Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Re-Discovering Innocence ❯ Sweat ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Sweat

Wednesday morning? 2:15 A.M.

Slowly, Anzu's consciousness returned to her body, and she stirred. Only moments later, did she move to take heed of her surroundings. Lifting her head from the fold of her arms, she looked around, and realized that she was home, in her room.

Home?

Who had brought her here?

The last thing she remembered before she blacked out was--

"Yu..gi...at the Dream...."

Was it Yugi that brought her home? The thought of little Yugi trying to carry her on his back, and falling over from her weight brought a weak smile to her lips. She wanted to laugh, but, at the rate she was feeling now, a smile was the best she could give.

She knew that carrying her would be too much of a burden to Yugi. The next person who came to mind was-----

She cleared the thought from her mind. Yami would never bother with her, anyway.

............

What time was it anyway?

Steadily trying to balance herself while mustering enough strength to stand, Anzu pulled herself away from her study desk and made a wobbled bee-line to her nightstand near the door.

Reaching for the clock, she had barley grazed it's surface when her legs gave from beneath her, resulting in her dropping to her knees.

Too drained to show show how alarmed she was and greatly overwhelmed, she allowed her body to rest a few seconds, before pushing herself up and trying again.

And this time, same as the first, did she stagger and collapse to her knees.

Too tired and drained to try the task again, Anzu gave into her body's weakening, and allowed herself to fall backwards onto the carpet; arms widely spread.

She felt so warm and so dizzy.

Her illness came to the point where just the simple task of keeping her eyes open was almost too must to bear.

Her body was beckoning, calling, pleading for her to let it rest, but she refused.

She was much stronger than to just give up like that.

She was not going to lose consciousness. Not a second time.

Eager and determined, Anzu rolled gingerly onto her side, and tried with the best of her power to push herself up off the floor.

Once she was able to control her body, she paused in a sitting position. A limp hand lightly laced across her forehead and fell into her lap, slicked with sweat.

She was losing water now, and that was something her body needed.

With a dire desire to conquer this sickening burden, and give her body what it craved, Anzu eventually was able to dispatch herself from the firegrass of a carpet and stagger to her feet.

With many a fall, and instability, Anzu finally made it to her bathroom, but her body had given up long before she, and she had to drag it along the floor using the edges of walls and frames of doorways to grab onto and pull herself along.

It hurt; not just her body, but her pride as well. She'd always think of herself as a natural, athletic young teen with no worry of every becoming a---a-----

Still she couldn't bring herself to say the word. It was staring her dead in the face, and she denied it everytime. But she knew that she was only lying to herself the whole time she had been calling it 'encouragement' to make her stronger

Before long, she had finally reached her bathtub. Clamping onto the edge of the smooth porcelain, she pulled her body along and sat on her numb knees until she was close enough to reach the faucets.

Clammy hands met with the knobs, and slipped off the first time, but the last proved effective.

The water rushed out immediately after.

Anzu sighed, exasperated and elated that she had claimed victory and without anyone's help.

Inhaling deeply, and sharing an exhale just the same, Anzu absorbed the freshly scented smell the water released; the sweet smell of victory.

She then coughed, almost sending her entire body to being a heap on the floor, but her hands grabbed a slippery, yet effective hold of the edge of the tub, and she pulled herself back up.

Exhausted, beaten, and nearly dehydrated, Anzu laid her heavy head on her arms and forced herself to be still as her eyes unconsciously watched the water that unhesitantly flowed; Free and without burden or slack.

If Anzu didn't know any better, she'd say that she was becoming quite envious of the water, but that would just be plain silly....wouldn't it?

Anzu's head pounded. She didn't care anymore.

Her weakened and degenerated body beckoned to be near the water. Anzu had little choice in the matter.

On command, and almost happily, she lifted her body just enough to lower her arms into the tub. The water was ice cold, but she didn't let that stop her.

Yugi, Jounouchi, Honda, Yami.......

They'd all be sad to see her go and leave them. But...how beautiful the new world would look after all her pain and suffering would just simply be...washed away.

Her body was calling her, commanding her to surrender it all and get into the water--to just let its waves soothe her into rest...

She wanted to argue, but at this moment, everything her body was saying made perfect since. But--

"Yugi...."

Yugi's name was the last thing that passed Anzu's lips, as she felt her consciousness slip away her. Darkness overtook her, as she plummeted face first into the water.--It's level steadily continuing to rise.....

-Mel