Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ The Arrangement ❯ Chapter Fifteen ( Chapter 15 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Arrangement

Chapter Fifteen

"Kaiba," he stated curtly upon answering the transferred call from his secretary the following morning. Selina was resting peacefully at the mansion and Mokuba had gone to a friend's for the day. And even though it was a Saturday, he found himself in his office early in the morning, despite the strange longing to climb back under the satin covers of his warm bed and close his eyes, allowing sleep to claim him for a few more hours.

There were details to work out on Kaiba Corp.'s new products, the renovation of his office floor, and the fate of Darrin Mazika. His mind was swimming in thoughts of what he would enjoy doing to Selina's father, but under the law, he had no authority to do so. Of course, he was Seto Kaiba, and could pay the law off, but the nagging in the back of his mind told him Selina would not be pleased with the actions his thoughts may lead him to; so he would allow the government to take care of this one - but his ever present influence would act greatly in the overall decision of the fate of Darrin Mazika.

"Mister Kaiba, this is Chief Kenjin of the Domino Police. I received a call last night from a Mister Ichigo Nika. I have the man - Darrin Mazika - in custody. As of now, we are reviewing the charges you have set against him," Kenjin spoke calmly into the phone, his deep brown eyes glancing down upon the papers before him. "If all goes well, he will be proven guilty, and sentenced to life in prison as the very least. But, from the charges I have seen, I am near certain he will be executed."

Kaiba's eyes flashed at the news, a smirk growing on his tight pursed lips as a plan engulfed his mind. To be forever free of the man who caused his carefree wife to live in a strange sense of fear was a very liberating thought. "Is it possible to see to it the charges condemn him? If he is set free, I will not hesitate-"

"Mister Kaiba, I understand the situation you are facing; but under no circumstance can you interfere with the decision. You may present your case against him before the court, but as I am most certain, he will be a condemned man. He has many things in his past which are enough to deliver him unto death," Kenjin interrupted briefly, his eyes trailing from the papers to a lonely picture resting upon his desk.

"I am having some files sent to you at this moment. There are many things you have yet to learn about this situation Mister Kaiba. It goes much deeper than the attacks made on your wife. That is only scratching the surface. I am certain you will be…shall we say, surprised at the history you will learn about Darrin Mazika, and your wife - Selina Mazika Kaiba. We will be in touch."

With those final words, Kenjin gently hung up the phone, his eyes continuing to linger on the lone photograph of a young woman whose eyes shone without a care in the darkened world. Sadness hung in his dark eyes as he shook from his reverie and placed the papers he was holding in a file. She was dead - the young woman in the picture. There was nothing he could have done to prevent her death, no matter how many times he told himself otherwise. For twelve years, his mind had been plagued by the thoughts of the young girl who was once so full of life - until it had been taken from her.

And her family - a young man who was lost and incomplete without her, and a young child who needed her mother more as each day passed. And even now, the young child who had grown and married, still suffered from the loss of her mother - and the loss of her father. For the night her mother died, the father's heart and spirit died with her.

He sighed softly, shaking his head in an attempt to clear his thoughts. The girl never knew much about him for he had been in America, working with their government on higher security. Only two years had passed since he had moved to Domino, become Chief of Police, and met Seto Kaiba - an acquaintance which proved vital in his social standings and career.

When he had learned of the young woman's death, his heart was crushed, and his mind set to live in America until Death would claim his last breath. But upon hearing from a young man the situation of the young child who had been left alone in the world with a drunken father, he had moved back to Domino as soon as he could - only to find the young child had grown and married a very wealthy man who would care for her.

He was pleased with her choice in men, to say the least - having met him on a few occasions. If his courage would allow, he would go to this girl and speak with her. But his mind always left him at a loss for the correct words to say. He closed his eyes softly as he leaned back in the dark leather chair. Merely scratching the surface Mister Kaiba.

Kenjin chuckled softly, rising from his chair and grabbing his coffee mug. It was going to be a long day in the office. Christine, his mind cried out in silence as he departed his office and was met with the smell of dark roasted coffee beans brewing in the break room.

~*~*~*~

"Sir," a voice buzzed over the two-way intercom between Kaiba's office and his secretary's desk. "The papers from Chief Kenjin have arrived."

"Bring them in," Kaiba commanded, leaning back in his chair. An hour had passed since he had spoken to the Chief of Police, and he had begun to wonder when the documents would arrive.

He nodded in some form of thanks to his secretary as she placed a file upon his desk and departed his office. He swiftly flipped open the folder, his eyes scanning the first document for anything of relevance or importance in his mind.

Irritated at finding nothing of importance to him, he flipped through the pages, the sixth one catching his eye. There before him lay the files of Darrin Mazika - files that, had he not been the prominent, wealthy CEO of Kaiba Corporations, he would otherwise never have seen. He took a brief moment to smirk at the power he had before scanning the document - this time, slower than he had the first.

First misdemeanor at sixteen years?Arrested for possession of illegal substances at seventeen…released on probation...married at twenty-two. Accused of disturbing the peace multiple times. Neighbor called at eleven at night due to the amounts of screaming coming from his home…

Kaiba lifted his eyes from the documents, allowing the new information to sort itself through his computer of a mind. He was shocked, nonetheless, at this new information concerning Selina's father. The fact that he had been arrested at such a young age did not surprise him as he had expected. What surprised him the most was the fact that arguments occurred while Selina was a child - loud enough for the neighbor to call the police our of irritation. Or was the phone call in fear?

Kaiba shook his head, gathering his thoughts so he could focus. There was much he had yet to learn about Selina's past as he was finding out. For now, he would read the documents on her father, and in due time, would discuss it with her. Perhaps he would make a trip down to the police station to discuss these new findings with Kenjin…and perhaps, Darrin Mazika.

As he looked over the documents, the new information sinking in, it never once occurred to him how Selina would feel about him invading her past without permission. Nor did it occur to him that he could ask her what she knew and she would willingly tell him.

~*~*~*~

Selina hummed softly to herself as she strolled into the kitchen early in the morning. Two in love can make it, take my heart but please don't break it… "Love, was made for me and you!" she finished aloud, grinning cheekily as she pulled a box of cereal from the cabinet and poured it into a bowl with milk, seating herself at the kitchen table. It was at that moment she realized she was not the only person in the room.

"Good morning," she whispered softly, burying her face in the newspaper that lay limp upon the table and hoping her blush at being caught singing would fade.

"You sound awfully happy this morning," Kaiba said coolly, his eyes never leaving his part of the paper as they scanned over different rises and falls in the stock market.

Selina grinned, placing the paper down upon the table and pulling the paper away from her husband's face. "It's February fourteenth!" she exclaimed, her eyes lighting in happiness. "You know, Valentine's Day," she emphasized.

Kaiba merely raised a brow as he responded, his voice dripping in sarcasm. "And who's going to be your valentine? With the way you hit that last note, I'm certain every eligible male in the country will run."

Selina's face fell slightly before a calm smirk formed upon her bright face. "I picked my valentine a long time ago. He's tall, handsome I suppose," she said, leaning her chin upon her hand. "Of course, he's also - shall we say, cruel - sometimes, but the fact that he's very wealthy more than makes up for it…oh, wait. That's you."

Kaiba rolled his eyes. "I have work," he said curtly.

"Then Mokuba will be my valentine and your valentine can be your company," Selina shrugged, rising from the table.

"You're coming with me."

Selina spun around, her eyes wide and questioning. The last time she had been to Kaiba's office was when she was presenting her image files for his newest video game. And while the office was large and luxurious, she would rather spend the day cleaning than sitting there, wondering what to do.

"We're leaving in five minutes. No, what you're wearing is fine. And no, I had Roland bring a sweater to the car," Kaiba said calmly without looking up at her.

Speechless with surprise and curiosity, not to mention slight irritation, Selina exited the kitchen without saying a word to her husband. Kaiba merely smirked as he pulled a single rosebud from his coat pocket.

He was not an ace when it came to romance, but he knew enough to survive. Selina would be in for quite a surprise when she found they were only spending a mere hour and a half in the Kaiba Corporation offices.

He tucked the rosebud back in its safe pocket and stood from the table. He had a proposal to look over and a short meeting to attend. It was quite possible they would not even be in the offices for an hour. And deep within his mind and heart, he slightly wished he didn't have to go to his office at all.

~*~*~*~

Why did he bring me again? Right, he never told me why. Selina sighed in frustration as she paced the floor within Kaiba's office. He'd been gone for ten minutes to some meeting, and she was at her wits end trying to find something to control the boredom she was facing. Unfortunately, nothing was curing her problem.

Sighing once more, she sat herself upon Kaiba's chair and began to look at the random papers upon his desk. Nothing seemed to truly catch her eye. There were numerous proposals, files on new employees, a few sketches of designs for a new video game modulator, and an unmarked file.

It was obvious to her that all these papers belonged in different files, and that Kaiba had been much to busy to care about sorting the papers and cleaning off his desk. Deciding it was better than sitting there and staring off into space, Selina began to rummage through the papers and place them in their proper folders.

Another ten minutes had passed, and Kaiba's desk was nearly cleared. She picked up the last file, when curiosity gripped her. She did need to know just where the file belonged, so it wouldn't hurt to take a glance inside.

Her head snapped up before her fingers had a chance to open the manila folder. Kaiba sauntered to his desk, raising his brow in curiosity at his clean desk and the folder in her hands. It was evident the meeting had put him in a sour mood, not just by the way he slammed the door, but the scowl hidden deep within his navy eyes.

"What are you doing?" he questioned, slipping the folder from her fingers and placing it inside his briefcase.

"I was just sorting the papers on your desk," Selina replied softly. "It was somewhat messy."

Kaiba didn't reply as he snapped his briefcase closed and set it near the door. Without a sound, he disappeared through the door and returned in five minutes, dressed in jeans, a black shirt, and his white Kaiba Corp. coat. He approached Selina slowly, fingering the single rosebud he hid behind his back.

"Don't think I had forgotten what today is before you reminded me this morning. I know what this day means to many people, and I'm assuming that includes you. I've decided to take the day off," he said coolly, holding the rose out to her. "And I've decided to spend it with you."

Selina smiled softly, rising from the chair and accepting the rose before she walked over to Kaiba and found herself breathing in his scent as he held her within his arms. I think I may be falling in love with you Seto Kaiba…

~*~*~*~

"I'd rather sit here."

"You said-"

"I know what I said. And I know what I'm not going to do."

Selina rolled her eyes as she pulled Kaiba's arm. In spite of what he said, it was obvious he wasn't going to put up a fight. Grinning, she pulled him harder, causing him to stand. "It's really not that hard."

Kaiba pursed his lips, following his wife slowly. The moment he reached her, he grabbed onto the railing, glaring at his feet.

"I still can't believe you've never ice skated before," she giggled lightly, taking hold of one of his arms and pulling him further onto the ice.

"I've more important things to do with my time," Kaiba grumbled, his arm tightening around Selina's waist as he tried to remain steady.

"Not willing to admit you don't know how to ice skate? Come on," she grinned, her pace quickening as she dragged a scowling Kaiba around the rink with her.

True, it wasn't as hard as he was making it seem, but he enjoyed her arm around him and his arm around her. The closeness seemed to spark a strange feeling within his slowly melting heart. If the press were to arrive…

Kaiba shook his head, not willing to think of what may occur should the press arrive. He had an image to uphold in the presence of the public. And despite how easy she made it to drop all masks and be who he truly was, he could not allow the press to know. Not like he had at the dueling convention.

It had taken much effort to keep the press from printing the story. And then they had gotten a hold on the story of Selina's past and her relationship with her father. That too had taken much effort to destroy. How he despised Darrin Mazika. Even all the dislike he held within his heart for Joey Wheeler could not compare to the hatred burning in his soul for Selina's father.

His grip upon Selina tightened at the thought of her father. He would see to it the man never walked free. He would not risk Selina's safety. His heart and emotions would never allow him. If you knew the hold you have on me…I've never felt anything like this before. And as much as it'd be easier to ignore this feeling…I don't want to…

~*~*~*~

"So that was fun," Selina smiled as she snuggled against Kaiba in the warmth of the limo. A few hours had passed while the two skated around the ice and more would have, had Kaiba not noticed the quiet sniffling and pinkness appearing on Selina's cold face.

He nodded slightly, envisioning the two of them sitting before the fire and sharing sweet kisses. What am I thinking? Kaiba shook his head, chasing the strange visions from his mind. Images had been playing in his head from the moment he admitted to himself he didn't want to ignore the feelings he had for Selina. And now, they were beginning to drive him mad.

What more could he want? He was married to a lovely young woman who captured his breath each time he laid his eyes upon her. He had a comfortable relationship with her. He owned and controlled Kaiba Corporations. He was wealthy, lived in a nice mansion, had a younger brother who adored him. From the outside, his life was perfect. But there was something missing; something within his heart.

"Selina, promise me something," he whispered gently, his thoughts beginning to form as words.

Selina slowly glanced at him, her eyes curious. "Hmm?"

Kaiba swallowed, his thoughts fleeing him. How could he word what he wanted to say? "I…promise me that…that if, or when, if you ever love me that you…" he paused, not able to look into her face. His own was heated with an unusual embarrassment. "That you will only tell me if you truly mean it."

Selina nodded, her brows furrowing in silent questions. "I promise." His request had been absolutely random, there was no doubt about that. Just what are you thinking? Tell me Seto Kaiba, is your heart feeling what mine is?

~*~*~*~

"And you call that fun?" Kaiba questioned, leaning back within the warmth the limo offered.

"Yes. Thank you," Selina smiled gently, a radiance glowing deep within her eyes. "You didn't fall too many times. You only lost your balance when that kid skated out in front of you." Selina released a light giggle as the picture played back in her mind.

Kaiba groaned, remembering all too well. He was certain he had a bruise where he had fallen, not to mention a rather large one upon his ego. "You'll never allow me to forget?"

"Never."

Kaiba sighed, his arm slipping around her waist as he pulled her closer to him. "Then I'll never allow you to forget this," he smirked, enjoying the questions forming in her eyes.

Swiftly, his lips enveloped hers in a kiss of hungry passion and longing. His grip upon her tightened as she responded to his kiss, and did not loosen when she pulled away. He could easily get used to the feelings she was stirring within him.

"Seto?" she asked moments later, her finger gently tracing his jaw line.

"Hmm?" he answered softly, his eyes remaining closed.

"Happy Valentine's Day."

Kaiba smirked, his other arm wrapping around her and pulling her to his lap. He placed his head upon her shoulder and slowly drifted into a short, yet comfortable sleep.

~*~*~*~

For my heart is clouded, and my vision is dim.I am lost and confused, and I am searching for you. My heart has grown cold with the trials of yesterday, and my mind has grown dark with the thoughts of my pains…

Selina closed the leather bound book gently as she lay it back upon her desk. The truths of her past were dark, but she had been able to move on, hadn't she? "I will always keep this as a remembrance of where I have been," she whispered softly to herself, picking the book up once more and placing it in a drawer. "She really knew what she was talking about, and she seemed to always relate to me. If only her name hadn't been faded…"

Selina sighed gently, turning from her desk and exiting her room, thoughts from the unknown author wafting through her mind. Her mind was muddled, crowded with thoughts of her father and her newly discovered feelings for her husband. She knew it would only be a matter of time before she was truly in love with him - no matter how many things seemed to push her away.

A gentle hum escaped her lips as she strolled through the quiet halls. It was a calm morning and the weather was not too cold. She had considered going for a walk in the gardens, but the rain from the previous night has been enough to dampen that thought.

"There's nothing to do!" she cried out in a quiet exasperation, sliding against the wall and sitting down. "Is this is how my life will be forever? My husband always working, and me…always alone?"

A sigh escaped her frowning lips before a hushed voice reached her ear. It was a deep voice, carrying tinges of anger and rage, as well as a strange sense of thankfulness. Curiosity gripping her, Selina rose from her position on the ground, and headed for the voice. Silently, she looked in the crack of Kaiba's office and found him sitting in his chair, phone in hand, curses quietly escaping his lips.

~*~*~*~

"Of course I want more!" Kaiba growled into the phone, his eyes narrowed in a fiery rage. "I want him to suffer for all the pain he-"

"Yes, I understand that. But it isn't soon enough, nor does he deserve only that!"

"I want records, proof that it works. Time, date…I want to be there when he dies. I want to see his life end with my own eyes. If this does not work, I swear to you, I will kill him!" Kaiba slammed the phone down, rubbing his temples lightly. His decision to stay home had been wise.

It was still early in the morning, so he was certain Selina was still asleep. His voice had risen many times through his conversation with Kenjin, but his office was far enough away from the room to where it would not awaken Selina. A satisfied smirk crossed his face as the realization of what Kenjin had said hit him. Finally, she would be free.

~*~*~*~

"Seto?" she whispered gently, pushing the door open wide as a curious expression graced her face. "Is everything alright?"

"Selina!" Kaiba fumbled, losing his composure for a brief second. "Everything is perfect."

"He's still here…isn't he?" Selina whispered, a blank expression forming upon her face. "That's what you were talking about, wasn't it?"

"Selina…I," Kaiba began, somewhat distraught. He expected words of gratitude, not disdain. "How much did you hear?"

"How could you lead me to believe he was gone?" she questioned softly, tears slowly building in her eyes.

"It was for your own good," Kaiba replied, his eyes never leaving her distressed face.

"My own good? I want to see him."

"I don't think that's a good idea."

"You can not stop me Seto Kaiba," Selina replied in defiance, her lips set in a straight line as a hint of anger passed through her.

"Selina, after all he's put you through, visiting him is the last thing you should do," Kaiba answered, his eyes finding hers as he rose from his seat.

"You had him condemned to death?" Her voice rose as her fists clenched slightly.

Just how much did she hear? "He is getting what he deserves."

"How could you do this to me..." Tears slowly began to fall from Selina's eyes as she absorbed the information slowly. Her anger had quickly subsided, leaving a sad and desperate childlike feature upon her form.

"I thought you'd be happy. After all, the man did nearly rape you, and he attacked you numerous times."

"How do you know what I want when you never ask me? He's my father, regardless of all he's done to me...he's still my father..." With tears falling in full force, Selina slowly sunk to the ground, defeat written in her clouded eyes.

"Selina, if he were to be a free man, he may come back. I can't risk losing you."

"Why am I so important to you? You're always watching every move I make, checking every place I step. Tell me, why?"

"I can't risk losing you Selina. I…need you," Kaiba whispered, slowly falling to his knees and taking hold of his wife as he breathed deeply. "I can't let you see him."

"Why? I don't see what the big deal is," Selina cried out in exasperation, loosening the grip Kaiba held on her.

"Because I…" Kaiba choked, unable to say what he knew in his heart he was feeling. He couldn't let her go; not now, or ever. He wasn't about to risk losing her to her father's silent control. "I'm falling in love with you."

"What?" Selina's voice was barely audible as the tears ceased and her eyes widened. "You're…what?"

Kaiba's face remained emotionless as he cupped her chin in his hands and gently brushed the tear trails from her face. "If you want to see him so badly, then I will grant you that wish. But I will be there with you, every second."

"He's all the family I have left," she said softly, her eyes closing tightly as more tears began to build up. The emotions and pains of the past that had been locked up were beginning to rage from her being like a flood.

"What about me?" Kaiba questioned gently, his voice quiet and deep.

"I meant that-"

"It's fine," Kaiba interrupted, sighing mentally. "But it's not true."

Selina's eyes flashed open as curiosity struck her. "All I had were my parents, and my mother has been dead for years. And now my father…"

"There's something you should know," Kaiba said calmly, lifting her from the ground and moving her to the couch. He sat beside her, his eyes probing into her soul as he began his admission of researching into her past.

She was not angry with him as he had thought; and if she were, she hid it well. He had been shocked of many things he had learned from his research, but there was one thing that astonished him most. One detail that not even she knew.

"What?" she cried out, her eyes widening in deep shock before the world turned black and she went limp within her husband's arms.

* * *

I apologize deeply for the delay in this chapter. I have had it completed for nearly a week, but I wasn't happy with the way it had ended. I hope you can hold onto your suspense (if there is any) for a couple of weeks. Classes end this week, but I have somewhere I will be next week. If you have read the chapters very carefully, then there shouldn't be any suspense to the "secret," but that's all I'm saying on the matter until I reveal it next chapter. But, the biggest thing is: Kaiba's falling in love with Selina!?!? That was not planned to happen, but I go with the flow ^___^

Happy trails and happy summer! I'll update ASAP, but I make no promises for the next TWO weeks! Ciao and how's it go? Ja ne I do believe. ^___~