Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Silenced Legacy ❯ Shadow Prisoner: Miranda's Break, Part 3 ( Chapter 9 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Episode #9- Shadow Prisoner, Part 3

Yami Yugi looks for opposition for his final locator card down the boardwalk around the main tournament grounds. Yugi was still concealed in the Millennium Puzzle has they approached another turn. Yami Yugi took the turn and bumped into another Duelist.

"Ugh, my apologies." Yami Yugi recovered.

"No big, I wasn't watching either..." MG trailed off, "Hey, fancy meeting you here Yugi." Her face lit up.

"MG. Thank goodness." Yami Yugi greeted, "So did you gain your remaining locator cards?"

"I still need one more then I'm in." MG replied. Yami Yugi showed his five and decided to walk with her.

"So any word on Miranda?" Yami Yugi queried.

"Please don't remind me." MG dropped her attitude. She still had the Millennium Sword in full length and secured in the dragon-stitched holster her partner made, "There's only little under an hour before the tournament makes its Finals announcement. We better find some competition and fast." MG threw her hands behind her head, revealing the Duel Disc.

"If you want competition, try Dueling us. I am Lumis." A voice cackled. MG glanced behind her and a hooded man stood behind her. Short in stature, he wore a white mask on the right side of his face.

"And you'll accept, if you know what's good for Miranda. My name is Umbra." Another Rare Hunter came forth, one with a red and black mask on the left side.

"Miranda?" MG and Yami Yugi repeated in unison.

"Marik agreed to free Miranda when he got the incantation." MG argued and drew her blade, "So why does Marik continue to doggedly tail us?"

"The rivalry between Marik and Miranda is none of your concern." Umbra stated.

"However, Marik's vengeance with you two is not over for the time being." Lumis finished him, "Accept our Duel, or never see Miranda again."

"Don't ever say that to me." MG growled and slow anger burned inside her. MG's grip tightened on the Sword but Yami Yugi called the Duel for the both of them.

"We agree to your Duel, Rare Hunters." He stated and MG withdrew her Sword.

"Very well, meet us at the top of that building in fifteen minutes to proceed with our Duel." Lumis declared and they both leaped away. MG looked to the skyscraper that Lumis pointed out.

"You know, I've never been much for heights. But risks of heights is worth Miranda's safety." MG nodded and both of them took to the building.

Yami Yugi and MG finally reached the top, Lumis and Umbra waited for them on a large window-both with devilish grins, what was visible of their grins to say the least.

"So you two decided to show up, I was starting to get sunburn." Lumis joked.

"Can it, Shorty!" MG shouted, "I'm just here to ensure Miranda's sound return. Let's get on with the Duel!"

"First we'll probably explain a few things, like why we're Dueling on a sheet of glass." Lumis held suspense, "It's quite simple really, and behind you is a Shadow Box that displays your Life Points throughout the Duel. We have Shadow Boxes as well. Now here's how the Shadow Boxes work, also a simple answer."

"It may look like a fall of fifty stories, but the glass below us is a barrier between this world and the Shadow Realm." Umbra continued the conditions, "The Shadow Boxes displays your Life Points but once it drops to zero the glass below will shatter and you'll plummet to the Shadow Realm."

"Alright, I didn't come here for a lesson in physics and theoretical possibilities." MG got ticked from their rambling, "Let's begin this Duel already!"

"Very well, this will be a tag-team Duel, two against two." Umbra started another explanation. MG huffed as another speech was abound, "Each Duelist will alternate their turns accordingly. Once each Duelist has drawn from their Decks, then the Duel will begin." Umbra continued, "Any questions?" Yami Yugi and MG stood silently. "Good, let's begin. I'll make the first move and I summon the Shining Abyss in attack mode and end my turn." Umbra began the Duel with a monster that looked like it could produce intense light.

"I'll move now, and I summon Beta, the Magnet Warrior in attack mode." Yami Yugi took his turn next as his Magnet Warrior appeared, "I also lay two cards faced down and end my turn."

"My turn now," Lumis came next, "and this turn I play Mask of Brutality on our Shining Abyss."

'Great, another magic card I have no knowledge of.' MG thought in panic and shifted her eyes to the Millennium Sword, hoping for the energy signature would return.

"The Mask of Brutality magic card will increase my monster's attack power by 1000, making Shining Abyss's attack power now at 2600." Lumis briefed, "But also, in order to keep this magic card on the field, we each have to give up 1000 of our Life Points for each turn."

"This is why I play this magic card as well; the Masked Doll." Umbra cutoff, "This will cease the negative effect of the Mask of Brutality. It's your move Swordsman." MG looked to Yami Yugi, he nodded and MG made her play.

"Well, that doesn't exactly make a fashion statement, but have it your way." MG joked, "I play a monster in defense mode and two trap cards." MG stated and three cards appeared in front of her. The first round of the turns was over and MG often looked to the Sword, 'Why hasn't Marik found that spell yet?' She thought but left it at the back of her mind.

'Already they have a monster of 2600?' Yugi thought. Yami anticipated an attack by Lumis's turn.

"Now, I'll draw my card and attack," Umbra looked to both of them, "Beta the Magnet Warrior."

'No, none of my trap cards will respond to an attack!' Yugi panicked.

"Widespread Ruin activate!" MG called and the Shining Abyss went up in flames. The monster was destroyed with the Mask of Brutality and the Masked Doll.

"MG," Yami Yugi mumbled under his breath.

"Yami, this is a team Duel. You cover me and I'll cover you." MG stated.

"I'm not done yet." Umbra grinned, "To finish my turn, I'll play this card, Mask of the Accursed. This card will be equipped to your Beta and it cannot attack or defend you." Another mask appeared and it attached itself to Beta, "Ah, and a perfect fit, too. And while this card is on your monster, you lose 500 Life Points on every one of your turns."

"But before that comes in effect, I'll activate my trap card, Solemn Wishes." MG called and revealed her trap card, "While this card is on the field, we gain 500 Life Points every time we draw from our Decks. And when I mean 'we,' I mean Yugi and me."

Yami Yugi looked to his Life Point counter. When he drew, his Life Points were raised to 4500, but then dropped back to 4000 by Mask of the Accursed. "MG, I'm going to have to borrow your monster for this turn." Yami Yugi informed.

"If you mean use it in a Tribute, be my guest." MG replied. Yami Yugi nodded and made his play count.

"I will sacrifice MG's down card to summon Curse of Dragon." Yami declared but stopped by a trap card.

"I activate the trap card, Mask of Restrict. As long as it is on the field, no monsters can be sacrificed." Umbra countered the play.

"Then I'll just summon one monster in defense mode and end my turn." Yami Yugi forfeited his turn to Lumis.

"I'll just lay one more trap card and end my turn." Lumis made his turn short and sent to MG.

MG kept looking at the Sword still lying dormant without any energy signature what so ever. 'OooK,' she extended in uncertainty, 'Umbra has only played Shining Abyss and some trap cards, but it's Lumis that has played all of their trap cards. Maybe, one has all the monsters and one has nothing but magic and trap cards.' MG drew her card and her Life Points increased to 4500. 'The Graceful Charity magic card, maybe...' "Hey Yami, tell me you have a trap card that'll correspond to this." MG called.

"It depends, what's your plan?" Yami Yugi questioned.

"To increase your Life Points." MG answered. Lumis and Umbra looked on to their forming strategy.

"Go for it."

"Activate the magic card: Graceful Charity." MG declared and Yami Yugi followed.

"Mystical Refpanel, send the Graceful Charity's effect to me." He called as he drew three cards, discarded two, and his Life Points increased to 4500.

"Now for my monster." MG was about to play but remembered the Mask of Restrict. 'With that on the field, I can't play the Labyrinth Wall. But perhaps there's a way around it.' MG looked to her hand and reviewed her cards. "This turn I'll flip the Morphing Jar to attack mode, we all have to discard our hands and draw five new cards." MG declared as both of their Life Points increased to 5000. MG continued her turn with a gaze to Beta; it was still outfitted by the Mask of the Accursed. "I'll play another monster in defense mode and end my turn." MG looked to her Sword again, but still nothing. 'Marik, what is taking you?'

__________

It felt like an eternity in the Shadow Realm. I could feel the spirits around me, and the cold shackles keeping me from reaching MG. Often times Marik would check on me to see if my soul was still intact. When he came by my 'sixth sense' would simmer down. Recently I could feel a stronger energy signature, something strong enough to take my body to itself. Though the signature wasn't distinctive enough to identify, I could feel the same trace circling me like a pack of wolves.

To pass time I would practice my swordsmanship, though losing my balance by the chains that followed me. I'd wonder away from the glass case with Ra but eventually find my way back by the torches.

I took another trip out into the Shadow Realm and practice my skills. I drew my sword and my 'sixth sense' acted up, stronger than usual. I could even feel a cold-hearted chill run throughout my body.

"Miranda..." a whisper came to me, "Miranda."

"Who's there?" I looked one way, then another, nothing but the Shadow Realm dark, dense fog.

"Miranda..." it repeated.

"Show yourself!" I took one swipe of my sword and only disturbed the clouds in the way of my blade.

"Oh, come now, why should this bother you?" the whisper grew into a taunting voice. Just a cold voice that blew ice up my spine, "You helped me so I'll return the favor."

"Helped you?" I questioned, though kept my grip on the sword.

"But of course, you revived me through your bond with Slifer. Remember me now?" the voice silenced, waiting for my answer. I was hesitant to reply, afraid of the answer.

"No, it-it can't be you. Yami Marik? But how?" I stuttered in my phrases. A chill blew over me in different directions-the draft didn't know where to blow from.

"You know I was destroyed by Slifer the Sky Dragon, at that precise moment I could feel your energy signature channeling itself through Slifer. I followed that stream and it led me right to you." Yami Marik's voice sounded, "Now I said I was going to help you, but first we'll discuss the boundaries of our partnership."

"Partnership?" I repeated in question, "Just what makes you think I'll agree to this?"

"Miranda," Yami Marik smirked in his speech, "sometimes, you have give us a second chance. Because sometimes we might not give you that chance." I felt a jolt to my 'sixth sense' that almost knocked me unconscious. I still was able to keep my guard up and my will strong.

"And just what will you do to help me?" I asked with expectations.

"You are so uptight." Yami Marik complained sarcastically, "Maybe you should sit down, it'll do us both some good." My knees gave in and I caught myself with the sword under my right palm. "Put--away--the sword..." He ordered slowly and cuts in his words, I withdrew the blade. I gave in to him for the time being and seated myself in a cross-legged position, sitting near ground-level of the Shadow Realm's dark mists.

"I still don't see how you're going to help me. Marik believes that you were the one who put me here in the first place." I commented and laid my hands on my ankles, the black chains trailed over my knees.

"You know what, he's right for once." Yami Marik replied, I could now feel his energies circling me like he paced around me, "But if I was going to control Slifer and Ra for my own, I'm going to need THE Dragon. And you know that as well as I do you're the one. Getting destroyed by Slifer only to become part of your soul was all in my plan to obtain the Egyptian God Cards. Now about your question, look at your chains."

I gazed at the black shackles and somewhere in each chain that held me, one link shattered. My eyes widened in surprise.

"Don't look so shocked, I said I was going to return the favor." Yami Marik spoke up again, "That was no mere illusion, and neither is this." Black fog covered my right wrist above the shackle and materialized into some sort of Duel Disc like Kaiba's with a Dark Magician's staff touch to it, it included the Deck I took with me. "I know everything about you Miranda, the fact you're a left-handed Duelist especially. Using Kaiba's Duel Disc prototype must have been a sorry experience for you."

"Will you stop rubbing it in." I grumbled.

"But now back to our matters." Yami Marik changed subject, "In return for that Shadow Realm Duel Disc and your freedom, I want you to win the Finals. And don't worry. I have taken the thought of liberating Odion his six locator cards to you, and I'll be with you every card-erm step of the way." Yami Marik slipped in his words.

"What about Marik?" I asked with thoughts of a slip-up.

"Taken care of." Yami Marik replied and vanished from my senses. I looked to my wrists, the Duel Disc was gone and the shackles were linked again.

I heard footsteps coming towards me and my heart stopped pounding. Marik came through the clouds with the same serious expression. I felt relieved but I could feel a slight spark of Yami Marik's energy signature.

"I found the incantation, Miranda." He held up a piece of ancient papyrus and began chanting a spell. Seconds later the chains broke and the shackles vanished from my sights. Afterwards, a vortex opened up behind me, about the same location where Yami Marik was ejected from the real world.

"Good, I thought I was going crazy." I sighed relief.

"You wouldn't be going insane unless you bring a spirit out of the Shadow Realm." Marik replied.

"Yeah, really." I chuckled nervously. I showed myself out of the Shadow Realm with the promise that Marik and I were to Duel in the Finals.

The vortex disappeared behind me and Marik looked down to the debris of the chains. 'Where are the shackles?' He thought, 'They're supposed to be here intact.' His eye widen in shock and viewed the area of the vortex, 'Oh no…'

__________

Kaiba was still in the Monitor Room, viewing every Duel in Battle City. Mokuba sat at another computer, monitoring the participating Duelists. He gasped at a change of location. "Big brother, Miranda's Duel Disc ID signal just jumped three miles from its previous location." Mokuba alerted.

"What? How?" Kaiba questioned and looked over his brother's shoulder, "If Miranda's tracking signal over there, at the port, then who is fighting with Yugi against two Rare Hunters?"

"I'm not sure, but the Duelist database says they're both Miranda Guinaldo. Huh?" Mokuba caught glimpse of another change, "Now the signal at the port just vanished." He informed.

"I'll take a chopper to the port, there's a chance Miranda hasn't gotten far from there." Kaiba stated and nearly went out the door.

"Wait Seto, how do you know the Miranda at the port is the right signal?" Mokuba held up.

"Because I updated that database right after Yugi handed her Slifer." Kaiba replied, "As you can see, the first Miranda's rarest card is the Meteor Black Dragon and the second one has Slifer before it disappeared from tracking. Just stay here and radio me when something else comes up."

"Right," Mokuba nodded and took charge of the Monitor Room's staff.

Kaiba treaded down a walkway to a helicopter-landing pad. "Get the chopper running, we're going back to the port." Kaiba commanded.

"Yes, sir." The pilot replied and the propellers began to spin automatically. Kaiba stepped in and the chopper hung in the air and took off the landing pad.

'Miranda, you've been an enigma ever since I first saw you three weeks ago,' Kaiba thought, 'and now you're screwing around with my tracking systems. Actually I'm quite impressed the Rare Hunters haven't snatched your Meteor Black Dragon yet. Maybe I should see your skill for myself if you reach the Finals.' He sat with his arms crossed as the chopper flew over the warehouse and Kaiba lowered a rope ladder for himself. He got to the ground level and the chopper departed. "Mokuba, any sign of Miranda's second signal?"

"None Bro." Mokuba responded through the radio. Kaiba huffed and began to walk through the buildings.

* * * *

I reached out of the dark vortex and saw daylight for the first time today. I felt relieved to regain my freedom but the price was housing Yami Marik in my soul, I still wore the black outfit with the Katano Blade sword in its holster. The Shadow Realm Duel Disc was on my right wrist with the deck I brought, but not the remains of the shackles. I saw Kaiba's chopper leave over me and headed back to the city.

'We better get to Battle City, Guinaldo,' Yami Marik popped up again, 'there's only an hour left in the tournament before they announce the Finals.'

"Alright I'm going." I mumbled to myself and headed out towards the center of Domino. I nearly made it to the first road when a voice shouted from behind.

"Miranda!" Kaiba called from behind me. He paced up to me with the exact same glare like at school, "I need to talk to you."

"Really, I didn't see you as the talking type." I replied.

"Shut up and answer me one question, Guinaldo!" Kaiba got hostile, "Who is the one Dueling the Rare Hunters in Battle City?"

"Beg your pardon?"

"Mokuba informed me of two signals parallel with each other identifying your presence." Kaiba stated, "Your signal disappear after a few seconds and I managed to track you down from that point on. However the first signal remained, the one doing a tag-team Duel with Yugi and against two other Rare Hunters. Tell me how you pulled it off through my systems."

"Familiar with the Millennium Items and the Shadow Realm?" I asked and Kaiba nodded.

"You have twenty seconds to explain yourself." Kaiba lost his patience quickly.

"I have a Millennium Item, the Millennium Sword. Like Yugi, there's a spirit inside. At one point of time, that spirit and I were isolated and we remain like that even as I speak." I explained, "I managed to get out of the Shadow Realm with a different Duel Disc in reverse design." I finished and a pause took us both.

"I don't know if I should believe this Guinaldo." Kaiba said.

"Believe it." I replied, "I even have my own set of locator cards." I showed him the six clear cards.

"Well if that is the case..." Kaiba pressed on his KC emblem, "Mokuba, register the second Miranda for the Finals tomorrow." I thought quickly, referring to me as 'Second Miranda.' He probably means the first Miranda is MG, who's still out in the tournament...I hope.

"And could you rename the first Miranda 'MG?'" I asked Kaiba and he nodded. The radio was still active.

"Sure." Mokuba's voice was heard in return and Kaiba released.

"There's less than an hour before the tournament is closed for the Finals announcement." Kaiba reinstated, "You don't need to be at the main tournament grounds since I already registered you from here. I'll see you in the Finals, and hopefully I'll see the true power of your Deck."

* * * *


MG gasped right after her turn ended. It was still the beginning turns of the Duel with Yami and against Lumis and Umbra.

"MG, what's wrong?" Yami Yugi asked before Lumis took his turn.

"I could have sworn I felt Miranda's energy signature for a second, then it vanished." MG replied.

Umbra waited for their conversation to end and begin his turn. "I play Rogue Doll, in attack mode." He called and his next monster appeared, another one of his masked creatures of the light attribute. "This will end my turn." Umbra passed turn to Yami Yugi.

Yami Yugi gained five hundred Life Points from Solemn Wishes but stabilized back to 5000 by Mask of the Accursed. "I summon Alpha the Magnet Warrior in defense mode and end my turn." Yami stated as another one of his magnet monsters.

'Beta, then Alpha...' MG thought, 'Of course, those are two out of three monsters for a card Miranda traded one of her friends back at her last school. Yugi's trying to summon Valkyrion the Magna Warrior. And sooner or later, they're going to attack Alpha one way or another from its defense position.'

"I play another Mask of Brutality and attack the Swordsman head on by taking Umbra's Rogue Doll" Lumis called, "Rogue Doll, attack her with full force!"

"What?! you can't take my monster!" Umbra objected.

'No, get away from me!' MG cried in thought.

"Go Mirror Force!" Yami Yugi called and just like the Shining Abyss, the Rogue Doll was destroyed.

"Thanks for the much-needed bailout." MG sighed in relief.

"This Duel isn't over yet." Yami Yugi said, "It's your move."

"Right, and for this turn, I play one monster in defense mode and one trap card." MG stated as two cards appeared on her side. Before she announced the end of her turn, a thought struck her mind. 'Wait a minute, when I felt Miranda's energy signature I felt another one, familiar but not distinctive enough to identify who is it. Why am I thinking of this now? If I felt her signature then she is out of the Shadow Realm.' "This will end my turn."

"Swordsman, you think just because Yugi saved your Life Points mean you're safe? You are sadly mistaken, I play the Grand Tiki Elder in attack mode. Attack her defense!" Umbra declared and his monster hit dead on. The visible grin changed as he saw what he hit. "Sangan?"

"That's right, you hit and destroyed my Sangan, and when that happens I get to choose a monster from my Deck with an attack power of 1500 or less. So I choose Gamma the Magnet Warrior." MG declared as she pulled a monster from her Deck.

"You have Gamma?" Yami Yugi questioned.

"I like monsters with high defense points." MG replied, "Though I haven't played them yet because so far our defense has been each other's trap cards."

"Right, and by your next turn we'll have our teamwork cut out for us." Yami Yugi agreed.

"Oh, isn't that nice?" Umbra teased and a dark look shadowed MG face, "I believe Marik would wanna see that. If only I brought a camera."

MG's eye twitched and several veins shot on her head, "SHUT UP!!!" MG screeched loud enough to crack Umbra's side of the window.

"Umbra, I wouldn't get her mad, look near your Shadow Box." Lumis stated and Umbra gazed at it, a slight crack hinted by the sunlight made Umbra nervous.

"Why blame me?" Lumis argued, "You know as well as I do you were the one that teased her."

"Well, she was yelling at your direction." Umbra barked back.

"Don't count on it, look at your Shadow Box." MG crossed her arms. Umbra looked over and several cracks lined the Shadow Box.

"This can't be good." Lumis mumbled.

"Just continue this Duel or you'll be standing on thin ice." Yami Yugi warned, "It's your move, Umbra."

"I play one monster in defense mode and end my turn." Umbra played quickly.

Yami Yugi's turn began with the Solemn Wishes/Mask of the Accursed effects, his score rested at 5000. "OK, I play two trap cards and end my turn." Yami Yugi called as cards situated themselves in front of him.

"I'll flip Umbra's monster and..." Lumis began his turn.

"What?! You're doing it again!" Umbra argued but Lumis ignored him.

"Don't tell me, Mask of Brutality and attack me." MG finished him, "I don't get it why you're picking on me."

"Because we haven't given you a mask, so we'll give you something even better." Lumis suspended and MG gave him an eyebrow-up. "I play Monster Reborn and summon back Shining Abyss. Now to finish the curse."

"Curse?" Yami Yugi and MG repeated in unison.

"You've got to be kidding me." MG stepped out of the duet speech.

"Afraid not. I play Curse of the Masked Beast. This Ritual magic card will summon one of the most powerful monsters in the game, The Masked Beast." Lumis captioned as the sky above them got darker and two blue flames lit the center of the field. Another larger blue fire lit in between them and the Shining Abyss and the down monster were gone.

The field brighten up again and one monster made by the both of them opposed Yami and MG. "Unbelievable, that thing has an attack power of 3200." MG informed.

"That's right, and every single point aimed straight for you." Lumis directed the Masked Beast's towards MG with nothing to defend against it.

"MG!" Yami Yugi cried.

"Got it covered." MG replied, "Alright, give me all you've got."

"You asked for it, Masked Beast, attack her directly!" Lumis commanded and the staff launched a spell heading for MG.

"Just the play I was waiting for. I play Magic Cylinder. This will absorb your attack and send it to, oh," MG held suspense in the same taunting fashion, "Lumis." She stated and the blast went straight to Lumis. He lost down to 800.

"No, how could you let that happen!" Lumis complained.

"But there's more, Two-Faces. I also play the trap card, Ring of Destruction on your Masked Beast." MG activated another trap card and the Masked Beast was secured by a ring of grenades. "Brace for impact!" MG warned and the ring blew up.

Lumis lost all of his Life Points and the Shadow Box exploded after the Damage Step. "No! I don't want to go to the Shadow Realm!" Lumis cried before plummeting down the skylight. Lumis fell only three stories before pulling the chain on his cape and a parachute folded out, catching him on a flag pole.

Yami Yugi and MG were looking at Lumis's spot before and during when it shattered, then to Umbra.

"Let me guess, no traps?" Yami Yugi asked. Umbra shook in terror and surrendered.

"Aw, he took all the fun out of it. We were so close into summoning Valkyrion." MG complained.

"Look at it this way MG," Yami retrieved two locator cards "At least we didn't get plunged ourselves." He looked back down the skylight and Lumis still hung himself by the parachute.

Umbra looked up and saw both of them just standing at the edge of the broken window. He got to his feet and ran up behind MG. "Say 'Hello' to Miranda for me!" Umbra called before shoving MG over the edge.

"Hey." Yami Yugi quickly exclaimed before trying to grasp MG's wrist. MG lost her balance and sailed over the edge.

To be continued...