Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Too Much To Ask ❯ First Duel ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Too Much To Ask
 
-
 
Chapter 3: First Duel
 
-
 
Eshe's POV
 
-
 
Today marked the commencement of the Battle City Tournament. I have already received my duel disk system. My primary objective is to obtain a total of six locater cards and enter the finals. I'm not too shabby of a duelist myself; so if I set my sights on devouring easy prey, I can dig up my tickets to the finals with ease…right?
 
Okay, to say the very least, I'm nervous. It's kind of been a while since I last dueled.
 
But I have to do this. For Seto's sake.
 
I know Seto's been suffering for the past few years. I've sensed his bitterness and despair. I've been aware of the anguish he's endured, both physical and mental. And it's all been a direct and indirect result of Gozaburo's cruelty towards him. I don't know exactly what Gozaburo did to Seto, but I do know that what he did was absolutely horrible.
 
The worst part of this whole scenario is that I can't prove anything. And for whatever reason, Seto's been keeping quiet about Gozaburo's crimes.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------
 
As I took my first step into Battle City, I observed hundreds of duelists roaming the grounds. Already there were duels going on. I caught glimpse of Yugi Muto dueling some guy wearing weird robes. I shook my head in disgust. That guy really needs a new wardrobe.
 
I strained my eyes to see through the crowd that surrounded the dueling field that Yugi and his opponent were playing on. From what I could make out, Exodia the Forbidden One's head was played on the robed man's side of the field. He must be really desperate if he was forced to play such a weak card by itself.
 
I was strutting down the road when I discovered a lonely-looking boy carrying a duel disk. I sprinted in order to catch up with him.
 
“Hey, how many locater cards do you have, kid?” I inquired, a friendly smile plastered on my face.
 
“I have two,” the boy replied timidly.
 
“Well, I only have one locater card,” I responded. “You wanna duel for it?”
 
“All right.”
 
I took my stance about twenty feet away from him, initiating the duel system. The two of us slipped our decks into the duel system, then drew five cards.
 
“By the way, I didn't catch your name,” I called out to him.
 
“I'm Hiroshi Hiroko. And you are…?”
 
“Eshe Tutankhka,” I stated.
 
Hiroshi's eyes widened. “You're the musician girl! My sister absolutely loved your most recent album. I can't believe I'm actually meeting you!”
 
I grinned sheepishly. I'm well known in Japan! “So would you like to go first, or shall I?” I asked.
 
“You can go first,” Hiroshi complied.
 
I drew a single card from my deck and glanced at my current hand, which consisted of Luminous Spark, Maha Vailo, Neo the Magic Swordsman, Axe of Despair, Graceful Charity, and Mystical Elf.
 
“I set one monster in defense mode and end my turn,” I stated, placing my Mystical Elf sideways on the duel disk.
 
Hiroshi drew a card. “I attack with Axe Raider!” he announced. The warrior, which had 1700 attack points, made its attempt to slice through my facedown card, but made no progress. His attack was deflected by my headstrong Mystical Elf, causing Hiroshi to lose three hundred life points.
 
“I place two cards face down and end my turn.”
 
I extracted yet another card from my deck; it was my other Axe of Despair. It made the perfect addition to my Maha Vailo card. My Luminous Spark field card would cause an additional increase in Maha Vailo's attack power.
 
“First, I activate Luminous Spark,” I declared, “which raises the attack power of all light monsters by 500. Then I'll summon Maha Vailo to the field in attack mode.”
 
Maha Vailo appeared on the playing field, looking powerful and bold, until the image of the spellcaster flickered.
 
“I activate Trap Hole,” Hiroshi countered. I watched in horror as my monster stumbled into an abyss. “It destroys your monster because its attack power is greater 1000.”
 
“Okay, I'll end my turn, then,” I pronounced dejectedly.
 
“I summon Dark Blade in attack mode.” The ferocious beast emerged, swinging its swords with confidence and agility. “I'll attack your Mystical Elf with my Axe Raider. Go, my mighty warrior! Slay that blond witch!”
 
“Who do you think you are, calling my monster a witch?” I demanded. “She withstood your attack before; why attack again?”
 
Hiroshi gave me a weak smile. “You'll see,” he assured me.
 
Hiroshi's monster sliced through my elf with ease. The Mystical Elf vanished, leaving me wide open for a direct attack.
 
“Your Luminous Spark lowers the defense power of all light monsters by 400 points, making my warrior powerful enough to defeat it,” he explained.
 
Damn! I forgot about that!
 
“Now, Dark Blade, attack Eshe's life points directly!” he ordered.
 
Hiroshi's beast advanced towards me, striking the center of my duel disk. I was already down to 2200 life points.
 
“I place one card face down before completing my turn.”
 
I pulled Monster Reborn from my deck. Good. This will come in handy later.
 
“I activate Graceful Charity, which allows me to draw three cards and discard two.”
 
I withdrew three cards from the top of my deck, which included Dark Hole, Magician of Faith, and yet another Maha Vailo. I sent Neo the Magic Swordsman and Dark Hole to the card graveyard.
 
“I summon Maha Vailo. I'll equip him with the magic card, Axe of Despair, which raises his attack power by 1000 points.”
 
“I activate Magic Jammer,” Hiroshi cut in, interrupting my spellcaster's power boost. “By discarding one of the cards in my hand, I can negate the activation of your magic card. I knew you were planning on using a magic card in your hand to power up you monster as soon as you summoned Maha Vailo. Everyone knows that Maha Vailo gets 500 extra attack points for every card equipped to it.”
 
“It doesn't matter. My monster is still more powerful than both of yours because of my Luminous Spark. Plus, I'll outfit my monster with my other Axe of Despair. Now Maha Vailo has an attack power of 3550. Maha Vailo, attack Dark Blade!”
 
A burst of electricity exploded from Maha Vailo's fingertips, exorcising the dreadful beast that had occupied Hiroshi's side of the field. His life points dropped down to 1950.
 
Hiroshi groaned, reeling from his loss. “Are you done?”
 
“Yes.”
 
Glancing at the card he'd just drawn, Hiroshi let out a sigh of exasperation. “I'll switch my monster to defense mode and end my turn.”
 
After pulling out my next card, my hand was composed of Monster Reborn, Magician of Faith, and my rarest card, Chaos Command Magician.
 
“I'll set this card face down in defense mode,” I began, positioning my Magician of Faith on the duel disk, “and attack your Axe Raider with Maha Vailo.”
 
Once again electrons erupted from Maha Vailo's hands, eliminating Hiroshi's weaker monster.
 
I wonder what that face down card is? Is it a trap? I pondered. If it is, why hasn't he used it by now?
 
Hiroshi's face brightened when he drew his next card, and eagerly slapped it onto the duel disk. “I'll put this in defense mode and end my turn.”
 
I definitely should not attack that monster. That kid was way too excited when he drew it. He also desperately needs to learn how to do a poker face.
 
“I'll pass for now.”
 
After taking one glance at his next card, Hiroshi let out a whoop of delight. “You're done for!” he shouted. “Once I flip summon Man-Eater Bug, I can destroy your Maha Vailo because of its special effect. Say `goodbye' to your spellcaster!”
 
Maha Vailo vanished from the field, leaving my Magician of Faith the only monster protecting me.
 
“Next, I'll activate Delinquent Duo. At the cost of 1000 life points, I can randomly force you to discard one card from your hand. You must now send the card on your right to the graveyard!”
 
I slid the Change of Heart card that I'd drawn last turn into the slot on the duel disk where my other “dead” cards resided.
 
“Now you must discard yet another card from your hand.”
 
I smirked, disposing of my Chaos Command Magician. Next turn, I can revive it using Monster Reborn, I realized.
 
“Now, I'll activate my face down card, Call of the Haunted. I'll use it to resurrect my Dark Blade. Dark Blade, attack my opponent's face down card!”
 
My Magician of Faith cried out before disappearing into thin air. I can't stand watching my monsters being destroyed. I've just become so…attached to them. They represent me, my heart, my soul. I can't bear to see them suffer. But soon, my Chaos Command Magician will avenge them.
 
The Chaos Command Magician is my favorite card. I feel connected to him. I can envision myself in his place, standing there, in his dark, shining armor. He stands with confidence, determination, and the firm belief that he is doing the right thing.
 
“When you attacked my magician, you activated her special ability. I can return one magic card from my graveyard to my hand. So I'll take back that Axe of Despair that you eliminated earlier.”
 
“Shit,” he cursed. “I thought I'd rendered your hand useless when I activated Delinquent Duo. You must have a level 4 monster in your hand, and you're planning to equip it with Axe of Despair. Am I right?”
 
“Not quite,” I objected. “I'll activate Monster Reborn, and revive the monster that I discarded thanks to your Delinquent Duo. Meet my rarest card, Chaos Command Magician!”
 
My magician presented himself to the playing field, establishing himself in front of me. He stood erect, radiating with courage and certainty, guarding me from any harm.
 
“Now I'll endow him with the almighty Axe of Despair! His attack power climbs to 3900 with the addition of my Luminous Spark. Now, my magician, strike down his Man-Eater Bug!”
 
Using his powerful staff, he eradicated that awful beast. It was the final blow to Hiroshi's life points, bringing them down to zero. Hiroshi sunk to the floor, his body shaking like mad.
 
The bright dueling field vanished, and I walked over to Hiroshi's side, offering my hand to help him up.
 
“Thanks.”
 
“It's been a pleasure dueling you,” I told him, smiling. “It was definitely a tough one, though.”
 
“It's my honor,” he replied. “I never imagined you'd be an awesome musician AND a great duelist.”
 
I blushed, unsure of how to respond.
 
“Here's your locater card. Oh yeah, and take my Delinquent Duo; it's my rarest card.”
 
“No,” I protested. “You keep it.”
 
“But the rules of the Battle City Finals state…”
 
“Please, just keep it.”
 
“Why are you letting me keep it?” he asked, his curious eyes boring into mine.
 
“Because. . .” I don't know why I'm doing this. I just don't feel right taking it. He's a nice kid; he doesn't deserve to lose such a rare card. I think it'll get him out of some tight spots if he uses it right. “Would you like an autograph for your sister?” I inquired, changing the subject.
 
Hiroshi's downcast eyes lit up. “Sure! It will totally blow her mind!”
 
I addressed a personal note to Hiroshi and his sister, and bid him farewell.
 
“Maybe we'll run into each other at another tournament?” Hiroshi wondered.
 
“I'm not sure. This may be a one-time thing for me.”
 
“I see. Well, maybe I'll get lucky and see you at one of your concerts.”
 
I grinned. “See ya!”
 
“'Bye!”
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------
 
Please Review!