Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ The neverending story ❯ It starts ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

“The kids are already in the bed and have eaten, so you don't have to worry about them being up. There's a trail out the back door to my nephew, Mitchell's house. If you need anything run over there. The alarm code is 4556, very easy. The kitchen is open to anything you'd like. Emergency numbers are on the refrigerator, if there's anything you need, call us.” Kai nodded.
“Thank you.”
“No, thank you.” The woman walked out, her husband following closely behind. Isis sighed, looking at the house around her as she heard the car pull off. The house was modeled like a dojo, but so much more extravagant. Most of the walls were made of glass, looking out in their big dark yard. A pool with a little brown bridge and plants around it sat right outside in the middle of the house. Stairs without a rail led upstairs. She waltzed into the living room and sat down on the couch. She pulled out her books and began working. RING! RING! RING! She rushed to the cordless phone.
“Hello?…Hello?” She heard harsh breathing on the other end and she hung up. “Ok, whatever.” Kai rolled her eyes, sitting back down. Her work slowly became boring and she laid down, her eyes drifting close. RING! RING! RING! She picked it up slowly.
“Hello?”
“Hello.” A dark voice came from the other end and Kai sat up.
“Who is this?” Click. Kai hung it up and stood up as she heard something fall over. She walked to the beginning of the halls, grabbing a poker from the can of tools for the fireplace. The phone rang again.
“Hello?”
“………”
“Hello?….Who is this?”
“……”
“Talk!” Click. Kai growled and cautiously walked towards the kitchen. She saw a figure by the counter and she turned the lights on. Their black cat Jasmine looked up at her, purring.
“Jazzy!” Kai walked to the fridge pulling out a popsicle. It had been an hour…probably more since they left. A paper fluttered against the door as she closed it.
“Oh! Emergency numbers.” She called one.
“Hello, this is Mr. Hatchet, Sorry I cannot come to the phone right now but-” Kai hung up.
“It's ok! You are a senior; a big girl, you…can do this.” She went back to the couch as the phone rang.
“Hello? Hatchet resident.”
“You're a hatchet?” The dark voice whispered curiously.
“Who are you!?” Click. Kai laid her popsicle down on a napkin on the table as the doorbell rang. She ran to it, looking through the peephole. Mai stood there twirling her hair around her finger. Kai opened the door, crossing her arms.
“Hey Kai!” She pushed past her, checking out the house. “Wow! This house is amazing!”
“What are you doing here?” Kai said, her irritation slightly slipping into her veins.
“OH Natalie wanted me to drop by and talk you into coming to the bonfire.” Kai rolled her eyes.
“Sure.” She headed for the living room.
“Look, I know you're mad about the whole kiss thing, but it wasn't that long and I've been liking him since forever.” Kai sat down.
“Yah, ok, whatever. I don't care.” Mai sighed sitting a chair.
“But you know I'm just a hormone enraged asshole slut that just can't pass up an opportunity.” A smile crept onto Kai's face. “Kai please forgive me. I'll never kiss him again! In plus, he doesn't like me like that anyways, he made that clear. And I'll try to stop drinking!” Kai's smile widened.
“Fine, I guess you HAVE been liking him forever anyways.” Mai giggled
“So let's celebrate.” She went to the minibar and got out a large bottle of tequila.
“My favorite! I like this family!”
“What happened to trying to quit?”
“Operative word being trying. I didn't say when.”
“Come on Mai, time to go.” Mai sighed laughingly as she placed the bottle on the table.
“Come with me! The brats are sleeping you know the alarm code I'm pretty sure. Just come for a little while and I'll drop you back off when you're ready!”
“I can't Mai!” Mai huffed.
“Fine! See ya Monday!”
“Yah.” Kai slowed the door and went back to the living room. Mai raced to her car as the wind blew harshly. She fumbled in her purse for her keys. They dropped out under the car and she looked around.
“Dang it!” She dropped to her knees, stretching out for the keys. Her ring finer slip through the key ring and she jerked them towards her. Rustling in the bushes made her jump in the car quicker and she locked the doors, trying to control her breathing, her fingers slightly shivering. She put the key ignition. Vroom, Vroom…it sputtered then died. Mai slapped the steering wheel and tried it again. It's rusty cough came only in return.
“NO! NOT NOW!!” Hs screeched, shaking the steering wheel, her hair flying crazy. “Ok Mai…chill.” She breathed in and started the car again. It hummed to life and she backed up quickly. A huge branch lay across the driveway, too big to drive over and too long to drive around.
“Crap, crap, crap, CRAP!” She sat there thinking about what to do. She slid her fingers over the unlock button and got out. She tripped on something and plummeted to the ground.
“My Dolce and Gabana hoodie!” she whined as she started moving the branch. In a struggling 2 minuets, she finally moved it out of the way. She jumped back in the car, locking the door and sighing happily.
“Great. Now I can get out of this creepy place.” She fixed her rearview mirror to seem a dark figure sitting in the back seat. She screamed fumbling for the unlock button as strong hands wrapped around her.