Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Return of a Master ❯ The Truth Revealed ( Chapter 13 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Part Thirteen

Time seems frozen as the pieces of the Bow clatter to the ground around me. The wind itself seems unable to produce even a mild breeze. All eyes are focused on me.

"What have you done?" gasps Bakura, after a few seconds.

I sigh with relief. "I will deceive you no longer. My name is Shadi, descendant of the Pharaoh and protector of the Millennium items. I came to Domino City to correct the imbalance created when you stole the Millennium Eye."

Bakura hisses, "Is that right? And what, exactly, does that have to do with you ripping my Bow to pieces!?!"

"Nothing, really. But I must correct you on one thing. This is not the Millennium Bow, and neither is it yours." I bend down and pick up the central piece from the pile, tearing off the last piece of plastic and tossing it to the ground. "This is my item, the Millennium Key."

"What?" cries Tristan. "You mean this was all just a scam?"

"No. I meant no ill will. I simply wished to keep the forces of evil locked away in the Shadow Realm, where they can do no harm. This deception was necessary, since the Millennium Items can only truly change hands after being won in a duel - a Shadow Game. Bakura would never have agreed to this if a Millennium Item had not been involved."

"You're right about that," Bakura growls, taking a step closer. "I never duel without a purpose. But enough with the small talk. That item now belongs to me! Whether it is the Bow or the Key does not matter. If you're so knowledgeable about the ancient rules, then you must know that."

"I'm afraid you are incorrect. The ancient rules are very complex; I have studied them all my life, and I still do not understand them fully. But one very important rule to remember is that words mean a lot. If you say something, always make sure that it is what you mean, for the spirits who govern the items do not read minds. Bakura, you said you were dueling for the Millennium Bow; therefore, that is what you won. It is just your bad luck that it does not exist."

Bakura stares blankly at me. "It's…you planned this from the start…you conniving old fool!" His face twitches for a few seconds, and then, unexpectedly, he smiles. "It doesn't matter. I don't care about those stupid rules anyway. I'll just have to take it by force!"

My eyes widen as he moves closer, like a wild animal moving in for the kill. "What do you think you are doing? My item will be of no possible use to you if you haven't won it. The ancient powers it commands can only be used by the true owner!"

"But I don't want the powers. I just want the items! Once I have all seven, I can free the chaos of the Shadow Realm, and use it to do my bidding! The powers of the separate items are nothing next to the power to control the world! Hah hahahah!"

He's mad! I think, as he advances. That power is too strong for any minor being to control. Only a god has enough power for that! And if he does try, he'll bring about the end of the world! "Don't do this. I do not wish to fight, but I will defend myself if I must!"

"Oh, really? And just what do you think you can accomplish? I have in my possession two of the seven Millennium Items. You only have one. Just give it up peacefully, and I won't have to kill you."

"You are right. Someone with only one Millennium Item would have no chance against you." I close my eyes briefly, concentrating. "But fortunately for me, I am not just "someone". As the sacred protector of the Millennium Temple, I can command any items that have not yet chosen a bearer. Remember, the Millennium Scales are also under my control." The golden artifact materializes in my hand. "And I will not hesitate to use them if I must."

"So, it's to be two against two, then, is it?" Bakura scoffs. "Give me a break. You already know that I am not human, and that I have power far beyond that of you puny mortals. You don't stand a chance! But if that is what you wish…"

"I don't care if I die trying. I cannot let you win." I stare directly into those cold eyes, preparing for his attack. "I will fight you, even if I must do it alone."

"You won't be alone."

Startled, I look around. To my surprise, Yugi is standing next to me, his puzzle glowing brightly. He glances at me, grinning confidently. Some part of me recognizes that grin, and I realize that the spirit of the Pharaoh is in control. "Thank you, Grandfather," I whisper softly.

He smiles reassuringly, and then turns back toward Bakura. "This world is not yours to take. I, too, will fight to protect this world from the likes of you." The Puzzle glows brighter, and he takes a step forward. "It is now three items against two. Do you still think you can win?"

Bakura grits his teeth in aggravation. "Very well. I'll let you live for now," he growls. "But mark my words; I will be back. And then your items will be mine!" He then spins around and marches away, without looking back.

Yugi lets out a sigh of relief, and I can feel the spirit retreating back into his haven. I hang the Key back around my neck, using its power to send the Scales back to my home in Egypt.

Suddenly, Pegasus sits up. "Yugi?" he moans deliriously. He stretches out his hand, groping in the air. Yugi takes hold of his hand, looking at him kindly. "Yugi…please…forgive me." Then Pegasus slumps back onto the ground, and a look of peace spreads across his face.

"Will he be all right?" Yugi asks me, looking concerned.

I examine him closely. "Yes. He will be fine. I will take him back to Egypt with me, and take care of him there. You do not need to worry."

"That's a relief," he says, and he sounds sincere. I stare at him for a moment, impressed. Compassion for the enemy? After all that Pegasus did to him? Remarkable. He truly is a special boy.

Suddenly, I hear footsteps. "Yugi! Are you all right?" Tea cries, rushing towards us.

"Yeah, I think so," he says. Then he turns to me. "But I still have a lot of questions."

"I'm sure you do," I reply. "And you do have a right to ask, after all this. By the way, I'm sorry for leaving so quickly last time - but I did have a criminal to catch."

"It's okay. I understand. But I am curious - how did you find out that it was Bakura - I mean, the evil spirit - who stole the Millennium Eye?"

"Actually, that was easy." I chuckle, remembering. "I got lucky. I warped to the front of the castle, trying to find Pegasus. I wanted to ask him what had happened. Instead I saw Bakura, holding the Millennium Eye and cackling evilly. I would have confronted him then, but he left too quickly."

"Oh. So then you found Pegasus and decided to team up to get him?"

"Something like that."

"Oh." After a moment, Yugi laughs weakly. "It's funny…I had so many questions I wanted to ask…but now, I can't think of a single one."

I smile knowingly. "Yes, life often seems to work that way."

"Well, I have a question," Tea says, breaking the silence. When no one says anything, she continues. "I want to know more about that story you gave us about the Millennium Items, and the Millennium Bow. Was everything you told us a lie?"

"No, it wasn't," I answer firmly. "I am truly sorry I deceived you. It was necessary for the plan, but that doesn't mean I enjoyed doing it."

She remains silent, staring at me unsympathetically. I turn away, and continue. "Well, anyway, the story Nebamun told you was true - as far as I know. I confess, we don't know very much at all about the Millennium Items. What I told you is our best theory at the moment."

"We?" asks Yugi, suddenly curious. "There are other people who study this stuff?"

"Yes, sort of. I belong to a group of people who study Egyptian hieroglyphics in an attempt to learn about the past. Of course, I know more than most of them, thanks to my heritage, but there are still many mysteries to uncover."

"All right. And what about the Millennium Bow? Did you make up that whole story, or is there some truth to what Nebamun - er, Pegasus - told us?"

"In fact, I'm not sure. I recently found a set of carvings that mention the Bow, but many of the details seem unclear. I really don't know if there even is such an item, or what its true powers may be. I can only hope that if such an item exists, it is well hidden, for the hieroglyphs that surround it speak of danger and death."

Just then, Joey walks up. "Hey, guys, this conversation is interestin' and all, but I really need to get going. I told Serenity I'd stop by this morning, and it's almost noon."

"Yeah, we probably shouldn't keep her waiting," Tristan adds. Joey looks at him sharply, but Tristan ignores him.

"Okay," Yugi agrees. "I'll come with you." He looks back at me, and after a moment, he sighs. "Thank you," he says simply, and turns to leave.

I recognize his tone, and realize that those words did not come from Yugi. I stare at his retreating figure, and whisper softly, "You are very welcome, my Pharaoh." I close my eyes, fixing that image firmly into my memory. Then I place my hand on Pegasus' shoulder, withdrawing the Millennium Key from my robe yet again. The world is in safe hands, I think, as the street fades away and the foggy white energy surrounds me once more.