Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Pyramid of Fire ❯ Just a drill ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Author's note: Okay, here's the first chapter. Thank you Shibby-One, tamashiipurizuma and justareviewer. Long chapter eh…? Uh… Well, I'm not that good at writing long chapters, but I can try. Next chapter that is. I've already write this one.
 
Pyramid of Fire
Chapter 1: Just a drill
 
 
“MR Wheeler!”
 
MR Wheeler!”
 
“Huh…” Joey muttered, rubbing his eyes with tiredness, having awoken from a deep sleep; He had not realized the teacher had been calling his name for quite some time now.
When he looked up, he was met with a purple-faced Mrs Watson. Poor Joey.
 
“Now, Mr Wheeler…” Mrs Watson began, strolling leisurely back to the black-board, “Seeing as you have finally decided to grace us with your consciousness,” She glared at him, “I'm sure you wouldn't mind coming up and solving the questions on the board.” She said grinning evilly while holding up a piece of chalk.
 
Joey groaned, seeing the thirty algebraic equations on the board. He glanced at me, seeking help. I shook my head, an expression of sympathy on my face, as he dragged his feet along to the front of the classroom.
 
I did try though. But even flicking pencils at him wouldn't wake him.
 
The rest of the class burst out in laughter, but the teacher- who was a no-noise type of teacher glared at the offending pupils, (Me thankfully not being one of them) using her catch-phase:
“If your mouth is moving. Stop it.”
 
Everyone was quickly quiet.
 
Nobody wanted to mess with Mrs Watson.
 
I started to space out, getting tired of Joey's cries of `This is unfair!' and `This is way to hard!' Even Mrs Watson's `Do you need a detention!?' made him want to go to sleep.
 
In fact. That was exactly what I wanted to do at that point. The windows and doors were closed and an aura of drowsiness and haziness stalked the room; I could easily see why Joey had drifted off.
My eyes started to droop; my brain began to shut down, blocking out the noise of the room.
 
“Just a little nap…” I murmured, so quiet nobody would hear. And just as I felt myself drifting, a loud voice rang out. Very loudly.
 
Stop.
 
I was so startled that I fell of my chair, landing with an `umph'
The whole class stared at me, even Joey who was still on question six on the blackboard gave me a questioning glance.
 
“Heh… Heh…” I mumbled climbing back into the brown chair which sported, `I luv RB' on the back. Just to let you know, I did not do that.
 
Mrs Watson walked over to me, bending over so she was eye level with me, “Mr Mouto,” She said, “Is something the matter?”
 
“Uh…” I replied sheepishly looking round. Why hadn't they heard it too? “I'm fine miss, I just thought I… Heard something.” She looked at me strangely but made no comment as she went back to the blackboard to torture Joey.
 
A black-haired boy in the back-row snickered quietly, “I just thought I heard something.” He mimicked in a girly voice, which didn't sound like me at all. But the others snickered with him anyway.
I glared softly at the wall, but I ignored him.
After all, I had better things to think about. Like where that voice came from.
 
Nobody else had heard it.
 
Maybe I had gone mad.
 
I don't remember going mad…
 
It's all right Yugi, it's just me.” The voice said. But I wasn't afraid this time. How could I have been so stupid? It was Yami, I guess I had only just learnt about him at Duelist Kingdom, so I wasn't used to him yet.
 
“Yami…” I said in annoyance “You scared me, you nearly blew our cover.” I used the mind link of course. I would look like I was talking to myself otherwise. Then I'd probably be send to a mental hospital or something.
 
“I'm sorry Yugi,” Yami said, “I just didn't want you to join Joey up there.”
 
“That's okay Yami.” I replied un-spacing-out for a second to see Joey tell the teacher he couldn't answer question nine because it wasn't funky enough. Yugi giggled in a non-girly way, “He's going to get in trouble for that remark…” He told Yami.
 
Yami sighed, “That'll be another detention again then. Doesn't he have one almost every day?”
 
I shrugged, not noticing I was doing it in the real world as well, “Sometimes… I really think he likes them.”
 
“How could anyone like copying half the dictionary out?” Yami asked me.
 
I thought for a second, “Don't forget lines, they make us write lines too.”
 
Yami snorted, “How would you know Yugi? You've never had a detention before.” He said in disbelief.
 
“No,” I grinned, “But Joey certainly has. He told me had to write `I will not swear violently at the teacher' two hundred times! He was lucky he wasn't expelled for that!”
 
“Swore violently at the teacher?” He asked, “Why would Joey swear violently at a teacher?”
 
“Uh…” Said Yugi a bit sheepishly, “Well… You see… Tristen told him, the teacher, who is a lady… Uh…Likes him.”
 
“Likes?” Yami sounded a bit scared.
 
“Uh… Yeah. And you see… This teacher… Is about sixty.” I said sniggering.
 
“Oh,” Replied Yami, “I can see wh- Wait a second…”
 
I blinked, “Yami?”
 
I didn't get a reply.
 
“Yami?” I asked again, slightly worried.
 
“Yugi,” Yami said, Relief flooded my senses, I thought something might have happened to him, “Yugi… Listen.”
 
`Listen?' I thought, coming back from the trance that I always seem to go into when I talked with Yami.
 
I understood why.
 
Ring
 
Ring
 
Ring
 
I laughed, “Don't worry Yami, It's just the school bell, class is over.”
 
Yami projected his image as he went into his ghost-like form. “Then where is the students, and the teacher for that matter?” he asked.
 
“Huh?” I said, “I guess they rushed out.”
 
We stood in silence for a few moments, before Yami pointed out something, “Shouldn't it have stopped ringing by now?”
 
I had to admit, Yami was right, “…It's the fire bell.” I said bluntly.
 
“Fire?” Yami asked, “We must hurry then Yugi, shall I take over?” He said trying to mask his panic.
 
“Nah,” I said, “It's just a fire drill,” I looked at his blank face, “A practice for a real fire.”
 
“Oh,” was all he said.
 
“Let's go.” I said, scooping up my bag from the floor. Or rather I would have if my bag were there. I stuck my head into the desk, checking for it. “Hey!” I cried, “Someone's stolen my bag!”
 
I'm sure it was there earlier…
 
Yami shook his head, “That's not important now Yugi, you can find it later, lets go.”
 
I nodded walking to the door, past the piece of chalk Joey was using, now discarded on the floor.
 
I had no worries.
 
It was just a fire drill.
 
There was never a real fire.
 
But then again…
 
Why did I get that ominous feeling…?
 
And where was that smoke coming from?