Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Snowed In ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
((For some strange reason, everytime I uploaded this it wouldn't format anything right! >_< I've gotten it as good as I can. ))

CHAPTER ONE: The Beginning of the End
December 19, 6:37 PM

Domino City was alive one beautiful Saturday afternoon. It had snowed the night before and everything was covered in a glistening blanket of white. The lakes and ponds had frozen over completely, allowing people to drag out their ice skates and have some fun. Snowball fights broke out in nearly every neighborhood, kids and adults alike having the time of their lives.

The Holiday Spirit had swept the entire city into joyous celebration and selfless giving. It was no different in one little quaint house in a neighborhood not too far from Domino High. A group of friends had come together to celebrate the holidays. Only one person had not been unable to come, and it had been understandable. Running a company was no small responsibility and this was one company that never shut down, not even on Christmas(1). The group of teens had started with a spirited snowball fight and then a snowman building contest.

When the cold finally got to everyone, the teens all stampeded into the warm, cozy house and got a cup of hot cocoa. It was then, as everyone talked and laughed in the living room, that Starzie came running into the room, her arms loaded with what appeared to be playbooks. "Alright, everyone!" she announced loudly so she could be heard. After everyone had quieted down, she continued, "The next activity on my list is a play!"

Not waiting for any reactions, she ran around the room, randomly handing out the books in her arms. Each contained a script for one part in the play she'd written. She handed them out randomly because a few of the parts were very sparse, and she wanted everyone to have an equal opportunity to the larger roles.

After that was done, she glanced around to see everyone's reactions. A few people looked skeptical, and a few more looked like they wanted nothing to do with it. The rest either looked excited or interested in the very least. "Come on, guys," she encouraged the people who didn't look interested. "This'll be fun!"

Yami glanced up at the brunette after flipping through his script and shook his head. "No way in hell."

"But I think it's a great idea!" Yugi protested, clutching his own script in excitement. "A play would be really fun!"

"For the first, and probably last time, I agree with the stupid Pharaoh," Bakura said, throwing his script on the coffee table and crossing his arms. "No way in hell."

"But Bakura, it'll be fun! If you're worried about messing up your lines, don't be. We're all likely to make a mistake at least once," Ryou said, hoping to change his darker side's decision. Bakura merely snorted and closed his eyes to avoid the other's hopeful gaze.

"Oh, come on, guys! You two have two of the most important parts," Starzie protested after glancing at their scripts. "Come on, please? Everyone loves a good murder mystery!"

"The keyword there is good," Malik cut in. "This isn't the best mystery I've seen, and besides it's Christmas, Starzie. I would have expected the Nutcracker or something."

Starzie starred helplessly at the Egyptian. "Not you too"

"He's right," Yami said, setting his script on top of Bakura's. "This is junk." The once Pharaoh crossed his arms and kept his gaze away from Yugi, who was starring at him reproachfully. Yami knew if he wanted to stay out this whole play thing, he couldn't give his lighter side a chance to sway his resolution. If he did, Yugi would do him in. Probably with the puppy eyes. That's always got him.

Starzie wasn't about to let him sit the play out, though. "It's not junk," she fumed, her glare intensifying with each second Yami refused to budge. "And just for insulting my work, you will participate in this play, even if it kills you!"

Yami glared right back. "Fine. I guess I'm dead."

As the two continued to argue and throw death threats at each other, the other teens in the room watched on, rather large sweat drops by their heads. In the background, the TV droned on, a prediction of a severe snow storm due to hit some time after night fall falling on deaf ears.

Finally, Yami spun on the ball of his heel and stalked out of the room. "I'm not taking part in any stupid play!" he growled over his shoulder before disappearing around the corner.

"Hey, Starzie" Tea cut in before the brunette had the chance to stalk after Yami. She was still leafing through her script as she spoke, "I think there's a mistake. It says here I only have one line"

"No mistake," Starzie muttered, still angry almost to the point she was beyond words.

"But..."

"I said there's no mistake! You only have one line, okay?" Grumbling about stupid yamis, the brunette stormed out of the room without another word.

"Yami's in for it now," Joey said, only half joking, and very thankful he hadn't been the one to get her angry. Author's, especially fanfic authors, seemed to have very bad tempers.

"Good," Bakura commented. "It's about time someone put him in his place. That damn brat is so used to getting his own way it's pathetic."

Yugi ignored the others as they joked about Yami's fate and walked over to Tea, who looked really down. "Don't worry, Tea," he said, putting a hand on her shoulder. "Starzie's just mad right now. I'm sure when she calms down she'll write you a better part."

Tristan, having overhead him, elbowed Duke with a grin. "Yeah, from a one-liner to a two-liner!" he jeered, laughing along with his friend.

"Two-liner? More like a one and a half liner knowing Starzie!"

Tears welling in her eyes, Tea stood and glared self-righteously at them. "Shut up!" she yelled, turning and fleeing the room. Yugi likewise glared at them, a rare event for the usually bright teenager, and then, calling her name, he ran after her.

Serenity, who was sitting beside her brother Joey on the couch, shook her head and starred disappointedly at the two. "That was so mean," she accused. The two boys glanced at each other before starring guiltily at their feet.

------An hour later... 7:02 PM------

Starzie had calmed down some as she searched the house for Yugi's dark other. The keyword being'some.' She couldn't understand why Yami was refusing so adamantly! It was just a play. If he really didn't want to be in it, he could have given his role to someone else and taken a smaller one!
It's just a playshe thought, arms crossed as she decided to see if he'd gone to his guest room upstairs.

Yeah, a play, Starzie. Get over it and give his part to someone else, some other side of her snidely remarked. Starzie shook her head to free herself from that line of thought. She would get Yami to be in this play, even if she was being rather childish about it.

Once she got upstairs, a chilly breeze swept past her. Glancing around, she noticed one of the windows had been left open for whatever reason. She walked over, shivering as the cold wind bit into her mercilessly. Why anyone would go and open a window with it like that outside was beyond her. Before closing the window, she glanced outside, noting that the sky was covered in thick gray clouds and that it was beginning to darken. Looks like it might snow again tonight That's when Yugi, Joey and Tea came up the stairs talking about the play.

"Hey, guys, have you seen that stubborn Pharaoh around?" Starzie asked a bit hopefully.

The three shook their heads, eliciting a sigh from the fanfic author. Tea, trying to decide her luck about her part again, asked, "About my part, Starzie Do you think you could write it a little better? So I have a bigger part?"

Starzie sighed again. "I'm sorry, Tea, I can't. Someone had to get the minor parts. You just got unlucky." She walked past them, deciding to check a few more places before giving up. "I swear when I find Yami, he's in for it!"

"Don't hurt 'em too bad, Starzie!" Joey called after her with a laugh.

Tea turned down the hall, and headed for her guest room, head bowed in disappointment. "I'll be in my room, guys."

Yugi and Joey watched their friend go and glanced at each other, both feeling sorry for her. "Let's go talk to Starzie," Yugi suggested, running off after the author in hopes of changing her mind about Tea's part. Joey nodded and followed but the two were out of luck. They couldn't find Starzie anywhere. It was as if she'd disappeared into thin air.

------An hour later... 8:02 PM-------

Starzie had taken refuge in the attic after giving up on Yami. The attic was a 'hideout' of sorts. The wind was howling angrily outside as she paced back in forth between the couch and the TV, much to the annoyance of the other two people in the room. "Ohhhh, I can't believe him. He's just gonna hide until after the play."

"Starzie, can't you just give his part to someone else?" Malik asked, tired of watching her pace and complain. He knew Starzie could get a bit immature at times, but this was just too much.

"Like me?" Bakura cut in, eyes gleaming.

Starzie stopped pacing, and stared at the white haired yami in confusion. "I thought you said you didn't want to be in the play?"

"I never said that. I said, 'No way in hell' to Yami getting the part you gave him. I want to be the murder, not the stupid victim!"

The brunette sighed, and shook her head. "Oh brother Alright, you can have his part. I guess I'll give your part to Tea. She's been bugging me about her one-liner."

"Oh, good! I get to kill Miss Friendship."

"Bakura, it's just a play," Starzie pointed out sweat dropping.

"Who gets Tea's one-liner?" Malik asked.

"I guess you can," Starzie said, thinking aloud. "You don't want to be in it anyways. I'll just have to take your part. I wasn't planning on being in the play myself, but I'll manage somehow." Malik nodded, thankful he wouldn't have to embarrass himself. Bakura, on the other hand, grinned.

"I guess that makes you my accomplice, doesn't it?"

Starzie rolled her eyes. "You're taking this too seriously. It's just a play!"

"Yeah, well-"

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!"

The three jumped in surprise, all startled as a high pitched scream echoed up through the house and into the attic where they were.

"By Ra, what the hell was that?" Bakura demanded, rubbing his ears to try to get the ringing to stop.

"It sounded like Tea," Malik said, likewise rubbing his ringing ears. "Probably saw a bug or a mouse."

"There are no bugs or mice in this house!" Starzie protested, looking cross. "Why do you think I pay an exterminator every month?"

"Obviously you've been wasting your money," the Egyptian commented. "Why else would Tea scream like that?"

"I don't know, but I'm going to find out," the author said, cautiously slipping out of the attic and onto the second floor so no one would see her. The only other people who knew of her little hideout where Bakura and Malik. They went up there to get away from the others.

The commotion seemed to be coming from downstairs, so she slid down the stair railing and entered the kitchen where all the noise was. "What the hell is going on down here?" Starzie demanded as she entered.. The scene was not one she had expected to find.

Tea was by the entrance of the kitchen, face buried into her hands as she sobbed. Yugi stood next her, tears streaking down his face as he futilely tried to calm her down. Near the table a pale Joey was trying to calm his sister. Everyone else was pale and only Duke seemed to have enough presence of mind to notice Starzie in the doorway. He pointed to the door that led off into the garage, not saying a word.

Confused, and apprehensive, Starzie walked over and open the door, a blast of cold air coming in from the garage as she did so. The air was frigid, and the room was pitch black as she stepped in. She could hear the wind clearly outside since the garage lacked as much insulation as the house. It was almost a deafening howl now. She fumbled for the light switch for a moment, nearly tripping over a box she couldn't see in the dark. Finally, she found it, and flipped it, bathing the room in fluorescent light.

That sight that greeted her shook her to the core. Eyes wide, she clamped a hand over her mouth as her stomach rolled and she stumbled back into the kitchen, pale and shaking. "Oh my god." She whispered, slamming the door shut and leaning on it heavily. It seemed her earlier words had come back to haunt her. She'd finally found Yamiand he was dead..


A/N: Please don't hurt me Yami fans!!!! *this said as she is using the Pharaoh for a shield*

Yami: I can't believe you killed me off first! *glaring at her*

What? Someone had to die first! If it makes you feel better, I did it randomly. I drew a name of my hat. ^-^ Lucky you, huh?

Yami: -_-U

Hehehe.anyways What did you guys think? Pretty ironic. Something that was suppose to be a comedy turned into this serious little ficlet. Heh. I know it's a little early to tell, but who do you think did it? Give me your votes in a review, and I'll post them at the beginning of the next chapter along with all my friends' votes. ^-^

So, review, vote and tell me what you think! That's all I ask! Oh, who do you guys want to die in this fic??? I mean, I do have seven more chapters written in rough draft form I've pretty much already decided who is and who isn't going to die, but enough votes could and probably will change a few things. ^-^

Again.sorry Yami fans! *still using Yami as a sheild*


(1) - Yes, I'm sorry. No Kaiba. =( I forgot all about him when I was originally writting this.