Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Shadow Dreaming ❯ Shadow Dreaming ( One-Shot )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Shadow Dreaming

By Skyblaze Silverheart

Disclaimer: I don't own Yu-Gi-Oh! Or related characters. I am a poor student, so suing me would be sort of pointless, as all I have is my PC and my Game Boy Advance.

----

My light, my heart…would that you could truly see me, know me.

My aibou, my hikari…

Names that I called you in secret while you were still only barely aware of my presence.

I knew you. I could feel your pain, see your loneliness, and it broke my heart. I wanted to take you in my arms and shield you from all that would threaten you. But I couldn't. I could only watch while my heart cracked into a thousand pieces every time I felt you take a blow, or hear the sharp, stinging words of the bullies.

But you are stronger than anyone can know. Your strength is in your compassion, your hope, your innocence. That strength is what draws me to you like a moth to a flame.

That innocence shines in your eyes like a beacon, and I curse those who refuse to see it.

I fear that one day your innocence will be lost, I do not want that. It is one of the things that makes you so beautiful in my eyes.

You freed me.

Those words are simple, but the emotion behind them isn't. You were the only one who could. Only one destined to be my light had the power to free me from that damnable puzzle. You are the other half of me…oh, how I wish I could tell you so.

The pain of my confinement was intense, it never faded once in 5,000 years until the day you first touched that puzzle.

I am Yami. The darkness, the shadow cast by your light. I need you. I need you to keep me on the straight and narrow, to help me remember what it is to be human. Because believe me, the Shadow Realm can change you, making you both more and less than human. My hikari, remind me what compassion is, for I have forgotten.

And now you are in pain. Because of me. Because of my desire not to lose…no matter the cost. That driving desire almost cost Kaiba his life…it almost cost me my heart.

I can hear you crying in your sleep. I can hear it through the door that separates our soul rooms. I wish I could go to comfort you, to stroke your hair and promise never to hurt you again. But I cannot reach you, because your fear and hurt has blocked the door between us.

So here I sit. My knees drawn up to my chest as I slump against the soul door. Every one of your sobs tearing great holes in my soul. I would give anything to hold you in my arms and make the pain you are feeling go away.

You stopped me, my light, is that not enough? Can you not trust yourself as I trust you?

I reach up to lay a hand on the locked door between us.

"Please, Yugi, don't lock me out…I need you."

I hang my head when there is no reply. I have only one thing left to say.

"I love you."

"….."

Strange, I could have sworn I heard him say it back.

The End