Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Return of a Master ❯ The Setup ( Chapter 4 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Part Four

"Okay, well, see you tomorrow!"

"Yeah, don't forget--we're getting up bright and early for the tournament!"

"Of course! No way would I forget something like that!"

As they say their goodbyes, I watch Bakura closely. He bids them farewell, and turns away, probably to head home...by himself! Ahh, this could be my chance! I keep an eye on him, and begin to trail him as soon as he's far enough ahead.

As he strolls along, unaware of my pursuit, I take note of my surroundings. I am in a quiet, dark neighborhood, with big, leafy trees blocking what little daylight is left. Not a single soul is on the streets. The silence surrounding me is nearly deafening.

Making certain that Bakura is not close enough to overhear, I take out my comm unit. "Nebamun?" I ask quietly.

"Ah, I was wondering when you'd call," he immediately responds, not bothering to disguise his voice this time. "Is it time to move to part two?"

"How did you know?" I ask, genuinely puzzled. "I never said anything..."

"I...I don't know. I just knew - somehow - that you were pleased." His naturally arrogant voice wavers slightly.

"Strange. Is it still happening now? Can you still sense my thoughts?"

"No, of course I can't. But what does that have to do with--oh. You think I was reading your mind, back there? But how? You know I can't do that...not yet, anyway..." he falls silent, most likely fantasizing about his future if our plan should succeed.

"Perhaps it was because you were so close to the Eye." I ponder that for a moment, then return to the reason I called in the first place. "Anyway, I agree, the time is ripe for our next trap. I am trailing the thief right now, and he appears to be alone. Be at the docks in an hour, like we planned."

"Aye-aye, cap'n!" He laughs, and his resonant voice bounces around the tranquil setting. I immediately disconnect the line, my eyes fixing on the figure of Bakura ahead. He pauses, and before I have time to slip away, he whips his body around to face me.

Horrified that at last he has seen me, I do the only thing I can--I flip the comm unit open again, and act as though I am still talking. "Oh, Nebamun, you're so funny sometimes!" I practically shout. I have never been very good in crisis situations. Then I calm down a little as I notice through the corner of my eye that Bakura is quickly trying to hide.

My heart is still pounding so loud, I fear Bakura can hear it with his Ring. Nevertheless, I continue my one-sided conversation. "Yes, I know how confusing this town can be. Remember my vacation last year? I got lost for nearly an hour while looking for the museum! Some smart-aleck little boy sent me to the arcade instead!" I grumble in an attempt to make my words sound more realistic.

I use my peripheral vision to glance at Bakura again. He is still standing there, partially hidden behind a tree, listening to my every word. I suppose this isn't as bad as it could be...perhaps I too can turn a disaster into an opportunity! I think. I hesitate only a moment longer, and then make my decision.

"So, which route are you going to take home? What? You must be joking! The last time you took that path, you got lost! I don't want to have to come get you again." I pause, hoping Bakura doesn't notice that there's no voice on the other line. "No, no, take the path by the docks. At least you'll have some light to help you." I pause again, letting that sink in. "Yes, I know it's longer. Look, just call me if you need to. If you do get lost, I'll come find you - if I can." I chuckle, as if he'd said something funny, then close the cover again.

Not wanting Bakura to think it was a setup, I immediately turn around and begin walking away. I fight the urge to glance back and see what he is doing, and go around the corner. Hiding behind the first tree I see, I turn and wait, hoping my plan worked.

After a few moments, I begin to worry. What if Bakura didn't take the bait? I definitely don't want to have to go through that again. Though I desperately want to see where he is, I remain where I am. Fortunately, just a moment later, Bakura comes around the corner, moving quickly. I press myself as close to the tree as I can, and as he rushes past, in the direction of the docks, I get a glimpse of the evil grin on his face.