Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Ryou Bakura: Time Master! ❯ A futuristic Kodak Moment ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

DISCLAIMER: I don't own Yu-Gi-Oh, Final Fantasy, or Megaman. Kazuki Takahashi owns Yu-Gi-Oh and their awesome cast, Squaresoft owns Final Fantasy, and Capcom owns Megaman. All I own is Sami.
 
Although she was glad to have company while waiting for Ryou, Sami couldn't have asked for a worse movie to watch, as she sat on the couch, generally staring at the movie with disinterest. The movie she thought they'd be watching wasn't in the VCR. The man over at the movie rental must've given them the wrong tape or replaced everything in the wrong boxes out of laziness. The movie they were watching was about a young man traveling through time, and stopping a dangerous force that could destroy the world. Tea and Miho were thrilled, but Sami wanted nothing to do with it.
 
“Sami, what's wrong?” Miho asked, noticing that Sami wasn't watching the movie, “Are you feeling all right?” Tea turned to see Sami as well.
 
“Don't you like the movie?” she asked innocently. Sami simply took off her glasses and set them down. She didn't want to hurt her friends' feelings, but she also didn't want them involved in her current mess, which was to get Ryou back. Right then, though, she had no interest in the movie. Sighing, she simply leaned back.
 
“I'm just… tired,” Sami replied calmly, “I haven't been sleeping much, so my focus isn't… good.” Miho and Tea looked at each other, but neither of them seemed to believe Sami. Miho turned back to her.
 
“Maybe we should call Ryou and tell him to come home,” she suggested, and went to pick up the receiver. Sami blinked, and dashed after her.
 
“No!” she yelled, and snatched the phone away from the confused girl, “Don't call him!” Miho stepped back as Sami crashed ungracefully to the floor, with the phone in her hand, her left wing fluttering frantically under her sweater.
 
“Why not? He should be home with you,” Miho stated, and perked a concerned eyebrow, “Sami, what's the matter with you? You've been acting really odd whenever we mention Ryou.” Tea nodded slowly, and helped Sami get up and steady herself. Without her glasses, Sami found it hard to see what exactly she was speaking to. Everything looked fuzzy, and she hoped she was facing Miho or Tea.
 
“It's just… well, it's hard to explain…” Sami started hesitantly, and then realized too late that she just said the worst possible thing. For, right then, her two friends reached a rather unfair conclusion of Ryou, thanks to her constant outbursts surrounding him. Tea turned to her sympathetically.
 
“Did you and Ryou… fight?” Tea asked gently, leading Sami back into the living room, Miho close behind as she hung the phone up. Tea helped Sami onto the couch, and both girls sat on either side of her.
 
“What happened? Did he hit you or something?” Miho asked calmly, frowning. Sami simply blinked, not sure of how she managed to get into this mess or how to get out. She couldn't just tell them the truth; they'd never believe it. But, before she could come up with something, Tea spoke again.
 
“Tell us all about it,” Tea added, “We won't tell him we know.” Sami sighed miserably, as this was going to turn into a very long night.
 
---
 
Meanwhile, Ryou's group had just managed to get through the ruins of the school and were turning a corner going through an alley towards what used to be the Red Light district. They hadn't seen any signs of Basch as they walked through, and Sami hadn't come out to give them something they may have needed. And, no one even spoke about what Sami had said. Bakura was the most affected, as his eyes were glassy with shock.
 
“Ryou… do you hate me for this?” Bakura finally asked, after they had climbed through a thick pile of trash. Ryou, who was a bit farther ahead, stopped and turned around. He had regained some of his color from seeing his own grave, but he was still very pale. And he seemed just as distracted as the old spirit.
 
“For what? Climbing through garbage?” Ryou asked innocently, obviously having no idea what Bakura was talking about, “Of course not, unless you planned the garbage to be there.” Bakura blinked, and Ryou realized what he was actually referring to.
 
“I meant about Sami and I,” Bakura said bluntly, “About my marrying her.” Ryou blinked and looked down, trying to figure out what he actually felt. Part of him was relieved to know that Sami didn't stay alone for the rest of her life, but part of him wanted to be angry with her. But overall, he was glad she chose Bakura over anyone else. He smiled and shook his head.
 
“Not at all,” Ryou replied genuinely, “Actually… I think both of us are all right with it. I mean, the me from our time and the me from this time.” Malik arched a confused eyebrow and looked back towards Ryou's house, where the willow tree was just barely visible.
 
“You can feel what he feels?” Malik asked, tilting his head. Ryou nodded.
 
“Yes. He's worried about Sami,” Ryou replied sadly, “He knows she'd use up her life force in an instant if she found whatever it is she's searching for. He also knows she misses Bakura, too. But where could he be?” Bakura sighed heavily.
 
“Sami said I went after the monster in her place. Maybe I'm in Pier 6 too?” he suggested, but Ryou shook his head. That would've been too easy. But he agreed that they'd search there, because they were heading that way anyway. After that, though, nothing more was said on the matter. That was, until they reached the Red Light district. If anything could describe what a terrorized, cataclysm-ridden scene should have been, that was definitely it. Absolutely everything had been either blown away, razed, or crushed to pieces. And everything was wet, probably from crushed sewage pipes. And once again, that horrid smell filled everyone's lungs.
 
“I think this must've been his first target,” Yugi squeaked through a plugged nose, as they slogged through the water, which was steadily spreading out, making its way towards the ruins on the school and beyond.
 
“What tipped you off?” Malik asked sarcastically, kicking a soggy box away and trying to keep his own nose plugged to ward off the smell. Even Bakura, who usually didn't need to worry about his sense of smell, was forced to plug his nose and breathe through his mouth as he walked through the water almost effortlessly.
 
“This is the only way to Pier 6… do we need to go and get the sphere?” Bakura asked, turning around and looking at Ryou doubtfully, “Can't we find another way?” Ryou shook his head, but he understood Bakura's unwillingness to go any farther.
 
“If there was, Sami would've told us about it,” Ryou replied quietly, “But we all know there isn't. We have to find the sphere and we need to get back to our Sami. She's probably really upset by now.”
 
“Not to mention we have to give her the sword,” Yugi added, and then looked around, “Has anyone seen Basch? He has the sword.” Ryou, Malik, and Bakura all stared at each other, but none of them knew where to find Basch. He could've been anywhere by now. He might even be with Sami, battling her as both thought the other was some kind of monster.
 
“We should look for him,” Malik suggested, “That means turning back, but…”
 
“No,” Ryou said strongly, which made both Malik and Bakura raise their eyebrows at his strong reaction, “We can find him after we get the sphere, but the more time we waste, the weaker Sami's magic could get. I… I know she won't last much longer.” Ryou looked down and tried to hide the tears that were beginning to form. Bakura patted Ryou comfortingly, but he also felt very depressed about Sami himself.
 
“So then let's keep going,” Bakura finished, and walked ahead briskly. Ryou nodded and followed him, but Malik and Yugi had to run in order to keep up. Whatever Ryou was feeling, it seemed to have spread to his friends, as no one really spoke again as they continued to travel through the murky water and hazardous streets of what was left of Domino. Even as they passed the ruined remains of Yugi's house, only the smallest sigh came from Yugi. He grabbed a bandana that he'd given Yami 1500 years earlier, and pocketed it sadly, but he kept going. Only when they managed to reach Kaiba Corp, did anyone say anything.
 
“Does anyone else hear that?” Malik asked, as he stopped walking. The sound of metal clinking onto metal was heard, followed by a familiar voice.
 
“Halt, fiend! You shall tell me where Pier 6 is now!” That voice belonged to Basch, and as Ryou turned his head to see, Basch was busy attacking a truck, thinking it was a terrifying beast to be slain. In all honesty, all Ryou could do was laugh, because as the next blow struck the engine, the truck managed to tip over and somehow break even more than it had been before.
 
“Ha! You have been bested!” Basch exclaimed proudly, throwing Sith's sword into the ground. Bakura stormed over angrily and picked the sword up, slinging it onto his back. Then he slapped Basch across the forehead and gave a very disapproving frown.
 
“The only thing you bested was the gold medal for the world's stupidest person,” Bakura grumbled, “That was a truck. It wasn't even alive. What the hell are you doing, anyway?” Basch sheathed his own sword and wiped sweat off of his forehead.
 
“I felt a peculiar evil coming from this building, so I came to investigate,” he explained, looking around. No one, not even Yugi, believed what he said, though Bakura had an odd grin on his face.
 
“Peculiar evil, eh? Think Kaiba managed to live through the cataclysm?” Bakura joked, as Malik let out a snort of laughter. Ryou didn't think it was that funny, and Basch actually thought Bakura was serious as he drew his sword once again and raised it high over his head.
 
“Who is this Kaiba!? Is he the one who hath set forth our perilous journey!?” Basch demanded, “This not be his lair, could it?” Bakura and Malik glanced at each other, amused with Basch's sudden alarm. And before Ryou could explain who Kaiba was, Basch ran up to the door and slashed it down, and then ran inside. Everyone blinked, unable to find the correct words for either Basch's actions or his stupidity towards the entire event.
 
“Should we follow him?” Malik asked after a few minutes of silence. Ryou continued to stare at the abandoned building for just a minute longer until a deafening crash was heard. He pursed his lips in disbelief and nodded.
 
“Yes, before he destroys whatever is left of Domino,” Ryou replied flatly, and ran into the building, the other three following. Once inside, Ryou could understand why Basch was crashing into things. There was no light anywhere, save for the few slits and holes where windows had been broken through. Ryou had to squint in order to see the reception desks and chairs before he tripped over one of them. Bakura whistled, but the darkness seemed to muffle all sound.
 
“Looks like this place was abandoned long before even the cataclysm,” Bakura stated, sliding his hand over a table, “The dust is really thick. It's almost sickening, except it doesn't have any smell to it.” Personally, Ryou was thankful for that. After having to smell sewage for the last hour or two, he was almost sure his sense of smell had been burned out.
 
“Think the lights work?” Malik asked, though from Ryou's perspective he sounded very far away, “I know that most of the electrical wiring had been destroyed, but maybe Kaiba has a generator.”
 
“Give it a try,” came Yugi's voice, but like Malik, he too sounded a good distance away. Malik felt the closest wall he could find, and pressed a button. Ryou heard buzzing and an odd zapping sound. Then, very slowly, a light came flickering on. It was dim, but it gave enough light to not have to worry about falling onto anything. But it also revealed what Kaiba Corp. had been left to. It was worse than Ryou thought. Large bits of the floor had been stripped away to reveal dirt or cobblestone, and there were chunks of the walls and ceiling missing as well. The elevators looked as though they'd been kicked in to prevent any sort of use, and wires of all kinds were exposed. The only things that were left unharmed were the few pieces of furniture in the lobby.
 
“Why would they leave the furniture?” Malik asked, patting the dust out of a couch, “Is it that valuable in this time?” Ryou examined the couch, but like Malik, couldn't see why it would be spared.
 
“I doubt it matters right now. Whatever started the cataclysm, it seemed to be targeting people, not just everything,” Bakura observed, “If everyone evacuated the building, then it wouldn't see the point in blowing this place up. As for the walls and flooring, that's because time wore it away.” Ryou nodded absently, as it did make sense to him, but he'd only been half listening. He became too preoccupied with a duel disk that was on one of the desks.
 
“You actually think that monster is capable of that kind of logic?” Malik asked, as Ryou bent down to pick up the dueling device, “Then why would it attack Domino at all? There's nothing here!” Ryou noticed that even though the device was well over 1000 years old, it still worked.
 
“Sami said that she's pretty sure the monster we're after is a robot. Why wouldn't it implore logic?” Bakura retorted, as Ryou checked the deck inside the duel disk. To his shock, he found a Dark Necrofear card, followed by an Earl of Demise. But one thing assured him of what he'd suspected. A Change of Heart card fell out last.
 
“Guys?” Ryou called, picking up the card. But both Bakura and Malik were arguing at this point, so Ryou finally had to shout, “GUYS!” That managed to catch their attention as they stopped screaming at each other.
 
“What is it!?” they both snapped, making Yugi jump. Ryou brought both the duel disk and the cards over and set them down. All four of them looked at the cards, and Bakura gasped when he saw the familiar monsters.
 
“I think the future Bakura's been here,” Ryou said darkly, “And judging by the dust on the duel disk, it couldn't have been that long ago.” Bakura picked up the cards and looked at them with a combination of sadness and relief. Ryou could sense his thoughts, and they were about his future self.
 
“Why didn't he just return back to Sami if he was here?” Malik asked, tilting his head with confusion, “I mean, I'd have to guess he loves her if he married her, so why not allay her fears?” Neither Ryou nor Bakura spoke as they looked through their old deck together and found a note in between the cards.
 
“Maybe we'll find him, and then we can ask,” Yugi suggested, turning to Ryou, “What did you find?” At first, Ryou didn't answer as he read the note, but then he looked up. Bakura was still reading the note, and Yugi could've sworn he saw tears forming at the ends of the old thief's eyes, but he didn't press further.
 
“It's a note Bakura wrote to himself,” Ryou whispered, walking over, “It looks like a poem, but it's in hieroglyphs. I can't read what it says.” But from the look on his face, Yugi guessed that Ryou had an idea of what was on the note. Yugi looked at Bakura, who folded the note and stuck it in his pocket.
 
“It's a promise to kill the… the Reploid and return to Sami,” Bakura stated, but his voice sounded strained and croaky, “He wrote it so he'd never forget why he left her.” Both Ryou and Bakura looked down guiltily, but Malik's question snapped them away from their thoughts.
 
“What's a Reploid?” Malik asked. Bakura was about to answer when Basch walked back in, holding what looked like a glowing computer chip. He threw the chip on the table and laid Sith's sword on the ground.
 
“A Reploid is what started the cataclysm,” Basch explained grimly, “It's written in books that were kept on the second floor. There are hundreds of reports, most likely, and those Reploids are all over the place. They're mechanical, but after the cataclysm, they flourished.” Everyone's eyes widened.
 
“So they ARE robots,” Yugi said, and then asked, “But why would Kaiba have these reports? He didn't build robots, did he?” Basch shook his head and handed Ryou a thick report, which Ryou opened and scanned through briefly.
 
“No, but one of his workers did. He's the one who made the first Reploid,” Ryou said, still reading, “He used Kaiba's technology to do it, but when he applied moonglow, he lost control of it. He put it to sleep when its power levels went beyond Kaiba's measuring system, but it must've escaped, somehow.”
 
“Moonglow!? But isn't that what comes off of Sami's wings?” Malik asked, “Why would Kaiba have it, and why would his worker use it?” Ryou nodded grimly.
 
“Sami says moonglow has very enhancing properties. That Reploid must've been created for some sort of super weapon,” Ryou replied, setting the report down and picking the sword up, “Basch, did you find anything else?” Basch, who'd taken to resting for the moment, nodded and stood up.
 
“Yes. There's a passage in the basement, and it leads to under the city. From the layout I remember back in my time, it should lead to the area Pier 6 is in,” Basch said, and led everyone towards a back room, where the staircase to the bottom level stood, “Someone's been through it recently, though, so we must be careful, but we must be quick.” Everyone seemed to agree with that, so they all ran down the stairs, with Bakura leading, his ring flashing as it began to lead him. They ran quickly along the narrow tunnel, barely stopping except to let Basch look at a map he'd taken from somewhere inside Kaiba Corp. Before long, Basch had said they were nearly halfway through the Business district, which was close to Pier 6.
 
“How much farther do we have to go?” Malik asked, when they stopped a third time as Basch pulled out the map. Basch looked at it, as Ryou used a weak Fire spell to light the tunnel up for him to see.
 
“We still have another few hundred feet to go, but we're doing well,” Basch said, “We should be able to…” Basch didn't get to finish what he said, as the Millennium Ring around Bakura's neck flashed quickly, and tugged the poor spirit down a little bit before Bakura managed to get a hold of it.
 
“What's going on?” Yugi asked, alarmed. Bakura twitched as he clutched his item with both hands.
 
“It's reacting to another item,” Bakura growled, “And it's close, too.” As though the item was possibly possessing him, Bakura ran down the tunnel, nearly bowling Malik and Ryou over as he was pushed along helplessly. Everyone watched in sheer confusion as Bakura screamed and ran wildly through the tunnel. Finally, only when his voice faded, did they follow.
 
“What the hell was that about!?” Malik asked, as they all sped after Bakura. Unlike him, though, they didn't have an item to protect them as they tried to make their way through the thickly coated tunnels and waterlogged corridors. Finally, though, they saw Bakura standing in a doorway into a smaller tunnel, his ring glowing faintly. His back was to them, and he was looking at an even dimmer glow a small distance away. Ryou skidded to a stop next to Bakura, but couldn't make out the figure ahead of them.
 
“What is it?” Ryou whispered, squinting his eyes in a hope of seeing farther, but to no avail. Bakura turned to him.
 
“Another Millennium item,” Bakura whispered, “I think it's…” Before Bakura could finish, a gruff voice called from the distance, followed by a flash of light around its neck.
 
“Who's there?” it called, making Ryou and Bakura jump. The figure stood up, and was exactly Bakura's height. He stepped closer into the light before asking, “Who is there!?” The sight shocked everyone, as the man looked very ragged, but aged as much as Sami had. His brown eyes were sharp, and his face was hardened. He had the same scowl that Bakura wore, and his hair was very long, past his waist. He was wearing the same jacket Bakura owned, but his shirt was ripped and muddy, and his pants were stained beyond repair. When he saw both Ryou and Bakura standing there, he gasped.
 
“Who are you!?” Bakura asked the ragged man, as he asked the same thing. The older man settled down, and let his ring dim out again.
 
“I… I am you,” the man said, “But… is this a trick? Is he behind this?” Ryou looked at Bakura, and then to the older Bakura. Both looked very stunned.
 
“We're not a trick. We're real,” Ryou replied calmly, “We traveled through time, but we ended up in the wrong era.” The older Bakura shook his head, and laughed.
 
“Wrong era…” he repeated grimly, “There IS no era. There is nothing now. Just… nothing. Why would you bother coming here? It is a dead wasteland.” He gave a very harsh laugh, one that made even Bakura shiver as he heard it. The intensity in the older man was fierce, and Bakura even felt hatred, something he hadn't felt for a while.
 
“Because your wife asked us to come here,” Ryou said sternly, clenching his fists, “She would never admit it, but she needed us to find you. She…”
 
“My wife is dead!” the older Bakura snapped, “She… she died when… when her last child died.” Tears began to fall down the older man's face, but he quickly wiped them away as he said, “She died the moment I ever suggested we try and stop this horrible event.” Bakura shook his head.
 
“No, she's alive,” Bakura replied gently, though he was very shaken with himself, “She's still waiting for you. She's been waiting for as long as you've been gone. We just came to find the titanium alloy sphere we need so she can help us, but she's still here. Sami's waiting for you.” Hearing that name caused the older man's head to pop up, but he seemed distant. Ryou tilted his head, until the man spoke again.
 
“So she is still alive,” the older Bakura whispered, a slim smile crossing his face, “That old cat is still… but, why would she need a sphere? She's not strong enough to conduct…”
 
“It's to help us get back to our time,” Malik interrupted, “Sami was going to use the last of her life to send us back. She doesn't even know you're alive right now.” The older Bakura's face softened, and he looked away. Ryou could hear he was mumbling, but nothing specific. The older man turned back to them and held out a decent, sphere-shaped object. It was metallic, with gold buttons on it.
 
“This is the sphere you need. I picked it up during my ventures here,” the older Bakura said, “Inside of Kaiba Corp. But all doors and exits were sealed… I've been under these tunnels, trying to get out. I was heading back towards the old pier, hoping that perhaps the guards had left.” No one spoke for a minute. No one was able to find anything to say, especially after hearing what the older Bakura had to say. Finally, Yugi broke the silence.
 
“Why don't you come back with us?” Yugi asked, “Basch opened a way up from outside. Sami's still waiting for you to come home. I'm sure she'll be thrilled to see you.” The older Bakura seemed to be considering the offer, as Ryou saw a familiar grin appear. Though, he didn't know if it was from thinking of home, or just thinking of Sami, and Ryou didn't want to know. Finally, the older Bakura nodded.
 
“Yes. I'll come with you,” he agreed, and pocketed the small sphere, “I… would like to see my wife again. I'm going to help her with your problem. I don't want her to die.” He turned to Basch and nodded approvingly.
 
“Right. The exit is this way,” Basch said, and once again, everyone went on a run through the tunnels. The older man raised his Millennium ring, and all of the slime vanished, making traveling much easier. Before they knew it, they were bounding back up the stairs into the abandoned Kaiba Corp. building and towards the door into the outside world. The older Bakura burst through with ungodly agility, and landed gracefully on a ruined bench.
 
“The… the sun,” he whispered, “It's been… so long since I've been outside.” He looked around, scanning the ruins of Domino. Nothing had changed since he left, but he didn't seem bothered by that. He turned back to Ryou and asked, “Does she… still live in our old house?” Ryou smiled and nodded.
 
“Yes. She's waiting there,” Ryou said, until something caught his eye and he screamed, “Behind you!” The older Bakura jumped off the bench as something metallic and black stepped up. He looked human, but Ryou knew he was a robot, possibly one of those Reploids. His eyes in particular gave his robotic appearance away; they were steely gray.
 
“Get away!” Malik yelled, grabbing his own item, but the Reploid held up one hand, halting everyone's actions.
 
“Allow me to introduce myself,” the Reploid said, putting his hand down, “I am Forte, newest invention of Lady Winchester and faithful retainer of the Winchester family. I am here to help you retrieve the sphere.” No one could sense any hostility, but the older Bakura was still distrustful.
 
“You're the monster who ruined my wife's life and caused her illness,” the older man growled, “Don't you dare say she created you.” Forte, however, held out a small necklace. It had a W on it, followed with a magical inscription. It was Sami's pendant.
 
“Lady Winchester wanted me to give this to you all,” Forte said, handing the jewel to Ryou, “But please, allow me to help you. She repaired me… when she didn't have to.” Ryou glanced to everyone else, but knew the decision was ultimately his choice. He would recognize that pendant anywhere, and knew there wasn't any time for Forte to have hurt Sami.
 
“We have the sphere,” Ryou replied, as the older Bakura took out the sphere, “But if you'd take us to Sami…” To his surprise, Forte actually flinched when he saw the sphere, and made no move to grab it. Instead, he nodded and turned to an old road that cut right through the Red Light district.
 
“She's this way,” Forte said, and led everyone silently through the path. No one spoke, not even when they passed the school again. The smell of the sewer seemed to have left, though Ryou was sure it was only because his nose was used to it. When they reached the lawn of their old house, the older Bakura sighed. He stopped walking, his wild hair covering most of his face.
 
“I can feel her magic,” he whispered, though it seemed to be mostly to himself, “Let me go first.” The older Bakura walked up the porch, and then seemed to freeze. It had been hundreds of years since he saw Sami. What if she forgot him? Ryou could sense this, and took to knocking on the door instead.
 
“Is that you, Forte?” Sami asked, opening the door, “…Ryou!? You're back! Does that mean you found the sphere, dear?” Ryou nodded, and smiled.
 
“We found much more than that, Sami,” he said, and stepped aside to show her Bakura. Her Bakura, the husband she'd been waiting for. She put on her glasses just to make sure she'd seen correctly. When she still saw the older Bakura there, she nearly cried.
 
“…Bakura!!” she exclaimed, and ran off of the steps, tackling the older man over, “My… my dear, where have you been this entire time!? You've made me so worried for you!” The older Bakura simply laughed, trying to get up. Despite Sami's smaller frame, she was still quite a bit heavier than anyone would have ever expected. But, when the older Bakura did manage, he simply hugged her tightly.
 
“I know, dear. I'm sorry,” the older Bakura said, “I meant to find you, but I couldn't escape. I just… I'm just so sorry.” Bakura himself felt sick at what he saw, and Ryou felt a pang of jealousy. He wanted to be that way with Sami, and didn't want to just let her go. Forte saved him the pain as he spoke.
 
“Excuse me, Lady Winchester, but I believe that you have a new mission, as they have found the sphere for you,” he said. Sami laughed, and nodded.
 
“Yes. Yes, of course,” she said, and walked back inside, “Please, everyone, before I decide to change my mind and feel it isn't worth it.” Everyone laughed as they all walked in, save for Forte, who followed Sami silently. Ryou sighed as they walked through his old living room, only one thing running through his mind.
 
“When I get home, I'll have to tell Sami she marries Bakura. She'll freak out.”
 
-----------------------------(End chapter)
 
And so, Ryou is finally returning to his own time! Or, will he? Is Sami strong enough to send him and his pals back, or has her magic faded too much? What is Forte's purpose? Will the Sami in Ryou's time really flip out when she hears she married Bakura? Find all of this out next chapter, so click that Review button!