Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Return of a Master ❯ Showdown ( Chapter 7 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Part Seven

I almost lose track of his white hair several times as he whips around the corners, following the faint glow of his Ring. By the time he finally comes to a stop, I am nearly out of breath. I knew I should have cut back on the baklava....

Just then, I see a dark, robed figure leaning against a wall. Nebamun!

He turns his head ever so slightly, and I can see the dim moonlight reflect in his eye. The white Eye of Anubis is faintly visible on the black eye patch I made for him. He's not wearing his face netting...but why?

He chuckles softly, then suddenly rushes forward. "Bakura!" he shouts. "Thank heavens you made it! I was beginning to worry for a moment there."

"Oh, it was no problem," Bakura replies. Then he murmurs strangely, "No problem at all..."

"Yes. Well, now that you've found me, could you possibly show me the way back to the docks?"

"Oh, certainly. I'll take you there immediately," he replies, but suddenly his voice changes, and he adds, "On one condition..."

Nebamun seems puzzled, although I know he was expecting this. "Condition?" he asks, allowing worry to creep into his tone.

"Yes. Give me your Millennium Bow, and I will be happy to lead you wherever you wish to go." He chuckles and steps closer. "Come now, you don't really want to see me angry, do you? I know that you know who I am, and what my Ring can do. So, unless you want your mind trapped forever in a place without hope, I suggest you do as I ask."

Nebamun shifts position, and finally drops his act. He lets out one of his characteristic giggles, and says, "You'd threaten to send me to the Shadow Realm?" Laughing again, he whispers, "You have no idea who you're dealing with, do you?"

Bakura blinks, stunned by this sudden change in personality. "Uh....what are you talking about?"

"Our meeting earlier today was not by chance, soul-stealer. All of this was a plan to lure you here, so I can take what should be mine!" He moves closer. The moon's rays shine directly on the eye patch, illuminating it so brightly it nearly blinds me.

Bakura steps back, murmuring, "The Eye. You want the Eye!"

"Very good, little one. It's about time you caught on."

"But...how did you know?"

Nebamun turns toward me. Apparently he has decided it is time for me to show myself. I sigh, wishing he hadn't...but there is nothing I can do, because Bakura has followed Nebamun's gaze, and gasps as he realizes he'd been followed.

I step out of the shadows, allowing the moon's rays to settle on my long cloak.

"You...you were the one I saw earlier...then all of this was a setup!" He glares at me for a moment, then says, "Who are you? I demand to know!"

"My name is Shadi," I reply. "And I am the protector of all the Millennium Items. By stealing Pegasus's Millennium Eye, you have upset the balance of fate. I am here to restore that balance by making sure each person only has one item once again."

Bakura's eyes widen at that last part. Then he narrows them again and whispers, "And just how do you plan to do that, mortal? I'll send both of you to the Shadow Realm and no one will be able to help you!" He advances on us, his Millennium Ring beginning to glow. "You brought me to this dark alley of your own free will...and now it shall be your undoing!" His Ring begins to rise off of his chest, glowing even more brightly than before, and he pulls the Eye out of his pocket.

"Not so fast!" I cry, whipping the Millennium Scales out in front of me. "You didn't really think I came without a backup plan, did you?"

Bakura grumbles, but doesn't stop advancing. "Even with that item, it is still only one, and you can't possibly hold me back for long!" he growls menacingly.

"Did you forget about me? Hmm, didja?" Nebamun cuts in, holding the Bow out in front of him.

"What?" he asks, confused. "But you told me yourself that the Bow is powerless...." Smirking, he steps closer. "Don't try to confuse me. With two items at my disposal, your pathetic force-bolts won't even scratch me!"

Nebamun chuckles softly. "Come now, you young fool, you didn't really believe that, did you? This item has more power than you could possibly imagine! All that force-bolt nonsense was a trick, to get you off your guard!" To prove his point, the middle of the Bow begins to glow again, much brighter than it did before.

I hope this works.... Then, noticing that Nebamun is looking at me, I realize that he heard that. So, being this close to the Eye does affect you! I think, directing my thought at him.

He nods slightly, then holds out the Bow, pointing it directly at Bakura. I do the same, holding out my Scales and using the power of my mind to make them glow even brighter. "Which do you think is more powerful, two items with two minds controlling them, or two items with only one?"

Bakura groans, stepping back and halting his attack. "Very well. I will leave you for now...but you can't hide forever. One day I will have them all!" At that, he turns around and begins stalking away.

"Hold it right there!" Nebamun cries, dropping the fake voice.

"Hmm...?" Bakura turns, puzzled. "I said I let you go...now what do you want?!?"

"Want? I want to see if you can beat me in a duel!"

At that, Bakura spins completely around. "A duel...?" Suddenly his face clouds over. "Wait a second...that voice...do I know you?"

Nebamun chortles at that. "You'll see...if you meet me tomorrow at eight o'clock by the fountain! Oh, and another thing...the winner of the duel gets both the Eye and the Bow!"

Bakura grins broadly. "Very well, but I will not lose."

"We shall see...but first, you will need this." I step towards him, pulling the other thing I had hidden out of my cloak. I hand it to him, and step back again.

"A duel disk?" Bakura asks, confused.

"Of course! I want the whole world to see you crumble before my overwhelming power!" Nebamun exclaims. "And what better way than to broadcast it live via KaibaCorp's satellites?" He chuckles again, then turns around. "Now don't forget, eight o'clock sharp!" he calls out over his shoulder, and strides away, confidence radiating from his proud face.