Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ The Twin Pharaohs' Rage ❯ A Quiet Disturbance ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

(Howdy again people! Thanks for coming back! This is where my story officially begins. Having said that, I should probably touch on the story's content. First, this is a rated PG13 fanfic. There'll be the occasional swearing, adult situations, and violence, especially in the later chapters. I want to stay a bit true to the manga so don't expect me to shy away from certain things. LOL. Anywho, rejoice! Yugi and the gang are finally here!)

CHAPTER 1: A Quiet Disturbance

THE BAHARIYA OASIS, EGYPT

The Bahariya Oasis. It's one of the most popular places to travel in Egypt. The landscape, itself, is enough to attract tons of visitors since it looks very surreal. In fact, one could refer it to the surface of the moon. To this day, it hasn't been fully explored and it never stays the same. It always morphs, as if the land has a mind of its own. Back in the day, in the Pharaonic era to be exact, it was a major center for agriculture. It even provided the finest wine around. But violent tribes, the absence of the Roman rule, and the harsh desert sand caused a decline of things.

Nevertheless, every year tourists like to come here with their loved ones. He should know. He's always called in to act as their tour guide. One can't get around the Bahariya Oasis without an authority member to guide. After all, there's the occasional sandstorm. And despite the roads being well paved and such, sometimes they can be cluttered with jagged rocks that are sharp enough to penetrate through any tire. Cell phone service is also a rarity in these necks of the woods. In other words, without a tour guide you're basically screwed. It can get very easy to get frustrated and, worse, very lost.

Being a police officer, Sebek Rashtari doesn't mind helping tourists. He's in his late fifties, a father of five and grandfather of thirteen. His wrinkled skin is a rich dark color, richer than the Black Desert. His height is a mere five feet. He's a bit underweight, but he doesn't mind. In his age, he's happy that he hasn't blown up like a balloon yet. That might be due to him being in the force. His friends advise him to think about retirement but he can't. He loves his work. Without it, he feels like nothing. And unlike his fellow comrades, he certainly whole-heartedly welcomes the new faces coming every year, especially from children. He's happy to see people willing to spend a buck or two to visit this fine place. It makes him proud to be born here. But these days business has been slow. Tourists aren't coming around. There aren't any new faces to greet. It's been awfully quiet… all of it caused by the odd things occurring here lately. Very odd things.

Two of his tires skid a bit as he drives his patrol car in an empty, rocky road. It's an old jeep with worn out paint and a clack-like sound coming from the engine. The jeep is probably as old as he is, but he doesn't care all that much. As long as it can still run he'll continue driving it.

Rashtari slows down, especially when the road starts to ascend uphill. It's raining hard tonight, which is odd for this time of year. The sky, itself, is eerie enough. It has a dark red hue, overwhelming the entire heavens. Rashtari tries not to think of it. He tries to remain focused on the road ahead. But deep down he feels a horrifying sensation run up his spine, straight into the nest of his brain. Frustrated a bit, Rashtari adjusts his glasses, trying to see through the window wipers and incoming rain.

He's been driving for three hours already, heading to the village he was born in: El Bawiti. So far, it's the largest village in the Bahariya Oasis, with around thirty thousand inhabitants. It's a village still connected to its roots. While the town center looks modern, the rest of the village maintains its mud-brick homes. Vast black hills made up of ferruginous quartzite and dolerite surround the village. Growing up there as a child, he was scared of them. They reminded him of gigantic monsters ready to awaken at any time. His fright was heightened when he started to hear bizarre stories concerning those very hills, specifically the temples erected there decades ago. More stories circulated in 1999 when a two thousand year old Greco-Roman cemetery was discovered. It contains thousands of mummies, most bedecked with precious metal. Since the discovery, the site is now known as the Valley of the Golden Mummies. Dinosaur remains have also been found there but some archeologists are saying otherwise. These might not be dinosaurs but some other species. People are speculating that they're the remains of… monsters.

All stories, Rashtari reminds himself as he nears his destination. Then again, he's come out here for that reason alone. Despite the possibility of them being just myths and scary tales, he's come here to investigate a disturbance in El Bawiti. People are reporting sightings of many strangers dressed in black. About ten people have also reported hearing chanting of some kind from the Temple of Falcon, which is above the largest black hill overlooking the village. The local authorities in El Bawiti have no idea what they're dealing with and so far, there haven't been any suspects named. Some officers have even been found dead or missing. This lack of progress was enough to send in the cavalry.

Right now he's going to meet up with the best of the best group of law enforcers around. They're going to check things out, including a dear friend who joined the force the same time he did. He hasn't seen him for years, especially when he decided to leave for Giza to pursue a job there. And a woman. He looks forward to seeing him again, even under these unusual circumstances.

These disturbances don't bother him much. What does bother him, however, is that El Bawiti isn't the only place where strange things are happening. All over Egypt they're getting their share of heavy wind, floods, and even earthquakes. Strange weather. Giza, for instance, has been getting sandstorms on a regular basis. And like them here in the Bahariya Oasis, they're getting rain in odd times of the year. Another odd thing is that these weather conditions have started about the same time the Bahariya Oasis first witnessed its sandstorm two weeks ago. Is it a coincidence? Is there a connection? Or is it just his imagination?

Rashtari finally reaches the top of the hill. To his surprise, he sees many patrol cars parked at the side of the road, near an intersection. All of the officers are standing outside as a group, holding umbrellas and wearing rain jackets as the rain pours down on them. There are about eight of them and they look like the people he was supposed to rendezvous with. Rashtari's eyes widen in surprise when he sees a familiar face among the group of officers. His friend. But why is he here? Weren't they supposed to meet in El Bawiti? He sees the village not that far away, just below the hilly road, but they're still about ten miles away from it. Curious, Rashtari parks his car at the side of the road.

Lighting strikes hard, flashing the entire road and standing figures white. Rashtari makes sure his jacket is secured. Then, from the back seat of his jeep, he retrieves his umbrella. Opening it up, he quickly joins the group of drenched men and women. The force of wind nearly pushes him back but he moves forward anyway.

"Rashtari!" shouts one of the officers when they see him approach.

He pauses and then smiles.

"Khonsu," Rashtari says to his childhood friend.

Khonsu Mohammed is younger than him, in his early thirties. Khonsu's skin is lighter than his and he's slightly taller. His eyes are a sky blue and his facial features are well-built. Handsome. Unlike him, Mohammed wears a pitch-black moustache and beard. He has the look of a man content with his life, even during harsh times.

"What's going on?" Rashtari walks within a foot of Mohammed, looking concerned. "I thought we were going to meet at the town center."

"We were, but we got a call on the radio," he yells back over the wind, "About twenty people have reported seeing those dark figures tonight."

"Again? At the temple?"

"You got it."

"We're thinking of splitting up," another officer injects, a woman with the name Hapi written on her tag. "So far, we have no idea how many of those guys are out there. Some might be in the village."

"Okay," Rashtari says, still a bit confused, "But why didn't you just radio this information? Why are we still here and not there?"

"That's the problem," Mohammed answers, "For some reason, our radios aren't working. I got the reports concerning those strangers half an hour ago. As I came within a few miles of the village hail started coming down. It banged up my car pretty bad. I wanted to radio the harsh weather conditions in but all I got was static. And here's the weird part. It might be a glitch but…"

"But what?"

"My car," he looks at Rashtari very worried. He blinks water out of his eye. "It stopped completely when I reached a mile within the village."

"Mines too," Hapi says.

"Me too," another officer.

Rashtari looks at the other patrol men and women. They all nod.

How strange…

"We decided to head back here," Mohammed continues, "That's when our cars started working again."

"And you tried going back to the village?"

"Many times, but the same damn thing happens."

"Here's the worse part too," Hapi adds, "This storm is getting real nasty. One bolt of electricity almost fried my car and sent me up to meet Ra."

Rashtari digests this information with a steady face. He looks at the road ahead, thinking how long it'll take to arrive at the village. Ten miles. Ah, hell, a little walk couldn't hurt. Well, except for the incoming hail Mohammed just mentioned. Damn.

"All right, there're nine of us," he starts. "Let's have three people at the temple and four groups of two patrolling the north, south, east, and west parts of Bawiti. Agree?"

"Sounds good," Mohammed agrees, nodding his head along with the others. He looks at them all. "We'll have to keep it tight, people. Our radios aren't working properly so stay close to your group. Okay?"

Everyone nods.

"I'll head for the temple," Rashtari starts walking towards his patrol car. "We'll drive as far as our cars can let us go. Then we'll walk from there."

"I'll join you," Mohammed hurries after him. The female officer also follows them.

Mohammed walks to the passenger's side of the car and looks at Rashtari from across, grinning. "You haven't changed one bit, Sebek. The world could be coming to an end and you'll still keep a cool face."

"What do you expect from a man who had to raise five out-of-controlled kids on his own?" he chuckles and enters the car.

"Try giving birth to triplets," Hapi inserts, entering the car and closing her door.

All three buckle their seatbelts, preparing for the rocky ride ahead. Rashtari watches the other officers disband, entering their own cars. He starts to get an awful feeling deep in his stomach; like this might be the last time he'll see them again. He shakes his head, trying to ignore it. He starts up his vehicle and hears a crack of lighting strike the sky. He looks up. So do Mohammed and Hapi. They all realize how alive the sky is tonight. In fact, the sky is becoming a frenzy of thunderbolts. Even more rain comes down. However, the raindrops aren't made of water. They're red…

Rashtari watches the crimson-colored rain splash down on his windshield, dripping streaks of red down the glass. Both Hapi and Mohammed are too horrified to say anything. Could it be… blood?

"May Ra have mercy," Rashtari whispers to himself and begins driving down the road.

***

DOMINO CITY, JAPAN

He tries to move to the left but the six-foot-something guy is too fast and aggressive for him. As a result, the tall young man easily slips to his right side and begins to make his run. Someone shouts `defense'. He ignores it. Instead, like a hawk flying after its prey, he runs as fast as he can towards the guy who slipped past him. His scrawny legs ache as they make the chase. His panting is short and rapid, desperately seeking oxygen in an area full of heat and noise. He can feel his heart pound hard against his chest. He can feel the beads of moistly sweat form over his flushed cheeks and forehead. He tries to wipe it away with his already-drenched shirt, the one that reads 17 and above that number the word, Domino. Yet, his arms are tired. With each step he takes it feels like he's carrying a ten-ton elephant on his back. And at times like this - with his pretty long, yellow highlighted red spiky hair whipping and annoyingly clinging to his face like right now - he wishes he got that haircut after all.

Compared to the six-foot Godzilla he chases after, he's but a midget. And unlike a hawk, he's too clumsy, slow, and weak to actually catch up to his prey. Nevertheless, he's determined. It's not so much as to win. No. There's more than that in life. It's about him doing his best. It's about him doing his damn best against the impossible. He realizes that, in life, one can't win them all. It's the actions one takes to get them where they are that truly matters. At least, that's what his grandfather always told him.

"C'mon, Yugi!" he hears a man yell from across the basketball court. The coach, Coach Gray, wears a sweater, shorts, and a cap. He stands near the bench with a stern look on his face, a notepad in one hand. "Hustle, hustle, hustle!"

Yugi grunts as he runs as fast as he possibly can. However, his opponent is already at the other side of the court. The tall player pauses from his run and lowers his arms, preparing to shoot the ball in his hands into a basket a few feet away.

Yugi freezes, realizing that it's too late. His eyes look above the basketball rim, where the scoreboard is. There's only eleven seconds left on the clock. Near it are the score numbers themselves. Visitors 68. Domino 66. The only chance in winning is to go into overtime and hope they have better shooting than they did during the four quarters of the game. That, or hit a three pointer, which would be a complete miracle. Then again, it's a miracle that they've made it this far.

Yugi wants to close his eyes when he sees the six-footer's feet lift off from the ground, shooting the ball in an upward fashion. Part of him wishes that he misses his shot but this guy has been on fire, even making three three-pointers in the second half. The ball travels upward from the player's hands…

…Only to be blocked by another tall player, one with long and shaggy, dusty blond hair.

"All right, Joey!" Yugi cheers, watching the basketball get slapped back down.

Joey Wheeler… His best friend. To many people, he appears like a ticking time bomb ready to go off. He hardly thinks before he acts and often lets his emotions get the best of him. When they first met, Joey was actually his bully. He pulled awful pranks on him and did terrible things to him. But later, as he got to know him better, he realized that Joey was just a guy with a huge heart underneath it all, trying to hide behind his macho-like attitude. Since they became friends Joey has never abandoned him. He's always watching his back and always is there when he needs him the most.

The entire gym screams, thrilled on Joey's block. Horns blow off and the cheerleaders at the far left side of the gym begin to chant excitingly.

In the bleachers, Yugi sees some familiar faces. At the middle portion of the stands, an old man sits. He may be old but the clothes he wears and that special light coming from his purple eyes reveals a man full of youth still in him yet. His body is short and husky-like. He wears a white sweater and green coveralls. He also wears an orange bandana, worn over his head. Despite his age, his gray hair is wild and full, an indication that he hasn't had a decent haircut for, what, years maybe? He should know. That's his grandfather.

Beside him, two girls sit side-by-side. One has dark brown hair cut short and the other, light brown and long hair. Both hold a hand-made sign in their hands. Go Domino! Tea and Serenity. Friends of his who've come to watch tonight's game. Serenity is Joey's sister. She's completely devoted to her brother and thinks highly of him, even in the face of stupidity. And why not? They've been through so much together. First, the separation of their parents when they were kids. Then, Serenity losing her eyesight. Joey still lives with his often-drunk father but at least Serenity's eyesight is restored. Thanks to him. He raised enough money for her eye surgery from winning second place in a certain tournament.

Tea is a long time friend. But looking at her now, Yugi can't deny the thoughts he has about them… being together in the future. More than just friends. Since he first met her in Elementary school he's had a crush on her. She's so full of energy, so full of life. She knows exactly what to say during those tough times. They've dated before. Went to amusement parks. Watched movies. Ate out. But… she doesn't seem interested in him being her boyfriend. Instead, she seems content with them being just friends. Will it always be like this for them?

Currently, all three cheer. He hears his grandfather scream his name while Tea and Serenity celebrate over Joey's block. Grinning, Yugi turns back to the game to continue cheering for his best friend, but notices that Joey's small victory has to be postponed.

Joey digs after the ball he just blocked while several team players from both sides immediately gang up and fight for it too. On the ground with the weight of many players on him, Joey's hands aggressively manage to reach and grab hold of the ball. The same six-footer he blocked also has a chunk of it. Neither of them is willing to let go of it.

A whistle blows.

"Jump ball!" the game's referee yells.

"Damn," Joey grumbles and finally lets go of the ball, giving the six-footer a stiff look. The six-footer returns the expression.

As the players dispatch to the center of the court, Joey remains on the ground, his knees up and legs spread wide. His hands are placed on his knees and his head is bowed down. He looks beat. Tired. Even his hair is exhausted.

"Hey, that was a great block you made, Joey," Yugi walks up to him. He extends his hand to help his friend up. "This is one game I can't beat you in."

Joey grins and slowly stands. He groans at his aching body and stretches a bit. "Thanks, Yug. But you better watch it. I might beat you in another game too, y' know."

Yugi laughs in agreement, understanding which other game he refers to. "If you play Duel Monsters as excellent as you play basketball then I'm sure even Yami will be scared to duel you."

"Too bad your block wasn't as good as the one I gave in the first quarter," a cocky voice interrupts from behind.

Both Yugi and Joey turn to the source. A tall and lean guy, with brown clean-cut hair, stands there. Even though his face is grimed with sweat, he manages to hold a smug look there.

"Yeah," Joey starts sarcastically to the lean young man, "Too bad that was the only block you made throughout this entire game, Tristan."

Tristan laughs, his white teeth showing. He and Joey have been friends since they were children. If they're not busy talking trash to each other, they're busy fighting each other. Why? It's just how they are, how they show how valuable their friendship is. Too bad people often mistake them for a `couple' because they're always seen with each other.

"Hey, I'm just looking for my perfect moment," Tristan injects smoothly.

"Really?" Joey cocks an eyebrow. He checks the clock on the scoreboard. He grimaces. "You going to do something with only seven seconds left on the clock?"

Tristan and Yugi observe the scoreboard too. Both faces frown.

"All right, guys," Coach Gray walks over to them. "You guys going to play or what? This ain't a book club where you sit and talk idly, y' know. Get out there and play the game. You need this if you want to pass my class. Get to it or it's another delightful year with me."

Simultaneously, the three young men moan, painfully dragging their feet to the center of the court where the other players are. Coach Gray chuckles and he returns to the bench. Kids…

They all form a circle with Tristan and Yugi standing outside of it and Joey positioned inside since he's been chosen to tip. He stands face-to-face with another six-footer. He's the aggressive one, the one that fouled out Hiroshi in the third quarter, sending him to the locker room with a broken leg.

Joey sighs. It's been a tough year for the Domino basketball team. It's been cursed with injuries and drops-out due to students being ineligible to participate - as in flunking their classes. If not for this misfortunate, he, Tristan, and Yugi wouldn't be here. The coach got desperate in recruiting more players so he decided to get people from his normal gym classes, especially those lagging behind, in the team. Neither of them like gym. Tristan doesn't like getting sweaty and smelly. Yugi hates gym class because it leaves him all sore the next morning. And him? Well, he hates wearing those stupid shorts and shirt.

Of them three, however, he's come to actually like playing basketball after school. He never knew he had a knack for it. Sure, he's played it before, with the kid's in his block. But it wasn't `clean' basketball. It was rough basketball, the type that one would usually come out with a bloody nose and all and his old man chewing his ass off because he had to spend the money on stitches than his damn beer. Yeah, he grew up in a tough neighborhood. He's used to playing hard ball. But he never imagined himself being here, part of the Domino High School basketball team playing `clean' basketball.

Despite the fact that Tristan and Yugi hate playing sports, he already knows that they wouldn't want to be anywhere else but here either. This is a perfect opportunity to just hang out. Enjoy each other's company. Who gives a heck if their coach is a jerk? Or that they have to be here everyday after school than hang out at the arcades playing games? Naw, it's all good in the name of friendship. And it's certainly better being here than watch that no-good-for-nothing father of his drink himself to sleep.

Joey eyes the basketball the referee currently holds. He quickly does a scan of his teammates, searching for the perfect person to tip the ball to if he's lucky to get to the ball first. Across him, he sees Tristan and Yugi outside the circle. He frowns. Sure, they're his buddies and all, but damn, they couldn't shoot the ball into the rim even if their lives depended on it. He looks a little to their left. There's Roger. He's the best shooter of their team. Only problem is that two guys are on him, preparing to double-team him the moment he gets the ball. There's Chiroi too, also known as Peanut Butter. Why? `Cause his hands are as slippery as peanut butter most of the time. No sell. How about Ruan? Hmmm… He's lousy with his free-throws but he's certainly better than Peanut Butter. Even better, he's not that far from him and no one seems to be on him right now, probably because they're expecting Roger to get the ball.

I guess Ruan's my man, he thinks to himself.

Joey holds his breath, ignoring the screams and yells coming from the packed gymnasium. He needs to stay focus, to concentrate. Sure, he'd really love to hear his name called out in several directions. He'd love to gloat on how damn good a player he is. But now's not the time. He needs to ignore all types of distractions and concentrate on the task at hand. They only have seven seconds. Seven seconds. They have to make them count. Hopefully, they won't make a turnover or miss the shot. That's all they need… one shot.

The whistle suddenly blows, bringing Joey back to reality. He goes into a crotch position, ready to leap into action. In an instant, he sees the referee toss the ball up in the air. Joey jumps as high as he can off the ground.

There!

His hand manages to touch the ball. Letting out a yell, he tips it as hard as he can towards Ruan's position. The ball flies, slanting in a forty-five degree arch, moving slow at first then gradually fast until it reaches its destination. By the time Joey lands back on his feet Ruan's got the ball and starts his run.

Two players run behind Ruan, both catching up. Ruan manages to stay within a half foot away. However, he nearly trips on his own feet, causing his stalkers to gang up. Joey curses under his breath, realizing what's about to him. The bastards are going to foul him! They know he sucks at the free-throw line so they'll force the foul!

Joey is about yell a warning but before he can get a word out of his mouth, Ruan does the unthinkable: he passes the ball to the nearest team player he can find. It appears Joey ain't the only one catching on to the other team's strategy. Unfortunately, he doesn't know if Ruan's decision is good or bad, because the ball appears to be heading for Yugi's and Tristan's direction…

Dumbfounded, Tristan stands motionless without even blinking. His eyes are wide open, watching the ball head between Yugi and his path in slow motion, but he does nothing. In that moment, he totally forgets what that orange, sphere shape is. He forgets why it's heading towards him. He even forgets what basketball is. All he can do is gasp and stare like a deer about to get hit by a car.

Meanwhile, Yugi tries to breath. He realizes that Tristan has frozen, unwilling to accept the ball. Not that he blames him. He hates this part too. They've been lucky enough to play just a bit while the rest have done the dirty work. Tristan and him aren't made for this sport. Heck, any sport for that matter. Let the people laugh all they want. It's not them here in this court. Still, he can't complain now. He's got to try. Grandpa always said to try and not care about the results. He'll take the ball, he decides. He'll take it. With any luck, the clock won't run out by the time he reaches the rim. With even more luck, he'll make a shot. With the most luck, the damn ball will actually go in!

Yugi immediately runs in front of the human pillar, accepting the ball on Tristan's behalf. His hands lock around the gigantic orange ball. Dribbling, Yugi runs as fast as he can to the rim. The crowd is nothing but a blur to him as he makes his run, being chased by two or three people. He's not really sure or cares. His breath becomes short pants, his right rib beginning to hurt because of lack of oxygen. He has no idea how much time he has left but he knows it's not enough. Is it six seconds now? Five seconds? He just doesn't know. A part of him wants to give up, give the ball to someone else but…

"C'mon, Yugi!" he suddenly hears a familiar voice scream from the crowd. Tea…

Yugi's eyes grow into a determined stare. Tea… For a moment he thinks how great it'd be to make a shot, to help Domino move into overtime and maybe win the game! Tea would be impressed, wouldn't she? And who knows, maybe everyone in school will think he's an awesome guy to hang with. They might not call him `nerd' and `dweeb.' They might not even bully him for his lunch money anymore!

An aggressive push comes from behind, however, breaking Yugi's wishful thinking. Before Yugi can register what just happened, he finds himself falling. His vision becomes blurred and chaotic. The entire gym seems to spin in circles as he hits the floor, face-down, with a hard thud. The ball bounces off of his hands. A whistle blows.

"Yugi!" Tristan yells and runs towards his fallen comrade. "You all right, man?"

"Of course he ain't, Tristan!" Joey exclaims with a red-face and turns to the player who hit Yugi. "Ya jerk! Why'd you have to do that? You didn't have to foul him that hard!"

Joey angrily swings a fist at the player. Immediately the other players come to intervene. However, as the battle becomes intense, they too engage in a fight. The referee and the coaches from both teams run to the center court, trying to break things up. Coach Gray manages to get between Joey and the player he punches. He pulls Joey out, looking down at him hard.

"Joey Wheeler! You've just been suspended!" the coach spits on his face. "Now get your ass to the locker room! I'll deal with you after the game!"

Joey is about to say something, but decides against it. Instead, he throws a fist up in the air and walks off the court very irritated. The crowd boos, angry about the coach's decision as well.

In the bleachers, Serenity looks concerned.

"Oh, Joey…" she says and tightens her grip on her handmade poster. She turns to Tea. "You think he'll be all right? Do you think he's in serious trouble?"

"Of course he's okay," Tea comforts her with a confident smile. "And I'm sure the problem is no biggie. Joey's like a cat. He has a way of always landing on his feet."

Serenity smiles. She still looks concerned for her big brother but feels a bit better. Surely, he'll be okay. He has to. Meanwhile, Tea looks back at the court, seeing several people surround Yugi. She can't see the spiked-hair boy in her view. He's on the ground, that's for sure. But she doesn't know if he's seriously injured or not.

"Yugi…" she murmurs under her breath, hoping nothing terrible has happened to him. She glances at Yugi's grandfather sitting next to her and notices a similar, concerned look on his face as well.

Back on the court, the referee stands over Yugi's body. He's been knocked unconscious. There's also a huge red mark on his left knee, indicating the birth of a bruise. Tristan struggles to have a better look at his friend but he's pulled back by the coach.

"Okay, everyone, back off," Coach Gray demands, "Give Yugi some room."

Everyone complies but Tristan tries to stay as close to the action as he can. He needs to know what's going on with his buddy. Besides, now that Joey's gone, it's his responsibility to look after the little guy. Otherwise, Joey will kill him.

In the meantime, Coach Gray looks down at Yugi.

"Yugi? Are you okay?" he kneels beside him. "Can you hear me?"

The coach becomes worried when he doesn't get a response for quite awhile. Yugi lies motionless, his face buried on the ground. The coach is about to call people to assist him in getting the kid out of the court until he hears a moan. He looks back at Yugi and sees one of his fingers move. Face-down on the court, he tries to move but he can't. He can still budge his fingers though.

Yugi feels his left knee throb with pain. His neck also feels stiff when he tries to move it. He moans again, full of agony. Each time he opens his eyes all he sees are those small black dots, the ones that look like television static. He feels like a complete mess.

"That's right, Yugi," the coach smiles. "Good to have you back among the living. I'm going to have you sent to the locker room so the nurse can take care of you. Please, hold on."

"No…" Yugi murmurs and forces his eyes to stay open. "I want… to finish it…"

"No, Yugi. I'll get someone to do your free-throw shots. You did great, kid. But you're in bad shape. You just sit tight and let the nurse do her job."

"No…" Yugi refuses and begins to move his hands. Then arms. Slowly but surely, he's determined to sit up.

It's not that he's stubborn or anything. In fact, a part of him would like to take a load off and have someone more `qualified,' like Roger, to take his shots. But he can't live his life depending on other people. He's got to stay strong and keep fighting. No matter what happens. Besides, maybe his limitless determination will convince Tea to be with him, to become more than just friends.

With all his strength, Yugi manages to sit up. He winces in pain when his left, banged up knee makes contact with the floor. Still, he holds back the pain. In response to his wakening, the entire crowd screams and yells, happy to see their player okay. His neck remains a bit stiff but somehow he manages to turn it to look at the people. Everyone's standing up, clapping. He can't see Grandpa and the others but he has a strong feeling that they're just as relieved to see that he's all right like everyone else is.

"Yugi…" Coach Gray argues. "Let someone take the shots. You need the nurse."

"I'm okay, coach," Yugi grunts as he stands up. "Besides, if I make the shots and we go into overtime I'll sit out the game. If I don't make the shots then it's already over."

Coach Gray looks at Yugi. He must admit, Yugi is one of his best students. Despite the fact that Yugi sucks at sports and does poorly in his gym class, he still wanted him on this team. He's got that determination that's rare to find in a kid his age.

"All right, Mr. Motou," he nods. "You've got guts. But you'll be sitting out the next games until you've fully recovered. Understood?"

"Yes, sir."

The coach looks at Yugi one more time. Then nods to the referee standing nearby with the ball. The referee returns the gesture.

"All right, everyone!" Coach Gray yells and claps his hands once, "Get your asses in place!"

From the bleacher's, Yugi's grandfather watches the team players dispatch on the court. He looks at his grandson limping slightly toward the free-throw line, still worried. He knows how difficult it's been for his grandson lately. His parents have been gone for awhile, leaving him to raise Yugi by himself. So he knows what's going on in his grandson's life. He knows how it is to be in high school. There's so much peer pressure and the need to be cool. And then there are those cursed bullies who prey on the little ones, like his grandson. Solomon understands all of this and more. Sometimes, he wished he could take away the pain but he can't. That's the worse part in all of this. His grandson seems to think that it's his struggle alone, and he might be right. Yugi's willing to do anything to fight on, even if his own life is at stake.

Solomon looks down at his feet, remembering a particular thing that has changed his grandson's life forever. It's given him determination and self-confidence but it may have been at a great price…

He sometimes regrets the day Yugi received and solved the Millennium Puzzle. This item possesses extraordinary powers and, along with other Millennium items, was created thousands of years ago by a powerful pharaoh. Long ago, Egyptian Kings played a game of great but terrible powers called the Shadow Game. They were able to control the power of, what many believed to be, monsters. They used these monsters to rage cruel wars on each other for conquest. Threatened to be consumed in a world of eternal darkness, the people turned to a pharaoh for help. Using his own, unique powers, the pharaoh locked this dark magic away into seven Millennium items: the Millennium Ankh, the Millennium Eye, the Millennium Puzzle, the Millennium Ring, the Millennium Rod, the Millennium Scale, and the Millennium Necklace. Unfortunately, these items were taken by a tomb robber and have been scattered around the world since then.

At first, he had no idea what the Millennium Puzzle was capable of. When he first found it in the ruin tombs of the pharaoh, it was in a small gold box which contained hieroglyphics carved on it. Inside the box were broken pieces of the puzzle. Unsolvable by anyone. As a former archaeologist, he was able to read the text written on the box: The one who solves me shall gain the powers and knowledge of Darkness. He came to many people seeking assistance, even to the most avid puzzle-solvers in the world. Yet, it was as if the pieces themselves changed, as if they had a will of their own. Because his grandson had a knack at puzzle solving, he offered it to him, never knowing that he'd actually piece it together. For eight years Yugi worked on it until, one day, he succeeded. Since that day, Yugi has made a… friend. It's not the type of friend one would regularly meet, though. This `friend' was special. He was a soul trapped within the Millennium Puzzle.

Yugi and his friends call him Yami. Yami acts like Yugi's protective guardian most of the time and rarely `hangs out' during social occasions. When called on, Yami takes control over Yugi's body. This event causes Yugi's own body to transform somewhat. His looks and voice sound… older.

The way Yami plays in Duel Monsters, or in any other game for that matter, is truly extraordinary. Even when his opponent cheats or if it's an entirely new game, Yami will win it. It's as if he can will the monsters and the entire game at his command. The heart of the cards. That's what the spirit always tells Yugi. No wonder Yami was such a great and powerful pharaoh in his time…

Yes, he's still surprised by this fact too. They had no idea Yami was the pharaoh who created the Millennium items thousands of years ago until he and Yugi learned more about each other, until they bonded. Plus, as it appears, Yami has no memory of his former self.

The resemblance to his grandson is also shocking. With the exception of looking and sounding older, Yami looks exactly like his grandson. At first, he assumed Yami simply took the form of the person he possessed. But, in Yami's former life, he looked just like Yugi! Ancient Egyptian tablets have revealed a pharaoh thousand years ago with an uncanny resemblance to his grandson.

He remembers seeing Yami's actual spirit, or form, one time. It was during an unfortunate situation some years ago, when a horrifying man named Pegasus trapped his soul inside a card. Yes, it really is awkward to believe in such a thing, which is why he never talks about it to anyone aside from Yugi and his friends. Even then, he knows how tough it is for his friends to accept such surreal situations. But Pegasus possessed the Millennium Eye and he was able to use it to read people's minds. This unfair advantage won him all of his duels. Pegasus soon trapped the souls of Seto and Mokuba Kaiba in order to obtain Kaiba Corporation. It was up to Yugi and his new friend, Yami, to beat Pegasus in the Duelist Kingdom tournament and put an end to his destructive behavior. In doing so, all of their souls were freed.

He was amazed. He was amazed to see the power the pharaoh possessed firsthand. If not for the spirit's help, he wouldn't be here seeing his grandson play right now. He'd still be stuck in the Shadow Realm, a place full of darkness and misery. He's seen that place and he has no desire to go back there. Not ever. It continues to amaze him how ludicrous people can be. Who would dare use that type of horrifying power to gain conquest? Who could be so… mad?

Solomon blinks, looking at his grandson again. Is there a connection between Yami and Yugi? Is there a chance that… his grandson could be the reincarnation of the Pharaoh himself? At least in body? Most Egyptians believe in the power of reincarnation, which is why they mummified their precious kings and queens. They had hoped their souls would one day return to the body they abandoned on Earth. Not long ago they met a woman named Isis Ishtar. On numerous occasions she spoke of the return of the Pharaoh and that he would bring harmony and peace in his wake. She didn't mention, however, what part Yugi played in this. On the other hand, her brother, Malik Ishtar, referred to Yugi as the vessel for the Pharaoh. If that's the case, if his grandson is simply the body for Yami, what will happen to his beloved grandson? Where will his spirit go once Yami takes over it completely?

He can't bear the thought of losing his grandson. They've become so close. Yugi looks up to him like his father. Yet, he can't ignore the fact that the Millennium Puzzle chose his only grandson to be its keeper for a reason. What that reason is, he doesn't know. Only that his grandson has been the target of many ruthless people who wish to acquire his Millennium Puzzle.

Some of these people also possess items, such as Pegasus. He had hoped by using the power of all Millennium items, in addition to the use of Kaiba Corporation's technology, that he could bring back his long dead love, Cecilia. It was an act out of true passion that forced him to set up the Duelist Kingdom Tournament in hopes of drawing Yugi in.

Meanwhile, others wish to get to the Pharaoh himself, like Malik. He controlled the Millennium Rod, using its magical powers to control people's minds and send them to the Shadow Realm when it suited him. He remembers Yugi telling him the back-story about this fellow from Egypt. Malik was a tomb-keeper, sworn to protect the tomb of the Pharaoh until his return. Yet, his strict father and the years he stayed underground made him envious of the people in the outside world. While the people played and had fun, he was forced to remember ancient scriptures and remain underground throughout his life. Jealously, frustration over his sacred duty, and the death of his not-so-kind father caused Malik to rage war on Yami, even if it meant taking Yugi down with him too.

Malik and Pegasus no longer pose a threat to them anymore. Pegasus, for one, has been ill ever since his Millennium Eye was mysteriously taken by someone. No one's heard from him since. Though, there have been rumors that he'll return to the `spotlight' soon. And as for Malik, well, he's no longer the cruel young man he once was. Not that Isis ever doubted the good in Malik. She fought hard to make him realize the wrongs he's done, even participating in the Battle City tournaments to confront him there. A few weeks ago Yugi received a letter from a rather cheerful Malik Ishtar. He's currently with Isis in New York City, exhibiting ancient Egyptian art to the public. He can finally explore the outside world.

Despite everything being well again, it terrifies him each time to see the danger that surrounds his grandson. And even now, when all is quiet and peaceful, he senses something horrible approaching. He can't place his finger on it, but it's there. Like a splinter.

All because of the Millennium Puzzle…

Many times he's thought of throwing it away. But he's in debt to Yami and as long as this spirit keeps Yugi safe, he'll retain from taking any course of action. Solomon sighs, giving these thoughts a rest once he sees Yugi getting ready to make his basketball shots.

The crowd begins to quiet down as Yugi stands on the free-throw line. A part of Yugi is sad to see Joey absent, realizing that he's up for suspension. Maybe he can talk to the coach after the game, convince him to lessen the punishment somehow. Well, he can't do anything right now. He's got to make these two shots. Looking at the time on the scoreboard now, he realizes that there's only three seconds left. The game comes down to him. Either they go into overtime or not. Sure, this is just one game. But wouldn't it be great to be the guy who gave them a chance to win a game? They haven't won one for a long time. They're in a losing streak and so far, all the other high schools have made them the laughing stock of the city. This win should prove something right?

He takes a deep breath of air; his body still hurting from the recent abuse it took just a minute ago. His vision is a little blurry but he forces himself to focus by squinting his eyes. In front of him, he sees his teammates and opponents. They're all waiting for him. Tristan is among them. He nods to him, wishing him luck. Directly opposite of him and underneath the basketball rim, is the referee.

"Two shots," he says and throws the ball to Yugi.

Yugi receives it and looks at the ball in his hands. He notices how the entire gymnasium is completely silent now. Anticipation begins to build with every second passing. At the bench, he sees Coach Gray crossing his arms, his face anxious as well. Finally, Yugi glances at Grandpa. He sees him smile; already proud of him no matter what happens. This forces Yugi to smile too and ignore the aching on his neck and leg. He displays a face full of confidence.

Turning back to the basket with a firm face, he begins to dribble the ball, focusing on the net. With some resistance and pain, he bends his knees a bit and raises his hands above his head slightly. He throws the ball up in the air…

It goes in!

The entire crowd immediately cheers, hollering in excitement. Horns blow out and the cheerleaders jump up in the air. Even some of his bullies present in the game have to nod.

"All right, my little man!" Tristan shouts above the crowd. "Yeah, now that's what I'm talking about! One more, Yugi! One more!"

Yugi exhales loudly as the referee passes the ball back to him. Once again, the crowd's noise starts to subside. He hears his name called out here and there and it makes him happy. Already, his vision of acceptance is becoming a reality. He glances at the bleachers again and finds Tea. His eyes brighten when they see the large smile on her face. A million dollars can't keep him away from this moment. It's like all of his dreams are coming true tonight.

He returns his attention to the basket. For a moment, he looks at the orange ball. It reminds him of something else but the thought quickly evaporates once he realizes he still needs to take one more shot. He starts to dribble, his hands a bit shaky. He's nervous, that's for sure. But he's been nervous before. He just has to suck it up and play the game. He raises his arms, takes a deep breath, and throws the ball towards the basket. It reaches it, spins around the rim and…

Falls off the rim…

The crowd is still quiet when the other team snatches up the ball and waits for the remaining three seconds to run out. It reaches zero and a buzzer sounds. None of Yugi's teammates react. They remain still. However, their opponents are already celebrating. They give each other's high-fives and holler a victory yell. Their coach has a huge grin on his face, smiling and nodding his head. It's then that the crowd sitting on the bleachers begin to react. They stand to leave, the look of shame on their faces. None of them even want to look at Yugi, who's the only one remaining on the court now that his teammates are heading for the locker room.

Yugi's eyes remain fixed on the rim. It's as if he hasn't a clue on what just happened just now. He remembers they were down by two and that they forced a foul on him. He remembers seeing the proud look on Grandpa's face and the promise of something new with Tea. He remembers one of his shots going in and the crowd cheering. He remembers, for a brief moment, that he wasn't another midget-sized geek for his school. And then… he remembers the second shot he made and the ball spinning around the rim…

"Hey," he suddenly feels a hand on his shoulder, breaking his chain of thoughts. He blinks and sees Tristan there. "It's okay, man. You did your best. I'm proud of ya."

Yugi doesn't say anything. He's still in a dream-like state. His eyes, though, tell the story of defeat and embarrassment.

"Look, don't be so hard on yourself, Yugi. We win some and we lose some, end of story." Tristan smiles, "Now, what say we hit the showers, get dressed, and grab a bite to eat? I'm starving!"

Yugi looks at his friend for a second or two. Then, a curve forms on his lips. "Yeah… I guess you're right. They'll always be other games to play."

"Right-on, buddy," Tristan nods. Then, he notices Tea, Grandpa, and Serenity walking towards their direction. He puts on his best face for Serenity. Sure, Joey doesn't want a guy to lay a hand on his little sister. But, they're friends, right? He'll understand. Better him than some other guy, right? And Serenity is too cute to pass up. "Hey you guys!"

"Great game you guys played," Tea is the first to meet Yugi and Tristan in the court. She smiles warmly for Yugi. "You did great, Yugi."

Yugi observes Tea. Then at the others. It's funny. Even when he missed his shot they're still treating him like a winner. He's lucky to have friends and family like them. They're always here to cheer him up. He wonders if things would be different if he had made the shot though.

"It wasn't good enough, but I guess this will do for now," Yugi shrugs, looking very shy now. "Coach Gray told me to take it easy for awhile. I feel a little better now but he wants me to be fully recovered, so I won't be playing any games right now."

"I agree with him," Grandpa comments and nods. "You had us all worried there for a second, Yugi. I couldn't bear the thought of something terrible happening to my favorite grandson in the world!"

"I'm you're only grandson, Grandpa," laughs Yugi.

"Even so, I want to make sure you're in tip-top shape. In fact, I'm going to ask you - no - order you not to do any of your chores for the next two weeks."

"Really?" his grandson's eyes burst in excitement. "Hey, maybe I should get hit more often!"

"Don't get any bright ideas now, Yugi," guffaws Grandpa. "Two weeks, remember that."

"I've never seen a basketball game this intense before," Serenity tells Yugi. "All you guys played great. That was an awesome block my brother made, wasn't it? He really is an awesome player!"

"Sure he is," Tristan replies, hoping to gain points for this. "How about me, huh? I played pretty good, didn't I?"

"You, um…" Serenity tries to think of something positive to say, despite the fact that he completely froze in the game. "You looked… good on the court."

"You hear that?" Tristan says proudly to Yugi, oblivious to the lie. "She thought I looked good on the court! Ain't I something?"

Yugi can't reply and rubs his head, still in pain. His vision is a bit blurry from his recent state of unconsciousness but he manages to find the entrance to the locker room anyway. "I think we should check up on Joey. I wonder how he's doing."

"Fat chance!" A look of fear appears on Tristan's face. "He's probably getting his head chewed off by Coach Gray right now, man. I wouldn't want to be there when - "

"Oh please check on my brother," Serenity says and looks at Tristan with her hands clenched together. Pleading. "I'm so worried about my big brother, Tristan. Please."

"Of course!" he quickly changes his mind. He starts to come up with a lame excuse to explain his previous reaction. "I mean, of course we were going to check up on Joey, Serenity. I just… wanted to give him some room right now before I came in and demanded to the coach that he'd -"

"Listen," Tea cuts him off and looks at Yugi. "We'll be outside waiting when you guys are showered and dressed."

"Yeah," Grandpa adds, "Tonight we're going to Burger World! It's on me."

"Awesome! We'll come out as fast as we can then." Yugi still sees Tristan flirting with Serenity. He yanks him by the jersey. "Come on, Romeo. The faster we get dressed, the faster we can eat."

"Okay," Tristan looks back at Serenity, even while Yugi pulls him forward, towards the boy's locker room. "I'll see you outside, Serenity!"

***

METROPOLITAN MUSEUM OF ART, NEW YORK

Fire… Pain… Above, the heavenly sky is bathed blood red, its clouds rushing forward fast, so very fast. The agonizing sounds of screaming and despair come from everywhere. Thousands of bodies lie dead in the streets, consumed in flames. Buildings have fallen, reduced to a pile of rubble and smoke. The smell of sweet rotten meat consumes the air. Meanwhile, large and vicious birds that fly high above dive down to feed on whatever it is that attracts them. There is no life here. No hope. There's only the visual scene of horror, of destruction and anarchy.

The area she's in feels both humid and hot, making her skin moist and sticky. She doesn't know how she got here. She doesn't know why, for that matter. Except that this new surrounding is both old and new. Despite everything being chaotic, she can still recognize the environment somehow. She's in the downtown area of the city or at least, what's left of it anyway. She recognizes some of the fallen buildings. To her left she can see the café shop she and her brother enjoy visiting during their lunch break. It's always packed, especially during the lunch hour. There's no one there now. Its entire structure is engulfed in flames, its walls collapsing. She recognizes the destroyed park nearby too, the one she feeds the pigeons on Saturdays. Her face is sad when it sees all the pigeons are dead. Children no longer occupy the playground there either. One of the swings moves back and forth. Its metal-made chains creak before they eventually break apart, falling to the ground.

The lone woman looks around, wondering if there's anyone here besides her. What happened here? What could've done all of this? Who? Is she the only one alive? Where is her brother? Wait-a-minute, her brother! Where is he!

She yells out his name but all she can hear is the echo of her own voice. She yells his name again. The same thing happens. A tear streams down her face, assuming the worse has happened to him. She's alone… she's all alone here.

In great despair, she blinks, not totally understanding any of this. When she gazes down to look away from all the destruction and violence, she almost chokes. Below her feet are thousands upon thousands of human skulls. Some with worms crawling in and out of the empty eye sockets. Most of them look like children skulls.

"Ra…" she whispers, her eyes sparkling with tears.

Suddenly, she senses a presence. She can feel it.

"Isis…" a voice whispers hoarsely from behind.

She gasps. That voice… it sounds familiar, so very familiar. Could it be…?

"Malik!" Isis quickly turns around.

Her eyes widen in horror at the image she sees before her.

"Brother! No!" Isis screams the moment she sees Malik lying naked on the ground, among the human skulls and corpses.

His dusty-white hair is splattered with dirt and blood. His rich brown skin is paler in comparison to his normal skin tone. Those wonderful hazel eyes of his she loved so much are rolled back so far that only the white can be shown. Malik's mouth is wide open, maggots swarming inside it.

Isis holds back her disgust and immediately runs to him, holds him into her arms. She tries to get a pulse from his wrist but there's nothing. He's dead. Malik's hands are clenched, an indication that he died a painful death.

"My little brother…" Isis weeps and soon screams, "Who could have done this to you?"

A whirl of movement comes from her right. Without hesitation, she turns her head and, to her surprise, sees a boy there.

He's around five feet tall, small and almost frail. His hair color is a mixture of red and yellow-highlights. The boy wears clothes and gold jewelry that stem way back during the time of the Pharaohs. Currently he stands facing her, his crimson eyes are blank and void. The wind swirls around him.

"Yugi?" Isis instantly recognizes him. "What are you doing here, child? And why are you wearing those clothes?"

Yugi doesn't reply.

Isis blinks. "Where is Yami, Yugi? I need to talk to him."

Still nothing.

"It's important, child. Perhaps Yami knows what happened here and can help. Surely, you must know where my Pharaoh is."

Yugi finally smiles. But it's a horrible smile.

"Yugi?" Isis senses something wrong here. She lets go of her brother and stands up. Surprisingly, she feels intimidated by Yugi even though he's a mere five feet in height and she close to six. "I demand to talk to Yami right now, Yugi!"

Yugi looks at her for a second. And then he points his finger behind her. Isis hesitates before seeing what he points to. There is something definitely wrong with Yugi. He's but an alien to her. There's no indication of the young, cheerful boy she met long ago.

Isis decides to look where his finger points to, hoping that there's an explanation for his odd behavior. Just when she thought things couldn't get any worse, she finds herself wrong.

There, hung upside-down on a street light pole is a body…

She can barely recognize the body of the young man. If not for the evident hairstyle he possessed she wouldn't have known this was Yami, her Pharaoh. His face has been scraped off, revealing only the bloody insides of tissue and veins. Likewise, his entire stomach exposes the wet and juicy entrails within. His ears and arms have been cut off as well. Flaps of skin stick out from the open wounds, engulfed in dry blood and worms. The only thing remaining of Yami is his head, torso, and legs.

The wind pushes up against the corpse, moving it up and down. Up and down. Up and down.

"What have you down?" Isis screams at Yugi.

"I even I, am Osiris," he softly replies, his voice neutral. "who shut in his father Seb together with his mother Nut on the day of the great slaughter. My father is Seb and my mother is Nut…"

Isis recognizes the words he says. It's the two passages written in the Book of the Dead. Chapter xxxi. 3 of the Saite Recession; and Chapter 1xix. 7, Theban Recession.

"I even I, am Osiris," Yugi resumes citing the words, "who shut in his father together with his mother on the day of making the great slaughter…"

"Yugi!" Isis attempts to run to him, hoping to snap him out of his phase.

Her feet start to sink into the ground of corpses. She yells but her voice is muffled as the human skulls quickly cave in around her. Deeper and deeper she goes. She can't breath. She can't see. There is nothing but darkness. Nothing but death that awaits her.

***

Isis gasps loudly, jerking up violently from her sleep. She almost knocks over the clock sitting on her desk. Yet, gravity kicks in and restores the clock to its original position. Isis continues breathing loudly. Droplets of sweat form all over her body. She tries to slow down her breath, eventually realizing that she's back in her office where she should be. Alive and well. Above her, the rotating ceiling fan squeaks. To her left, the coffee-maker hums. Near the office's door, the fish inside the tank resume swimming in circles. Everything appears normal.

It was a dream. Just a nightmare.

Looking at her feet now, there are no skulls. Just the red carpet. Carefully, Isis stands up from the chair she was sleeping on. She walks over to her office's window. She pulls up the blinders, allowing the morning sun to pour into her office room. There is no apocalyptic scene outside. Instead, the buildings and skyscrapers of New York City stand tall and proud. Cars below honk. Dogs bark. Various types of music collide with one another. Thousands of people pack the streets, talking, cursing, and laughing.

Isis closes her eyes and then opens them again to make sure this isn't another dream. As she does, she hears a familiar knock on her door.

"Isis?" a voice calls out from the other side of the door. The doorknob rotates.

Isis halfway expects to see something terrible behind the door but as it opens, a healthy and dusty-white haired young man stands there instead.

"Malik…" Isis breathes a sigh of relief, holding back a tear.

"You look like you ran a marathon," Malik replies and closes the door. "Are you okay?"

Isis looks at herself in an oval-shaped mirror posted on the wall. Tired blue eyes stare back at her. Her pitch-black hair that's usually straight and lengthy, almost touching her gluteus maximus, is somewhat a mess. And her deep brown complexion, normally smooth and clear, is currently grimed with sweat. Looking at herself now, she realizes how much she looks just like their mother whereas Malik takes after their father. She misses them. Actually, she misses their mother. She wished she was still alive. At least she could comfort and tell her everything was going to be all right. Mother always had a way of making things better. And now, more than ever, she could use those encouraging words.

It might have been just a nightmare but this hasn't been the first time that she's dreamt of it. She's been dreaming of it each night. Of course, she hasn't told Malik about them. She doesn't want to trouble her dear brother with these terrifying nightmares. But still… she might have to.

Whatever it is, she continues to see an apocalyptic vision. And she continues to see little Yugi there. Questions arise as she ponders into this a bit more. Why was Yugi there? And why was he chanting text from the Book of the Dead? Could this be just a simple dream and nothing else? Or could this be a vision of the future?

Nowadays, she can't tell the difference anymore. Despite the fact that she no longer wears the Millennium Necklace, she can still possess the ability to see into the future. Perhaps her Millennium item has bonded with her in a way where she no longer requires its physical presence? In either account, the item certainly helped distinguish dream from a future vision. But now that she gave it to Yugi as a way to help the Pharaoh fight evil, she has to rely on that `gut feeling' of hers.

"What's wrong, Isis?" Malik takes a step into the room, noting her silence.

"It's… it's nothing, brother…" she tries to say convincingly. "I just… had a nightmare."

Malik looks at her curiously. He knows well that something's troubling her. "Are… you sure?"

"I'm positive."

Malik waits a bit longer.

"Really, Malik," Isis insists, "I'm all right."

Another pause from her brother.

"I'm fine, Malik. Honest."

Finally, Malik nods his head. She's obviously not going to say anything. At least not now anyway. As a child, he always hated that habit of hers. He was never patient enough to wait for her to open up. He figured by screaming and hitting her that he could get the answers out more quickly. But Isis was too good to respond to that type of action. She was too humble, too patient, and too wise. He wishes he can someday achieve that tranquility. Until then, he'll work his way up to that level. There isn't anyone else in the world he looks up to more than his big sister.

"Okay," he says, "I just wanted to make sure."

"Please don't worry about me, brother."

"But I do worry about you, big sister," Malik smiles, revealing a boyish look. He takes a moment to walk next to Isis's window, peering down at the packed streets below. Malik turns his attention back to Isis. "Well, since you're up now, sister, you should get ready for the children coming over. They're scheduled to come by any moment now."

"Oh!" realizes Isis and looks horrified, "That's right! I nearly forgot!"

Malik laughs, seeing how wonderful this scene is. It's not everyday Isis is caught off guard. He'll definitely remember this moment.

"Give me a moment to fix myself up," Isis practically flies from her office to the adjacent bathroom. "Ra, I can't believe I forgot!"

"Okay, I'll be waiting by the lobby," Malik chuckles and closes the door behind him as he leaves.

Ra, thinks Isis as she turns on the water faucet and rinses her face. She totally forgot today was the day the school children came over. They're having a field trip here at the Metropolitan Museum of Art to observe Egyptian artwork. She and Malik will act as their tour guides.

They've been working here at the museum for quite awhile now. The work experience has been extremely fun for both of them. Originally, she went to New York City with the intention of showing Egyptian artwork for just awhile. She decided to take Malik with her as well. She figured they've been through so much already in the past few months that they could definitely use a break. It was a difficult time. Malik's anger towards his fate as a tomb-keeper had manifested itself into a dark evil half. She was forced to stop him but it wasn't enough. She needed help and so she turned to Yugi. Now that the dark side of Malik has subsided, she felt it necessary for them to move on, to search for happiness. Malik had always wanted to go out and explore the world. When the Metropolitan Museum of Art saw the news coverage concerning her Egyptian art showcase in Japan, they immediately requested for it to be displayed in New York as well. They offered room, board, and even a job. It was the perfect opportunity for Malik and her.

It's quite funny, though. Her showcase in Japan was never about art appreciation or history. Originally, it was just a cover-up. Her true goal was to meet Yugi Motou and CEO Seto Kaiba.

In order for the world to be saved from dark forces and her brother rescued from his evil half, these two needed to remember their past lives. Both have strong tie-ins with ancient Egypt. Yugi, for one, was the almighty Pharaoh. Seto, on the other hand, was a High Priest who betrayed the Pharaoh.

In addition to scriptures and sculptures, the gallery she brought with her included stone-carved, live-size ancient tablets. These tablets contained depictions of the two young men in their former selves, including the battle they raged on each other. The Pharaoh fought to protect the people. Seto fought for power. She revealed these carvings to both Yugi and the CEO in the hopes that they accepted who they once were in order to know who they are now. Yugi embraces his past whereas Seto is in a state of denial. Despite that, she still admires Seto.

Seto doesn't believe in destiny. His philosophy is that we all create our own fate. It can't be decided. It can't be written. It can't be predicted. He proved her wrong when he defeated her in a duel during the Battle City tournament. According to her Millennium Necklace, she foresaw him losing the battle against her by using an ultimate rare card. Obelisk the Tormentor.

To the CEO, the entire purpose of the setting up the Battle City tournament was to achieve three special cards. They were referred to as the Egyptian God cards. Aside from Obelisk the Tormentor, there was the Ra card and Slifer the Sky Dragon card. The power each possessed was surreal. Seto wished to claim all cards to himself so that he could become the most powerful gamer in the world. He was more than happy to know that Yugi, himself, possessed Slifer the Sky Dragon card. The two have always been rivals and twice they have dueled each other. Yugi is the only gamer who could give him a serious match. He possessing a card meant another serious match between the two.

Seto has always wanted power. His desire for that was supposed to be his undoing on the day they played each other. However, Seto didn't use his Egyptian God card. Instead, he chose his much beloved Blue Eyes White Dragon card, a monster he used when he was a High Priest in ancient Egypt.

None of this matters anymore. The tournament is over and Yugi came out as the victor, winning all three cards. Soon afterwards, Yami requested her help in sealing these cards for good, hoping that their power was to never be unleashed again.

It is ironic, however, when she connects the Egyptian God card Yugi first won with the nightmare she just had. Slifer the Sky Dragon was originally named Osiris the Sky Dragon. She doesn't know why this troubles her but it does. Osiris… the king of hell. Why him? Why is Yugi connected to him in her dream? And was it… fate that brought Slifer the Sky Dragon card to the boy?

She looks up at the cabinet's mirror. Her `gut feelings' tell her that something is wrong. Since she left Japan she felt the unsettling feeling cloud over her. She misses home, she misses Egypt. She especially misses a special person she left behind. But the evil she senses has kept her away. Deep down, she knows she has to go back. Something is happening in Egypt, even as she stands here looking at herself in the mirror. But… she's afraid. She's afraid to confront whatever is awakening in Egypt. Ra, what if these nightmares of hers are a vision of things to come?

(Thanks for reading chapter 1! Before I go, here's some fun facts I thought you guys would like to know. For example, there really is a Valley of the Golden Mummies and it was discovered in 1999. Dinosaur remains were also discovered around the area! And yes, El Bawiti is a place in Egypt but no, there is no Temple of Falcon, lol. That's based more on Egypt mythology. All righty, be sure to stay tuned! More to come. And don't worry all you Kaiba fans, ole Blue Eyes will be popping his head in Chapter 3. Until then, I hope you like the fanfic so far!)