Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Spheres of Osiris ❯ First Impressions ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Yu-Gi-Oh!

Spheres of the Osiris

Chapter 2: First Impressions

Sleep, who needs sleep? I've learnt over the years to cope with only a few hour's sleep a night. Comes with the job description. Developing a skill like this is vital for a job like mine. You don't know who maybe lurking about. Sleep with one eye open!

The station was surprisingly busy considering it was only 5.00 am. The white marble floor was teeming with sleepy-eyed travellers, none of which appeared to appreciate being awake at such a fresh time of day. The walls had a gold tint to them that reflected a warm yellowy glow around the large hall. High above me were several huge emerald green windows, were it day time, they would have cast down a green light on the people below. It was a truely magnificent building. I headed for the ticket office which was situated beneath a grand gold and silver clock. Standing proud it was simply a marvel to behold in all its majesty. I headed for the ticket office.

After securing my ticket I took a seat and waited for my train to arrive. I looked up at the departure times written on a screen suspended from a silver collumn in the centre of the hall.

'Hmph!.....30 minutes late! I'm gonna be sitting here for ages!' I complained to myself. I scanned the area, analysing all the potential travellers around me. Most were wearing suits and holding briefcases, none of them held a Duel Disk system like the one fastened to my arm. This wasn't surprising considering the fact that most of the people here were on their way to work. Of course they wouldn't have a Duel Disk! This would make my job of identifying Rikku a lot easier. I took my deck from my pocket and began to leaf through my cards.

'I hope this deck is strong enough. If what Bentley said is true then I've gotta prove myself worthy!'

Twenty minutes passed and still no sign of Rikku. There was no sign of the Daevas yet either. I was just beginning to drift off to sleep when I felt a painful tapping on my shoulder. I set up and looked around. Behind my chair stood the lanky figure of a man clad in what appeared to be a Texan cowboy outfit, complete with the hat those funny little spurs on his boots. His face was dirty looking, the whites of his eyes were a sickly yellow colour. His chin covered in spikey, unshaven stubble.

"Judgin' by yer arm wear, I'd say you was a duelist. Out a little early, aint ya partner?" He grunted. That's when I noticed it, the Duel Disk. I was overcome with a sudden nausea which gave way to my ususal burst of confidence before a confrontation.

"Let me guess, you're one of the Daevas, right?" I said rising to my feet. He walked around the chair and stood a few inches from my face. His breath was truely rank.

"You must be Tyler Spencer. I've been sent to stop you from gittin' on that there train." He said, spraying droplets of foul smelling spittle on my face. It made me feel sick!

"Try it, I promise that you'll be bitterly disappointed!" I threatened.

"Nobody speaks to Kirk Jacobs like that! You and me is gonna duel!" He hissed.

"That's fine by me!"

"I'd rather fight with ma fists but I's gotta prove myself worthy."

With our shuffled desks placed into our Duel Disks and the holographic projectors now in place, my first duel was about to begin. I was filled with childish excitement. I couldn't wait to see my cards come to life before my eyes. Sure I had played people before but not like this. I remembered watching the Battle City Tournament duelists using these things last year, I remembered secretly wanting to own one myself. I would have loved to have gone up against Yugi, the King of Games himself, to see how I compared, but my job always got in the way. Now my job as a relic collector and my hobbie as a duelist had come together! I had to win this! Not just because of what was at stake, but also for my own self-satisfaction that destiny had intertwined the two key aspects of my life.

A crowd of spectators drawn by the sudden commotion had begun to gather around us. We each drew five cards to our hands and our Life Points were both set to 2000. The duel was underway. I was first to go.

Five cards were taken from the top of my deck to my hand. I drew a sixth. Four magic cards and two monster cards. Not a bad draw to start off with. I began.

"I place three cards face down and I summon 'Harpie's Brother' to the field."

A bright flash appeared infront of me as I placed the cards down on my Duel Disk and suddenly the shape of my face down magic cards and my monster began to form on the field. 'Harpie's Brother' looked like a hybrid between a human and a bird. Dressed like some sort of ninja with a large red claw attatched to the back of its hand and blood red wings sprouting from its back, my monster boasted an attack of 1800. Not a bad start, I ended my turn.

Kirk drew another card too.

"I'm gonna place these five cards face down and summon 'Slate Warrior' on the field." He placed his cards down on his Duel Disk and just like mine did, his cards and monster formed on the field infront of us. 'Slate Warrior' appeared clad in its yellow armour with its blue skin. With an attack power of 1900, 'Harpie's Brother' was outmatched.

"Attack my 'Slate Warrior'!" Kirk ordered. The 'Slate Warrior' lept forward and pounded its fist into my 'Harpie's Brother's' chest. In an instant my monster exploded into a cloud of white sparkles. The shattering 'boom!' echoed around the station walls. Several of the spectators clapped. The difference in our monster's attack was calculated and 100 of my Life Points were deducted leaving me with 1800. Now it was my turn again.

I drew another card. It was another monster card, 'Swordsman of Landstar'. Not a particularly powerful monster but it could help to save my life points for this turn at least. I set it face down along with another magic card left over from my first draw. I looked up at the clock on the wall. It's beautifully crafted gold and silver hands showed that there were only ten minutes left until I had to board my train. I needed a plan to finish this duel and quick!

Kirk drew another card and immediately set it face down on the field, which lead me to believe that this card either had a high defence or some kind of special flip effect. That's when I noticed something odd about the way Kirk duelled.

Hmm...he doesn't like to keep his cards in his hand very long does he. I've always got cards left over in my hand, it's a more strategic approach that way. Each to their own I guess.

Kirk once again launched an attack with his 'Slate Warrior', destroying my face down 'Swordsman of Landstar' in a shower of sparks. The crowd cheered again.

If I don't do something soon then not only is the world doomed, but I'm also gonna be humiliated infront of all these people!

"What's up? You aint lookin' so good. Why don't ya just give up?" Kirk taunted, a crooked smile spreding across his face, showing a mouthful of yellow teeth. His turn ended.

I needed a break here otherwise I was as good as finished. This was to be my first encounter with 'the heart of the cards'.

I need this now, I need to put my faith in the next draw or it's all over. No! I can't lose, I can't give up! I need to do this. This is my chance to make a difference, I can't fall at the first hurdle! Deck, don't fail me now!

I took a deep breath and drew my card. It took a while to sink in but fate had smiled on me. The card I drew was the 'Princess of Tsurugi' card. Even though the card's attack and defence were a low 900 and 700, beneath this was a deadly secret. I set the card face down and ended my turn.

"Is that all you can do? Give it up already!" Kirk jeered, the same sickening grin infesting his face. It turned my stomach and the meer sight of him made me feel ill with disgust.

Kirk drew his card, his 'final' card. Another monster which he summoned in attack mode.

"The 'Flash Assailant'. This guy's attack and defence go down by 400 points for every card I hold in ma hand. Right now his attack is 2000 cos I aint got no cards in my paws. I'd say this duel is finished!" He sneered, he didn't even try to hold in his confidence that he was going to win, infact he was acting like he had already done so.

"Do your worst! You foul smelling, brain dead slob!" I insulted, forcing him into an attack. He stood shocked for a moment then retaliated.

"You shut the Hell up, you scrawny little piece of crap!" He snarled, his face clearly showed his rage. "This duel is over! You hear me! You're finished! 'Flash Assailant', Kick his ass!!!"

The pirate resembling monster dashed forward and struck my face down monster with his blade. Kirk was right, this duel was over, but not as he expected it to be.

The attack flipped my monster, activating its special effect.

"This is it Kirk, you made a fatal mistake." I said in a low, serious tone.

"What are you talkin' about, I just crushed your monster!" Kirk spat.

"I'm gonna let you in on a little secret about my little 'Princess of Tsurugi'. Even though physically she isn't very powerful, her extra abillities are incredibly deadly. Especially for impatient duelists such as yourself."

"What!?" Kirk exclaimed.

"Once flipped, 'Princess of Tsurugi's' special effect is activated. For every magic or trap card you have on the field, 500 points of damage is taken directly from your Life Points. Luckily for me, your eagerness to empty your hand has left you with all five magic and trap spaces filled, allowing me to deduct a whole 2500 life points. Looks like I win."

Kirk watched on helplessly as his Life Points whittled their way done to zero, he crumpled to the ground in disbelief. He had failed. The monsters and face down cards vanished. The duel was over.

A minute of silence passed which seemed like and hour. The spectators began to drift away back to their lives and a voice came over the station's tannoy announcing that my train had arrived. I nodded at the whimpering Kirk and turned towards my platform, content with my first victory and no longer a sceptic of 'the heart of the cards'.

"No!!! This aint over!!!" Screamed a highly aggitated Kirk Jacobs. "I will be worthy! You aint seen the last of me!!!"

Leaving Kirk behind I boarded my train. With no sign of Rikku, I hoped she'd already made it aboard. With the appearance of the Daevas I hoped she hadn't fallen victim to their sinister scheme. But as the train left the station there was one thing I was certain of, no matter what happened, I had a job to do!