Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Servant Yamis ❯ Chapter 30

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Say Yes

Ryou and Bakura knocked on the door to the Game Shop. Bakura rolled a little box around in his pants pocket. This was the day. He was finally going to gather the guts to do what he wanted to do for a long time. He needed to talk to another yami who loved his aibou the way Bakura loved Ryou. Yami and Yugi had never taken this step, even though Yami wanted to. Just like him, Yami was afraid of rejection by his other half.

Yugi opened the door and called to Yami. "Yami! They're here! Come in, guys."

Ryou hugged Yugi and sat beside Joey and Tristan. Marik was eating popcorn with Joey and Tristan. Bakura grabbed Yami by the shoulders when he entered. Ryou watched Bakura pull Yami into the kitchen quickly and desperately. That entire morning, Bakura was acting strange. He wouldn't eat and Ryou heard his footsteps along the long hallway all night. Bakura spent the last day with his eyes gazing out the window- the window where they watched the sunsets.

"Please, yami, please eat something," Ryou pleaded as he brushed his cheek with the back of his hand.

"Not yet. It is not time to eat," Bakura answered cryptically.

Ryou turned to Joey and Yugi. "Have you noticed Bakura is acting a little odd?"

"Please tell me Anzu isn't up to her old tricks."

"No. He's been very distant lately. He hasn't eaten, he hasn't slept, he just sits at our window looking out as if he's looking, waiting for something."

"I've never known Bakura to be distant. A real jerk sometimes, but not distant," Joey said leaning back.

Ryou shrugged. "I just don't know what's wrong with him and he won't tell me."

Meanwhile in the kitchen, Malik and Yami sat with Bakura at the kitchen table, the black box in plain view. Bakura rubbed his temples as the other yamis watched him tremble.

"That was custom made, wasn't it? It's not often you see hieroglyphs on things like that," Marik said admiring the shiny objects.

"Have either of you ever thought of doing this?"

For a moment, Malik felt like this was a Yami Support Group of some kind. It was rare that the yamis could stand each other for two minutes let alone talk about a serious subject.

"I have," Yami stated regally. "I just don't know what my aibou thinks about the topic. If you pluck a fruit too early, there is a chance it could not be ready to eat. I don't want to rush Yugi into anything. We're taking this slowly."

"Do you think I'm rushing this?"

"I don't think so. Ryou is a terrific person and has a great personality. Why wouldn't he be attractive?"

"Do what you feel is right, Bakura. I haven't even thought about this yet with Marik. I've considered it and I know eventually it will come down to this."

Bakura stood up quickly and paced. "What if he rejects me? What if he….still hates me?"

"Ryou doesn't hate you. It's obvious he loves you very much."

Bakura sat down and looked at the box. "I have your full support on this?"

Yugi ran in with an empty bowl of popcorn. "Joey and Marik ate the entire bowl again." Yugi's eyes beheld the golden rings on the table. In black was carved Egyptian hieroglyphs and "Ryou" and "Bakura" carved into the inside of the rings. Yugi put the bowl on the countertop and grabbed the velvet box in shock. "Bakura.…what is this?"

Bakura sat down and took the box in his hands. "They are wedding rings."

Yugi looked up at Yami who smiled at him. Malik crossed his arms and held the Millenium Rod with a grin at Bakura.

"I'm going to ask Ryou………to marry me."

Yugi's jaw almost hit the floor and his eyes grew to the size of saucers. He hugged Bakura. "Congradulations, Bakura! Does Ryou know?"

"Not yet. I'm going to ask him here and now."

"In front of everyone?"

"In front of his friends here, yes."

Yugi smiled at him. "Ryou is going to be so surprised. He's very worried about you, Bakura."

"How so?"

"He says you've been a little distant. Now that I know, I can see why."

Yami and Malik exchanged glances and nodded. "If it makes you happy, that is what's important. And when you need help, Malik and I will always be here for you."

Bakura took a deep breath. "O.K.. I'm ready. It's now or never."

Bakura, Yami, Malik, and Yugi entered the living room. Ryou turned to see Bakura and smiled. Bakura went to Joey. "Get up, Joey. I'm going to sit there."

"Hey, what's the deal? I'm sittin' here."

Yami cleared his throat and glared at Joey. Joey moved quickly out of the way. Yami turned off the television.

"Hey, Yami! I was watchin' that!"

"This is more important."

Bakura took in another deep breath and kneeled in front of Ryou. Ryou sat back as Bakura took his hand gently. Tristan and Joey exchanged looks of confusion.

"Ryou, I know I haven't been perfect. I know that in the past I have been a real bastard. You say you have forgiven me, but I think that is not enough."

Ryou gently brushed Bakura's face with his hand. "Are you feeling alright, yami?"

"I can never make the beatings up to you. I can never take back the wrong I did. But I want to make it up to you by letting you know….that I love you. When I saw you for the first time, I never thought I would ever love another again. I thought it was impossible for me to love again, but you showed me the way with your smile…your patience…your kiss." Bakura stopped waiting for Ryou to brush a tear away. Bakura brought out a slip of paper and read from it bringing out the tiny black box from his pocket. When he saw the box, Ryou immediately caught on….Bakura was proposing. His heart jumped into his throat and he froze.

I love your lips when they're wet with wine

And red with a wild desire;

I love your eyes when the lovelight lies

Lit with a passionate fire.

I love your arms when the warm white flesh

Touches mine in a fond embrace;

I love your hair when the strands enmesh

Your kisses against my face.

So kiss me sweet with your warm wet mouth,

And say with a fervor born of the South

That your body and soul are mine.

Clasp me close in your warm young arms,

While the pale stars shine above,

And we'll live our while young lives away

In the joys of a living love.*

Bakura kissed Ryou's hand and opened the box revealing two gold rings engraved with Egyptian hieroglyphics. Ryou covered his mouth. Yami and Malik saw Ryou almost in a complete sob. Bakura lifted Ryou's ring out of the box. "The glyphs say "Until death do us part. Together forever." That's how we will be, my loved one. Together forever. You are a part of me. I am a part of you. With these rings," Bakura slipped the ring over Ryou's finger and kissed the hand again. "We will be a part of each other for all eternity. Will you marry me, Ryou?"

Ryou suddenly fell forward as if the strings that held him up here snapped. He wrapped his arms around his yami's shoulders and kissed him. Ryou's tears fell in rivers as he kissed his groom-to-be. "I will, yami. I love you, yami. So this is why you've been so distant!"

Ryou pulled back and put the other ring on Bakura's finger. "I love you, yami. I love you. I love you. I love you." Ryou kissed Bakura's neck as both boys began to cry from the immense joy and relief they were feeling knowing their feelings were mutual. Yami and Malik were crying into their hands. Joey looked shocked at the crying yamis.

"I will love you, Bakura….until the end of time." Ryou said putting his forehead on his yami's hair.

Next chappie: Wedding bells for Bakura and Ryou.

*Poem by Ella Wilcox "I love you."