Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Return of a Master ❯ The Ambush ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

~Ok...this is my first attempt at a fanfic...I've been working on a novel for a while, so my short-story skills might be a little rusty. Let me know what you think!~

Return of a Master

By Tanya Lee McCain

(Author's Note: This story takes place between Part 3 of Master of Magicians and Part 1 of Weevil's Web. And just for those of you who are sticklers for such things, here's the disclaimer: I do not own Yu-Gi-Oh or any of its characters. I only own Nebamun and this particular plot line, so be respectful and don't take what's not yours.)

Part One

There they are, I think, as I watch them emerge, one by one, from the tiny warehouse. Just as I suspected. Yugi and some of his friends. But who is that man the taller boy is carrying?

"So, what are we going to do with this guy?" the girl asks Yugi as soon as they are all out.

"I don't know, Tea, but we couldn't just leave Arkana down there, not after what Marik tried to do to him," he replies.

Marik?!? I think. This must be one of his servants. Marik must be after the Millennium Puzzle! I don't have much time, then.

"Well, I'm not carrying him any more. This guy may not look like much, but he weighs almost as much as Joey after dinner!"

"Tristan!" Tea scolds, but although she tries to hide it, I can see she is laughing just hard as the old man and Yugi.

"I don't know what you plan to do with him, Yugi, but I need to get back to KaibaCorp headquarters," the youngest boy said. "My brother might need me to make sure no one else is cheating."

"But Mokuba, won't Kaiba want to, I don't know, question him or something?" Tea asked.

"I don't think so...but maybe he-"

Their words fade out as I realize I'm not alone. There is someone else watching this bizarre group...someone I recognize! It's Bakura, the boy who stole Pegasus' Millennium Eye! What's he doing, hiding in the shadows like me?

Out of curiosity, I move a little closer. He seems unaware of my presence, and is saying something.

"...yes, I can sense it! Marik will soon be close enough for me to strike! Then his Millennium Rod will be mine!" He pauses, as if he is suddenly aware that someone is watching him. I quickly slide back into the shadows, afraid of what he would do if he saw me before I was ready.

Apparently satisfied that no one had heard him, he shrugs, and turns back to the street. "I suppose I should go see what Yugi is up to now. Though I despise the little brat, he is my best link to finding all the Millennium Items." He sighs, and steps out of the dark alley, saying, "Hey everyone. How's it going?" in his "innocent" voice.

"Bakura!" Yugi exclaims. "What are you doing here? I thought you said you had a ton of homework to get done!"

"I got done early," he replies, without a trace of the evil tone I'd heard a moment ago. "I decided to come see how you were doing in the tournament." He suddenly looks at Tristan, who still has Arkana slung over his shoulder. "Oh, my...you certainly seem to get yourself in a lot of awkward situations!"

As they talk, I take out the palm-sized comlink I had stashed in my pocket. I flick it on, and whisper, "Nebamun, my friend...I have found him. He is in Domino City, just as we suspected." I immediately turn it off, knowing that he is unable to answer, since he is in hiding as well. As I readjust the earpiece in my turban, I turn my attention back to the conversation in the street ahead.

"So what is it this time?" Bakura is saying. "Did another of those Scare Hunters...or whatever you called them...force you into a duel?"

"Rare Hunters. And this time-" He chokes off his next words as a swarm of shadows rushes past me and into the street. I jump a few inches...I hadn't even heard them coming! They surround the group, and cry, as one, "Surrender to the power of the true pharaoh, Yugi Moto!"

~So...what do you think? Be honest...I appreciate any constructive criticism you may have!~