Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Shadow Dragon ❯ Reaper ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I do not own Yugioh or Shadow Hearts in any way shape or form. The only character I own is Cassandra.   Shadow Dragon Chapter Two: Reaper  

Seto Kaiba glared at the computer screen on his desk and he typed, although he really wasn’t paying much attention to what was on the screen itself. Instead his mind was a million miles away thinking about other, more important things.

Like where in the hell that bastard Tucker was for one.

After the emergency crews had managed to get the fires under control he had been forced to answer some idiotic questions that the police started asking. Fortunately for him though, the thugs that Tucker had hired weren’t very smart and had willing cooperated with the police in exchanged for reduced sentences. Yet Tucker had somehow managed to elude the police, disappearing off the face of the earth.

The thugs themselves hadn’t been much help in finding their boss. All they knew was that Tucker was working for someone else. They didn’t know who that someone else was, all they knew was that Tucker’s meetings with him took place in a hotel room. A search had turned up nothing save a very expensive bottle of wine, so with no new leads the detectives had stopped searching enough though Seto had insisted they continued. But the lazy bastards had told him that since it wasn’t a priority at the moment and no one (save the thugs) had been hurt, the saw no reason to continue.

Yanking his mind away from the idiots down at the police department, Seto tried to focus on his work but found his thoughts drifting away again. This time they settled on those thugs that he had beaten. Apparently they had all shared his hallucination and genuinely believed that he had turned into a monster. Seto snorted at the thought. He had known that those idiots didn’t have much in the way of brains but they were apparently supervisions to. Only a real idiot would believe in the claims of magic, past lives and dark forces, things people like Yugi continually babbled on about. What really happened was probably a combination of smoke obscuring their vision, an over active imagination and the alcohol in the goons systems. One had seen something and scared all the others into seeing the same thing. It was a simple as that. A brief image of the reflection in the goons sunglasses surfaced in Seto’s mind, but he shook it way. Instead he tried to focus on a more permanent problem, his eyes/

“If those idiotic quacks were as good as they say then the should have been able to fix this.” He muttered to himself as his hand crept up to touch the corner of the left eye. Despite the reassurances of the best optometrists that money could buy that the change wasn’t anymore than cosmetic, he still wasn’t certain that Tucker hadn’t planned to make sure that he suffered. So far his 20/20 vision was still perfectly safe but he wasn’t going to take any chances for awhile.

Seto supposed that over time he would have gotten use to the random change…but those nutcase doctors had never heard to a persons iris suddenly changing color and tried to make a guinea pig out of him…or at least they had until he had threatened the lot of them with bodily harm if they tried anything involving cell scrapings again. He wasn’t an experiment and he wasn’t going to let a small thing like a color change upset his life! The only reason he had started wearing colored contacts to hide what had happened was because Mokuba had started giving him concerned glances when it became clear that he’s eyes were still red a week or so after their escape. So he had the contacts made. Only his brother could have convinced Seto Kaiba to wear the damn things, and he would only wear them until Mokuba stopped worrying. He would eventually, Seto knew that. After all, it wasn’t as if the his eyes could cause their lives to change, now could they.

^0^0^0^0^0^0^0^0^0^0^0^0^0^0^0^0^0^0^0

Down in the midst of Domino City and blond woman was sitting outside of a café idly stirring a cup of tea.

Why did I come back here? Mai Valentine asked herself as she watched traffic go by. There is absolutely nothing going on in this city. There a million other places I could be, several tournaments I could be in at this moment but instead I’m here, for absolutely no reason at all. She sighed. I guess it’s because this is one of the few places that has pleasant memories for me. And besides… Mai glanced out the window. As long as I’m in Asia there is almost no chance that I’ll run into anyone from home, except maybe Her. The duelist glanced out the window. Even if she did show up in Japan though I don’t think she come to some place like Domino. Kyoto, Tokyo…she’s always been mad about sightseeing. She couldn’t come here.

Mai paid for her meal and the left, glad to have found a parking spot right out front. She headed for her car, deciding that she would head to somewhere else…Australia maybe. According to rumors there was going to be a rather elite tournament going on over there soon.

“Hey! Mai is that you?” The blond duelist whirled around then relaxed when she recognized the voice.

“Joey? What are you doing here?” Mai asked as the blond teenager ran up to here. Behind him where Tristan, Tea, and Yugi. “What are all of you doing here?”

“I was just about to ask ya the same question.” Joey panted. “Ya usually don’t turn up here without a reason. So what’s going on this time, Kaiba throwing another tournament?”

“For your information I’m just passing though. Places like this have no interest for me.” She turned back toward her car. She barely noticed the man walking up the side walk until he spoke.

“There you are Mai.” The soft masculine voice said from her right. Mai felt the blood drain from her face. Joey must have noticed something because she heard him say.

“You alright Mai?” as she turned toward the owner of the voice, a voice she did no want to hear.

“Keith, what in the hell are you doing here?” She snapped. He just smiled.

“So I’m not allowed to see my younger sister anymore? It’s not like I can see you at home you know, you haven’t been back their in years.”

“Wait a minuet here!” Joey yelled. Brother and sister turned toward the blond boy. “Younger sister!?” The teen pointed at Keith disbelief on his face. “Mai, this guy is your brother!?”

“Yes, didn’t Mai tell you?” Keith asked puzzled.

“Look, family didn’t really get discussed that much .” Mai interrupted before anyone could answer. “And I know you didn’t come all this way just to chat Keith. Tell me what you want so I can get out of here.” The older sibling suddenly frowned and looked very serious.

“A family matter Mai and a very grave and private one.” He glanced toward the group of teens. “Can we go somewhere less….public?”

“Hold on! What kinda of things can’t be said in front of Mai’s friends?” Joey asked from behind them

“Joey!” Tea yelled. The brunette clapped a hand over her friends mouth then smiled at the brother and sister. “Please excuse Joey, he’s always been a bit of an idiot.”

Mai ignored the antics of the two and glanced at Keith who caught her eye. The look in his told her that this wasn’t something that just anyone should know about, and had to be taken care of fast. Shaking her head Mai turned toward the parked convertible again.

“Get in the car Keith.” She sighed as she opened the door. He hesitated. “What is it now?” She snapped. Keith sweat dropped.

“Remember what happened the last time I was in a car with you?” He asked. Mai glared at him.

“That was years ago Keith! I’m not going to crash it this time, go get in.” With a slight shiver the elder brother climbed into the car. Mai took off as soon as he was seated, anxious to get away from the curious gazes of her friends.

As soon as they were far enough away from the café Mai spoke up. Speeding down the road was probably the safest place to talk right now. “Tell what’s so important that it dragged you out of Blue Castle?” In answer Keith held out a small glowing stone.

“That’s a warding stone….” Mai whispered as she tried to keep one eye on the rode. Her brother nodded gravely.

“One who’s seal has been broken. Some one has broken the seal we placed around the Harmonixer powers of that boy. You know the reason that Kai asked us to seal them off in the first place Mai, and now that there aren’t sealed anymore he is likely to come looking for him.”

“So what does this have to do with me?” Mai jerked the steering will hard enough to cause Keith to swear and grab the seat reflexively. “I didn’t really have anything to do with placing the seal in the first place. If your so worried then why don’t you warn the kid or something.”

“That’s why I came to you Mai. I can’t get close to him. I know that Reaper is probably still keeping an eye on me, if not mundanely than magically. We’re still not sure if Reaper has actually located Seto yet and if I go to him then I might give him away.”

“So you want me to do it. What don’t you send Hilda or Joachim then? Why me?” Mai turned a conerner.

“Because Hilda helped set the seal and I don’t think Joachim would be taken seriously.” Keith shrugged. “Besides you’re a duelist too, he might listen to you because of that.”

“A duelist?” Mai asked surprised. “Well that makes things easier I guess. What’s his name?”

“He changed his last name now. That’s why I took me longer than I liked to located him. He is now know as Seto Kaiba.” A screech echoed down the street as Mai abruptly slammed on the breaks of her car, nearly causing the driver behind her to crash into her car. The drivers curses were drowned out by Mai scream of “WHAT?” She turned to her brother who had gone as white as a stereotypical movie vampire.

“You mean that Seto Kaiba, the head of the Kaiba corporation is a harmonixer!?” A horn blared from behind her and Mai was forced to start the car again. Slowly Keith managed to unhook his hand from the edge of his seat. Not trusting his voice the vampire nodded then swallowed.

“That’s why I want you warn him Mai. Maybe he’ll listen to you.” A snort came from the drivers seat.

“Look Keith, that arrogant jerk won’t listen to anyone or anything. He’s sure he knows it all and he won’t listen to anyone who tells him other wise.” Mai turned toward a nearby train station. “Besides he doesn’t’ even believe in magic! If getting his soul stolen by ancient Egyptian shadow magic failed to pierce his sheield of denial than I don’t think that anything, even Hilda’s innocent little eyes will.” Mai pulled into the parking space in front of the station. “He’s not going to listen to me Keith. Now got get Hilda or someone he might and good lucky doing that..” Keith climbed out of the car but stood their for a second with one hand on the door.

“Could you at least try to do this Mai? You’re the only one in our family that can, none of us will be able to get close. I know that some of the others who helped create the seal will send their own warnings but I’m not sure they’ll get though. I need you to do this Mai, will you please?” There was an almost pleading note in his voice. Mai winced. Dammit, he knows that’s the only argument I can’t refuse. He knows that was the only reason I couldn’t help with the seal in the first place and the reason no one in the family but my siblings take me seriously.

“I’ll try” She said after a few seconds. “But don’t expect any miracles.” Keith nodded but smiled.

“And Mai, could you please come home everyone once in a while? Everyone misses you, you know.” As her brother vanished amidst the hordes of people on the platform Mai crossed her arms over the steering will and dropped her head on them.

“Miss me? Yeah right.” She whispered as she blinked tears away. Mai had always hated dealing with her family.

^0^0^0^0^0^0^0^0^0^0^0^0^0^0^0^0^0^0^0

In the Kaiba mansion a grandfather clock that had been in the family for generations chimed out five o’clock. Seto, stood up from behind the desk in his home office. He glanced out the window and noticed the clouds that where hanging low and heavy in the sky. It’s going to start raining before long. He grumbled to himself internally. Seto Kaiba hated the rain.

With a soft growl of annoyance at he weather the elder Kaiba stalked out of his office and out of pure habit locked it as he left. For security reasons Seto kept the project he was working on personally in his home office behind plain lock and key with and electronic security system to back it up. No one would get any Kaiba Corp secrets out of his house. Idly wondering what Mokuba was doing at that moment Seto set off down the hall in the direction of his little brothers room. A sudden thump from inside one of the unused rooms in the mansion drew his attention aside, and he turned toward the door that lead to the room scowling. As far as he knew the few servants he had were on the other side of the house from here. Seto grabbed the doorknob and turned it, opening the door to the room in one smooth motion.

“Alright whose in….here?” His voice trailed off as he gazed at the rooms occupants. There was someone sitting in a chair facing the door. Afternoon sunlight poured in through the windows behind the chair leaving the figure in the chair mostly in shadow, but when the person lifted it’s head it’s black hair fell away from its face and Seto could see that it was a man, a man with eyes so light green that they were almost silver. That was the first thing that meet Seto eyes when he entered the room. Then he noticed the small figure laying at the mans feet.

“Mokuba!” Seto threw himself toward the two, hoping to grab Mokuba and get out of here. The man didn’t do anything but Seto slammed into the something that was hard and unyielding. The teenager barely had time to register that he had hit solid air when a force slammed into him and sent him flying backwards to hit the wall next to the door.

“Did you really think it was going to be that easy?” The man commented, deep voice amused. “I would have expected better from the famous Seto Kaiba.”

“Who in the hell are you?” Seto demanded, wincing as he got to his feet. The millionaire could already fell bruises forming.

“I am known as Reaper.” The man stated as he stood up. He studied Seto’s face for a few seconds, then sighed. “But as I suspected, Kai didn’t even bother to tell you about me. Part of the seal he placed on you I suppose.”

“Kai?” Seto shifted to a crouch. “I don’t know anyone called…” Suddenly a name and face from his past flashed up in front of the teenager’s eyes and he froze. “Wait, you don’t mean, you can’t mean….”

“Your birth-father? Of course that who I mean Seto! He is the person you inherited your startling abilities from after all.”

“What do you mean?” Seto growled. Reaper sighed again.

“The transformation abilities that you scared poor Tucker with so much? I know you have to have the difference in your eyes if nothing else! Surely you know what I‘m talking about?”

“You know Tucker!? Where is he hiding!?” Seto shifted so that he was closer to Reaper and his brother. He still wasn’t sure what in the heck it was he had hit last time but he had to maker sure that this time he got through..

“Of course I know Tucker, Seto. I’m the one who sent him to kidnap Mokuba after all.” Reaper gestured toward the boy who was still laying at his feet.

“You bastard!” Seto growled and threw himself toward Reaper, only to repelled once again. This Seto stayed down, the wind knocked out of him by the impact. Reaper tsked at the teenager and then sighed once more.

“I thought you were more intelligent than that Seto, but you are either an idiot or willfully blind.” Reaper sat down once again. “Now I will give you one chance Seto Kaiba. Fuse and I will give you a chance to take your brother back. That is all you have to do for me.”

“Fuse? What in the heck are you talking about!? I’m not a duel monster!”

“I’m not talking about your little card game Seto. As interesting as the Shadow Magic is, I am not interested in it at this time.” Reapers pale eyes meet Seto’s. “However I am interested in your power Seto, the power of a harmonixer. The power that you posses Seto.”

“I don’t know what your blabbering on about” Seto panted as stood up carefully. “But I know your as insane as Pegasus. I don’t have any power.”

“Really?” Reaper arched an eyebrow at the teen. “Then what happened out at that warehouse? You transformed out there and you know it Seto. If you didn’t then you wouldn’t be denying it quite so much.” For a few seconds Seto froze as memories of the fire, a door carved with symbol and the memory of an icy power filled his mind. The millionaire shook his head to dispel the images.

“If you believe those goons that Tucker hired than your even crazier than I thought.” The grin that Reaper flashed in Seto’s direction was a triumphant one.

“But you saw something too, didn’t you Seto? I can see it in your eyes, you know the truth.” Seto swallowed suddenly as a familiar chill entered his mind. It was the same icy feeling he that had felt during the fire. Quickly he drove it do the back of his mind.

“I don ’t care what kind of mumbo jumbo you bark at me, I refuse to believe that I can turn into a dragon!”

“Willfully blind.” Reaper said, almost too himself. Then he stood up, only this time he also reached down and picked up Mokuba, hosing him over his shoulders as if the boy were little more than a sack of potatoes.

“Mokuba!” Seto yelled. “Put him down right now or….”

“Or you’ll what?” Reaper asked blandly. “You are in no position to be making demands Seto.” Reaper reached into a pocket of the long black robes he was wearing then threw something in Seto’s direction. The millionaire ducked instinctively but when nothing hit him, he looked up and saw a dagger imbedded a good foot or so over his head. Impaled upon the dagger was a piece of paper.

“Written on that paper is an address to an abandoned building. I will place your brother in the deepest basement room. And don’t worry Seto, I promise not to harm him.”

“You want me to believe your going to let Mokuba go that easily.” Seto glared at the other man. “What’s the catch?”

“Very good Seto. You just might be a genius after all!” Reaper smiled but it was one of the most malicious things that Seto had ever seen. “I promise not to harm you little brother but the creatures in that house don’t have such scruples. They will be all to glad to have a snack brought to them, I’m sure. I will place a barrier around little Mokuba of course but it won’t last long. I would hurry if I were you, Seto.” A red light had been gathering around the outline of Reaper as he spoke. At the last word the light suddenly seemed to explode outward, temporarily blinding Seto. When the millionaire was finally able to blink the spots from his eyes Reaper and Mokuba were gone. Mutter obscenities under his breath, Seto got to his feet. He reached out and yanked the dagger from the wall, grabbing the piece of paper as he did so. Almost immediately after that the dagger burst into flames. Seto dropped it with another curse, and watched as it was turned to ash almost instantly leaving nothing more than a small burned spot in the carpet.

Seto’s hand clenched around the piece of paper. “You are going to pay for this Reaper.” He said allowed before turning and running out of the room, ignoring his bruises.

 

^0^0^0^0^0^0^0^0^0^0^0^0^0^0^0^0^0^0^0

In Domino City a high school girl was walking home, her bag at her side. Cassandra sighed and swore to herself that she would never ever let Megumi borrow her notes again. This time her friend had managed to loose half of them a day before they had a test. Fortunately for Megumi’s peace of mind the only reason Cassandra had lent her the notes in the first place was because the she was already done again.

As she walked, Cassandra reached up and idly readjusted the glasses that sat over her grey-green eyes, wondering if Grandfather would need any help in the shrine. Technically the teenager didn’t really need to help since her Uncle was the one who stood to inherit the place after Grandfather died, but Cassandra liked going. Reiko had never understood her daughters devotion to a place that the she had always thought was mildly creepy, but Cassandra hadn’t bother to tell her mother the real reasons why she went to the shrine after school most days. Mother wouldn’t have believed her anyway, the gift that had been in her mothers side of the family has skipped over the younger daughter entirely.

Suddenly the sound of breaking glass filled the air and Cassandra froze, wondering where it came from. Around her people continued what they were doing, acting as if they hadn’t heard anything at all. For a few seconds the high schooler was puzzled, but then she realized it was because there hadn’t been any sound at all. She hadn’t ‘heard’ anything break at all, she had felt in her mind so intensely that she had been fooled into thinking it was a physical sound. There were very few things that could cause something like that to happen. However, Cassandra realized after a minuet or so there was something near here that could have cause it. Heart hammering in her chest Cassandra broke into a run and dashed around the corner nearly running down some other kids from her school. After a few blocks the young woman slowed down and she leaned over panting as she tried to get her breath back. In front of her was a old broken down mansion that was at least seventy years old.

Numerous attempts had been made to demolish it but they had all failed. Sometimes it was because of the creatures that lived inside and sometimes it was stopped by people like her, the ones who knew what would happen if all the malice that was sleeping that building was suddenly released by its destruction.

All that flashed though Cassandra’s mind and was then pushed away. History was not important right now, but what was important was that the barrier her grandfather had constructed, the barrier that was suppose to keep people out of the building, was gone. Shattered, as if it had never been there in the first place. Cassandra gazed up at the building. With no barrier anymore there was nothing to keep people from wandering in and getting killed by the malice creatures that had made this place their home. For a second the high schooler paused, then she stepped toward the gates. Although the two halves of the gate where held together by a chain, it was loose and the left half didn’t close right. If you ducked under the chain there was just enough room to squeeze though into the yard. Cassandra ducked through he opening then stood up, looking around to see if there was any signs that someone had wandered in here. The tall grass that surrounded the gate hadn’t been disturbed in anyway, and it looked as if Cassandra was the only one who had been here recently. The young woman gave a relived sigh then ducked back through the gates. Since no one was in any immediate danger she would go home and change out of her school uniform then go and tell Grandfather what had happened.

 

Less than fifteen minuets later, wearing blue jeans and green turtle-neck that she had grabbed out of her closet, Cassandra finished telling her story. Her grandfather rubbed his temples then sighed.

“Are your sure you felt it shatter, Cassy?” The young woman nodded and the old man shook his head. “I was afraid that was what it was. If the barrier had faded away or simple failed….it wouldn’t’ have been to surprised. That barrier was old, I placed it there many years ago. But for it to shatter…..it could just be that the currents of the magic that supported it were twisted somehow, but I doubt that….” Feel very old indeed the priest stood up. “But whatever happened we have to recast that barrier. If we don’t then someone will get hurt.”

“But what if it was shattered it on purpose Father?” Uncle Koji spoke up. “We have to make sure that there is nothing there.”

“Good point.” Grandfather nodded. “But I’ll need you here helping me with the preparations….” The old mans eyes fell on his granddaughter. “Cassy?”

“Yes?”

“I want you go check inside of the old mansion.”

“You can’t be serious!” Koji jumped up. “She’s still a child you can’t mean for her to….” Grandfather held up his hand.

“I do mean for her too.” He looked down at his granddaughter. “Cassandra, this is what I have been training you to do. I don’t think that there is anything in that house that will be that much of a threat to you, but still be careful. You followed both your Uncle and I on various requests, you know who serious this could be, so be very careful.”

“I will.” Cassandra promised. Her Grandfather smiled at her.

“But one more thing Cassandra. Do not go any deeper into that place than you have to. If you do not find anything on the first floor then do not go any further, come back and tell us instead. The same goes if you find out who or what shattered the barrier. Do not try to fight them, instead leave as quickly as possible and come back here.” He kneeled down to look her in the eye. “Do I make myself clear, Cassandra?”

“Yes Grandfather. I’ll be careful.” Her Grandfather smiled at her. “Good, now go get ready.”

*****

Later, Cassandra once again stood in front of the old mansion, a trill of pride running through her. She had never been allowed to work on her own before and she was determined to make her grandfather proud. After check to maker sure the braid that she had twisted her hair into was secure, ducked through the gate, pulling her weapon, a naginata behind her. Cassandra straightened up then froze. Someone else had already been to the mansion. A trail of broken grass lead up to the front door, then turned and lead away, disappearing round the back of the house. Suddenly a the sound of breaking wood came from that direction and Cassandra kicked into a run, fighting against the long grass.

“I hope I’m not too late.” She muttered.

^0^0^0^0^0^0^0^0^0^0^0^0^0^0^0^0^0^0^0

Seto blink as his eyes readjusted to the dark interior of the old mansion. Most of the windows where boarded up, so very little light reached the inside hallway he now found himself standing in.

It had been rather easy to find the mansion, it was one of the oldest and largest buildings in this area. Once he had seen the building itself Seto had realized what that lunatic calling himself Reaper was up too. He probably thinks I’ll loose my nerves because of the haunted house. Seto snorted. Idiot. I’m not scared of ghost stories.

He had started to go in the front door then realized that was probably what Reaper had been expecting him to do. Probably has traps set up on the other side to try and scare me. So instead of going in that way, Seto had went round to the back until he found another door and kicked that one in.

Now he found himself standing in a dusty hallway that had broken furniture littered along it.

“Very scary Reaper. Did you really think I’m going to back down because you threw me into a b-moive haunted house?” He said out loud as he walked down the corridor. “I am going to find my brother and then I will find you and make you pay.”

A sudden sound from behind one of the pieces of furniture and Seto stopped, shit his weight back into a fighting stance. “Whose there?” He yelled.

A little girl peeked out from behind the tangle of table and chairs. All Seto could see was her upper body but she was wearing a torn red kimono, and long ragged black framed red eyes and sickly green skin.

“Is this all you are Reaper” Seto snorted. “A lunatic who likes to dress kids up as ghosts and scare people? I’m not impressed.” He took a step toward the girl, and she opened her mouth to revel pointed fangs. She let loose and pricing shrieked and launched her self towards Seto. He reacted before he even though about it, lashing out with his fist and hit the girl hard enough to knock her out the air. The pang of guilt he felt at first, he hadn’t wanted to hit a little girl, was wiped away when he good a good look at her. From the waist down she looked normal but her lower half wasn’t human. It looked more like a coiled lump of flesh the same sickly green as the skin on her face and hands. Seto froze and the monster launched herself at him again. This time shock caused Seto to react slower than he had before and he barely had time to block. The monster had been aiming for his throat. It hit his arm instead and immediately sank shaft fangs into it.

Seto yelled in pain and slammed the monster into the wall. She let go of his arm with a shriek and dropped to the floor. He kicked her away from him and into the tangle furniture she had came out from. The creatures wailed and collapsed into a small puddle of slime. Seto barely had time register this as two more of the monsters emerged from the tangle. They screamed and launched themselves at him. This time Seto was more prepared. He managed to knock one on to the floor and kick it against the wall where it collapsed into a puddle as well. The other one he dodged but it managed to give a swipe as it went passed him, leaving along bloody scratch to his face. He whirled around and kicked it as it landed, then when it lunged at him again, backhanded it into a wall. The creature now joined the other two puddles on the floor.

For a few seconds after the battle was over, Seto stayed in a ready stance, unable to move. Then slowly he straitened, eyes darting around as he took stock of his injuries. He was fine aside from the bite on his arm and the scratch on his cheek. Seto looked down at the puddles, rapidly shrinking as they evaporated. The millionaire was almost tempted to believe this was a dream….but you the bite and scratch were starting to sting.

“What in the hell is going on here!?” He demeaned out loud. No one answered. Seto stood and watched as the puddles shrank wonder what in the heck they where. After a few minuets he shook himself mentally. Reaper had said he was going to leave Mokuba in the basement of the. Alone, with no defense against those….whatever they where. Seto growled. He could figure out exactly what these monsters where later. Right now he had to find his brother.

Once again Seto started down the corridor but he had only gone a few strides when something sharp bit into his ankle and he tripped. Seto caught himself before his face hit he floor and he turned around shifting into a crouch. Staring back at him was a snake…a snake with the head of a beautiful woman. Seto shivered in disgust. The snake licked her lips with a forked tongue then launched herself at him. Seto tensed and prepared to dodge….just as blade split the naga in two. Seto froze looked up at the person who was holding the naginata. It was a girl around his own age.

The two stared a each other for a few seconds, then the girl pointed her weapon at him.

“What are you doing here?” She demanded.

 

^0^0^0^0^0^0^0^0^0^0^0^0^0^0^0^0^0^0^0

Authors Notes: This took longer to get out than I had planned but the new Shadow Hearts came out and I had to play that. Then Kingdom Hearts II came out and I got my hands on that….anyway chapter two is now up. When I was rereading this I noticed that poor Yugi didn’t get to say anything! But since this fic is mostly about Seto Kaiba and Yugi is the star of the series….it all evens out.

Mai is finally in the fic and she is the one who gave he the idea for this fic in the first place. When I first got Shadow Hearts II I noticed that Mai’s last name in English is Valentine and she’s blond. Both Joachim and Keith are blond and they have the last name Valentine as well. I though that was strange coincidence, and then I found out that Joachim had sister, one that wasn‘t named in the second game! I decided that Mai was Joachim sister. While I was ponder that fact somehow the idea that Kaiba could be a harmonixer popped into my head.

Of course then Hilda showed up in the third game and I had to rewrite some of the plot to include her. And I am still support my Harmonixers-have-red-eyes-and-brown-hair theory by say thing all Harmonixers from Japan have red eyes and are brunette.

 

Oh and thanks to LynnGryphon for reviewing. I’m glad you like the concept.