Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ The Reason (I Must Leave You) ❯ One-Shot

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Yu-Gi-Oh!
A/N: I know I haven't written anything for a while, but I came to a writer's block in my latest story. While I was almost ready to break it, there was an unexpected tragedy IRL as a close family friend's son committed suicide and I found it hard to write angst afterward. That story is going on the back burner for a bit until I can get over this, but I needed to do something to get my mind off things. I do apologize if this isn't very good. I wrote it in an hour.
Warnings: Contains spoilers to the end of the series!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Aibou.." Atemu's voice stayed strong, yet still held an air of wavering sadness.
Yugi got to his feet, crystalline droplets still rolling down his cheeks as he looked at his darkness. The duel was over and Yugi had won.
It was time to go. This was goodbye.
A sob escaped the boy's lips as he tried to compose himself. He had not wanted this to happen at all! He wanted his other half to stay with him forever!
Atemu softly thumbed away a few of the fallen tears upon his light's face, smiling down softly.
//.. Yugi.. My little aibou.. Please don't cry for me. You won our duel and winner's shouldn't cry//
//B-But I don't w-want you to go!//
//I know, Yugi, I can no longer stay here. You have become so much stronger now//
//You were the one that did that, Yami! I'm weak without you!//
The taller lowered his head very softly and closed his eyes.
//Aibou.. I was needed in the beginning, but now you have your friends by your side//
Stifling another sob, Yugi closed his own eyes and let the tears spill once more.
//You were the one that helped me find those friends, Yami.. When I made that wish upon the puzzle//
Atemu made a soft, almost regretful sigh.
//Yes, Yugi.. However, I hurt many people back then.. You helped me find the goodness within myself that I thought I had lost, but.. even then.. I still managed to forget that and hurt you..//
I'm not a perfect person, there's many things I wish I didn't do. But I continue learning, I never meant to do those things to you. And so I have to say before I go, that I just want you to know. I found a reason for me, to change who I used to be. A reason to start over new. And the reason is you.
//But I forgive you, Yami! You saved me!.. You never stopped until you could rescue me//
//I know, aibou.. But I took you for granted then and didn't realize my mistake until it was too late and almost lost you forever... I was lucky then//
I'm sorry that I hurt you. It's something I must live with every day. And all the pain I put you through, I wish I could take it all away, and be the one who catches all your tears. That's why I need you to hear. I found a reason for me, to change who I used to be. A reason to start over new. And the reason is you. And the reason is you. And the reason is you. And the reason is you.
The young, tri-colored haired boy sniffled weakly and wiped at his eyes with his sleeve.
//.. Yami..//
//Yugi.. You are the lighter half of my soul and what has kept me from the darkness that had shadowed my heart for so long.. I will always be with you in memories, but now it is time that you move on and stay with your friends//
I'm not a perfect person. I never meant to do those things to you. And so I have to say before I go, that I just want you to know. I found a reason for me. To change who I used be. A reason to start over new. And the reason is you.
Yugi bit his trembling bottom lip as he looked up into crimson eyes for one last time. If this was goodbye, then he would let his other half know that he would always be missed.
//.. I love you,.. my darkness...//
Atemu's eyes widened slightly, but softened into a sad smile. Small beads of moisture began to well in his eyes. He caressed the little one's cheek tenderly.
//.. So do I, my little hikari..//
I found a reason to show, a side of me you didn't know. A reason for all that I do. And the reason is you.
The spirit turned slowly as he approached the door to the afterlife and gave one last, longing look to the small boy he had shared a body and mind for so many years.
//.. Farewell, Aibou..//
With a force, warm smile, Atemu stepped into the blinding light.
Yugi stood staring at the stone door as it shut. A large particularly large tear fell to his feet.
//.. Goodbye, Yami..//
Soon after the ancient pharaoh left, the tomb began to crumble and forced everyone to flee for their safety.
They went their separate ways afterward and returned to their normal lives. Yugi and their friends felt that their friendship circle was missing a small piece now, but tried to accept that it was an inevitability.
The shortest teen took it hardest, but tried to find some healing within his friends. Joey, Tristan, and Teá never said anything about it, but would often catch Yugi gazing skyward, lost somewhere in his own mind.
"C'mon, Yug! We're gonna be late," the blonde called.
A head turned back and gave a gentle smile before Yugi hurried to catch up with his friends.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Ishizu? Are you ready to go?"
"Yes, Marik. Thank you for not taking your motorcycle.. Just remember to be careful," the Egyptian woman said in her gentle voice and carefully sat herself inside the car.
"Of course, sister. I'm not going to chance screwing anything this important up," Marik started the car and drove carefully through the streets.
The trip was silent as they pulled into the doctor's office parking lot and the boy helped his sister out of the car. Before they reached the front door, Marik chuckled softly.
"What's so funny?"
"It's not funny, really, but I was just thinking about all of this.. I mean, since I was the only Ishtar son, I was forced to have the tomb keeper's initiation and was entrusted with the secrets of the Pharaoh upon my back.. But since you're the only Ishtar daughter, you're entrusted with something much more important. At least that's what I think."
Ishizu smiled softly, "That's very kind of you to say, Marik.. But we need to protect this just as our family has the tomb."
"I know, Ishizu. I know."
With a small nod, Ishizu walked inside, Marik holding her arm softly. Her slender fingertips brushed over her swelling stomach and the special life that it carried within.
Fin.