Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Tomorrow ❯ I Wanna Believe ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Destiny: Bienvenue, friends! This is the third fanfic I've started, and it also happens to be already completed. I will be uploading on a semi-regular basis.

Mackenzie: Oh yeah, and just so you know, Yami and Yugi have separate bodies, and so do Bakura and Ryou. So here's the key:

Yami= Yami Yugi

Yugi= Yugi Muto

Bakura:= Yami Bakura

Ryou= Bakura Ryou

/hikari to yami/

//yami to hikari//

~flashbacks~

"Speaking"

'Thinking'

Destiny: I prob wont use all of these fancy lil' symbols shown in the key, but they're there just so you know. . .

Mackenzie: Don't forget about the Disclaimer!!!

Destiny: Oh, yes. . .erm. . .I don't own Yu-Gi-Oh! nor any of its characters. Also, this songfic uses the lyrics from Avril Lavigne's song, "Tomorrow," and I don't own them, either. In addition, you may notice I did not use all the lyrics in one chapter. I will be using them in later chappies, and I still won't own them by then.

Mackenzie: Enjoy!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tomorrow

~

Chapter 1: I Wanna Believe

~

It was quiet at the Muto residence until the phone rang. Yugi Muto picked up the receiver, bringing it to his ear.

"Good evening; Kame Game Shop," Yugi stated, his eyelids drooping. "Yes," he responded.

Yami Muto, who sat nearby, looked nearly identical to Yugi, except that he was taller, more muscular, and had narrow ruby orbs for eyes, as opposed to Yugi's eyes, which were wide and amethyst. Yami was the 5,000-year-old sprit of Yugi's Millennium Puzzle, and the former Pharaoh of Egypt. His presence was powerful, and his command did not go unnoticed.

Yami watched his lighter half intently, and saw his eyes widen suddenly, pain and shock mixing into his expression. "Okay, thank you," Yugi stated, a worried expression crawling across his face. "Goodbye." Yugi hung up the phone and strode briskly towards the closet, seizing his coat.

"Hikari, what's going on?" Yami questioned. "Where are you going?"

"To the hospital," he declared. "Joey's been injured."

"I'm coming with you," Yami stated before they both bolted outside into the rain.

* * *

Yami and Yugi arrived at the hospital at 9:25 PM; they discovered that Joey had been admitted at 9:00 PM, and visiting hours had been long over. However, the duet was allowed to visit him, since the hospital had been unable to contact Joey's father.

When they finally got to Joey's room on the third floor, Yugi reached his hand out, grasping the doorknob. Abruptly he stopped, his grip faltering.

"What's wrong, Yugi?" Yami asked his hikari.

Yugi's eyes suddenly filled with tears, threatening to spill over any second. "I-I don't know if I can bear to see Joey in such a broken state," he stammered. "What if he doesn't make it?"

"Don't worry," Yami responded. "I'm sure Joey will get through this; he has all of his friends to support him."

~*~

**And I wanna believe you

When you tell me that it will be okay**

~*~

"Yeah, I guess you're right. . ."

Yami stepped in front of Yugi and opened the door, holding it as Yugi followed him into the room. Yugi stifled a gasp when he laid his eyes on Joey, running over to Joey's bedside. He stared at his unconscious friend in horror, tears streaming down his cheeks.

Joey's face was still covered with lines of dried blood. His face was a white sheet of paper, battered and bruised.

"Oh my Ra," Yami muttered, turning away from the bloody picture. Yugi knelt beside Joey's bed, whimpering.

"My Ra, Joey. What happened to you?" Yugi wondered, sniffling.

A tall, male doctor entered the room. Yugi immediately rushed towards him, bombarding him with questions.

"What happened to Joey?" he demanded. "Is he going to be okay? When will he wake up?"

The doctor averted his eyes, sighing. "We don't think he'll make it," he responded quietly. "He's been beaten up pretty bad, and he needs a blood transfusion within the next two and a half hours. If he doesn't get the blood he needs, he'll be dead by tomorrow."

"How did this happen?" Yugi repeated. "How did he end up this way?"

"He was in a fight," the doctor replied. "We think somebody was trying to kill him. . ."

"What?!" Yugi exclaimed. "But who would want to kill Joey?" Yugi turned to Yami, as if he knew the answers to Yugi's inquiries.

Yami shifted his position, forcing his hands into his pockets. He held his head abate, his eyes filled with various emotions: anger, sadness, and fear. Yugi watched Yami clench his teeth, and observed Yami's tight, balled fists. His anger was evident, but his fear was concealed by the anger. Yugi could sense Yami's irritation and anxiety, so he tried to communicate with his dark half through their mind-link. 'Maybe Yami has some sort of lead on this murder attempt,' Yugi realized. 'He's in a couple of classes with Joey that I'm not in.'

/Who do you think could have done this? And why?/

//Huh?//

/Who do you think tried to kill Joey? I can't think of anyone who would hate Joey enough to try to MURDER him. . ./

//Uh. . .//

Yugi felt a sudden flash of anger burst through Yami's end of the link. Yami's rage emitted a burning sensation.

/Yami? Are you okay?/

//Yes, I'm fine//

/So, who do you think could have done this? I mean, you have some classes with Joey that I don't, so maybe you know something. . ./

//Uh...well, maybe Kaiba did it.//

/You really think so? Has Kaiba acted unusually violent towards Joey recently?/

//. . .Yeah. Kaiba and Joey had a HUGE fight the other day in Phys. Ed. They were really going at each other. . .//

/Whoah. I can't believe Kaiba would actually get violent./

//There's a lot of thing we don't know about Kaiba, Yugi, and I think it's best you stay away from him//

/Well, we should at least try to find out if he did this or not. We have to. For Joey./

//NO!//

/Why not?/

//Kaiba could be dangerous; you should really be careful. I'll ask him, tomorrow. Don't you worry about this, Yugi. It's going to be okay.//

~*~

**Yeah, I try to believe you

But I don't**

~*~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Destiny: What did ya think???? Review please, and tell me what you thought of this chapter. Is there anything I could do better? And like I mentioned in my previously uploaded story, Somehow…I've Always Known, please refrain from cussing in reviews. Thanks!