Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Ryou Bakura: Chaos Master ❯ The Worst Dinner Conversations ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

DISCLAIMER: I don't own Yu-Gi-Oh. Takahashi does, and if I have to keep telling you that, I'll need to smack you.
 
Ryou had wandered up the stairs silently, ignoring the puddles of water as the ice melted away, the sunshine returning in gusto. It blared through the windows, reflecting brightly off of the ice that was melting a little too slowly. Ryou passed it in silence. Sami's room wasn't far away now, and he hadn't heard anything indicating anyone was there. Either the man had run away, or he was dead. Personally, Ryou hoped it was the latter. As he stepped toward her room, the soggy carpets making his footfalls louder, he had the feeling that neither happened, and that the man was actually waiting for him. And, when he finally reached her door and looked inside, he saw he had been right. He cursed. He was hating this part of living with Sami; weird people always showed up when he didn't want them to be there.
 
“So, you actually helped Sith, eh?” the man asked, sitting on Sami's bed as he clicked his Winchester closed, “Nice, though next time, try not to nearly kill her. Makes loving her much less possible, don'cha think?” Ryou's eye twitched. It'd been two years since he heard that voice, that arrogant, smug voice he'd come to hate. And his hatred hadn't lessened for it. His brows creased.
 
“And what about you? I hear you nearly broke the crystal,” Ryou retorted hatefully, his voice oozing with venom, “What, you wanted her dead?” The man snorted, and shook his head as he got off of the bed. His one good eye looked at Ryou squarely in the eyes.
 
“The opposite, actually,” he replied airily, waving his hand, “Believe it or not, I actually love her. Don't think this means I'm leaving just because you're going to try proposing to her.” Ryou's eyes widened in horror. How the hell had he known about the engagement ring!? Ryou's eyes narrowed, and he moved to keep his pocket hidden from view. The man laughed and said, “I already know about it, moron.”
 
“How!?” Ryou demanded, and then said, “Stay away from her or I'll have Bakura kill you.” The man laughed again. Clearly, Bakura didn't scare him as much as Ryou hoped he would. This looked bad. The man shook his head, picking up his beloved gun.
 
“I don't think I will,” he replied simply, walking to the balcony door, which was broken, “But do expect me to come by again. You know, `cause I love her and everything. See you!” Ryou growled, lunging to tackle the man, but he had already jumped off the balcony before Ryou could move. Ryou watched over the edge as he saw the man run from the yard down the street quickly, too quickly for Ryou to catch up with. Ryou's body shook with fury. He'd be coming back, too. This time, he wouldn't live through it. Sighing angrily, Ryou stormed out of the room and back down the stairs to where Yami still sat. Yami looked up at him quietly.
 
“You okay?” he asked, when he noticed that Ryou looked really, really annoyed. Ryou nodded, and sat in a chair stiffly. Then, he blinked slowly, considering what the man said. The man… did he mean it when he said he loved Sami? But he kept calling her Sith. Surely, he didn't mean the same person… except that he was talking about her. Damn it, Ryou wished he knew Sami better than she obviously knew herself. It'd explain pretty much everything that was going wrong now.
 
“Yami, you went through something similar. Sami doesn't know who she is, and everyone keeps calling her different things,” Ryou summarized, “And just now, this crazy man, who keeps bothering the two of us for no reason, just showed up and told me he loves her! I have no idea what's going on. Do you have any advice?” Yami blinked slowly, trying to think. Clearly, this was distressing Ryou. But there was so little he knew how to do. His lips thinned.
 
“No. I'm guessing he knows her quite well, though. His demeanor, from what you say, suggests he had an intimate relationship,” Yami stated, and Ryou felt himself getting sick, “Oh, you really think you're the only one allowed to love her? Ryou, take this with as much respect as possible: Get over yourself.”
 
EXCUSE ME!?” Ryou exclaimed, standing up, “I have a real problem and you're going to tell me I'm the cause of it!?” Yami didn't look particularly taken aback by the boy's outburst. He looked at Ryou flatly as he held Sami's limp wrist in his hand. Even against his skin, she looked white.
 
“I suggest you sit or I won't help you,” the old spirit stated calmly, and Ryou sat with a huff, “Now, has he actually said who he is?” Ryou shook his head and threw up his arms in frustration.
 
“That's the problem! He won't even tell her!” he exclaimed, “He just shows up, acts like he has any business here, and then says something that really confuses both of us! Yami… what am I dealing with here?” Yami remained silent as he tried to think. This wasn't a coincidence. The crystal, the man, the storm, the sheer power Sami had wielded; none of it was simple coincidence. All of it meant something. But what? Yami tried to think of his own experience with his identity. He had all of this power and no idea why, either. But Sami had one key difference: everyone knew who she was. For him, only Malik had known who he was, and even then, Malik didn't have every answer he needed. The Mystics had the answers Sami needed. It was just the matter of getting them.
 
“You're dealing with a part of her past that she's either purposely forgotten, or she truly doesn't remember,” Yami finally said simply, “My guess is, though, she suffers amnesia. Or something similar. But in either case, we're dealing with people who know her as more than an acquaintance. She means something to this man. She means something to Rath, and the other Mystics. They wouldn't be showing up here if it was about us. We're not worth a cent to them right now.”
 
“But Sami is,” Ryou concluded, and Yami nodded, “What do you think she did that warrants their hatred?” Yami just shrugged, leaning back as he let Sami's wrist fall gently.
 
“I have no idea. Bakura says she looks familiar, but he can't place why,” the spirit replied carefully, “Tell you truth, she did remind me of someone when I first saw her, but it's been too long. I can't place the face, either. But there's something about her expression that does spark a memory in me.” Ryou tilted his head, hoping Yami would continue. But the old spirit didn't speak again. This was getting frustrating now. Why did he even ask Yami, if Yami was going to give him half answers?
 
“And what is this memory?” Ryou asked, after a span of five minutes passed. Yami looked at him for a quick second, and a sly smile crossed his face. It was never good when Yami smiled like that. It usually meant he trapped you in some way.
 
“You expect me to remember?” Yami asked in amusement, and chuckled as Ryou scowled, “Ryou, Ryou, Ryou… we're lucky I remember I'm the pharaoh. My life spans so far back, I cannot remember each and every face I've encountered. All I know is that she looks familiar. That means absolutely nothing.” Ryou mumbled, turning away. Yami was absolutely no help, but just as he thought of it, another voice spoke his thoughts almost down to the very word.
 
“Well, that's the lousiest half-assed response if ever I've heard one,” Ryou looked down to see that Sami had woken up now, her eyes shining with amusement, “What do you honestly expect Ryou to do with that, Yami?” Yami's grin merely widened, and likewise, Sami smiled right back. It was like some deeper understanding that Yami was, in his own way, trying to help Ryou out. Ryou wished he had the same kind of friendship Sami had obviously established. She seemed to get Yami's cryptic messages when they confounded everyone else.
 
“Sami, how long have you been up?” Ryou asked her suspiciously. She turned her sharp eyes on him, so bright with amusement. And yet there was something underneath that told him, in a way, she wasn't joking at all.
 
“Since you came down, actually,” she replied easily, waving the question off with one of her own, “I hear you spoke to that man again. What'd he say this time?”
 
“He loves you,” Ryou grumbled grumpily. Sami blinked, her grin frozen on her face in shock. Slowly, she looked at Yami. He raised an amused brow at her, unable to confirm nor deny Ryou's words. Then, Sami just laughed. She laughed very hard, and Ryou's brows creased as he snapped, “What's so funny, Sam!?”
 
“You are!” she laughed, “Do you have any idea how furious you look!? Ryou, I've murdered with a look before, and quite frankly, you look more murderous than I. What did this man say to piss you off so badly, eh?” Ryou sighed. If only Sami had been there. Then he thought it was probably best she wasn't. She might've actually stabbed the man, and as much as Ryou wanted that, he knew she needed the man's help as well.
 
“He loves you, okay!?” Ryou snapped again, and stood up, “How do you want me to take it? You want me to be happy or something!? Fine, then, I'm thrilled! Okay!? I'm thrilled that someone loves you, Sami!” Sami's grin faded rapidly, and she looked at Ryou very critically. He had just made a fool of himself, and she was watching it. Now his face flushed red. She pointed to his chair.
 
“Ryou, sit down,” she commanded, “First of all, you're being ridiculous. So another man loves me. I'm not surprised, Ryou. It's human nature, and I'm not betrothed to you. You do not own me, understand? Second, I've made it clear that I care about you. Have a little more faith in me, all right? Third, if he said this, where is he now?” Ryou's fists clenched. Sami may have been right, technically, but now he was just fuming. He was supposed to just accept this! He may be mild, but he was no milksop. He wasn't prepared to lose Sami. Especially to a man as rude as that.
 
“I don't know, and I don't really care right now,” he told her furiously. Sami's look turned flat very quickly. She wasn't taking him overly seriously. And, by the look of it, neither was Yami. They looked at each other, and Yami just shrugged. Sami turned back to Ryou, her eyes still flat with annoyance.
 
“You're being a child,” she replied, and then said, “Well, if you won't answer me, I will go about my day now. I'm going to head to work and explain to my boss why I didn't come in. Not that I'd need to, but it's common courtesy, and you need to cool off.” Ryou turned an angry glare on her. He couldn't believe this was how she was acting! He was her boyfriend. He was going to propose to her, and here she was telling him he was unreasonable for hating another man who loved her! Just who the hell did she think she was, anyway!? He wanted to argue that, but Yami looked over at her, smiling.
 
“Want me to come, too?” he asked. Ryou wondered just what Yami thought would warrant his coming along as well, but Sami actually nodded.
 
“Yeah. I won't be so pissed if shit hits the fan,” she decided. She and Yami got up, and with Ryou tagging behind reluctantly, they headed out to the car. Sami got in the passenger side, and Ryou decided to let Yami drive, seeing as how he was the eldest there. Before they could pull out, though, Shadi had been waiting, and spoke to Yami just briefly. Sami caught the man giving the spirit something, but before she could question, Yami put it away. Then, they finally drove off.
 
The drive had been short; Domino City was blessed with easy-flowing traffic. But the conversation between Yami and Sami made it seem too long to be just the ten minutes it took to get to Flamenco's. Yami didn't keep secrets; he told Sami about what Ryou asked him. And though Sami gave Ryou a disapproving glance, she answered as best as she could: She truly, honestly didn't know who those people were or what they wanted with her anymore. Especially concerning the blonde man. Then, she asked him in turn about what Shadi had given him. Yami didn't lie. Shadi had given him the crystal to give to her. And she didn't look the least bit happy for that information as Yami pulled into the parking lot. Sighing, she said, “I'll be back in a few minutes. Don't drive off.” Yami just grinned and gave her the thumbs-up.
 
“Wouldn't think of it, `babe,” he teased, which actually earned a snort from Ryou. Sami raised a brow, and then departed for the café. Yami watched, and looked up at the place. He shivered. There was something not quite right about that place, but he just couldn't place it. It looked like a normal café. Except that he couldn't shake off this terrible feeling. And it only grew when Sami came out minutes later. She stormed to the car, got in, and slammed the door so hard, Ryou was worried she'd actually rip it off the hinges. Yami looked at her, slightly concerned, as she shoved her seatbelt on. “Well?”
 
“That retarded, little crud-bunny!” she shrieked, “I could kill him for this!” Yami glanced at Ryou, both wondering just what could've happened to make her so angry. Threats of death could never be taken lightly with her.
 
“Sami, what happened?” Ryou asked her slowly. She growled, and forced herself to stare out the window. If she even looked at anyone, there was a good chance she'd fly off and slam their heads into the door. Right then, she wished she had some scotch with her.
 
“That little bastard just fired me,” she spat, “Out of nowhere, for no reason, he fired my ass and hired some retarded, little bimbo to take my place! The goddamned NERVE! I've been working there for two fucking years!” Ryou's skin paled as Yami patted her back. That really wasn't good news; they couldn't live on just his salary alone now. Bakura would have to get a job for the time being while she looked for a new one.
 
“Sorry, Sami,” Yami said, as Ryou asked, “Who's the new girl?”
 
“Someone I'm tempted to just go back in and set on fire,” she replied, and in a mocking voice, said, “Hi, I'm Amber, and I'm a stupid, little twit who likes to do my nails and highlight my hair, and blind everyone within a mile radius with my cute, little smile!' You want to know what the little shit had the nerve to say to me!?” Ryou nodded quickly, never having seen Sami get so enraged before. He thought it best to let her rant before it turned to violence. And with her, if she drank, it would.
 
“What'd she say?” Yami asked. Sami's eye twitched angrily as she slammed her fist into the dashboard.
 
“That good things always happen to good people, and obviously, look what happened to me!” she practically screamed, her eyes glowing red, “I swear, I'll kill her if I see her again!” There was a level of definitive hatred in her voice that worried both men, because they knew very well that if Sami got her hands on some whiskey and downed a bottle, she really would go back and murder both her boss and this new girl he hired. And probably the cops that'd come to arrest her, too. It'd be a very bloody episode to deal with.
 
“No! You really don't want to do that!” Ryou urged, as Yami snorted, “Sam, just calm down! We'll go and drive around and let you cool off! It'll be better later, I promise!” He threw a cold glare at Yami, who continued to laugh at him as he spoke. This just wasn't funny. Sami was serious when it came to murder. And she was more than efficient with the use of a sword. Or of any weapon that was placed in her hand, now that Ryou thought about it. He'd have to get her mind off of murder.
 
“Fine. Drive around. I don't give a shit,” she growled. Yami just sighed, and pulled out of the parking lot. Ryou finally felt glad that the old spirit had gone with them. He knew he couldn't handle the full throttle of Sami's outrage alone. He might've actually succeeded in fueling it. Yami was really the only one who knew how to calm her down. And considering just how battle-efficient she was, that was a miracle.
 
“So, where to?” Yami asked, as he drove into the throng of mid-day traffic. Sami didn't seem about to answer, so Ryou scanned the streets for anything to do. But there really wasn't much. The only thing available was shopping, and Sami detested it almost as much as she detested her new rival. In the end, Yami ended up just driving down a quiet road through the forest. Of everything, nature was a good way to get Sami to calm down a little.
 
“So, did Shadi say anything when he gave you the crystal?” Ryou asked Yami, as Sami rolled down her window to let some air flow in. Yami turned around a bend, and nodded as the sound of birds began to flood the air.
 
“Yes. He says it shouldn't do anything anymore, but it might still have some side effects to it,” Yami replied, and he saw Sami turn to him sharply, “Relax. He just means it might make you cold, or it might amplify your magic. Nothing physically noticeable.” Sami relaxed a little bit on that note. She clicked her tongue against the roof of her mouth as she watched a bird soar by.
 
“Am I still keeping it?” she asked warily. Yami glanced at her for a long second.
 
“If you want it, then yes,” he replied slowly, “But if not, then I'll take it for you. Won't do a damn to me.” Sami hummed, looking down. Ryou could tell she was considering the offer. Especially since it was used as a way for Rath to reach them. Seeing as how Rath was determined to be Sami's bitter enemy, the crystal could be useful… if it didn't kill her first.
 
“I'll take it,” she finally said firmly, and Yami glanced at her for a split second, “It may provide us with a means to keep an eye on the Mystics.” Ryou's eyes widened as he turned sharply to Sami. Yami just nodded in agreement. They must've discussed the Mystics at some point; Yami wasn't even remotely worried at their mention. Ryou looked between the two, but neither spoke again.
 
“…you… you think they're back?” he whispered. Sami glanced back at him as Yami took to looking at the road, and she nodded grimly. It was a silly question to ask, seeing as how Rath had spoken directly to them, but he had to be sure. This meant they were in danger again.
 
“I'm positive that they've never left,” she replied, looking down, “There's something in this world they want, and I've got something to do with it. But I don't even know what it is, nor could I begin to even guess it.” Ryou glanced to Yami again. He remembered the pharaoh's words, and he had a feeling this had to do with what Sami had once been. But what had she possibly done?
 
“Do you think anyone aside from them might know about it?” Ryou asked her, “I mean, no one's going to tell you, and you don't seem to know how to start looking.” Sami didn't respond right away. She closed her eyes to try and think. Not many people would know, especially since the Mystic line ran so far back in this world's history. The best she could do was head over to the ESB branch in northern Domino and look through the files there to find what she needed. And the Espers there disliked her too much to allow access. Finally she shook her head.
 
“The only people who would know won't help me, either,” she replied, and slammed her fist into the dashboard with a crash, “Damn it all, what did I even do!?” Ryou inched back a bit, terrified of Sami's explosive rage. But it lasted for only a second. Yami kept one hand on the wheel as he patted Sami's back.
 
“We'll figure it out one day. Right now, we need to figure out what to do now,” he told them both, “That crystal's still a risk, and if you're going to keep it, we'd better know what you plan to do with it.” Ryou wished he'd asked that question, too. He wanted to know Sami's logic behind keeping such a dangerous object, especially when it almost killed her. She gave a sly grin, leaning back in her seat as she took off her glasses.
 
“Well, we could try and reverse the modes of communication Rath used, and see if we could do something with it,” she replied easily, “Think about it. We could probably learn what they're doing in your world if we eavesdrop on them. And we might learn where to find them. At least, it'd make my job a little easier.” Ryou and Yami both blinked, and then turned to each other. They didn't need to converse to know that they both felt this idea was bad. Ryou slowly turned to Sami again.
 
“I really don't think that's a good idea,” he told her.
 
“Sami, we don't know what Rath is capable of. She might notice if you wiretap her own devices,” Yami added seriously, “I don't think we need to risk it.” Sami looked at them both incredulously, and Ryou knew she felt they were being overly cautious. She wasn't the one taking care of herself when she was nearly dead. Sighing, she slumped back.
 
“Well, what else are we going to do with this piece of crap?” she demanded, “Let it sit and look nice on the mantle?”
 
“I don't think you're thinking this through too well,” Yami commented, “You must've been hit harder than we thought. Sam, if you open up a link to Rath, she's going to take advantage of it. She's not Katsaiga. She won't show you mercy because of your past. She's not on your side.” Sami gave him a flat stare. She already knew all of this, and she knew she hadn't been whacked that hard. The problem was, she was being logical. If she could learn anything, it really could help rid Ryou's world of the evil that she'd felt plaguing it for the past seven years. And that was top priority. She didn't know why, but it was.
 
“So then what do you think we should do?” she asked lowly. Ryou could tell she was getting frustrated with them both. Yami shrugged, and Ryou knew Sami didn't accept that as an answer.
 
“For now, just leave it alone and tell me if it acts up,” he replied. Sami's stare didn't lessen. She really didn't think that was a decent answer in the least.
 
“You have to be kidding me,” she said bluntly, “You're going to sit here, agree that the Mystics are a threat, and then you're going to tell me I can't do anything to stop them? Can you please make up your mind before I do it for you!?” Ryou had never heard anyone actually defying Yami, and Yami looked clear in that he wasn't used to it. He stared at Sami with wide eyes as he stopped at a red light. He looked almost afraid as he watched her. And that just didn't seem right.
 
“Sam, I don't want you getting yourself killed,” he stated quietly, almost in a whisper, “Rath nearly killed us all the last time we faced her. If you find a way inside, she's going to try killing you again. And we can't let that happen. You might be the only one strong enough to stop them again.” Sami's eyes softened only a little, but Ryou heard a short growl of frustration from her. And he didn't blame her. He certainly didn't want the responsibility of fighting off the Mystics, and being terribly outnumbered while doing so. But she gave in.
 
“All right. I won't use it that way,” she sighed in surrender, “But I'm not wearing it otherwise. Unless I can turn it around and make it work for us, no one's wearing it. And if it makes even one sound, I'm cracking it.” Ryou snorted. That was a pretty humorous ultimatum for Yami. But to his surprise, the pharaoh nodded his head.
 
“That's fine, though we'll need to explain that one to Shadi before you attempt it,” he told her. She just gave another sigh. Ryou couldn't help but feel left out a little. There was very little he could do to advise Sami on their current problem. There was very little he could do for her period right then. But if it did bother her, she said nothing about it.
 
“So, what's Bakura's take on this?” she asked Ryou suddenly, so much so that he jumped back. He was surprised she'd actually ask him anything. His face flushed respectively.
 
“Uh…” he began nervously, “I'm not sure. I never asked.” Sami turned her flat stare to him again. Clearly, this was beginning to really annoy her.
 
“I'm starting to think you and your friends are utterly useless when it comes to another world threat,” she replied, her voice just as flat as her expression, “I think I'd even accept Joey's take, so long as it's more informative than either of you.” Ryou didn't think that was particularly fair of her, seeing as how no one actually knew how the crystal was supposed to work. He opened his mouth to protest, but a loud rumbling next to their car distracted him. He turned, and his mouth dropped open again. Malik's motorcycle was next to them, with Malik, Bakura, Ishtar, and Katt all aboard it. Sami peered out curiously, and Malik just waved.
 
“Hey, friends!” he called cheerfully, “What's up?”
 
“Malik!? What the hell are you doing here?” Sami asked, raising a slender brow, “And why's Katt with you? …ARE YOU LEAVING!?” Malik just laughed at the sheer disapproval in Sami's voice. He expected it, and he certainly wasn't disappointed with her. He nodded.
 
“Yeah. We're going to Dice for the weekend. I think we deserve it after the shit you put us through,” he pointed out. Ryou wasn't so sure he'd be alive to tell it, but Sami didn't blow him up. Her brows creased in agitation. And, she shook her head.
 
“Absolutely not!” she exclaimed, “I will not let my sister run off with you! I forbid it!” At that point, Malik was simply laughing at her. She was actually flustered! Ryou patted her shoulder, but she didn't appear to notice. Even Katt was laughing, and this time, Katt shook her head.
 
“Sis, you can't tell me what to do,” she stated calmly, though her voice sounded ready to crack back into laughter, “I'll be back on Monday.” But, Sami just wasn't that cooperative. She crossed her arms.
 
“You aren't going!” she argued angrily, “Katt, we're in the middle of a problem here! I will need your help!” Katt wasn't as cooperative either. She pointed to Yami defiantly.
 
“You have Yami and Ryou on your side. You'll be fine,” she assured, but Sami just wasn't sure of that, “Look, sis, I understand, but I need to get out. I'll be back on Monday.” Ryou could see Sami shaking with rage, but she didn't move a muscle. She merely nodded stiffly, her frown growing deep. Malik grinned at her.
 
“No worries, babe. I'll take good care of your sister, okay?” he said, and Sami's eye twitched. That was probably the last thing she wanted to hear, but at least she knew he'd try. How effective he'd be was a different story. She turned away so as to not kill him accidentally with her anger.
 
“Thanks a lot,” she mumbled. Malik just gave her the thumbs up as his engine revved.
 
“No problem,” he replied, and grinned again, “Besides, who knows? Maybe you'll have a brother-in-law when we get back!” That broke it for Sami. She screamed as he raced off, laughing as he fled down the road, Katt, Bakura, and Ishtar looking back at her sympathetically. Struggling, Sami finally ripped off the seat belt, but by that time, Yami was already driving. She yelled at him to stop, but he didn't. He knew what she'd do. But what he didn't expect was for her to try opening the door regardless. Ryou had to climb over and pull her back into the seat before she managed to really harm herself. That itself was a challenge; Sami was much stronger than he was.
 
“Sami, would you calm down!?” he demanded angrily, and she obeyed, albeit hesitantly, “Seriously, it'll be okay.”
 
“If that little piece of shit does anything to her, I'm murdering him!” she declared furiously, “No jury alive would convict me of it!” Yami just chuckled, shaking his head at how the encounter had turned out. If he ever knew what a sister was like, he had to guess that Sami was the overprotective one, and Katt was easily the defiant one. From what he read in fiction, they were just perfect for those roles.
 
“Good luck with that. I hear Phoenix Wright's back on the streets,” he joked, “Besides, what would you have done, anyway?” That was another bad thing to say. Sami just grinned evilly, something that Ryou knew meant trouble for them. Her eyes flashed for just a second. Just one tiny, little, insignificant second. But Ryou couldn't tell what she did. If she used magic, it was too small a fuse for him to sniff out.
 
“…what the hell did you just do!?” Ryou asked her, finally feeling that spark of magic. Sami laughed, and immediately over the horizon, they heard an explosion. Ryou's eyes widened. He didn't need to hear the ensuing curses in Egyptian to know what she just did. Katt might've been the master of illusion, but Sami was easily the master of revenge. And blowing the shit out of everything. Both skills proved pretty damn useful in this kind of situation. He looked at her again. She was laughing! Malik could've been dead right then! Except that he wasn't.
 
SAMI!” Malik roared, “YOU LITTLE BITCH! WHEN I GET BACK, YOU'RE DEAD!” Sami just snorted. She didn't feel he was as big a threat as he hoped. Ryou didn't think he'd actually pull off her murder, either. Hell, Rath certainly hadn't. The fire in the distance died down, and after Sami stopped laughing so hard, Ryou slapped her on the shoulder in disapproval. He really didn't like her way of dealing with things. At all.
 
“You could've killed them!” he scolded furiously, “Are you crazy!?”
 
“I'm really getting sick of people asking me that,” she replied blandly, “No, Ryou, I'm not crazy.” The look on Ryou's face told her he wasn't so sure of that. But she ignored him. She knew she wasn't insane, and in her mind, that was more than enough. If Ryou thought she was crazy, he'd find his way of dealing with it. Yami just stared at them both in disbelief. Neither had a particularly good way of handling what just happened. Quickly, he looked back at the road and changed the subject.
 
“Let's get some food,” he mumbled, “I'm starving, and Yugi thinks I'm spending the night at your place, Ryou.” Ryou raised a critical brow, and when he asked Yami why that was, the spirit said, “I was worried Sami wouldn't wake so quickly. I told him I'd stay with you until I knew she was safe.” Sami smiled and gave his arm a friendly pat. Ryou just let out a heavy sigh, feeling as though no one really trusted his ability to take care of her himself. Considering the fact that he dragged Shimbou around to do it, he found he couldn't blame them if they did think that. He nodded.
 
“Agreed,” he said, “It'd be nice to have a good meal, and I don't want you cooking, Sami.” Sami looked vaguely annoyed with that, but she also agreed with the gesture. She looked out the window with a hint of disinterest.
 
“Fine. As long as I'm not paying, we can eat in Vegas for all I care,” she replied. Yami grumbled in displeasure, but no one objected as they continued down the road. Now all they had to do was find a restaurant…
 
-----------------------------(End Chapter)
 
And so, after waking up and leaving to speak with her boss, Sami finds herself fired. After consulting Yami on what to do with the crystal, with little help given, the three of them decide to spend the evening out. Where will they go, and what else will they discuss on the way? What of Malik, and will he get to Dice without his bike? Find out next chapter, so click that Review button!