valiore…we're all going to hell anyway!” Kentrar screeched, “Have you forgotten? We vampires are damned to a life in hell before we even get there! No matter how innocent we were before…nothing changes. We are children of Satan himself…we are destined to go to Hell when our life is over.”
 
“Don't you think I know that already?!” Valiore scolded, “That's why we are given immortality…so we don't have to meet Hell in the face! If we continuously go to war with the slayers and angels, more of our kind will die and all of us will be dancing on fire! I have been trying to make peace with our kind so that none of us will make the same mistakes our ancestors made.”
 
“You are being selfish, Valiore,” Kentrar spat, “We are the dancing fire, we are the darkness…our species will never be laid to rest, not until every fuckin one of us is dead! You are merely afraid of death and play with the minds of our kind that there might be a heaven that will accept us. Well, damn you to oblivion is all I can say for you! If you think that making a truce between the slayers and the angels will help us, it won't! We are vampires, Valiore! We do what we want whenever we want. We are hunters of the night, the fear of the light. If you think you can draw boundaries between us and the slayers then you are wrong! See, unlike you, I actually go out there and feed on the pathetic humans and let hell loose, unlike you who believes in redemption and living our life out in a hope that isn't even real.”
 
Valiore showed no sign of anger nor was he surprised by Kentrar's remarks. Indeed, life was but a mere illusion for vampires, damned to an eternity in Hell. Still, there was something in his mind, something that remained. The Crimson Vampire…he was born different from the rest. Instead of living a life of the damned to its fullest, the vampire chose to stay in the castle to protect the lords who ruled over the dominion of the damned, even though he was given a future that could possibly free him. There had to be a reason why his precious crimson would be given such abilities and _still_ chose to protect the vampires instead of going after slayers himself. Could darkness be trying to tell him something…heck to all the vampires? Is there a reason why darkness was protecting him and going through such lengths as to survive on his own blood?
 
“I am well aware of what our lives are…” Valiore spoke, “But I believe that there is hope for our species. What if we were put here for a reason instead of simply living our lives just to go to Satan's pit? What if we were given the same opportunity to repent for what we have become and join those in heaven? What if…”
 
“Enough with the `what ifs!' Kentrar bellowed, “This is why I never even liked you! You keep asking questions about things you already know. I can easily answer them for you. Observe.” Kentrar unsheathed his crimson sword and attacked Valiore. Without warning, Valiore blocked it with his twin blade, barely saving himself from oblivion. (3)
 
“You talk too much for your own good,” Kentrar pointed out, “You know…I wouldn't talk if I were you…” Valiore's brother hissed, “Lesser chance of actually living to see tomorrow.” Valiore growled and countered by quickly shoving his knee into Kentrar's gut. The vampire quickly backed away, only to be struck by Valiore's brute force upon his sword. Kentrar smirked and allowed his crimson blade to expand and catch his opponent off guard. Relentlessly, he hacked away at his brother, each word spoken followed with another attack.
 
“We were put here because we are killers.”
 
“We are never given the same life as others.”
 
“We are Satan's servants, his flesh and blood.”
 
“We will never go to Heaven.” A devastating blow was aimed at the vampire lord and forced him to slide onto his back. Quickly, he rolled to his side to escape another attack from Kentrar. Valiore resumed his fighting stance and ran towards the lake, stopping when his feet touched its banks while his brother leapt into the trees and stared with malicious silver eyes.
 
“Face is, Valiore,” Kentrar whispered loudly, “The gods never liked us, and none ever will. You are merely succumbing to a false hope that is a simply one of your foolish desires.” Kentrar soared into the sky and land on his feet, crouching down and regaining his balance smoothly.
 
“But don't worry…I'll make sure you never walk on this Earth again.” The vampire charged at the lake, cackling with his sword with his sword held stiffly to his side.

”Once you're out of the way, all Hell will break loose and I shall have my fun with your little precious crimson.” Valiore winced and instantly reacted by raising his twin blade and countered by ducking under the sword and forcing his blade into Kentrar's stomach. The vampire gasped as Valiore used his weight to slam his brother into the trees.
 
“It seems I struck a cord now didn't I?” Kentrar spat, blood dripping from his cracked lips. Immediately, Valiore thrust his twin blade to his side, sending Kentrar into the waters of the lake, blood tainting the tears of the old. The vampire lord was losing terribly, his breathing becoming more harsh and rapid, words pouring out in desperate breaths.
 
“You will not speak of darkness like that!” Valiore bellowed, “You have no right to even look at him.” Kentrar began to sit up, wiping the blood from his mouth with the back of his left hand, the other still clutching a precious sword.
 
“Why the sudden change, Valiore?” Kentrar smirked, “If I had known better, I'd say you were in love with that bastard. We all can't be fathers you know.”
 
“What purpose does it serve for you to know if I care about darkness?” Kentrar smiled with confidence and began to rise from a suddenly scarlet pool of water. At first, there was a smirk, then a snigger, and soon after, an eerie cackling that reached as high as the crows themselves.
 
“It serves all that I could ever want,” Kentrar laughed, “See, unlike you, I have other things to do with that so called `Crimson Vampire.' As we both know, our father was very fond of him, claiming that he had abilities beyond comprehension. In the hands of the slayers, he is valuable; but in the hands of our own kind, he is priceless. His form is of the gods, something that Satan would never grant.”
 
“As we both know, the Crimson Vampire is hidden in the castle somewhere, a place upon which no vampire can enter no matter what the status an individual is.”
 
Valiore stepped towards his brother, readying his sword. Kentrar did the same, holding his crimson blade up to his lips.
 
“The fact that you have feelings for that bastard just proves that you were able to enter the chamber,” Kentrar concluded, “If you are able to pass through those bloody traps then I should be able to. I couldn't however because there was a barrier in my way. I am assuming that the Crimson Vampire has control over the barrier and wouldn't let me pass.” Kentrar began to charge at his brother, sword held high.
 
“However, once I kill you, I will become the vampire lord. Then, he will have no choice but to yield to me!” Valiore blocked Kentrar's attack, rage fueling his every will to survive. It soon came to the point that his sword was cracking, pieces of steel falling endlessly into the lake. Kentrar licked his lips.
 
“It seems that you're luck is slipping. Satan must not be on your side today.” Valiore withdrew quickly and retreated to another part of the lake. Kentrar, however, outmatched him, splatters of water rippling through the air. Kentrar shoved his sword into Valiore's gut, forcing his blade unto his brother's viscera until the sword came out the other end. Valiore gasped into Kentrar's chest, weakening as blood began to fall endlessly into Kentrar's own. The pain was unbearable, excruciating to the point of Hell itself. His defeat was evident, but nothing was over…not until the vampire screams. Sword still imbedded in Valiore's stomach, Kentrar took it upon himself to lay his head on his brother's chest, whispering cacophonously into sensitive ears.
 
“Do you want to know the reason why I want that precious vampire of yours?” Kentrar whispered, taking note of Valiore's furrowing brow, “It's because I am in love with him.” Valiore only wished that he could gasp, but his nervous system was too weakened to allow it.
 
“Ever since father showed us his pretty little face, I have been searching for years in the castle, trying to find him wherever he laid. But to no avail did my attempts become. Every day that I slept, every night that I hunted, all I could see what his eyes…those precious crimson eyes staring into my own. Oh…how I wanted those eyes for my own, his body pressed against mine, but no…I could only dream…dream until the day I would be able to see him once more. I have waited for too long…waiting for our father to die and for you to perish…but it seems that I will have to do the dirty work myself.”
 
“Face it, Valiore. You were never strong enough to defeat me, and now you never will. That vampire of yours will belong to me once you're out of the way. Oh what joy it shall bring me to gaze into those precious scarlet irises once more and actually be able to touch him and make him my own. It's a shame really, to spoil such a pretty thing. He will have no choice but to serve me because that's why he is here in the first place…to serve us and nothing more.” Gripping Valiore's shoulders tightly, he gazed into angry cerulean and gold.
 
“Once your blood runs through my veins, my power shall grow and ultimately make me vampire lord. Face it, Valiore, you've lost and you are going straight to Hell…not to mention losing what is most precious to you forever.” Valiore stared into the moon's gaze with pleading eyes, begging to stay with his darkness once more. For the first time this night, he did not wish to die…he was afraid to die. His eyes widened when Kentrar began to sink his fangs into his silken flesh, allowing blood to flow profusely from his broken body.
 
Through all of this pain, he found peace with himself, the same feeling he had felt with his precious crimson vampire. He smiled…closing his eyes and darkness enveloped his vision. He was snickering actually, in amusement by Kentrar's actions. He said something to his brother before drifting into a glorious oblivion.
 
“You'll never taint him, Kentrar…he will escape from you one day, never to return. And once he does, your heart will stop as you search until the ends of the Earth for all eternity.” Valiore laughed quietly, closing his eyelids at last and dropping his twin blade into the depths of the lake.
 
“I'll protect you…”
 
“I promise…” Souls drifted sadly around the lake, feeling the pain of a lost vampire, killed by the hands of his own brother. Valiore drew his last breath, clearly seen through the crystal air and went limp as his soul dispersed from his body, leaving the Earth to ruin. Lockets of hair fell towards the water, skin becoming a ghost's glory, blood running dry from a pained death.
 
Kentrar thrust his dead brother away from him and stared into his hands. He noticed that his senses were becoming much more accurate, his claws sharper than ever, and his fangs more deadly than the devil's kiss. He stared into the crimson pool of blood that had scattered in the lake, staring into not silver, but hellish golden eyes. Kentrar laughed and began to walk away, sheathing his crimson sword and leaving his brother behind.
 
“Valiore, you were damned since the day you were born. You were a fool and nothing more. You didn't deserve to live. I hope you enjoy your stay down there in Hell, because it looks like Satan has just named me a vampire lord.” With that, Kentrar disappeared into the shadows, a corpse left in a lake of pure crimson.
 
 
Crimson eyes snapped open, awakening to a sudden feeling in his stomach. Yami stared at the entrance to his cage, the abyss still evident to his senses. The vampire looked around, shivering as his heart began to beat slowly and become less productive in sending blood flow in his body. He had felt this feeling before…this feeling of cold…of sadness. Had Satan just taken yet another life? Yami rose, allowing black satin blankets to disperse. He walked towards the entrance, examining its golden seal. Carefully pressing his palm against the golden frame, he easily pushed it open, a little sound escaping the aged relic. Surprised by this, he crept out of his cage, the moon gleaming on his beige skin and admiring the being that stood in its warm gaze. The vampire glanced at the seals near the exits of the chamber. He slowly found one, a circular design containing a tower with dragons on the rim. Darkness quickly sprinted across the bridge of marble over the pools of angel's blood and stepped into the center. Instantly, his body felt light and ascended a few inches above the ground, the shadows enveloping his body as the seal transported him to the highest tower.
 
As he stood there, gazing at the magnificence of the landscape, he saw that much has changed since he was outside. It had been centuries since the last vampire lord allowed him air to breathe. There were actual lights in the cities below, actual _people_ roaming the streets. How desperately he wanted to rush down and claim one for his own, but his crimson eyes averted towards the lake in the Forest of Ruling. This scent of blood…its familiar….and it seems to be fresh. He leapt off the tower easily and allowed his claws to lengthen about 2-3 inches as he landed on the stone floor before him, not injuring a single bone in his body. On all fours, Yami raced through the forest, avoiding trees and slashing at unsuspecting “obstacles” that were in his way. He moved faster than the light's shadow as he hurried towards the lake, leaves stirring in his wake. Seconds seemed like hours as Yami forced his body towards the source of blood. The creatures hurriedly avoided the vampire, hoping not to get trampled by his efforts.
 
Once at the lake, Yami stopped, graveyard soil becoming evident in the mists of the forest. The moon cast its light on the lake, its ripples glistening with pure intent. The wind brushed against his face, as the trees danced in its glory. The ground has becoming soaked with blood and softened over years of rain and torment. The smell of blood was overwhelming as Yami came closer to the banks of the lake. The water had turned crimson on the surface, its content no longer drinkable. Trails of broken tree limbs and ashes were scattered on the grounds of the forest, mostly along the banks of the lake. The angels weren't singing, the creatures were ever stirring. Yami looked towards the water's visage and saw something submerged halfway in its contents. Curious, he slowly crept into the lake; souls respectively cleared a path for him. Darkness blinked at the sight before, and turned the corpse over with his claws.
 
Valiore lay still, not drawing a single breath. His corpse was immobile, his blood low in substance. His outfit was drenched in blood and tainted water, while his skin was pale as a soul's appearance. The vampire was dead…his soul taken away into the depths of Hell. The once caring vampire lord had lost his fight, leaving Yami alone once more. The vampire shook his head, tears forming in his already sullied eyes. He nudged the body with his head, hoping for some miracle that his master was alive, that he would breathe once more. Nothing changed.
 
Yami looked towards the creatures, staring into their lustful eyes. He made a low growl, bearing his surprisingly long fangs and a quick glare before the creatures decided to leave the vampire alone. Yami gazed into Valiore's suffering as his tears began to cease. It was hard to bear, but nothing could be done. Valiore had kept his promise…he would die tonight, paying his precious crimson one last visit before his death. Slowly, Yami opened his mouth, allowing his fangs to press against Valiore's flesh, grabbing his master by the neck. Silently, he dragged Valiore's limp body away from the lake, leaving ashes of regret in the ripples of water that lay sullied behind.
 
 
Souls followed close behind the two vampires as they began their leave. Valiore's body was on Yami's back as the crimson vampire positioned it so after the incident in the lake. He never spoke…he never cried…and he never showed any feelings of anger. Deep down he was incredibly depressed. Another soul lost…another master taken. Yami had lost count on how many had died during his lifetime. He didn't want to think about. The souls seem to think the same thoughts and they drifted now close by the vampire, in hopes that their presence may be of some comfort. It worked a little, but it could not sew the pains in the vampire's heart.
 
The creatures, in respect, stepped out of the way as Yami made his way through the forest, still on his hands and feet. For some reason, it was a custom for him to be in that position. Walking hasn't occurred much since he couldn't escape the chamber for centuries yet to come. Besides…there wasn't enough blood in his system for him to walk…balance on two legs. It was sad…a vampire that could not hunt and could not live a life of its own…trapped inside a castle for almost his entire life. What more could Satan possibly want from his now?
 
After an hour of walking, Yami had reached the edge of the Forest of Ruling and near the entrance to the castle. He desperately needed to avoid the guards today. Immediately, he gazed towards the walls and noticed the gargoyles on the ledges. Walking towards the wall, he scratched softly against its stone texture, soft enough for the guards not to hear. A gargoyle nearby opened its eyes, golden bright to illuminate some of the sky. It turned its head towards Yami and gave a smile. The gargoyle jumped off of its ledge and onto another that was empty above Yami's own. Instantly, a passageway was revealed, sediment falling because of its old age. Yami gave a bow to the gargoyle and dragged his master into the chamber on his back, leaving the gargoyle to its work.
 
Instantly, the chamber closed. The souls outside were forbidden to go any further. With a last attempt to stay, they swiveled around the crimson vampire, bidding their farewells as they left Yami to do his work. Sadly, he turned towards the darkness of the chamber, using his senses to depict which direction to turn to. Closing his eyes, Yami began to walk forward, feeling a warm sensation brush against his cheek. It was a circular crevice, warm and soothing. The vampire pressed against it, claws now returning to normal size. The stone softly retreated into the wall, releasing a flame that traveled along the numerous designs on the wall. After a blinding speculation, the flames had illuminated the walls, their designs of vampires and dragons evident. The torches were now lit, shimmering in its glory. The vampire heaved a sigh and stared into the room.
 
This was a tomb…built by the original owners of the castle to forever bury the bodies of vampire lords past in its chambers. Countless tombs and coffins were placed behind the gates of fire that looks seemingly like magnificent designs of architecture. Yami has visited this place one far too many. It was horrific...overwhelming. The masters he once served under were all here, their corpses only cloaked by the stones of time. This place brought horrible memories, ones that were simply to vivid for the vampire to bear. Yami turned towards the center of the room, where a beautiful relic lay still.
 
It was a stone coffin, wrapped in ebony satin and filled with the sent of dying flowers. Gently, Yami slid his master down on the floor once more, once again clutching his neck by his own fangs and dragging him into the coffin. The vampire pushed the former lord's legs into the coffin with his forehead, allowing his master to lie peacefully in his coffin. Only once in a lifetime will a vampire look so peaceful…and that is when they are dead. The comfort of their deaths is all that gives them freedom, the knowledge of no return. Yami reached for his neck and undid his own garments. His white obsidian necklace was all that he had left to give Valiore in his death to the underworld. Carefully, he wrapped the necklace around Valiore's palms and gazed at its wonder, smiling…but only to fade away once more.
 
Yami could smell something…a scent that was familiar to him. It was the same as Valiore's only more tainted by the devil's hand. The smell was overwhelming and atrocious. This blood was certainly not as pure as Valiore's. The crimson vampire assumed that this was the blood that belonged to his master's murderer and that it had to belong to someone related to him. Soon, he felt anger course through his veins…thoughts of revenge and malice. He wanted to destroy whoever it was that killed his master…it was unbearable.
 
However, Yami could not do such a thing. He knew that Valiore wouldn't have wanted it, and he didn't want to go against his master's wishes. The vampire sighed and gazed into what was left of his body. Unconsciously, Yami laid his head on top of Valiore's chest, his hands holding those that were cold and wreaked of death. He closed his eyes, scarlet irises leaving the fire's gaze. He wanted to stay with his master…just a little longer before leaving to his prison once more. This desire…he wished it most. Remembering his master's words, he rocked his soul to sleep, mouthing words inaudible but precious.
 
`I promise…'