Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Speed of Sound ❯ Speed of Sound ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Speed of Sound
by ShoujoFushigi

Disclaimer: I do not own Coldplay's "Speed of Sound" or YGO.

Rating: PG-13 for foul language and the River Styx. Based slightly on Greek mythology.

A/N: Sequel to "Listen To Your Heart." One-shot, songfic.

SPEED OF SOUND

"Wha...where am I?" Mai wondered. She still felt a little pain in her chest. "Oh, God, I must have had a heart attack or something." At that point, Mai realized what happened.

"Holy shit, I'm dead! Wait, isn't this the River Styx? So it DOES exist..."

How long before I get in
Before it starts and before I begin
How long before you decide or
But before I know what it feels like

Mai tried to swim on her own, grasping for anyone she knew, but the current was too fast. All of the sudden, she saw a flash and she was at the center of the cyclone.

"What the HELL is going on?" "You're being temporarily released from the River. Apparently someone's doing a Ouija board and they're connecting to you. Get in this tube and it'll take you to that session." A voice called out.

Mai reluctantly entered the tube and the next she could hear was this...

"Ishizu to Mai. Come in, Mai."

The next thing she saw were most of her living friends, except for Kaiba, in a circle. "Well, I'd better throw them a bone," Mai thought.

"Hello? It's me. This had better be good, I had to get past Hades," joked Mai.

Where to, where do I go
If you never try, then you'll never know
How long do I have to climb
Up the side of this mountain of mine

"Mai? That you?" Téa called. "Yes." "Did you swallow a bunch of aspirin to give you a heart attack?"

"No, don't be ridiculous. To tell you the truth, I think it was supposed to happen. I was trying to sort out my love life when I had the heart attack."

"Hey, Mai, did you ever find out where my sandwich dissappeared to?" Joey asked.

"Oh, right, by the way..." "You ATE it?!? You little..."

"Joey, don't cuss. It's not nice." Serenity warned her brother.

Then Rex spoke. "Have you been able to find Allister yet?"

"No. I've been looking for him, though."

"Let me connect ot him for you, Rex," said Ishizu. "Ishizu to Allister. Come in. Ishizu to Allister."

Then, before Mai's dead eyes, Allister's aura showed up. "They pulled me out of the River Styx, what the hell do you want?"

At that point, Allister noticed Mai. "She's here?" "Yeah, ya freak, shut up," retorted Joey.

Look up, I look up at night
Planets are moving at the speed of light
Climb up, up in the trees
Every chance that you get is a chance you seize

"Allister, are you some kind of idiot???" Rex asked. "You ran a car or a cliff, crashed it, killed yourself and your comrade, AND I was in the hospital for a week!"

"Well, we both wanted to die. And you should never die alone. Someone must die with you."

"I died alone, you numbskull!" Mai shouted.

"Speakin' a' which, where's that son of a bitch you killed along with yourself?" Joey asked the aporition.

"Who, Varon? Oh, who knows where he is these days. We hardly ever see each other in the River Styx anymore, and Mai hasn't found him at all yet."

"Ha ha! The River Styx exists! You owe me twenty bucks, Dino-brain!" Weevil called.

"Boys! What did I tell you?" Ishizu said angrily. They both sighed. "No betting in the Ancient Circle."

How long am I gonna stand
With my head stuck under the sand
I'll start before I can stop or
Before I see things the right way up

"Listen, Ishizu, can we be sent back, please? I'm gonna look for Varon."

"All right, Mai. I'll send both you and Allsiter back."

Mai and Allister both reappeared in the River. "I'm gonna take off. See ya around." And with that, Allister left.

Six revolutions around the river later, Mai heard someone.

"Hey! Hey, Mai! Over here!"

Mai looked around to see who was calling her. "Varon?"

Varon swam up to her. "You didn't tell me you were dead!"

"I just died a couple days ago." Mai replied.

And with that, death became a new life for her and Varon. She had finally let her heart decide.

All that noise and all that sound
All of those places I have found
And birds go flying at the speed of sound
To show you how it all began
Birds come flying from the underground
If you could see it, then you'd understand.

A/N: No flames or you'll end up in the River Styx.