Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ The Power of Love ❯ The Fight for Survival ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Recap: Malik, Joey and Ryou got a little more acquainted with their new owners. The three former slaves then learned a little bit about the sinister people of the northern kingdom. But the northern kingdom wasn't the only problem because a potential catastrophic disaster prepared to strike the Roman kingdom. The problem was so over the kingdom's head that a messenger was sent to ask for Yami's help. Yami went to help the Romans, but the northern kingdom attacked the southern kingdom the next day. Even though the southern kingdom did well against the northern kingdom, not everyone was accounted for in the end. Yugi was captured while everyone else was focused on the outside battle.
' is thoughts






Chapter 5: The Fight for Survival

Yugi had just escaped from the northern kingdom's dungeon. The men that brought him to the kingdom whipped him while he was wearing the energy shackles. But one of the guards didn't think and removed the shackles, thinking that Yugi was defenseless.

That proved to be wrong as Yugi grabbed the whip and sent his Shadow Magic through the whip. He knocked the guard unconscious and made his escape. But the lashes from when he was first whipped were pretty deep and were starting to badly bleed. He could only try to stay out of sight until his father came becaues he knew that he wouldn't be able to fight as well with his serious back injury for long.

The fight with the evil army men and the serious wounds to his back really zapped his strength. He only had enough energy to knock the guard unconscious and escape. He didn't have the strength to summon Mystica or any of his father's monsters to help him.

'My only chance is to stay out of sight. I don't know how long I can fight with my serious injury. I hope that daddy makes it in time,' Yugi thought.

Meanwhile, Yami was streaking through the sky towards the northern kingdom. He still had quite a bit of ground to cover before he reached the evil kingdom, but he was determined to rescue his son. His eyes shone with fierce determination. 'I hope that Yugi will be all right until I arrive. I sense that he's badly hurt. If only he could summon Mystica. I know; I'll do it for him,' he thought. "Mystica, I need you," he called out.

A blue portal appeared in the air. Mystica flew out of it before it disappeared. She flew beside Yami.

"What do you need my lord?" Mystica asked.

"I need you to go ahead of me to the northern kingdom. Find Yugi and heal him. I sense that he's badly hurt," Yami said. He was so focused on his son being healed that the thought of just teleporting to the kingdom never even crossed his mind.

"Yes my lord," Mystica said before disappearing in a flash of light. She appeared outside the kingdom's walls. She could feel Yugi's presence nearby.

True Yugi had Shadow Magic flowing through him now, but his innocence always shone like a star. He was the only innocent person in the evil kingdom. She disappeared again and reappeared in front of Yugi. Yugi was very glad to see Mystica.

"You have no idea how glad I am to see you Mystica," Yugi said.

"I'm glad to see you too. Your father sent me to find you. Now I'll tend to your injury," Mystica said before she began to chant.

The whiplashes in Yugi's back began to mend. Soon, his back was completely healed. His energy was also restored. He stood up without pain. He then walked up and hugged Mystica.

"Thank you Mystica. Now I have a fighting chance here," Yugi said.

"You're always welcome young master. Be very careful. Your father is on his way," Mystica said.

"I will," Yugi said before Mystica returned to the Shadow Realm in a flash of blue light.

It was a good thing that Mystica found and healed Yugi. At that moment, the guards were out looking for Yugi. They saw the flash of blue light and went to investigate. Upon arriving where they saw it, the found Yugi standing there completely healed.

"How is your back healed? We felt how weak you were. We know that you didn't have the strength to summon a Shadow Monster who knew how to heal," the guards said.

"That's my secret," Yugi said defiantly.

The guards quickly surrounded Yugi. They snapped their whips, ready to strike Yugi from all sides. Yugi simply increased his Shadow aura. The dark energy surrounded him a few seconds before the guards struck. The whips melted away on contact with the dark energy. Yugi then closed his eyes and focused on his power.

The aura expanded until it engulfed the guards. The guards screamed in pain. To them, the aura felt like thousands of razor sharp needles sticking into their skin. But their screams weren't heard. They eventually fainted from the pain. Yugi moved on through the evil kingdom, looking for somewhere that would keep him out of sight.

'I never liked the idea of killing. Even though the guards tried to kill me, I'm glad that Mystica healed me and restored my strength so I could defend myself. Those whips striking at once would've killed me,' Yugi thought. He felt a little drained of energy after launching that attack on the guards. 'That counterattack used more energy than I thought. I have to keep from using that much energy unless I truly have to.' He didn't know that that would happen sooner than he thought.

The three evil army men that brought Yugi in found the guard unconsciouis in the dungeon. It was obvious that the guy removed the energy shackles, thinking that Yugi was defenseless. The guy had learned the hard way to never underestimate your opponent.

"Well, it looks like we have to bring the prince back in," the first man said.

"Why not just kill him and report back to Pharaoh Rameus?" the second man asked.

"Even though our king is going to have the young prince killed anyway, it would be better if the young prince is brought back here," the first man responded.

"That's right. I want him brought back here alive so I can decide how he dies," another voice said.

The three men looked back to see Rameus standing in the doorway. "Yes Pharaoh," they said.

"Now bring the young one back to me," Rameus said.

"Yes my pharaoh," the third man said before he and the other two left to find Yugi. "The prince won't stand a chance against us. We really outclassed him."

"We sure did. Let's hope that the battle will be quick. I can sense that he's been healed," the first man said.

"But how?" the second man asked.

"I don't know. But I intend to find out," the first man responded.

They soon came across more unconscious guards on the ground. Obviously, the prince had dealt with them. Speaking of the prince, Yugi had dealt with a dozen more guards. He was feeling pretty weakened because he used a considerable amount of power. Fortunately, he had found an area of the kingdom that no one had ever been in. He could rest there.

Meanwhile, the three evil army men found more of Yugi's handiwork. They were even more determined to turn the boy prince in to their pharaoh. They aslso knew that it was just a matter of time until it happened. They thought of dozens of death possibilities for the prince.

The hours rolled by. Nightfall came quicker than anyone expected, but it was a good thing for Yugi. He was still pretty exhausted after using a great amount of power to deal with the guards. He slept peacefully this night. Yami still flew on strong. He would not give up unti Yugi was safe at home. There were no incidents in the northern kingdom tonight, giving Yugi the chance to fully rest and regain his energy. He woke up fully refreshed the next morning.

But trouble was rapidly approaching. The three evil army men who brought Yugi to the northern kingdom were back on the trail. Yugi managed to find some fruit trees. He climbed the tree and picked some of the fruit. He ate in the tree and climbed back down when he finished. He then moved on.

Meanwhile, Yami was closing in on the northern kingdom. Because he was an angel, he didn't need to rest. He was only a day away from the kingdom now. 'Just hang in there Yugi,' he thought as he flew on.

Meanwhile, the inevitable battle with the evil army men had finally come into play. They had the stroke of luck to run into Yugi. An intense battle had raged on. But Yugi had the advantage this time for now. He could summon Mystio to help him.

"Mystio, come to my aid. Help me fight off these evil men," Yugi called out.

A beam of purple light shone into the sky. Mystio then stepped out of it. His eyes narrowed at the sight of the evil men and he gripped his staff tighter. Mystia told him what happened, and he wasn't going to let the evil men succeed in capturing his young master again.

"You won't succeed even with the Dark Magician helping you," one of the evil men said.

"I have a trump card this time. And I'm not afraid to use it," Yugi said.

The evil army men fired dark beams of energy at Yugi, but Mystio easily cancelled them out. Yugi then summoned Mystia. Because Mystio was here this time, Mystia felt a power boost. She then joined Mystio in the battle against the evil army men. Mystio and Mystia had the full attention of two of the three-army men. The third man and Yugi engaged in mortal combat.

The evil army man should've had an advantage since he had more training in battle than Yugi did. But what the man didn't know is that Yugi had the two best fighters in all of Egypt has his personal trainers. Even though Yugi was an eight-year old, he fought like he was in an army.

'How can this little boy be so good in combat?' the man thought angrily.

Yugi then foot swept the man. Then he used a little Shadow Magic to render the man unconscious for a good while. Then he went to aid his fellow Shadow Monsters in battle. Mystio and Mystia, who had the advantage at first, were now having trouble. That's because more of the evil army's men had come to help their comrades.

Yugi, Mystio and Mystia were outnumbered 15 to 3 now. But they wouldn't give up. They gave their best shot at facing the evil army. But alas, the large difference in number gave the army a large advantage. The army easily began to wear down Yugi, Mystio and Mystia.

"We can't keep this up much longer," Mystia said.

"It seems like now is a good time to use my trump card," Yugi said. He then stood in between Mystio and Mystia before placing his arms out a little and to either side of him.

A circle with a star inside it appeared under Yugi's feet. Mystio and Mystia knew what Yugi planned to do as soon as the symbol appeared. They feared for their young master's life.

"Don't do this little master. It's too risky. We don't know if you're strong enough yet," Mystia said.

"It's the only chance we've got against all these guys Mystia," Yugi said. He then looked towards the sky. "O great leader of the gods, I summon thee. Help my friends and me to defeat this evil army. Exodia, come to my aid," he added.

The symbol beneath Yugi's feet then went into the air. Exodia slowly began to form in the mortal realm. The first thing to come was his legs, then his body before the arms. Finally, Exodia's head formed on the body. The mighty god stood before the evil army men. The men cowered in fear upon looking at Exodia.

"How could he summon Exodia?" one of the evil men asked.

"The bigger question is how can we fight against him?" a second army man asked.

The men couldn't see Yugi straining. He didn't have a problem with summoning Mystio and Mystia, but summoning Exodia had taken a lot more energy than he thought. Mystio and Mystia immediately knew what was going on. Yugi wasn't strong enough to keep Exodia in the mortal realm for long. Exodia also sensed this.

'I must act quickly. The young master doesn't have the energy to sustain me in the mortal realm for a long period of time yet,' Exodia thought. He then formed the Obliterate attack before sending it at the men.

The men couldn't get out of the large attack's path and were killed the moment the attack hit. It was a good thing too because Exodia then went back to the Shadow Realm. But there was a bigger concern to deal with now. Yugi's physical and Shadow energy were dangerously low.

'Exodia took a lot more energy than I thought it would take, he thought as he watched Mystio and Mystia disappear back into the Shadow Realm as well. He then passed out from overexterting his energy.

Unfortunately, that was just the opportunity that a certain evil ruler was looking for. Rameus had seen Yugi summon Exodia. He knew that he young prince didn't have the necessary energy to keep Exodia in the mortal realm for long. 'Perfect. Now I can take him without any struggle,' he thought. He took Yugi back to the dungeon.

Meanwhile, Yami had sensed his son's plight. 'Oh Yugi, why did you summon Exodia? As you found out, you weren't strong enough to be able to sustain him yet,' he thought. He was more determined than ever to reach his son now.

Meanwhile, Yugi awakened to find himself in the dungeon again. He saw that it was nighttime. He felt shackles around his wrists and ankles again. He figured that someone else must've been near the area and took advantage of his loosing consciousness. He still felt extremely weak from trying to sustain Exodia. 'At least I know not to do that again until I'm strong enough,' he thought.

Then, Pharaoh Rameus came into the dungeon. He stopped when he was in front of Yugi. "Your little escape attempt has failed because you were foolish enough to summon Exodia. Even I felt that you weren't strong enough to handle him yet. As far as your fate, you will be hanged at dawn on Deadman's Cliff. Even if someone does manage to cut the rope before you die, you'll still die after hitting the razor sharp rocks at the bottom of the cliff," he said before going out of the dungeon.

Yugi tried to get into as comfortable of a position as he could, considering the shackles that bound him. He closed his eyes and tried to get some sleep. Some of his energy would be replenished, but ti would take at least three days for his energy to be completely restored. That was the consequence of trying to summon a monster that you couldn't sustain.

Meanwhile, Yami was closing the gap. He was almost there now. He only had an hour's travel left. He couldn't stop worrying about Yugi. 'Just hang in there a little longer my son. I'm almost there. I'll get you out of that evil place soon,' he thought.

The hour went by quick. Yami landed outside the kingdom before walking in. He magically hid his wings for the time being. He walked through the kingdom cautiously. Fortunately, Yami knew where the dungeon was because he had to visit at least once a year during the truce, even though he didn't want to. The northern kingdom was still a bad place to be even during the truce. How the people kept the truce for ten years even though they were very corrupt was a mystery that hasn't been solved to this day.

Unfortunately, one of the elite force men happened to be scouring about. He soon saw Yami. "So, the father has finally arrived. It was fun seeing your son's agony. His screams of pain were music to our ears. Pharaoh Rameus has ordered his death by matters of hanging at Deadman's Cliff once the sun begins to rise. It is my and my comrades' orders to keep you from saving your precious little prince," the man said.

Yami just narrowed his eyes. He didn't have time to be tangling with the northern kingdom's army. He had to get his son out of the dungeon as quickly as possible.

"Prepare to die Pharaoh Yami," the evil mand said as he lunged, sword at the ready.

Yami simply grabbed the sword and ripped it from the elite man's grasp. Then he broke the sword over his knee. "I don't have time to deal with you so I'll make this quick," he said.

"It will be as long as I want it to be," the man said before taking a seashell from his pack and blowing it for a few moments. "I just gave the warning signal. The entire army will be here in seconds," he said.

"I can take on all the armies of the world if I had to. Nothing will stop me from getting to my son. You'll be the first to find out," Yami said as the Eye of Horus shone brightly on his crown. "If your pharaoh hadn't broken the truce, it would've kept me from doing this.

But now I have unlimited ability to used this here," he said as the eye shone even brighter. He stretched out his hand, palm facing the evil man. "You've hurt innocent people besides my son for far too long and now the punishment is eternity in the Shadow Realm. Mind Crush!"

The evil man screamed as the dark energy ripped through his mind. He fell to the ground in a lifeless heap; his soul forever trapped in the Shadow Realm. Just then, the rest of the kingdom's army had arrived. They immediately went on the offensive upon seeing Yami.

'Well, the man will possibly have some company in the Shadow Realm,' Yami thought before preparing to fight. He knew that he had to do this as quickly as possible because there were only four more hours until dawn.

Some of the evil men threw daggers at Yami. Yami just let them come at him. The daggers bounced off him like a rubber ball bounces off a wall. Seeing that made the evil men very nervous. Yami simply smirked at their reaction.

"That only tickled," Yami said.

"No way!" the army men shouted in disbelief.

"Yes way. Nothing you do will be able to kill me anymore," Yami said.

"You're bluffing," one of the men said.

"I'm afraid that I'm not bluffing," Yami said before his face became stony. "I already sent one of your men to the Shadow Realm. Are you foolish enough to want to join him?"

Then a dozen men lunged for Yami. They attempted to grab him, but only felt open air instead. "Where did he go?" they all asked.

"Why don't you bozos look up?" a deep voice asked.

All the men looked up and grew scared upon what they saw. Yami had wings and was hovering in the air. But then Yami felt an energy decline coming from Yugi. In Yami's distraction, the men fired their Shadow Magic at him. Yami felt himself in a large Shadow net. He just smirked all the same.

"You think that you can hold me in this weak thing?" Yami asked.

"I'd like to see you try to break out of there. Every one of us put our magic into the net, making it a lot stronger," another evil man said.

"As you wish," Yami said, never loosing the smirk. He widened his eyes, and a slit began to form in the net.

The slit became larger and larger until it was a big hole. Yami then flew out of the hole in the Shadow net. The men became terrified upon seeing that. Yami had gotten out of that net like it was child's play.

"I told you that what you do is pointless against me. But it's time for this game to come to an end," Yami said as his face became stony again.

One of the men lunged at Yami in desperation to kill him. Yami held his arm out; his palm faced the man. The eye on his crown shone bright.

"Mind Crush!" Yami shouted.

The man screamed for a few seconds before falling lifelessly to the ground.

"Anyone else wants to try me?" Yami asked in challenge.

The other men simply retreated in response. There was no way the were going to do anything else to a proven unstoppable foe. Yami then made his way to the dungeon to free his son. But Yugi's death date would occur sooner than Yami thought.

One of the evil army men had reported to Rameus. Utterly displeased, Ramues increased the energy of the energy shackles around Yugi and took him towards Deadman's Cliff. It was now a race against time. Yami had gone through the dungeon to find Yugi not there. But there was a note in the cell that Yugi was in.

The note read: If you are now reading this note, it means that you're too late to save your son because I am on my way to Deadman's Cliff. Unknown to you, one of my men told me of your quicker than expected arrival. I decided to kill your son before dawn. Rameus

'I've got to hurry,' Yami thought. He quickly made his way out of the dungeon. Then he spread his wings and took to the air. 'Rameus has a good head start on me. I can quickly gain on him by traveling through the Shadow Realm.' He then opened a passageway to the Shadow Realm.

Meanwhile, Rameus was almost at Deadman's Cliff. He had only an hour's travel left. He knew that Yami wouldn't catch up in time. "Your life will soon be over. There's no way your father can catch up to me now,"he said.

"Don't underestimate my father. He'll find a way to get here in time," Yugi said.

"I don't think that's likely since I have a good head start over him," Rameus said. He didn't know that his head start had just been seriously cut down.

By traveling through the Shadow Realm, Yami had almost completely closed the distance between him and Rameus. It was only a matter of time before Yami completely caught up to Rameus. 'I'm almost there,' he thought. He would have to hurry though.

Rameus had made it to Deadman's Cliff. He then made a noose out of one end of the rope before putting it around Yugi's neck. He was about to tie the other end of the rope around the tree.

"Hold it right there!" a familiar deep voice shouted.

Rameus turned and saw Yami a few yards behind him. "How did you catch up to me this fast? I had a large head start on you," he said.

"I traveled through the Shadow Realm," Yami said. "You will not kill my son."

Rameus smirked. "Oh really? How can you save him if I were to do this?" he asked before pushing Yugi off the cliff's edge.

"Yugi!" Yami cried. He ran to the cliff's edge and dove off it.

Rameus's smirk grew wider. "You are a fool Yami!"

Meanwhile, Yami had already spread his wings and continued diving after Yugi. A few moments later, Yami caught his son Bridal style. Then he broke the dive and began flying back up. "Are you all right Yugi?" he asked.

"I am now that you're here daddy," Yugi responded.

"Now, let's get those shackles off you," Yami said. He narrowed his eyes, and the energy shackles and the rope around Yugi melted away. "How do you feel?" he asked.

"Some of my energy is returning. But I still feel very drained," Yugi responded.

Yami was soon above the cliff. Rameus was very surprised upon seeing that Yami had wings. But the shock soon turned to anger.

"How come you're still alive even though you have wings?" Rameus asked.

"Your spy did manage to put that fatal poison in me. But Ra sent an angel to help me. The only way to save my lifee was for the angel to merge with me, which she did. I can no longer be hurt or killed, and I will do all in my power to keep you from killing my son," Yami said before heading back to his kingdom. He suddenly realized that he could've prevented everything that happened if he would've just teleported. He mentally kicked himself for not knowing this sooner before teleporting back to the southern kingdom.

Seth, Isis, Ryou and Bakura were outside the palace. Ryou had just finished his work in the garden and was taking a little break right now. He was still very worried about Yugi. All the good people in the kingdom were worried about their young master. They prayed to the gods that their little prince would be brought back safely. Suddenly, they saw a black and violet light form.

When the light dimmed out, Yami was standing there with Yugi still in his arms. Ryou, Bakura, Seth and Isis quickly crowded around Yami. They coud see that Yugi was sleeping. They were very thankful that their little prince had been brought back safely.

"Will Yugi be all right?" Ryou asked.

"Yes Ryou, he'll be fine. He'll need a good rest for three days, but he'll be all right," Yami responded. Then he went inside the palace. He went into his room and placed Yugi on the bed. He then brought the sheets up to Yugi's chin and kissed Yugi's forehead. "Rest well my son," he said.


Well, another chapter of this fic finally bites the dust. Sorry for the wait. It's just that I was too preoccupied with another story that I'm writing. Also, things are coming down to the wire at school for me. Moving right along, preview for Chapter 6: The Escape: For seven years, Pomidaeus has been serving time in the southern kingdom's dungeon. But an unintentional mistake on a guard's part gives her the opportunity that she's been hoping for. She's out for revenge and targets Yugi. Will Pomidaeus be successful her plot? You'll have to stay tuned to find out.

For all you Digimon readers who are still waiting for An Old Digimon's Vengeance to be updated, I'm about halfway done with the next chapter of the story and will update it as soon as I'm done with it. So be on the lookout for it. I will update the next chapter to An Enemy's Friendship after An Old Digimon's Vengeance is updated.