Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Santa's Gift ❯ Santa's Gift ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Santa's Gift

By LS2 and Phoenix

Disclaimer: We do not own Yugioh! Okay, now that that is out of the way, this is a little fun Seto/Joey Christmas fic. Since this is a fanfic, don't expect the characters to be completely in character. Only the creators of Yugioh can do that, so no fanfic will ever be exact. And there is Tea and Christmas commercialism bashing. Y'all enjoy!

**********

A layer a snow blanketed Domino City, and though the weather was cold most people were in good spirits because it was only two weeks until Christmas...and most importantly, one week until the schools would be on Christmas vacation. The homeroom class of 12B was the most decorated classroom in all of Domino High, winning that year's first prize in the school's decorating contest. Lights and garland were strung all around the room and a fully decorated six-foot Christmas tree sat in the corner by the teacher's desk. There was barely an inch of window that wasn't covered by window paint, which was a scene of a snowy village painted by some of the more artistic students. And then there was mistletoe that hung above the door.

Mrs. Onita walked into the classroom wearing a sweater that had a Christmas tree on it, along with blinking lights. "Attention class." Not a single student paid her any attention. She slapped her hand against her desk. "Attention!" This time all students turned their eyes to the front of the class. "This year we are going to do Secret Santas." She beamed in joy at her own idea.

Joey made a face, his chin resting on his hands on his desk. He was having a hard enough time trying to think up gifts for his friends since he had practically no money. Now he had to think of a gift for someone that he barely knew!

Tea, on the other hand, was ecstatic. "That's a wonderful idea Mrs. Onita! What are the rules?"

Mrs. Onita gave Tea a beaming smile. "Each of you will draw a name out of a Santa hat then show it to me. But then you are to tell no one else. And you can only spend a maximum of ten dollars."

Seto rolled his eyes. 'My socks cost more then that. How cheap.' The idea of having to go out and buy a gift for one of his classmates was appalling. The only person he cared to exchange gifts with was his brother Mokuba, and that was just a case of sending his brother's list, minus a few none age appropriate gifts like the motorcycle he asked for last year, to the toy store. He never did the shopping or the wrapping himself. The Christmas bonuses and gift baskets for employees and associates really didn't count as gifts, all that involved was signing a couple checks.

'Like I have ten dollars to spend!' Joey rolled his eyes, making a gagging motion when Tea started clapping. Both Tristan and Yugi had a hard time not chuckling out loud at the action...well Tristan anyway. Yugi had more tack and better skill when dealing with a too excited Tea. Though it was harder this time with Yami laughing hysterically in his head!

Most of the class just stared at Tea as though she was just insane as their teacher, though a few others also seemed to like Mrs. Onita's idea.

'Ra help me if that psycho bitch draws my name.' Seto thought to himself. 'Why can't I just get called away for business now?'

Mrs. Onita pulled out a Santa hat. "Well, Tea. Why don't you come up and be the first to draw a name."

"Yes ma'am." Tea smiled brightly as she quickly walked up to draw a name. She smiled brightly when she saw it, almost telling everyone out loud. But she quickly clamped a hand over her mouth, smiling sheepishly as she gave Mrs. Onita the paper.

Mrs. Onita continued to call the students up one by one. Yugi, Tristan, Ryou and several other students had been called up before she called on Joey. "Just reach into the hat and pick a name."

"Right." Joey sighed, getting up and moving to the front. He reached into the hat and pulled out a slip of paper, only to pale slightly when he read the person's name. Joey's face quickly changed to a frown as he handed the paper to Mrs. Onita. He was so grateful that his back was to the class.

Seto frowned slightly; at least the teacher had learned to not call him by his first name. That was something he only allowed his brother to do. Seto walked to the front of the class and reached into the hat, grabbing one of the pieces of paper. He unfolded it and stared at the name: Joey Wheeler. 'The gods hate me...that has got to be it. Drawing the mutt's name like that...they hate me...' He scowled and shoved the paper at the teacher then stalked back to his desk and sat down.

'Wonder what his problem is? Can't be worse than mine.' Joey sighed softly to himself before resting his head back on his desk. A week wasn't going to be much time.

Several minutes later all the names had been drawn. "Now I will remind you that you are not to share the name you drew with anyone. And do not spend more then ten dollars." Mrs. Onita lectured the class. "And now we will get back to our study of the book 'A Christmas Carol.'

'Dumb bitch for picking that book. I am sick of all the fucking Scrooge jokes. I am not that bad...I give my employees a Christmas vacation. And bonuses. That Scrooge just had no real business sense.' Seto thought to himself, scowling as he heard Tristan whisper one of those jokes to his friends.

Joey sighed and pulled out his book, pretending to be reading and taking notes though he was actually busy trying to figure out what to get his friends and his Santa pal. Besides, he had heard this story so many times from Tea, who insisted on reading it out loud to everyone every Christmas, he was pretty confident that if the teacher called his name he could immediately pick up where the last student left off.

The day seemed to drag on forever, and it seemed Mrs. Onita was no longer the only teacher that was overly festive. All the classrooms were decorated, some more then others. All the teachers were dressed in holiday 'garb', some more the others. And someone had come up with the bright idea of playing Christmas music over the PA system between classes. Seto, not to mention several others, was more than ready for school to end!

*************************************************************** *********

Over the next couple of days Seto was kept busy with school, not that much work was done during class time, just that every teacher was handing out assignments to be done over the vacation. Then there was all the work involved in running his corporation and working on inventions. And at home Mokuba seemed to have gotten the Christmas spirit and insisted on getting a real tree for the mansion and going all out on decorating the mansion.

It was Thursday after school when he remembered that he still had to buy a gift for Joey because of the whole secret Santa thing that the foolish teacher had thought up. Not wanting to risk getting any of his cars scratched in the mall parking lot he had his driver drop him off at the front door. Seto climbed out of the backseat, dressed in a long black woolen trench coat and leather gloves. He ignored the stares of the people who were coming and going from the mall and made his way inside.

His eyes widened slightly, he hadn't expected the place to be quite so packed! Though people had noticed him outside, in here he became lost in a sea of people. Christmas music was playing at an overly loud volume almost drowning out the din of noise caused by all the people talking. Gaudy decoration hung from the high ceilings and decorated the centers of the corridors. Seto had always heard malls were busy at this time of the year but he hadn't expected it to be this busy. He began to make his way along the corridor, glancing at the decorate store windows as he tried to think what to buy 'the mutt'. People pushed and shoved to make him get out of their way, never even muttering an apology before hurrying on their way. The heat seemed to be cranked up full blast and with such a warm coat on he felt like he was in a sauna.

"Greetings sir. Would you like to try our men's cologne?" A woman with too bright red lipstick smiled, holding out a bottle of overpowering cologne whose smell alone could peal paint. "The women love it."

"I have no desire for cheap crap that you are pedaling." Seto glared at the woman with distaste.

The woman blinked in shock before smiling just as annoyingly. "Then how about another fragrance. I'm sure a charming young man like yourself has a lovely lady who loves perfume."

Seto suppressed the urge to let this woman know his true opinion and in effect bring the woman to tears…after all it was nearly Christmas and he wasn't completely void of Christmas spirit. "The fragrances you sell here would disgust even a skunk." And that was the kindest response he could think to give the annoyingly perky woman.

The woman's mouth opened and closed a few times. Then she huffed and walked off to annoy a friendlier customer. "Well I never! Spoiled kid!"

Seto rolled his eyes and continued on his way. There seemed to be an increasing number of screaming little kids as he continued to walk through the mall and Seto soon found out why…Santa's Snowy Village was set up in the middle of the mall. A long line of frustrated looking parents stood in line waiting for their turn to sit their little brat on the man dressed in Santa suit's lap so they could list all the things they wanted for Christmas to someone who could care less. Seto snorted slightly, he had never believed in Santa Claus not even when he had been living in a somewhat normal childhood.

"Hi Kaiba!" Seto turned to see Yugi and Tea walking over to him. Yugi smiled brightly. "You bring Mokuba to see Santa?"

"Hardly. Mokuba is far too intelligent to believe in such a foolish myth." Seto replied.

Tea laughed. "He is much older than these kids. But Santa Claus is still fun...even if you don't believe in him."

"Doing some last minute shopping?" Yugi asked nervously, not sure if Kaiba was going to kill Tea for being so perky.

"No, I just thought I would come to the mall for something to do." Seto said in a sarcastic tone. "Of course I am doing some last minute shopping! Is that what you and your little girlfriend are doing or did you come to sit and Santa's knee and tell him you want to get a life for Christmas?"

Yugi blushed, though whether over the girlfriend or the Santa comment no one could be sure. Or it could've been Yami snickering loudly in his head. "We're trying to find gifts for our Secret Santa project. We bumped into each other at the game shop."

"I thought the two of you would've jumped to finish this project." Seto glanced at Tea. The annoying girl was dressed all in red and had a pair of fuzzy antlers on her head. Seto couldn't help but chuckle slightly; he quickly glanced away from her. "Considering how excited you were about the whole stupid secret Santa thing."

"Oh I finished a long time ago! But then I decided that what I bought would be better for me so I needed to find something else." Tea smiled brightly and clapped her hands. "I just love Christmas shopping!"

Yugi made a slight face. "I've been busy helping grandfather with his store. Lost track of time and forgot."

"On second thought you might be better off asking Santa for new girlfriend." Seto smirked Yugi.

"Maybe." Yugi mumbled very low, only to smile brightly when Tea looked down at him. "We were planning on eating some hamburgers before shopping. No one can know who we drew, so we can't really shop together."

"I forgot about that." Tea pouted slightly. "Guess I'll have to shop solo."

'I really hope she didn't draw my name.' Seto thought before moving to step around them. "I have shopping to finish."

"Wait Kaiba!" Tea smiled and grabbed Kaiba's arm. "Why don't you join us?"

Seto glared at her, wanting to break her hand for touching him. But he knew if he did that Yami would make an appearance and he didn't want to deal with the former pharaoh. "I don't eat fast food."

"You don't? Joey would probably faint if he heard you say that." Tea laughed before letting go of his arm. "Tristan too!"

Yugi laughed nervously as he started to pull Tea away. "Yeah. Well let's go get something to eat. Good luck shopping Kaiba."

Seto didn't bother to reply, he just started to walk off wanting to get far away from the perky girl before he actually did some damage. He actually pitied Yugi for not having the same luxury as him to be able to just walk away from her.

**********

After only fifteen minutes, Seto was ready to storm out of the place. It was too crowded! He could barely walk through the mob. The worst was when he passed some dreamy eyed teenage girls. Somehow those girls had managed to worm through the crowds, slap his rear only to disappear again. Needless to say his Christmas spirit was rapidly going down the drain.

For the next several minutes Seto debated buying the mall and closing it to the public so he could shop in peace. He stopped in front the video store that was playing the cartoon classic 'How the Grinch Stole Christmas' on all its screens. 'Should be how The Grinch didn't steal Christmas. He was an idiot to return the gifts because they sang some annoying song.' Seto continued shopping bypassing yet another bell ringing money beggar. And this one had a foolish notion that they could sing.

"Merry Christmas good sir!" The Salvation worker smiled warmly. "Care to donate some spare change for the poor?"

"I don't give money to panhandlers." Seto responded.

The man's eyes widened in shock, then he smiled weakly. "Have a Merry Christmas sir."

It wasn't that he didn't donate to charities...Seto just didn't trust the ones that stood with the pot; they were too apt to pocket the money. Besides he had already sent out all the five thousand 'Christmas donation' checks out to the charities that he felt were worth supporting. And all the toys Mokuba out grew or no longer liked were boxed up every year and sent to charities. After all despite what most people thought he really wasn't that heartless. Especially when it came to children that were in need…not when he had once been one of those children.

As Seto continued to worm his way through the mass of moving shoppers, his eyes fell on a toy store - Toys Delight. The store was packed to bursting with shoppers and screaming children. Kaiba cringed mentally and almost walked past, but then changed his mind and pushed his way in. Perhaps he could find something for Mokuba that wasn't on the kid's list and surprise him. Wouldn't hurt to look...after all, this shopping trip was pure hell and he seriously doubted that it would get worse.

The most crowded areas in the store seemed to be the video game section…which Seto really didn't mind. After all lot of the games those people were buying had been developed by Kaiba Corp, most of which he had developed himself. The other area that was busy was around bins that were filled with discounted toys, things that had not been popular in several Christmases. Seto completely ignored these areas and made his way deeper into the store.

A saleswoman with hair redder than her Christmas Elf outfit suddenly popped up in front of him, startling him. "Hello sir and welcome to Toys Delight. Our well-stocked store is full of a wide variety of toys. I'm sure we can help you find anything you're looking for."

Seto suppressed an annoyed growl; he was getting sick of perky salespeople. "I am just looking right now."

"Let me help you." The woman said excitedly and clapped her hands. She immediately began pointing out each aisle. "Over here you will find our action figures...I'd highly recommend our Limited Addition Dark Magician. In that aisle we have all our dolls...a little girl would absolutely love our Wedding Dress Mystic Elf. And over there..."

It was all Seto could do to keep from laughing, trying to sell him a Dark Magician… anything was about like trying to tell an Eskimo that he needed to buy an air conditioner for his igloo. "I do not need your help. I am capable of doing my own shopping."

The woman studied the CEO for a moment, her Santa hat barely on her head. "Have you been here before?"

"No. I tend to avoid places like this." Seto admitted.

"Then how can you say you don't need help if you've never been here. This is our largest store. You don't know where anything is. And in this crowd you'll likely miss what you're looking for."

"I am not looking for anything specific and your suggestions are rather pathetic. Especially since you seem to be under the impression that I would buy a Dark Magician figure."

"It's our most popular item." The woman's annoying smile never faltered. "As well as our Blue Eyes White Dragon and Red Eyes Black Dragon figures."

Seto would've considered a Blue Eyes figure if he hadn't already had several specially made for himself, all of which were a far better quality than the cheap plastic of the action figures. He recalled that the mutt loved his Red Eyes Black Dragon card but decided it really wasn't what he wanted to give the blonde. "I have no interest in buying such cheaply made merchandise."

"Oh! So you're looking for better quality merchandise!" The woman stared clapping again. "Let me show you our finer toys!"

"Just go bother someone else." Seto scowled. " I...do...not...want...your...help." He spoke each word slowly and clearly hoping to she'd take the hint and leave him alone.

The red head didn't seem to hear him as she started listing the toys. "We have rare early 20th century Barbie dolls...several of the original board games...of course many Duel Monsters, even very rare cards..."

Seto was in disbelief that this saleswoman couldn't get it through her head that he did not want her help. He wondered if she was related to Tea, both seemed equally oblivious. Seto decided to walk away from her and hope that she wouldn't follow and go pester another customer.

The woman didn't...she was too busy listing off items. The other customers ignored her and went around her, not wanting to bother her and have her helping them. As Seto continued moving through the store he was constantly being pushed or shoved aside as an overeager shopper raced to get a popular toy. The store claimed to be well stocked, and on normal days it probably was, but before Christmas many of the shelves were rapidly becoming bare.

Finally the perfect gift to buy the mutt caught his attention. He maneuvered his way through the crowded aisle and picked it up. It was a medium sized plushie - a fuzzy dog. The fur matched the color of Joey's hair and it had the same big honey colored eyes. He recognized the red heart tag as being the kind Mokuba was always asking for, Beanie Babies, though Mokuba said the bigger ones were called something else and the smaller ones had yet another name. He wasn't sure why there needed to be three versions of one stuffed animal but Mokuba seemed to think it all made perfect sense.

"THAT'S MINE!" A teenaged brunette girl dressed in tight blue jeans and an even tighter shirt screamed as she reached to grab the dog from Seto, who had grabbed the last one. "I saw it first!"

"You may have saw it first but I picked it up first. So tough shit."

"So?" The girl glared up at the CEO, her hands resting on her hips. "I still saw it first and I want it! What does a guy want with a doll anyway?"

"First off it's Christmas and it's a present for someone else. And secondly it's a dog not a doll." Seto spoke to the girl as though she were a little child.

"Fine! Stuffed animal! That is the last one and I've been searching for that one for weeks!" The teenager refused to back down and made a grab for the dog again.

Seto easily managed to keep the dog from the girl and glared at her as though she were some lower life form. "I really don't care."

"GIVE IT TO ME!" The girl wailed. The other customers didn't appear to notice, so the scene she wanted to create didn't happen. It did, however, attract the attention of her father who angrily dragged the teenager out of the store.

Relieved that he didn't have to deal with the annoying teenager any longer Seto made his way back up to the front of the store and stood at the end of one of the long lines. He hadn't been standing there for more then a few seconds when a woman with graying hair and a pile of toys in her arms pushed her way in front of him. "Back of the line, lady." Seto growled.

The old woman looked Seto up and down then snorted. "You were the one not in line. Your loss."

"I was in line. You are the one who cut in." Seto narrowed his eyes at the woman. He wondered why so many women seemed to take it upon themselves to bother him today, though it was reminding him why he didn't like 'girls'. Women were too unpredictable!

"Deal with it." The old woman said indifferently, turning her back to him completely.

Seto growled slightly and lost his last lingering bit of Christmas spirit. He bumped the woman just enough to make her lose her grip on some of the toys she was holding. As soon as she bent down to retrieve them he stepped around her back to the place he had been standing in line.

The woman didn't notice...she was too busy complaining under her breath and picking up the toys. By the time she was finished, the line had moved on and several other people were behind Kaiba. These buyers had overheard their conversation earlier so were giving the woman the evil eye. There was no way she'd be able to cut in front of anyone else!

Finally Seto made it to the front of the line and was able to make his purchase. He was practically holding his breath waiting for something to go wrong at the cash register and was a little surprised when nothing happened. The dog cost twenty dollars, which was twice as much as they were suppose to spend but Seto really didn't care...he just hoped it would all be worth it after this much hassle. The clerk stuffed the dog into a bag and handed it to Seto along with a candy cane and a very exhausted sounding 'Merry Christmas'.

Seto began to make his way back through the mall trying to find the nearest exit. He wasn't sure if there was any wrapping paper at home but didn't feel like standing in a long line to have someone else wrap it. After all he could just leave it in the bag and not bother to wrap it.

Finally he managed to make it out of the mall without further incident, for which Seto was very grateful. He called his driver and waited and waited. Nearly fifteen minutes later the limo finally pulled up and his driver quickly rushed to open the door for him.

"I am so sorry, sir. There was a lot of traffic…" The driver quickly explained.

"That's understandable." Seto said before getting into the back of the limo. He decided that he was never going to go Christmas shopping ever again. It just wasn't worth the hassle.

**********

Once back at the mansion he took the plush dog to his room and began to search the house for wrapping paper. After fifteen minutes, he finally found some that was red with little black reindeer on it. He took the wrapping paper to his room only to find out that he had no tape. So he went to his office and got a roll of tape. Then realized he had no scissors and went back to his office and got them.

He unrolled the wrapping paper and grabbed the dog out of the bag, only to come to the realization that he had forgotten to get a box to put it in. Seto growled as he once again left the room...today just wasn't his day. He looked around his office and finally found a box that looked big enough to hold the dog. Before he left his office he noticed a box of cards and flipped through them, finding one of a puppy with a Santa hat. Taking the card and an envelope from the bottom of the box, he returned to his room. He moved over to where he had left everything else, wondering why he hadn't just wrapped it in his office in the first place! To top the day off, before he could reach everything he stumped his toe on the case that he kept his extra cards in. He glared at the case and cursed it then moved to wrap the gift. Though instead of putting the card on the outside he stuck it in the box along with an extra gift in the envelope - just to prove he had some Christmas spirit.

*************************************************************** *********

On Friday the classroom was full of Christmas spirit...even more than usual! The room somehow had even more Christmas decorations than before! All the Secret Santa presents were under the tree. Students were walking around the room, talking animatedly over who knows what. On the teacher's desk were several different kinds of Christmas cookies, as well as a bowl of punch and plenty of cups. It was hard to tell who was more excited...the students or Mrs. Onita. Mrs. Onita was talking as much as the students as everyone waited for the bell to ring for class to start.

Mrs. Onita clapped her hands after the bell rang, signaling everyone to go to their seats. This time her Christmas sweater had bells that twinkled and rang as she talked. "Alright everyone! Did you enjoy buying presents for your Secret pal?"

Surprisingly Tea wasn't the only one who answered with a loud YES! Seto felt like saying 'fuck no' but decided against it. He doubted that he was the only one who chose not to reply with that.

Mrs. Onita grinned brightly. "Now since everyone tagged the gifts I will be the one handing out the presents. When I call your name come up and get your present. Once you have your gift go back to your seat. Though wait until I finish handing all the gifts out before opening yours." She began picking up gifts and calling out names. When each student came she handed them their gift and a candy cane that had pipe cleaner and googley eyes stuck on the plastic to make them look like reindeer.

One by one the students walked up and got their presents. Joey made a face over the candy cane, though he quickly smiled and thanked Mrs. Onita. He really didn't want to get detention over a stupid candy cane. Joey sat down and studied his package as he waited for the rest of the students to get their gifts. His name was the only one of the package...so there was no telling who the gift was from. Though it didn't make him as nervous as the gift he made for his Santa 'pal'.

Yugi was called next and he seemed more excited then before about the gift giving idea as soon as he was handed the prettily wrapped box. He returned to his seat and sat staring at the box as though trying to see through the wrapping paper to see what present lie beneath the red paper.

Tristan was the next one called and he didn't seem too amused that his package looked to be the smallest one under the tree.

Next Tea was called up and Mrs. Onita handed her the gift and the candy cane. "Thank you, Mrs. Onita. These reindeer candy canes are just so cute!" She smiled brightly at the teacher.

"Why thank you, Tea. I made them myself." Mrs. Onita grinned.

Seto was the next name called. He walked up the front and accepted the gift and candy cane without a word and returned to his seat. He wondered who the gift was from and if it would be like the gifts he had received in the past from people trying to buy his friendship or managers of other companies that were trying to get in good with the CEO of Kaiba Corp. Or perhaps it was someone who knew better and just bought the first piece of 'crap' that they found. Either way he figured no thought had gone into the gift that sat on the desk in front of him.

As soon as all the gifts were handed out, Mrs. Onita smiled brightly and clapped her hands. Joey was being to think she thought she was teaching an elementary class. "Alright everyone." Mrs. Onita laughed. "Open your presents!"

Yugi grabbed his box and ripped off the wrapping, sending bits of red paper flying in all directions.

"Yugi, you should try to not rip the paper." Tea sighed as she careful peeled the tape off her present.

Yugi just ignored and opened the box, pulling out another box that held a three inch high Dark Magician figure. "SO COOL!" Yugi said as he carefully examine the figure.

"I knew you would like it." Tea grinned boastfully.

"Thanks." Yugi grinned, though he never looked over at her as his attention was focused on the Dark Magician figure. Chances were Yami's attention was focused on it as well.

If seeing the figure made Seto cringe, he never showed it. Besides, everyone was too busy trying not to laugh out loud over Tea's gift. Tea had a strange expression on her face as she held up her baseball glove from Tristan. "Um...this is great, Tristan. I love it." Tea smiled slightly, a huge sweatdrop on her forehead.

"I knew you'd like it! As soon as I saw it I knew it was something you needed." Tristan smiled proudly. Then he opened his gift to find a rock and hand written instructions on how to care for a pet rock. He stared at the rock that looked like it had just been picked up off the street.

"I hope you like it. I didn't know what to get you." Yugi smiled sheepishly. "But pet rocks are suppose to be really popular."

"Gee… thanks Yugi." Tristan smiled, only to frown as soon as Yugi was no longer looking.

It took Joey a few minutes to keep from laughing out loud over the look on Tea's and Tristan's faces from their gifts. "Well time to see how bad my gift is. Though I have no clue who sent this for me." Joey mumbled as he slowly pulled off the wrapping paper.

All of Joey's friends seemed more interested in their gifts then to worry about what Joey was getting. Seemed Yugi was the only one who really liked his gift. Tea was busy pondering how to trade the gift for something better and Tristan was trying to decipher the instructions Yugi had written on how to care for a pet rock.

Joey's eyes were huge when he opened the gift, only to narrow quickly and glance around the room for the prankster. No one was paying any attention to him, so he couldn't tell if whoever gave him this had meant it as a sick joke or not. Joey sighed and pulled the puppy out of the box. "It is cute." He couldn't help but smile as he hugged the animal. He secretly loved puppies! Even stuffed animals! Joey blinked and tilted his head slightly when he saw the card. "What's this?"

Seto stopped peeling at the tape on his gift to watch Joey's reaction to the gift and found himself giving a smile of relief when it was obvious that the mutt liked the plush dog. It made him think the all the hassle at the mall was worth it, not that he would ever admit that out loud.

Honey eyes grew even wider when Joey opened the card and saw what was inside. The card wasn't signed, but he had no trouble figuring out who the sender was: one, cause of the comment 'Use these to improve your deck and hopefully your dueling skills.' and two, cause there were three very rare cards inside! Yugi didn't even have any of them! Joey wasn't sure how long he just stared at the cards with his mouth open and looking like a complete idiot before finally looking over at Kaiba. The CEO was not even paying any attention to him as he worked on opening his own gift. "Why would he give me of all people these?" Joey mumbled in disbelief before looking at the cards once more and putting them in his pocket. His eyes grew a little sad as he picked up the dog and hugged it again. "I'm still just a mutt to him."

Seto wasn't sure why he was so obsessed with wanting to make sure that Joey actually liked the present he had picked out. Though as he picked at the tape on the package he knew that was a lie. He did know exactly why he wanted the blonde to like the gift...he liked him, or at least had bit of crush on Joey at some level. After all they were not opposites…in fact their lives held many similarities. The only difference was the paths they were on.

Turning his attention back to his own gift, Seto finally opened it to find a lot of tissue paper and one envelope. He frowned but opened it anyway. Inside was a simple piece of notebook paper and a message: I have no idea how you'll react over your gift, not sure if you'll like it or not. So you'll find it in your locker...that way you won't lose face if you like it and I won't see you tear it apart if you hate it.

Merry Christmas, Joey

P.S. Your locker 'security' sucks. I had no problem breaking into it.

Seto stared at the paper wondering what kind of joke this was supposed to be. He crumpled the paper into a ball with a frown. So Joey had broken into his locker and left something there as a 'surprise.' 'Probably some form of practical joke so he and his friends can have a laugh at my expense.'

If it was a joke, no one was paying any attention to the CEO. Joey was grinning and talking to a very excited Yugi, who was showing his friend his Black Magician. Surprisingly Joey still had the puppy out, holding the stuff animal in his lap. Tea was at Tristan, only to quickly smile when he turned to look at her. Mrs. Onita was already handing out punch and cookies to each student.

Seto stuffed the wadded up paper into his desk and pulled his laptop, immediately started working and completely ignoring the festivities…not that anyone was making any attempt involve him. Not even Mrs. Onita made any more effort other then to give him a glass of punch and some sugar cookies on a napkin on his desk before walking off.

Joey glanced over at Kaiba before quickly turning his attention back to the other students. He knew Kaiba wouldn't care about any gift, no matter who gave it to him. At least this way Joey wouldn't see the guy's look of indifference if Joey had given it to him in class. After all the time and work he put into it, seeing that would literally tear him apart. Joey quickly laughed as some stupid joke Tristan made...better to not pay any attention to the CEO. Though Joey had no clue how the hell he could say 'Thank you' and have the brunette actually believe him!

It wasn't very long until Seto shut his computer off, tucked it back into his bag, and stood up, walking out of the class with his bag without saying anything to the teacher. Though Mrs. Onita was too bust trying to sing Christmas carols along with the music that was playing on the CD player she had brought in to notice. Seto headed to his locker and looked at the lock that had been tampered with. It was by no means a high security lock, just a simple combination lock that cost little more then five dollars. He turned the knob on the lock then carefully opened the locker, apprehensive of what might pop out at him.

Nothing popped out. Leaning against several of his books and other stuff was a rectangular gift wrapped in newspaper funnies and tied together in red and green strings.

Removing the wrapping revealed an eight by ten picture frame. The black frame was simple and cheap, most likely bought from Wal-Mart. But what shocked Seto was the drawing inside. It was a charcoal drawing of himself in dueling mode. He was dressed in his white trench coat, a dueling disk on one arm, his right hand holding three cards. In the background were his three Blue Eyes White Dragons. One was flying above him, the creature's wings spread almost protectively overhead, its mouth closed and eyes glaring out of the picture. Another dragon was on his right, rearing its head high and mouth open, shooting blue flames. The last dragon was on his left, roaring a challenge to any who dared. All three were hovering protectively around their master. Everything was in amazing detail! What amazed Seto most was the coloring. The black lines were sharp and distinct, clearing showing the determination and strong will of the characters. But the other colors were soft and gentle, suggesting a tenderness hidden deep within. It was truly beautiful!

Seto stared at the picture in shock unable to believe that this was the gift Joey had tried so hard to hide. He stood studying the picture, thinking that if Joey had drawn it himself that the blonde was a truly gifted artist and that he had obviously put a lot of effort into the drawing. No one had ever put so much effort in a gift for him!

"For someone who's supposed to be a graceful dancer, she sure is a klutz!" Joey grumbled, walking out of the classroom and heading for the bathroom. He froze when he saw Kaiba standing in front of his locker, just staring at the picture. "Oh shit! Gotta go!" Joey quickly turned around and decided that going to the bathroom upstairs might be a better idea.

Seto turned when he heard someone coming down the hall and saw Joey. "Wheeler."

Joey froze again. "Uh...yeah?"

"You draw this?" Seto held up the picture.

"Um...yeah." Joey mumbled as he turned around, fumbling with the huge red punch stain on his yellow sweater. He smiled slightly when he finally looked up at Kaiba. "Thanks for the gifts, man. Very nice."

"Yeah well…it reminded me of you and your deck does need a lot of work." Seto said. "You are quite an artist. And though I will probably change the frame, I will be keeping the picture."

Honey eyes widened for the third time in less than fifteen minutes! Joey blinked. "Oh. Um...glad ya like it."

Seto looked down at the picture then looked at Joey. He was quiet for a moment as he took notice of the mistletoe that Joey was standing under. Why it was there at that moment, he had no clue. Seto knew he could deny to the world that he had a crush on the blonde. He could even deny it to himself. But he knew he couldn't deny himself this one chance to kiss Joey. "Are you aware that you are standing under mistletoe and that it is tradition to kiss under mistletoe?" Seto asked Joey as he stepped closer. Then without waiting for a response the young CEO threw caution to the wind and acted impulsively, placing a light kiss on Joey's lips.

Joey was certain that his eyes had gotten impossibly wide! If he kept getting shocked, they might stay that way! He lightly placed his fingers on his lips, staring in shock up at Seto as the CEO pulled away. "Why...why did you do...do that?"

"You are standing under mistletoe." Seto responded calmly. He was cursing himself for his impulsive action even though the kiss had felt wonderful and temptation was urging him to do it again.

"Was...was that the only reason?"

Seto gave a small shrug. "It is a tradition to kiss underneath mistletoe."

"Oh." Joey mumbled quietly as he looked down at his stain again. Was that the only reason why Kaiba did that, or was there something more? And since when did Kaiba do anything that even hinted at emotion in public? Joey looked up at Seto again. The CEO was once more looking at the picture. Joey smirked and decided to chance it. He quickly reached up and wrapped his arms around Seto's neck, yanking the brunette's head down for a quick kiss. Joey didn't care if the CEO punched him...it'd be worth it.

It was Seto's turn to stare in shock. Joey's kiss seemed to warm his heart and renew his spirit with Christmas joy. "What was that for?" Seto asked after a moment. He didn't know what Joey's intentions were but doubted it was anything more then returning 'tradition' back on him.

"I...uh...always wanted...to..." Joey whispered, turning red in the cheeks as he quickly stepped back and inched away. "I...I gotta go..."

Seto just stared at Joey for a moment, certain he had heard the blonde wrong. He couldn't understand why Joey would ever have wanted to kiss him. "So, you have lots of things planned for Christmas?" He felt like an idiot the moment the words left his mouth.

'Why is he asking me that? Surely he wants to slug me for saying that out loud!' Joey paused in his mid-retreat and looked up at the CEO cautiously. Finally he sighed and shrugged. "Not really. Was just gonna hang around my house and work on a few things. Wanted to see my sis, but she and mom are flying to see some relatives. So not doing that."

Seto looked down at the picture, wondering what was compelling him to even ask Joey this. He decided since he had already thrown caution to the wind once today, he may as well do it again and see where it took him. After all last time it led to two wonderful kisses. "Well, Mokuba has over-planned our Christmas dinner we'll have too much food for just the two of us and you always seem to have a bottomless stomach… if you want Christmas dinner you're welcome to come over." Seto couldn't believe how nervous he was asking Joey over to dinner. He could run the company and never blink at the demands made by him or that others tried to make upon him. This just seemed so different, and somehow far more important then any question he had ever asked before.

"Really? I don't know..." Joey mumbled as he looked down at the stain on his sweater. What was going on? First Kaiba kissed him and now he was inviting him over to his place! Did he suddenly fall into the Twilight Zone or something? Was this some sort of cruel joke? Was it worth the risk? But then again...all Joey had at his place was leftovers. Chances were his dad was going to be out drinking all night. If not then he'd stay at home and Joey would spend the evening fetching beer and cleaning up the man's mess before helping the drunk fool into bed. Neither one was very appealing. Besides, Mokuba was a fun kid. Joey smiled. Better to deal with insults and have some good food than be at home and eating whatever wasn't moldy in the fridge. "Sounds good. I'm in."

"We'll probably be eating around four, but you can come over whenever you want on Christmas day. Mokuba will want to be up at the crack of dawn to open his presents." Though on the outside he looked indifferent inside Seto was overjoyed that Joey had agree to come.

"Okay. I'll call before I leave my house." Joey quickly looked back down at his sweater. He was still shocked that Kaiba hadn't punched him yet! Was there a possibility or was it still only wishful thinking. "Uh...I better get this cleaned up. Glad ya like the gift."

"Okay." Seto looked at Joey and gave a small smile. "And I am glad you like yours."

"It's awesome! Wasn't expecting the cards." Joey chuckled, then jumped when the bell rang. He blushed and smiled sheepishly as he backed away. "And the dog...was cute too. Uh...see ya!"

Seto gave a slight nod and turned back to his locker, wondering why he had invited Joey over for Christmas dinner and why Joey had accepted the offer without protest. All he knew was that Christmas was going to be interesting this year.

*************************************************************** *********

"I can't believe I'm doing this." Joey shivered as he walked through the snow toward the Kaiba mansion. Not only that, he spent a good hour trying decide what the hell to wear. He had even been sleeping with that stuffed dog! What the hell was wrong with him? "Damn I got it so bad. And for my enemy too...real smooth Joey." Joey would have laughed if the situation weren't so pathetic!

His choices were very slim, but he had managed to find a slightly decent and clean pair of blue jeans and a green sweater Serenity had given him for his last birthday. After making sure his dad was warm and comfortable where he had passed out on the couch, Joey quickly left. It was a white Christmas and Joey was sure Mokuba probably had had a ball this morning between Santa Claus and all the snow.

Before Joey knew it, he was standing in front of Kaiba's door. He never realized it, so caught up in all the winter beauty. The sun was low to the horizon, making the winter wonderland even more beautiful. It didn't make him less nervous though. Taking a deep breath, Joey knocked on the door.

There was thump on the other side of the door and a moment later the door opened. Mokuba was standing, quite unsteadily, on a pair of roller blades. He grinned brightly when he saw Joey, but never let go of his hold on the door. "JOEY! I am so happy you came! Seto said you might but I really didn't think you would come but you did come and I am happy that you came!" Mokuba said excitedly and talking a mile a minute, making it obvious that the young boy was on a major sugar rush.

"Great to see ya too, Mokuba." Joey laughed as he remember his little sister when she was around the same age. She was just as bad, especially during Christmas! "So...ya trying out your Christmas gift?"

Mokuba rapidly nodded his head. "But now that you are here I got my real Christmas wish I wanted…" Mokuba didn't have a chance to finish his sentence though when Seto stepped into the entryway. "Mokuba."

Mokuba turned and looked at his older brother. "What?"

"What did I tell you about roller blading in the house?" Seto sighed as he leaned against a wall. He was surprisingly dressed casually, in a pair of simple khaki pants and a deep blue sweater.

"Umm…not to do it. BUT there's too much snow outside." Mokuba complained.

"Which is why you shouldn't leave our guest standing out on the porch." Seto pointed out.

"Oh yeah!" Mokuba grinned sheepishly. "Come on in, Joey."

"Thanks." Joey chuckled as he stepped inside and closed the door. He immediately caught Mokuba's hand when the kid started to fall. Joey grinned and knelt down to check out the blades. "Easy there kiddo. These are awesome blades! Were ya really that good or just that good at not getting caught?"

"Actually I am not that good yet but my big brother was too busy tending to dinner to know I was practicing." Mokuba grinned.

"Well, now you are going to sit down on that bench and take those off." Seto shook his head over his brother's mixed up response.

"Yes, Seto." Mokuba said sliding over to the bench and sitting down.

Joey chuckled, shaking his head as he stood up and took off his coat. Then he looked around sheepishly. Where the hell was he supposed to put it? Normally he'd just drape it over a chair at his friends' houses, but something told him he wasn't supposed to do that here.

"Just hang it on the coat rack." Seto told him.

"I can do it!" Mokuba said jumping up and almost falling over his roller blades.

"I can do it, kiddo. Don't break an ankle." Joey grinned before moving to hang his coat, once he found the rack. "Y'all have a Merry Christmas?"

"It was a good Christmas anyway. Did you have a good Christmas?" Mokuba asked.

"It was good." Joey smiled. He really didn't do anything except sleep in, which he needed since he was restless last night. All because of this dinner. That and Kaiba's kiss had been haunting him for days! Joey chuckled as Mokuba grabbed his hand and led him further into the house. His whole world had gone wacko since the last day of school. He seriously doubted it could get any stranger.

Mokuba dragged Joey into the dining room, which was fancily decorated for Christmas. Three place settings were laid out on the table. "This is where we are gonna be eating dinner. But it's not dinner yet so do you want to see my room?" Mokuba grinned. "Or do you want to see my brother's room?"

"Uh..." Joey blinked in shock. The idea of asking if he wanted to see Kaiba's room, much less his mansion never crossed his mind! "Sure."

"You can show him around all you want, but stay out of my room." Seto ordered.

"Oh…okay. I guess you want to be the one to show him your room." Mokuba said.

Seto just looked at Mokuba for a moment, thinking that sometimes his brother was just a little too perceptive. "Just stay out of my room, okay?" Mokuba nodded. "I'll go see how the turkey is doing."

Joey blinked. He definitely missed something that had passed between the two brothers. Shaking his head, he was about to ask if Kaiba needed any help but the man was already gone. Then again...this was a mansion, probably with several servants. In other words, Kaiba probably didn't need any help. So Joey grinned down at Mokuba. "Lead the way, Kemosabie!"

Grinning brightly, Mokuba dragged Joey down the hallway and up the stairs to his room and begun to show Joey all the toys he had got for Christmas. He talked nonstop, barely letting Joey get a word in edgewise.

Joey had never seen so many toys in his life! Not even in a toy store! Mokuba was pouncing all over the place! "Um...how much sugar did ya get for Christmas, Mokuba?"

"I dunno...a whole bunch. You want some?" Mokuba asked, walking over to a big stocking that was stuffed with sweet treats.

"Sure." Joey blinked as he took a chocolate. "I'm amazed your brother would let ya have that much. Ya are bouncing all over the place kid!"

"But I was a good boy this year so I deserved it." Mokuba grinned. "And besides now that you're here he won't even notice."

Joey froze, the candy partly in his mouth. "Huh?"

"I told Seto I don't believe in Santa but I wrote to him anyway this year because I actually do believe and this year I wanted something my big brother couldn't get me. I wanted a friend for my brother and now you are here so you can be his friend and all that other stuff older people do when they are alone together."

"WHAT!" Joey turned bright red, very grateful that he hadn't eaten his candy yet...otherwise he'd be choking! 'What the hell do I say to that?' He was still coughing though. "I...uh...see. Ya are a very...good little brother, Mokuba. But why do ya...think your bro needs a friend?" Joey asked nervously before stuffing the chocolate in his mouth. 'Especially that kind of friend! Does the kid even know what he's talking about?'

"Cause he hasn't got any friends. Or at least any that are really his friends. Those work friends don't count, they only want his money and aren't real friends. And if my brother has a friend maybe he'll smile more and actually be happy."

"Oh." Just when Joey thought things couldn't get any stranger, they did! He swallowed his candy with a gulp, then smiled nervously at the kid. "Making friends ain't easy kiddo. Both people gotta want it."

"I know Seto wants it even if he didn't say it out loud yet." Mokuba grinned then looked over at the clock. "I think we better go see if Seto needs help with dinner. Besides I am starving so I hope it's ready."

"Sounds good!" Joey quickly got up and followed Mokuba to the kitchen. 'This kid is gonna be the death of me!'

**********

Seto was alone in the kitchen, his hair damp with sweat and the sleeves of his sweater rolled back as he worked at scooping the mashing potatoes into the serving bowl. "Did you two have fun?"

"Yup. I showed Joey all the toys I got for Christmas and shared my candy with him." Mokuba smiled brightly.

"Well I hope neither of your spoiled your appetites." Seto sighed before turning his attention back to the food.

"Not at all. This smells great!" Joey smiled as he looked around the massive kitchen. He was willing to bet this was even bigger than the school's! But what shocked him more was that Seto Kaiba was doing the cooking! 'Why do I get the feeling I'm going to die from a heart attack before this day is over?'

"Everything is just about ready so why don't the two of you do something useful and start carrying some of the food out to the table." Seto suggested.

"Okay." Mokuba grabbed a dish of cranberry relish off the counter.

"And be careful." Seto added as he watched how close Mokuba came to dropping the dish.

"We will." Joey chuckled, quickly taking a heavier dish before Mokuba came back to grab it in his eagerness to help. "This looks delicious!"

"And hopefully looks aren't too deceiving since I spent most the day cooking it." Seto said.

"You're a great cook, big brother." Mokuba said as he rushed back into the room to get another dish.

Joey kept silent as he continued carrying dishes to the table. Kaiba wasn't kidding that there was going to be a lot of food! You could feed three armies with all the grub! And he spent all day cooking it? Did Kaiba do that all the time for Mokuba? Joey still couldn't quite understand why Kaiba was suddenly being so nice to him. Did Mokuba arrange all of this? Joey sighed as his stomach rumbled loudly. Too many questions on an empty stomach.

For the most part, the meal was ate in silence. Mokuba kept trying to ask Joey questions but after being reminded several times to 'not talk with his mouth full' by his big brother Mokuba stopped trying to get a conversation started.

After nearly an hour of eating, everyone had eaten their fill and Mokuba was quick to start talking again. "My brother is such a good cook, isn't he?"

"Y'all get no complaints from me. I can't remember the last time I've tasted anything so good." Joey grinned brightly, his competitive side going into cardiac arrest for giving his greatest rival a complement.

"If you think that was good wait 'til you try some dessert. Or some of those cookies made with Heresy kisses. You like kisses don't you, Joey?" Mokuba smirked slightly.

"Uh...sure Mokuba." Joey smiled nervously before glancing down at his empty plate, chanting 'I will not blush, I will not blush...'. Needless to say, he still blushed. And here he had always thought Seto was the diabolical one of the brothers. "Don't ya like them too, Mokuba?"

"Yup. And so does Seto, don't you big brother?" Mokuba grinned as he glanced over at his big brother.

Seto was barely able to hide his blush. "Yeah, sure. Why don't you…go outside and play in the snow while Joey and I clean up."

"Sure. I'll build a snowman so you two can have some alone time." Mokuba grinned innocently, though the twinkle in his eyes suggested something else entirely. Seto's blush darkened slightly, though only for a moment as he wondered where Mokuba came up with some of these 'ideas.'

Did Kaiba blush? Joey wasn't sure...though he knew his cheeks were red! He quickly got up and picked up some dishes. "Be sure to bundle up, Mokuba. It's cold!"

"I will. You two have fun." Mokuba said before darting off leaving Seto and Joey alone.

"Sorry about all that…you know how younger siblings can be." Seto sighed as he started gathering dishes.

"Ya don't have to say another word." Joey laughed as he carried his load into the kitchen and placing them in the sink. "And by the way, it's your fault cause ya gave him all the sugar!"

"I told him not to eat too much today… but I think his opinion and my opinion of too much are far different." Seto said with a slight chuckle.

"I think that has just been proven." Joey grinned. He still couldn't believe how civil Kaiba was being towards him. "I got a hint with the rollar blades."

"That would be one of many hints." Seto sighed.

They continued to make idle chatter as they cleared the table, put away the leftovers, and put the dirty dishes in the dishwasher. They were just going to go outside and join Mokuba when Seto noticed a piece of mistletoe in the doorway…one that Mokuba must have hung when he wasn't looking. "Do you know you are standing under mistletoe?"

"What? Where?" Joey quickly looked up. Why the hell would Seto have mistletoe in his house over the kitchen doorway?

"Mokuba must have put it there. Though this is the first time I have noticed it." Seto said, a slight grin forming on his face.

'That kid's too smart for his own good.' Joey blinked and stared up at the surely smirking plant. "How the hell did he get it up there?" More importantly, how come Kaiba didn't notice...it was hard getting anything past that guy!

"I am not sure I want to know that. I'm not sure when he put it up either and how neither of us noticed. But you are standing under mistletoe and it is tradition that the person standing under the mistletoe be kissed." Seto stepped closer to Joey and slipped his hand around the back of the blonde's head, weaving his fingers into the soft blonde hair. For a brief moment he looked deep into honey eyes, and nothing besides kissing those lips seemed to matter at that moment. He pulled Joey's face closer to his and captured his lips with a deep and searing kiss.

Honey eyes widened in shock, but only for a moment. Then they slowly closed as Joey leaned in closer, wrapping his arms around the CEO and deepening the kiss even further. He had absolutely no clue what was going on or why Kaiba would want to kiss him again, but Joey really didn't care. The kiss alone made his wildest dreams tamer than a gentle puppy!

The need for air soon became overwhelming and that was the only reason Seto broke the kiss. He stared breathlessly at Joey. Before he could say anything Mokuba suddenly spoke up from behind them.

"About time you two kissed!" Mokuba yelled with a mile-wide-grin on his face.

Joey quickly buried his face against Seto's chest to hide the blush that he knew was covering his entire face! "Why do I have this feeling this was all a set up?"

"Unh-uh. I didn't put the mistletoe there. It was…just meant to be." Mokuba chuckled.

"Mokuba…" Seto sighed.

"What, big brother?" Mokuba asked innocently, though grinning much like the cat that swallowed the canary.

Seto found he couldn't complain about Mokuba having done what he did...he enjoyed the kiss too much to complain. "Go change out of those wet clothes."

Joey stole a glance at Mokuba...the kid was covered with snow! How could one kid get so much snow on him, all by himself? "Ya better do what he says, kiddo. Don't want ya to get sick." Joey smiled slightly, though he couldn't bring himself to look up at Seto. A small part of him was afraid that Kaiba would be smirking, meaning all of this was just a sick joke.

"I always to what my big brother tells me…well most times I do." Mokuba smirked.

Seto rolled his eyes before giving Mokuba a mock stern look. "Just go do it or there'll be no dessert for you."

"I'm going." Mokuba grinned, and with that was gone from the kitchen in a flash.

For a moment there was silence, neither Seto nor Joey moved away from the other. "You're still under the mistletoe." Seto finally whispered.

"Oh. Yeah...kinda forgot about that."

"So I guess that means you are still supposed to be kissed."

'Does that mean he wants to kiss me again?' Joey blinked, blushing even more when he realized he still had his arms around Seto Kaiba! That wasn't supposed to happen, right? You were not supposed to kiss then hug your worst rival. At least that was what the world said. Joey gathered all his courage, loosening his hold to finally look up at his crush. Seto's face was serious, but the trademark smirk wasn't there. Why? Or was he still dreaming? "Is that how it goes?"

"In this case I'd say it's how it goes." Seto wanted to use the mistletoe as an excuse to keep kissing Joey but he also didn't want to keep forcing it upon the blonde. "Is that alright with you?"

Joey smiled slightly. "Only if ya want to do it, Kaiba, and not just cause of the mistletoe."

Seto thought about it for a moment then smiled at Joey. "But the mistletoe is a good excuse to kiss you. And call me Seto."

"All right. I don't understand why ya wanna, but ya don't need that for an excuse." Joey smiled brightly, relaxing muscles that he didn't realize had been tense. Standing on his toes, he leaned up and gently pressed his lips against Seto's.

Seto wrapped an arm around Joey and held him close as he deepened the kiss. He wasn't sure what would become of this Yuletide romance but he hoped that it lead to something more in the coming year.

Even though that kiss broke once again from the need of air, they quickly kissed again ignoring everything around them. Neither noticed when Mokuba came back into the room. The young boy grinned when he saw Joey and his brother kissing before helping himself to a piece of pie. 'At least some Christmas wishes really do come true.' Mokuba thought with a smile before leaving the kitchen to leave Seto and Joey to kiss in privacy.

Owari ^_~ And Merry Christmas!!!!!