Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Two Birds, One Stone ❯ Chapter 3 ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Two Birds, One Stone

Part III

A Yu-Gi-Oh/ Gundam Wing Crossover Fanfic

Brenna "Snakelady" Dawkins

Rating: PG-13

Disclaimer: Yu-Gi-Oh, Gundam Wing and subsequent characters don't belong to me. Actually, I have no idea who they belong to. But it'd be pretty useless to sue me since I have nothing!

Summary: Yugi/ Gundam Wing crossover. Major Tea and Releena bashing!

Joey found himself dangling precariously over the chasm. The rope hand rail from the simple rope and plank suspension bridge had snapped in half and tangled up his right leg so he had a good view of the place where he'd fall to his death if the rope didn't keep hold.

"Joey!" Bakura hollered down to him.

"I'm right here, man. It ain't like I can go no place." Joey called back crossly, not daring to make any kind of a move, fearing the ropes eventual release.

Yugi was pacing back and forth; wringing his hands and would not stop staring out over the cliff. He looked up just in time to see Tea and a strange, disheveled girl behind her. "Tea! I'm so glad you're here! The bridge snapped when we were trying to make it across. Joey's dangling by his leg!"

"Oh my God!" Tea rushed up to them, panic in her eyes. She ran up to the edge of the cliff. Her sudden stop made a puff of dirt and rocks go over the edge, but she, unfortunately stayed up on the cliffside unharmed. "Joey! Stay still, okay?"

"Now why didn'a I think `bout dat?" Joey murmured crossly, keeping his voice down so it wouldn't reach Tea's ears.

"Heero!" Relena gushed and ran up to the wiry fifteen year old who scowled at the sight of her. "So here's where all of you've been! I've been looking all over for you."

Duo ignored her, Wufie positively glowered at her, Trowa noted the exchange with a careful mask of disinterest, which was pretty far from the truth, and Quatre was calculating how many of them it would take to heave her over the edge.

Tristan lightly tugged on Duo's black shirtsleeve. "Is that her?"

Duo nodded quietly.

"Hey guys! A little help here! Whatterya waitin' for? The stock market to fall or for me?" Joey shouted back at them.

"We should start pulling him up." Tristan replied.

"The rope could snag on something or be sliced up on the rocks or the rope could untangle and he'd fall." Duo said.

"So we're gonna just leave him there?" Yugi asked appalled and with a hint of anger.

Duo shook his head, "No, maybe we could send someone down on a separate rope and pull him up that way."

Tea clasped her hands together under her chin and chirped, "I want to help! Please let me!"

Duo shrugged, "Fine. You can either be the one lowered down to pick him up or help hold the rope up here."

"GUYS!" Joey called, trying to make sure they didn't forget him.

Tristan hollered back, "Yeah, keep yer shirt on, `kay? We're decidin' on something here!"

"Sorry to interrupt yer party!" Joey growled almost sixty feet from above the ground.

"I don't think she's strong enough to do either, you guys." Yugi said thoughtfully.

While Tea loved all her friends, Yugi especially, she didn't appreciate the insinuation that she was less then able to do anything because she was a girl. She put her hands on her hips and gave Yugi a defiant look, "I can do anything you can do! I'm going to be the one lowered down to help save my good friend Joey! Friendship is more powerful then anything, and the friendship I have with Joey will be enough to let me DO anything!"

Duo's eyes nearly rolled back into his head at her speech. He leaned over and whispered to Tristan, "Well, I see what you mean. Is she ALWAYS like this?"

Tristan shot him a pained look and nodded. Duo whistled. "I may just lose my bet." The Gundam pilot muttered.

"Told you so." Tristan gloated quietly.

So the gang pulled up some of the rope from the other handrail of the downed bridge. They tied one end to Tea's waist and Duo, Tristan, Bakura, Heero, and Quatre held her weight at the other end of the rope. Yugi watched Tea being lowered with an anxious, quivering lip. Wufie and Relena stood about, waiting for the outcome.

"I'm coming, Joey! Just hang tight!" Tea held onto her rope with a death grip as she watched her footing against the cliffside.

"Great." Joey responded with little enthusiasm.

Finally, Tea was there beside the dangling blonde. "Thought ya'll fergot `bout me for a while there." He said sarcastically.

"Well, I'm here now." She told him, deciding not to tackle the burning question of why they had left her that morning until they were both on solid ground. She reached out, not liking the feeling of letting her hands off of that lifeline that kept her from falling. But they did tie the rope around her. Her fingers brushed his side and Joey flailed frantically and grabbed hold onto the downed ladder to keep him from swinging like a pendulum from the contact.

"Watch it!" Joey cried in near hysteria. The creaking and slightly swaying bridge was a reminder that his life was on the line. `Some plan of Duo's!' He thought savagely. Why did HE have to be the fall guy? This was not what he'd thought he signed up for.

"Okay! Calm down! Just repeat to yourself that your friends are all here and are with you! That always helps me relax." She scolded him and reached out again.

Joey hesitated but reached out to her as well and grabbed her arm tightly. Tea bit her lip at the powerful grip that hurt her arm. But she couldn't reprimand him for that. He was scared and she was his only hope. She maneuvered him around so that he now faced up instead of upside down. It had been quite a task and it had been scary. Once she had Joey's considerable weight added to her, the rope around her waist seemed as if it was cutting into her skin and it was hard for her to lift the two of them up the side of the cliff using the rope.

"My leg." Joey reminded her. "It's still tangled."

So they halted their achingly slow progress up the cliff and untangled the rope.

"We'll pull you up!" Tristan informed them once Joey's leg was freed.


Tea nodded with relief as she and Joey held onto the rope with both hands. They were pulled up the side and eventually made it to the edge. Yugi was there and offered his hand, which Joey gratefully took and was hoisted up. Tea, all smiles for her good deed and reached her arm up to receive the same service. But Duo blocked Yugi from aiding Tea as Joey scrambled quickly to solid ground.

To Tea's horror, the rope that held her firm went slack and she felt herself begin to fall backwards. A surprised `o' was formed on her mouth and her eyes grew wide.

Relena shouted and she leapt forward and managed to grab a hold of the end of the rope before it slipped out of reach. But Tea's weight at the end took Relena off guard and caused her to over balance and she too plummeted off of the strip. She did not fail to hear the joyous whooping of the ones still on top of the cliff.

To Be Continued…