Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ The Day Joey Went to the Library ❯ Chappie one ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Disclaimer: I may own an anime, but it's not YGO. It's Kingdom Anime, which I'll be posting very soon. All books mentioned belong to their rightful owners; I'm merely borrowing their contents for this fictional and highly amusing story.
 
Sonja: You heard me! They aren't mine!!!
 
Jake: So what's the fic today, Sonja??
 
Sonja: `The day Joey went to the library.'
 
Jake: And?!?!
 
Sonja: You'll see in this story.
 
Jake: And what's on the fic borrowed list??
 
Sonja: `Ripley's Believe It or Not: Special Edition', `Ripley's Believe It or Not: Special Edition 2005' and `Guinness World Records 2005: Special 50th anniversary edition'.
 
Jake: Wow, the latest series?
 
Sonja: I like to stay updated.
 
Jake: Any notes we should know about?
 
Sonja: Yeah. Some of the entries are completely false, some have modified facts, and most are completely true. You'll see the classifications below:
 
(CT)- Completely true
(MM)- Minor Modifications
(NT)- Not True
(NEI)- Not Enough Information (There are some entries that were shown on TV but not written in the book. These I am recalling on memory.)
 
Warning: Major OOCness on a few people's accounts. Some will do some things they will NEVER do in the anime nor the manga.
 
Side note:All book entries will look like this:
 
Title (Entry classification)
Blah, Blah, Blah
 
Sonja: On with the fic!!!!!!!!!!!!
“Speech”
`Thoughts'
-Y to YY-
=YY to Y=
$%$%$%$%$%$%$%$%$%$%$%$%$%$%$%$%$%$%$%$%$%$%$%$%$%$%$%$%$%$%$
 
Dateline:July 23, 2005 (A/N: Happy Birthday, Daniel Radcliffe!! << Sry, I'm a major potter-ite. Anyway, this happens somewhere in the middle of Battle City, before the finals take place. So sue me if I like it like that!)
 
“Yugi, I don wanna go in der!!!” An exasperated voice carrying a strong American accent protested.
 
“But Joey, we need to finish the book report! It's due in a week!” A small slightly squeaky voice said in retaliation.
 
The source of these two voices came from two teens standing in front of the large oak doors of the Domino High library.
 
The taller of the two crossed his arms in complaint. “Der's nothin' ta do in der but read. I get bored easily.” He said angrily, shaking his head, his blonde hair flipping into his amber eyes.
 
The smaller one, (Whom I guess you know already) began pulling Joey (Blondie, duh!!) in the direction of the doors. “You've got to do this, Joey. Whether you like it or not, you have to!!” He said, straining to pull.
 
“Need some discipline training for your dog, Yugi?” A voice asked.
 
Yugi turned around and saw Kaiba looking down at him, smirking. (I mean duh! He's 6 ft tall!!)
 
“Why are you here? I thought you already did the report.” Yugi said.
 
“Ya, why are you here? Don' tell me you're too high n' mighty to do a simple assignment!!!” Joey asked defensively.
 
Kaiba scoffed in reply. “I already finished the report ages ago. Mokuba wanted me to check if the library had `The Half-Blood Prince' since the worldwide release was a week ago.” (J.K. Rowling's, not mine!!!) “Besides,” He added, glaring at Joey. “I have more important things to do than see a kid struggling with his pet dog.”
 
“Joey please don't…” Yugi said cautiously, seeing his friend shake with anger.
 
Kaiba continued, ignoring Joey and Yugi's actions. “Anyway, I've never been in this library before. All of the books I've ever required are at home…”
 
Joey pointed a finger at Kaiba in a mixture of accusation and triumph. “Ha! So you're never been in der either!!” He said triumphantly.
 
“But at least I'm going to, not whining about it like a little puppy.” Kaiba said calmly, watching in delight as he touched a nerve.
 
“Joey don't, he's only luring you in…” Yugi warned softly.
 
“Hmph, I think you're just scared.” Kaiba scoffed.
 
“Of what?!?” Joey asked angrily.
 
“Of learning. In fact, I dare you to go in there and not come out until an hour passes.”
 
“Dat's it!!!” Joey cried out. “I'm goin' in!!”
 
And with that, He shoved opened the doors and stomped into the library, with Yugi in hot pursuit.
 
Kaiba just shrugged. “Might as well follow them…”He said, striding into the library.
 
********************
 
Inside the library, Joey was storming down a random aisle alone in a rage.
 
“Darn dat Kaiba, He can still act so cocky even when he's neva come ta dis library eitha!!!” He muttered. He accidentally knocked into a shelf, sending a random book toppling to the floor at his feet.
 
Joey bent down to pick it up. When he did, he saw an entry in the book.
 
Color-coded Rivalry(NT)
Studies show that throughout history, almost all arch enemies have one thing in common: They were either blonde or brunette. A closer classification below:
 
Napoleon (Brunette) and the Chief of Waterloo (Blonde)
Davis Crocket (Sp?) (Blonde) and the Mexican commander (Brunette)
Julius Caesar (Brunette) and Mark Anthony (Blonde)
 
`Huh, even in his'try blondes and brunettes wa arch enemies.' Joey thought approvingly, lifting his spirit a bit. He picked up the book and looked at the cover. It was red with black-and-white pictures behind a bright red title which read:
 
Ripley's Believe It or Not: Special Edition
 
`Hmm, dis outta be intrestin'…'Joey thought to himself. `I wonda if der are more books like dis?'
 
He looked up and down the shelves. After a while, he came across two books, one blue and one yellow. (A/N: Hmm… Red, blue and yellow…He-he, god cards, LOL!) He took out both books, then looked at the blue one and read the title out loud.
 
“Ripley's Believe it or not: Special Edition 2005. Hey, da latest copy!”
 
He flipped through the pages and came across a page entitled `Extra! Extra!', which had a lot of stories enclosed in either blue or green squares. He glanced at the lower right and read the entry.
 
For Pet-icular Pets (CT)
Animal Manors, a company in New York, builds custom made pet houses, including a French chateau that sells for $8,047 - a bargain when you compare it to a bejeweled Egyptian temple priced at $124,000.
 
`$124,000?!?! That'sa load on Yami's wallet!!' Joey thought, chuckling to himself. Just then, Yugi came jogging over to him.
 
“I was looking all over for you, Joey! Where did you go to?” Then he noticed the 3 books in Joey's hands. “Joey, the teacher said to do one book report, not three.” He added.
 
“I know, I know. But these books are intrestin', Yugi. Take a look.” Joey said, handing Yugi the red one.
 
Yugi opened the book, puzzled at what got Joey's attention. He looked down and read the entries on the page.
 
Did You Know… (Both are CT)
that Komodo dragon saliva may hold the key to surviving biological warfare? These lizards are immune to one another's poisonous saliva. Researcher Terry Fredeking is studying the venom to discover the secret of its disease-preventing properties.
 
That entry was interesting to Yugi, but not as interesting as the one below it.
 
…that the eye of the Egyptian god Horus was an ancient symbol of protection and healing, and is the source of the sign Rx, used by modern physicians on prescriptions?
 
=No wonder I thought that that Rx symbol looked familiar…= Yami commented through Mind link.
 
Yugi laughed as Kaiba strode over to them.
 
“Will you stop running away from me??” He asked angrily.
 
Joey looked bewildered. “Wha' happened wit' `im?” He asked.
 
Yugi sweat dropped. “Well…”
 
~Flashback~
 
Yugi was looking through the spaces of the books in search of Joey. “Where could he have gone??” He asked himself.
 
“Perhaps he went to the pet care section to look up which dog food is tastiest.” Kaiba said out loud.
 
Yami switched with Yugi. “You know what?” He asked. “I'm getting sick and tired of you insulting Joey like that. Isn't there anything more appealing to you??”
 
“Well, I would love to get Silfer the Sky Dragon from you.” Kaiba replied with a sneer.
 
“How about we bet on something?” Yami offered.
 
“What are you proposing?”
 
“You'll be our friend for two weeks, that means no insults, no arrogant gestures and especially no brawls and `mutt' comments to Joey. If you can do that, I'll give Silfer to you, no strings attached.”
 
“And what If I don't complete the two weeks?” Kaiba inquired.
 
“Then we duel. But, I'll duel you with a completely new deck; no familiar cards whatsoever. If I win, you be our friend indefinitely. If you win, I'll still give Silfer to you. Deal??”
 
Kaiba thought it over, and agreed.
 
“Just remember what you agreed upon.” He warned.
 
~End Flashback~
 
“Whoa, so rich boy's our friend now?? That's sumthin' new.” Joey complimented, patting Kaiba on the back.
 
Kaiba just closed his eyes and started mumbling to himself.
 
Yugi removed Joey's hand. “It's best not to go too strong, Joey. He may be our friend for now, but I think he still likes his personal space…” He warned. Joey saw Kaiba nod in agreement.
 
“Oh, sorry `bout that. Anyway, I want ya to see sumthin'.” He said, handing the blue book to Kaiba.
 
Bewildered, Kaiba accepted the book, opened it and looked at the page he opened to. It was entitled `Money Madness'. One picture caught his attention. It was a picture of a girl inside a float shaped like a giant shoe. He then read the entry next to the picture.
 
Made of Money(CT)
In 1930, a 10-foot-long, 8-foot-high shoe made with six million shredded one-dollar bills that had been taken out of circulation was used as a float in an American Legion parade in Boston, Massachusetts.
 
Kaiba shook his head. “Even if they were out of circulation, that's a waste of money.” He said.
 
“Heh, why am I not surprised you opened to the money page.” Joey said, testing how far Kaiba's willing to go to get Silfer.
 
“Can it, Joey.” Was all he got as a reply.
 
Yugi spoke up. “Hey guys, didn't you notice the colors of these books?” He asked.
 
“Ya, one's blue, one's yella and one's red. So wat's ya point, Yuge?” Joey asked.
 
“Three books, three colors, three people…” Yugi said, egging them on.
 
Then it dawned on Kaiba.
 
“The three God Cards!!” He said. (Told you so! LOLZ)
 
“Yeah, now that ya mention it…” Joey said, flipping over the yellow one to see the title.
 
Guinness World Records 2005: Special 50thAnniversary Edition
 
“Here's an idea! How `bout we each take one?” He said.
 
“Good idea, since I've got Obelisk, I'll take the blue one.” Kaiba offered, giving a look to Yugi that clearly said: `It won't be my only one for long…'
 
“Cool, I gotta compliment from rich boy! Anywhoo, since I'm blonde, I'll take da yella one.” Joey said, shoving the book under his arm.
 
“Well that leaves me with the red one…” Yugi said.
 
Then they all check out the books and went their separate ways.
 
#^#^#^#^#^#^#^#^#^#^#^#^#^#^#^#^#^#^#^#^#^#^#^#^
 
Sonja: Phew! That was a load off my hands!!!!
 
Jake: What do you mean by that??
 
Sonja: 2 of the 3 books were hardbound.
 
Jake Oh…
 
Sonja: Anyway, If you like, Review!!!!
 
Jake: C'ya!!!