Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Stripped Away ❯ Finally... free? ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Stripped Away
By: shadowsoul
7/1/2005
 
 
 
Time passes so quickly. Without realizing it, you can allow an entire day to go by and not accomplish a thing. Then there are other times, when things seem to pass so slowly you think they'll never end. But they do. All good things must come to an end. Bad things too. Still, though everyone knows this, there are some people who try to hold on, not being able to let go but holding on with all their might only to have whatever their holding onto forcefully ripped from their grasp.
 
 
I didn't want to hold on, I really didn't. I swore to myself that I would let go, would be able to let go. But when the time came, I just… couldn't. You would think it would be easy to let go, after all the times he's hurt me. But its not, and I can't, because… then I'll be all alone. And I don't like to be left alone.
 
But still, when the time came, I let him go. When it came that there was a chance to finally be rid of him forever, even though my heart was breaking, I took it. And now I'm all alone. Lately I've been hearing things, voices. They are a welcome noise after the suffocating silence that has been here since he left. They talk to me, telling me all kinds of wonderful and terrifying things, things and secrets that are mine alone.
 
Mine? To you, this may not seem like much, but the thought of having something that's only yours and not shared with someone who also shares your body, is exhilarating. Refreshing. I had forgotten the feeling. Most people would say I've gone crazy. Maybe I have. Or maybe sanity was never mine to begin with. Maybe he took it with him, I don't know. School is now pointless, and I hardly ever go. Surprising isn't it, coming from someone who hardly ever missed a day, even after being beaten senseless. I just feel so… empty. I'm overjoyed to be done with the suffering, but for goodness sakes, I had half of my soul ripped away!
 
Yugi and the others tried to visit more than once, but got the message after I never would answer the door. At school I avoided them as much as possible, but happened to one day get stopped by Yugi. His other half had no doubt given him the courage to come up to me, as I know he would be too scared to otherwise.
 
“Um… Ryou? I just… well, you've seemed kinda depressed lately, and I just wanted to make sure you were alright.” All of this came out rather hurriedly, and then looked up at me expectantly.
 
“I'm fine Yugi.” I snapped. “Wonderful really. Why shouldn't I, I got what I always wanted, right?”
 
“Then why are you so upset?”
 
 
 
 
Yes… why? To this I had no answer, and simply walked away. When I first glanced at the Ring, that very first time, I was sentenced to a life of torture and despair. With it, and now, without it.