Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Silenced Legacy ❯ First Day ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Episode #3- First Day

Monday morning spawned over Domino Town as the sun filtered through my second-story window and into my face. My vision blurred as I groaned to wake up, my digital clock read 5:00 am. I had to get up even if my alarm didn't go off until the minute after. The bed sat in its corner next my nightstand holding a small fan and a CD/radio player. An antique dresser took another corner in between the nightstand and the closet. An old computer occupied the final corner at the foot of my bed. I only took one step when the alarm went off.

Deet! Deet! Deet! Deet! De-

I stopped the alarm in mid beep by the switch. My hand was still on the clock and I looked to the mirror that sat beside the door, the necklace still hung by its thin chain; a simple little sword pendant necklace that some guy called the "Millennium Sword." Tif, who'd believe that my necklace could be the key to save the world? None of that mattered for the time being. What mattered was my lack of sleep.

I still needed a good ten minutes but I left my room anyway. In my nylon pajamas, I slink down the hallway to the stairs in uneven steps, trying to keep myself conscious. I slipped down the stairs by the railing and slumped on the couch.

The living room was halfway decent except my half-sister always left her backpack and her junk in front of the stereo box next to the entertainment center. I was half-asleep but found my way to the kitchen and made the usual instant breakfast of an energy drink. I needed to go to school in less than an hour and a half.

After feeling the charge of the energy drink kicking in, I slipped into my uniform- a blue skirt with a yellow shirt and a pink jacket. 'Ick. I'm better off wearing the boys' uniform. I hate skirts.' I grumbled and finished organizing myself. I came into my room again and appeared in the mirror. Emerald eyes aligned with dark, crimson-red streaks running on the front of my hair and backed up with brown shoulder-length hair. I tied it back into a point-tail and I snatched up the necklace from the mirror's hook, rushed down the stairs and out the door.

I sprinted down the sidewalk until I backed a couple of students, three guys and a girl wearing the school uniform. They stood in front of a game shop and began to go for the school. My pace slowed to a trot and came behind them until we got to the school, Domino High. I still followed them to the classroom; fortunately we were in the same class. Now I could get a good look at what they looked like. One of the guys was short in stature compared to the others. Dark hair pushing out blonde bangs and violet eyes. He also wore-somewhat of-a pyramid on a think chain.

Another one of them had completely blonde hair and serious brown eyes, though he blushed easily when he lost at Duel Monsters, and the last guy had brown hair that pointed out in front of him. Finally the girl with them had brown, shoulder-length hair and blue eyes.

They all seemed good friends with each other as the girl looked from her crowd to me with confused eyes. "Hey, you must be the new student they told us about last week." She said, "Well, come over here." She beckoned and I followed with a sigh. "My name's Tea. What's yours?"

"Miranda Guinaldo, I hope I'm not interrupting anything." I replied with a nervous grin.

"Not at all Miranda. You play Duel Monsters?" Tea asked, "We're watching Joey and Yugi go at it again." I looked over her shoulder and two of the boys were playing Duel Monsters. It was quite a sight to see the smaller one win.

"I can't believe it!" Joey called out, "I placed second in the Duelist Kingdom Tournament and I still can't beat you."

"Oh come on now Joey, it turns out that the new girl plays, too." Tea pointed out, "Try Dueling her."

"Sure Tea, I mean I'm not going to go easy on her, being a girl and all." Joey's mood changed until he gloated. A small vein popped out of my head.

"OK, I'll take you on." I smiled and took Yugi's seat. I pulled out my Deck and shuffled. "I think I'll go first. One card faced down and one monster in defense mode."

"That's pretty much always an opening move for rookies like you. I'll play Panther Warrior in attack mode and play Scapegoat, too. And by sacrificing one of them, my Panther Warrior can attack." Joey briefly explained as I flipped over my Mystical Elf in response. Soon the teacher came into the classroom and we gather ourselves and sat down. I just took an empty desk.

"Oh?" the male teacher questioned and looked to me, "It appears our new student already found her classroom. Everyone, this is Miranda Gui-... Gi-" he stuttered at my last name.

"Guinaldo." I corrected, "It takes a while for someone to get my last name right. I don't take it as offense though."

"Well, let's get started, shall we?" he replied.

* *

Right after school, I treaded out the doors alone with students pouring out of the building. I got shoved aside and bumped into another student. I grunted as I recovered. I looked up and saw dark blue eyes glaring back like I was an inferior.

"Who are you?" He coldly demanded. I shuddered in the sound of his snaked voice but got back to my feet.

"The name's Miranda Guinaldo. I'm new here. Sorry if I bumped into you." I replied but he cut me off.

"Sorry, nothing. You think just because you're new means you can do what you want." He barked, "I'm Seto Kaiba, head of Kaiba Corp." Seto still kept his glare, almost unaffected against my thoughts of his disrespect.

"The least you could do is acknowledged my apology." I argued back. I huffed and stormed off. Thought I could feel his stare at me.

I shook it off and saw Yugi and Joey on some of the bars. Tea and Tristan popped up with them and I followed last.

"Miranda." Yugi called out; "We're just about to go to my grandpa's game shop. Want to come?"

"Sure." I replied and walked with them. During our walk, I started to get the feeling again, from Yugi. Impossible, what in the world could Yugi have that could kick up my senses?

"We just saw you talk to Kaiba. He seemed pretty ticked." Joey commented.

"All I did was bump into the guy. What was his problem?" I asked defensively.

"Kaiba's not exactly your one-man welcome wagon." Tristan replied, "He's thinks he's better than any other Duelist. I suggest you stay away from that creep." The two comforted me slightly, but still, my 'sixth sense' was acting up on me.

"Hey Miranda?" Yugi questioned and started walking backwards, "What's wrong?" I took a quick gasp out of my thoughts.

"It's nothing, honest." I rejected. Yugi just shrugged shoulders and walked forward again. We stopped at the game shop that I passed on our way to school.

"Well, we're here." Yugi announced and everyone followed him in with me behind.

"Oh ho Yugi, I wouldn't have expected you for another half hour, and I see you've brought someone else with you." An elder called out. An old man about the same height as Yugi was standing on a stepladder and was loading some boxes.

"Grandpa, be careful!" Yugi warned.

"Yugi, still worrying about your old man I see." He grinned but his foot slipped. The box he had flew out of his hands. Joey and Tristan went for Yugi's grandpa but no one went for the boxes. Soon my reflexes went out and I slid for the boxes. Two boxes in both hands and I stopped short of the cash register.

"Mr. Motou, you should be more careful." Tristan advised as he and Joey helped him up. Tea and Yugi helped me up with the boxes and Joey put them up for Mr. Motou.

"Grandpa, are you all right?" Yugi panicked slightly.

"All right? Yes I am, so are the games. Who is your new friend Yugi?"

"Oh, she's Miranda. She's new here and just started school." Yugi introduced.

"I see, well thank you Miranda." Said Mr. Motou, "Hey, I thought I saw you on your way to school this morning."

"It's all right." I smiled. Everyone settled down and my senses grew strong again, "Yugi, can I ask you something?" Tea, Joey, and Tristan were looking at the games so they didn't catch that.

"Sure, what is it Miranda?" Yugi replied with the same concern.

"I'm not one to confess this but I can see, or at the least feel, ghosts." I admitted slightly. Yugi had a shocked expression, and then held the gold pyramid in his hands.

"If I know where this is going, you might have felt the presence of the spirit of the Millennium Puzzle." Yugi clued in, "But how, or were you born with this?"

"I was brought like this, but it only became twice as strong when I got this." I followed and showed him the Millennium Sword, "It's the Millennium Sword, so what an Egyptian in a turban said. You have a spirit in your Puzzle?"

"It's kinda hard to explain but in my Puzzle, there's a spirit of an Egyptian Pharaoh." Yugi began, "To make a long story short, my grandpa found this in Egypt and dared me to solve it. After that, my Dueling was never the same, as if I had someone else coaching me through it. Has your Millennium Item given you something?"

"Other than my 'sixth sense' getting stronger, so have my reflexes. Without the Sword, I could have never caught those boxes back there. But I, too, have a feeling of someone standing there with me." I sided.

"I guess it's safe to say I have another friend, especially one who has a Millennium Item." Yugi commented.

"What do you mean? The other Millennium Keepers aren't nice to you?" I questioned and raised an eyebrow.

"Most of them aren't." Yugi answered, "Bakura, he goes to Domino, too, but his Millennium Ring has a spirit that want my Puzzle as well as all the other Items. Then there was Pegasus, Keeper of the Millennium Eye. I defeated him in Duelist Kingdom but somehow fell ill after that, Pegasus did. After that was Shadi, the one who has the Millennium Key. I can't really describe him but he said I was the Chosen One with the gift of the Pharaoh. Do you know anyone else that holds a Millennium Item?"

"Other than the Shadi character you mentioned." I hesitated to answer as my mind wondered again. But now Yugi knew the presence of the spirit and my senses simmered down, "I've met the head of the archeological team, Ishizu Ishtar, when I first came here. She holds the Millennium Necklace and is about as mysterious as Shadi. However, we've only mentioned six Items."

"There should be one more." Yugi trailed off, "Puzzle, Eye, Necklace, Ring, Key, Sword..."

"There's two more." I corrected.

"What do you mean; I've only heard of seven Millennium Items." Yugi snapped.

"To make a legend a caption, Shadi had the Millennium Balance. A thief tried to take it and tripped somewhere. The Balance broke into two other Millennium Items and separated, I have the Millennium Sword, but I have no clue who has the Shield or whatever it might be." I explained.

"Well, we still need to know one more Item." Yugi pointed out. Soon it grew dark and we all left. Motou came back in with some mail.

"Yugi, there's something here for you." He called out and Yugi went straight for the envelope Motou handed him.

"It's an invitation to Battle City." Yugi gasped and rushed upstairs to his room. He closed the door behind him and to his eyes; a faint image of himself appeared sitting on his bed, though the ghost looked older than he did. The spirit looked to Yugi with the same expression.

"What's the matter?" the spirit spoke, "You look like you've seen another ghost."

"I think I did, Yami." Yugi confessed with the invitation clutched in his hand, "I'm sure you heard everything."

"You mean another Millennium Item?" Yami questioned, "Yeah, and it is possible that that particular Item holds a key to unlock some of my past. On top of that, I still think we need to question her a bit further. She knows about her Millennium Item, but does she know what lies in it?"

"Yami, you're speaking in riddles," Yugi brought up, "but I don't think we should pester Miranda into telling us anything else of her Millennium Item. Besides, we have something else to worry about."

_________

After my first day, I walked home by myself. Though it was great meeting new friends, Tea, Yugi, Joey and Tristan. Not to mention Yugi has a Millennium Item, too. I got back home and an envelope was slipped in the crack of the door. I pulled it out and it was addressed to me. "Already?" I wondered. I went inside and walked up to my room. Mom and Dad were both at work and my sister doesn't come home for another hour. I closed the door and leaned against it, opening the mail. It was an invitation to a Duelist Tournament, Battle City. There would be a brief meeting tonight at the Clock Tower Plaza.

I took my eyes off of the message and stood up, my Deck laid on my nightstand with everything I could hold under my belief. Dragon, that is my sign of the Chinese Zodiac. I grabbed my deck and flipped through it. All of the Dragons I could afford- Spear Dragon, The Dragon Dwelling in the Cave, Curse of Dragon, Meteor Dragon, Red-Eyes Black Dragon, and among my rarest, Meteor Black Dragon- were all stacked with Magic and Trap cards spellbound in the oath of the Dragon.

Soon my 'sixth sense' grew strong again and it emitted from my Millennium Sword. In the mirror was the one who caused it, the spirit within the Sword.

"I've heard." she spoke. I wasn't too surprised that she'd appear when I came home.

"I know." I replied with the same expression, "If this is where I think this is going, the spirit of the Puzzle is going to need more help than I thought."

"In a matter of fact, isn't Marik after the Millennium Puzzle as well?" the ghost asked me.

"With my Millennium Item at the top of the chart." I concluded, "Ishizu gave Seto Kaiba, whoever he is, a God Card known as Obelisk the Tormentor. And from what I've last figured, Marik has The Winged Dragon of Ra and Slifer the Sky Dragon."

"So why didn't you mention Marik to Yugi?"

"He'll freak if I said I was once Marik's mind slave." I argued, "But I just know I'll meet him and his Rare Hunters in Battle City."

"Tailing you everywhere you go." the ghost started.

"Tossing every Rare Hunter every chance he gets." I followed.

"Until finally he's fed up and goes after you himself."

"And then send me to the Shadow Realm to fight our last bout. Dang, is this guy everywhere?" I finished. The image in the mirror just shrugged her shoulders, "Sometimes Yami MG, I doubt you know much about your past."

"At least I know I'm a master swordsman." She argued.

"Of what styles again?"

"The Hiten-Mesurugi and Kiempo." Yami MG answered, "But as I last recall, I helped the Pharaoh maintain his rule in the past."

"That doesn't mean you can help Marik with his rule of the universe now." I stated. Yami MG just huffed.

"Well, at least let me meet this spirit of the Puzzle." Yami MG pouted, "It'll be no fair that you already met his host."

"Fine, I'll get dressed, and then when we're out the door, you can come out." I sighed.

"Deal." Yami MG smiled, "Don't forget I'll need a sword holster."

"Why?"

"Because when I come out, the Sword will be at its full length." Yami MG answered and her image vanished in the mirror. After the conversation, I pulled out of my uniform and into a black, thin turtleneck shirt with black, boot-cut stretch pants and tennis shoes. To finish I put on my belt that had my Deck box and a sword holster. I slipped the cards in and treaded out the door with a note and number of my cell.

__________

I got to at least past the game shop when I slipped into an alley. I sighed as I saw Mr. Motou walk out to sweep. "All right Yami MG, it's your turn." I breathed and the Sword pendant glowed brilliantly. I could feel Yami MG take my body to her own being. The light dimmed and we switched minds to the outer and inner limits.

"Now, where is the plaza where we're supposed to meet?" Yami MG asked to herself as she slipped the Sword in the holster.

'You know I could have led you to the plaza and we'd switch in the restroom.' I grumbled in mind, 'Just keep going straight, you'll see it.' Yami MG led herself down the sidewalk until she made it to an area where a whole bunch of people was waiting for something. 'There, there's Yugi, or his spirit at least.'

"Doesn't look short enough for Yugi." Yami MG poked fun.

'Yami MG.' I growled in mind. Yami MG made her way to Yami Yugi and Tea.

"Hey." Yami MG called. Yami Yugi and Tea looked confused to her.

"Do I know you?" Tea questioned, "You look familiar except the waist-length hair."

"I know you Tea." MG looked to Yami Yugi and he nodded, "To be honest I have a Millennium Item." She admitted and showed them the Sword. Yami MG didn't expect Yami Yugi to be shocked as well.

"If that's the Millennium Sword from before, then how come it's larger?" Yami asked.

"Actually Yami, I've been waiting to meet you. I'm the spirit of the Sword, a master swordsman." Yami MG bragged.

'Give me a break.' I grumbled mentally.

"So you got an invitation?" Yami asked, "I mean, Miranda got an invitation."

"Isn't she Miranda from school?" Tea still looked questionable. "Of course, she's just in the same scenario as Yugi and me." Yami replied.

"It appears so, but I don't see how anyone could know me to a tournament this quickly." Yami MG questioned. Then someone else ran up, a woman about Yami's age with blonde, waist-length hair trailing everywhere, violet eyes, and a purple skirt, boots and jacket.

"Hey Yugi!" She called. Yami turned around and his face lit up.

"Mai!" Yami called back, "So you're invited, too?"

"Yeap," she replied then looked to MG, "and who's the Goth?" Yami MG's fist clenched tightly.

"This is Miranda, a new Duelist here. But Mai, do you have any idea who's throwing this tournament?" Yami asked.

"Not a clue. Everyone I've talked to got an anonymous invitation." Mai answered, "But whoever it is, it's safe to say not Pegasus."

"Speaking of Pegasus, this is starting to look like Duelist Kingdom all over again." Yami Yugi commented and looked into the crowd.

"You can say that again." Mai agreed, "There are plenty of familiar faces and some of which I'm not too happy about." Tea and Yami MG looked confuse until Tea found some of them.

"You're right." Tea popped in and groaned, "There are Rex Raptor and Weevil Underwood."

"And over there is Esper Roba. They say he uses telepathy to Duel." Mai looked to a uniform boy with light hair to his ears.

"And Mako Tsunami, too." Tea pointed out to a muscular male eating fish on a stone bench, "I don't know Miranda; you're going to have some serious competition."

"And about who's throwing this tournament, there's a buzz going around that he has a lot of money and an obnoxious attitude. My guess is Kaiba." Mai clued.

"Kaiba!" Yami Yugi repeated and thought to himself; 'If what Ishizu says is true, I'll have to face Kaiba again to find my destiny. I have to win this tournament.' Soon the screens on the buildings flashed out of their adverts and to Kaiba's face.

"That's Kaiba?" Yami MG questioned.

`The one with Obelisk. Teeerific.' I rolled my eyes.

"Greetings Duelists, and welcome to the announcements of my new tournament." The loudspeakers boomed.

"I don't know what's bigger, his ego or the melon on the screen." Mai joked.

"As you may have already, each of you received an invitation to the Battle City Duelist Tournament. As for the rules, I'll explain the basics. First off, each of you will receive this, my new version of the Duel Disc to use in the tournament. Also another new rule is that each player will rally up their rarest card and the loser forfeits their card to the winner as well as their locator card. Six locator cards are needed to qualify for the Finals."

"So that means just losing one Duel could ruin my entire Deck." Mai shuddered.

"My Battle City Tournament will make Pegasus's Duelist Kingdom look like a joke!" Kaiba ended his explanation and the other Duelists cheered except for the four of us. Then a chopper hovered in over the plaza with Kaiba in the railings, "Duelists, exactly one week from today will my Tournament begin, and this time, this is an all-out war! And I'm looking forward to fight at least one of you."

"Kaiba." Yami Yugi exclaimed in determination.

To be continued...