Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ The Duel of the Century ❯ One-Shot

[ A - All Readers ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Yu-Gi-Oh!, I just write about it. Kazuki Takahashi is the guy that actually owns it. Go talk to him. Oh, and severe apologies to Hasbro and Milton Bradley for this one.

Warnings: Still dub.

The Duel of the Century


It was a bright, sunny, clear day in Domino City. However, a storm was brewing in the cafeteria of Domino City Highschool. Seto Kaiba had just challenged Yugi Mutou to another rematch. A crowd of students gathered around to watch them square off.

"This is it, Yugi!" Seto announced threateningly. "This is where I finally prove to everyone that I am the far superior duelist! Are you ready to lose?"

"I accept your challenge, Kaiba!" replied Yugi, or rather, the disembodied spirt known as Yami who was currently borrowing Yugi's body. "But I would not get too far ahead of myself. You should know by now what happens when you do that."

Seto raised an eyebrow, as he wasn't sure if that was more of his rival's unsolicited advice or a subtle insult. However, he immediately regained his composure so as not to show anyone his confusion. "Enough talk!" he barked. "Let's just get this duel started already so I can finally defeat you!"

The battlefield had already been set up. The duelists took their positions on either side of the playing field. The audience watched with bated breath.

The two rivals stared each other right in the eye. "Let's duel!" they shouted simultaneously.

Then, they bent over the playing field and began furiously slamming on the little black levers that controlled the mouths of their respective Hungry, Hungry Hippos.

The battle was fierce. Yami's pink Hippo and Seto's orange hippo voraciously gobbled up all the white marbles on the playing field. However, the "duel" was very close - too close. Both players wound up with the same amount of marbles - except for one. A single marble was still wandering around out on the playing field, waiting to be snatched up by a hippo. But which one?

Seto pounded furiously on his hippo's lever, trying to grab that last marble. However the marble kept rolling off to the sides, just out of reach. He kept on hitting the lever in hopes that his hippo would immediately grab the marble if it came close enough.

As luck would have it, the marble started to roll his way! Seto continued slamming down on the lever with his palm, hoping to snatch it. Unfortunately, Yami deftly snatched it out from under him with a single push of his lever. The audience cheered.

"I win, Kaiba," the Pharaoh said, matter-of-factly.

"NO!" Seto cried. "This can't be happening! I can't even beat you at an easy game like this?!"

"Our skills were about even," Yami said. "But if you had shown more respect for your old game, you probably would have been able to beat me. You were pounding on it so hard, it's a wonder you didn't break it."

"Oh, great," Kaiba growled. "Don't tell me you're going to give me a lecture on the 'Heart of the Hippos' now."

This got a giggle from the audience members that hadn't left yet. Seto gave them an icy glare, which immediately stopped their laughter.

"No, I won't do that," Yami replied. "But I will say that you still have a lot to learn about dueling - even when you're not dueling with cards."

The bell abruptly ended the duelists' argument. Yami got up and left without a word. Seto angrily packed away his old game and stormed out of the cafeteria.

This isn't over, Yugi, he thought as he walked towards his locker. Just wait till I dig up my old Operation game...then we'll see who's the best duelist!

He chuckled ominously to himself as he continued on down the hallway.

END !