Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Wake Up ❯ In The End ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Me: eh heh…I took a bit longer updating then expected…. GOMENNASI MINASAN!!! *bows profusely*

Bakura: you idiot, people may not understand that! *in a lowered voice* not that they ever can, but-

Me: huh? Wuzzat? Oh... It meant `sorry everybody' to anyone who wants to know! ^ ^;;

Shinu: Yes! I make an official appearance in this chapter! *raises arms to tremendous applause*

Me: okay…to clear out this `Mae Shinu' name problem…Bakura refers to her as Shinu when he's thinking about her-

Bakura: O.o;;

Me: oh, you're so immature! Because he's close to her *in a loud shrill voice* AS A FRIEND!!! *normal voice* and doesn't see the need to be formal in his thoughts. Otherwise, he says Mae, because the Japanese people call each other, formally, by their last name. (yes, Shinu=1st name, Mae=last name, ex. Hiroto=1st name, Honda=last name, and people call him Honda) and that's why her name `structure' kinda thing is `Mae Shinu'. Very confusing, I know. But think of it being a library card catalogue thing, ok?

Ryou: aww, I'm hardly in this at all…

Bakura: *fake pouty face* awww, poor hikari!

Ryou: *punches Bakura in the nose*

Bakura: oww! X#{ Bad hikari, bad!

Ryou: *muscle flex* *punches Bakura in the eye*

Bakura: hey!! @_o () *slowly backs away*

Me: *sweatdrop*

Yugi: *appears* on with the fic!

Yami: *close in tow, grumbling* Erin does not own Yu-Gi-Oh characters, or the song `In The End' (Linken Park). Happy?

Yugi: *glows with happiness* yup! ^ ^ This chapter most likely does not contain vast amounts of shonen-ai, but be warned of later chappies and attempted cheesiness in the first P.O.V.!

Announcer: *big, formal voice* lyrics are in italics!!!

Me: and pleas read them, just for this chapter, okay? I put so much work into finding the right song, and it goes perfectly with this chapter.

Bakura: BRIBE!! BRIBE!!

Me: huh? Okay, and anyone who does read the lyrics, and mentions this in their review (hopefully along with an e-mail, or I'll probably forget ^ ^;;) and I'll send you a really cyuuute piccie of Ryou and Bakura (not one that I had drawn myself though. Damn…)

Mae Shinu's P.O.V.

I sat quietly on the asphalt, watching the burning building before me. I wonder how long it will take for someone to notice… My mind slowly wandered back to my homeland; Egypt. I had watched his being sealed in the Sennen Ring. I wonder…if he's been freed? It probably wouldn't matter anyway. Three thousand years is a long time to remember someone.

(It starts with one) One thing, I don't know why

It doesn't even matter how hard you tried

Keep that in mind

I designed this ride to explain in due time

I hear sirens in the distance and slowly stand up. I take one longing look at the dancing flames and sigh. "Such beauty in my eyes can bring so much pain and suffering to others." I shifted so my eyes were shadowed and whispered the relocation spell under my breath.

Bakura's P.O.V.

"For Ra's sake, Yami! It's just a motorcycle!"

"But, don't we need helmets, or something??"

"Yeah, like it would ever fit onto your hair. Besides, it alone should offer enough protection." The ex-pharaoh huffed indignantly, but let out a desperate whimper and wrapped his arms so damn tightly around my waist I could hardly breathe when I placed my hands on the handles. I shrugged it off as we had a dire situation here. Man, Shinu of all people had escaped, though it didn't surprise me at all. Great escapes were her specialty. Yami squeezed his eyes shut as I revved the engine. "Brace yourself, Yami." We sped put the driveway and down the street, me tracing her life force.

"What the… Why is her energy leading us here?? There's a Ra-damned fire!" True to his word, half of a relatively small warehouse was engulfed in flames. I hushed the engine when I noticed that we were not alone. The slim shadow stood up as sirens started to wail, and appeared to whisper something under its breath. Realization hit me, as the shadow seemed to evaporate right before us.

"Oh, shit! Yami, you get off here! I can handle Mae myself, and you would only get in my way." I completely stopped the engine and balanced it with my leg. The ex-pharaoh scowled, as he was just adjusting to my bike but got off without complaining, standing beside it, awaiting further instructions.

(All I know) time is a valuable thing

Watch it fly by as the pendulum swings

Watch it count down to the end of the day

The clock ticks life away (it's so unreal)

Didn't look out below

Watch the time go right out the window

Trying to hold on, but you didn't even know

And I wasted it all just to (watch you go)

"Please tell Ryou I may not be back for a while, to wait in his soul room for me and to keep the link intact at all times." Yami looked lost, obviously not knowing what had happened between my hikari and I.

Seeing the obviously confused pharaoh had almost brought a smirk, but I was pressed for time. "Look, if you want details, ask Ryou. Now I've got to go!" Leaving him to answer tricky questions sure to follow the soon arrival of the police, I started the bike and U-turned out of the alleyway. If I knew Shinu, she would be somewhere quiet, but the possibility of being somewhere easily tracked were slim. Damn…

~An Hour Later~

I sped around Domino City, flushing out all of the alleys and warehouses. I gave an exasperated sigh as I listened to the combination of crunching gravel beneath the wheel and alternative music playing from my radio. Maybe I should just head to the park. I always did like the ponds and trails. It was like walking through a dream for someone coming from the brutal deserts of the heart of Egypt. I turned the wheel and let my hands steer as I lifted my head into the wind to feel the over-rushed breeze through my thick, albino hair.

I kept everything inside of me

And though I tried, it all fell apart

What it meant to me, will it mention me

In a memory of a time when I (tried so hard)

And got so far, but in the end it doesn't even matter

Mae Shinu's P.O.V.

Plunk. Plunk. Plunk plunk plunk… "Heh." So I had finally learned to skip a rock more then once. Usually small things like this would have excited me, but my mind was on other things. Like, when I had relocated, I almost thought I had sensed Bakura nearby. "I've been thinking about him too much. It's not like he would ever remember me, much less care about me after I had left him there with Set…" I shifted my weight so I fell off the log, landing beside the hidden lake. I had never seen a lake in Egypt, and to find one surrounded by flourishing trees in the middle of a park was something new to me. I turned onto my side, watching the minuscule white fish dart gracefully underneath the water's surface. I wonder if I'll ever see him again? I drifted into sleep as memory of ancient times silently clouded my restless mind.

One thing, I don't know why

It doesn't even matter how hard you try

Keep that in mind, I designed this ride to remind myself

How I tried so hard

~Flashback~

I walk soundlessly down the crowded agora (a/n: aka marketplace, Egyptian style ^ ^), careful to keep my face shadowed. Quickly opening one of my many hidden pockets, I pulled out the note I had received this morning.

Meet in agora at noon

Sincerely, your friendly neighborhood tomb robber,

Bakura

"Ra, I can't believe Bakura, of all people, would want to meet me. Of all people." Well. I'm a skilled escape artist, but I have absolutely no experience in tomb robbing, including my most recent past two lives.

In spite of the way you were mocking me

Acting like I was part of your property

Remembering all the times you've fought with me

I'm surprised it (got so far)

I looked up from re-reading the piece of papyrus to see a half-hidden albino boy staring at me. I quickened my pace only to notice yet another figure appear. This one had hair just as wild, though somewhat sandy coloured. "Wha?"

"Please follow me, Mae Shinu. Oh. And this is Marik. He will help with your training. In turn, you will teach us how you make such famous escapes." The albino motioned towards the open desert just passed the packed agora. Though if one looked closely enough, they could see part of a cave through the ceaseless sifting of the raw sand. Nice…

~End Flashback~

I later learned that he had watched me overcome next to impossible odds, escaping the pharaoh's grasp; something even Marik would have had trouble with. But that was a long time ago. I've changed since then, now more of a tool for destruction then an actual soul-bearing spirit.

Things aren't the way they wee before

You wouldn't even recognize me anymore

Not that you knew me back then

But it all comes back to me

(In the end) you kept everything inside

And though I tried it all fell apart

Rustle. Someone behind me. I whipped around, barely skimming over the grass, pulling out my pocket-sized blade. I was behind him in an instant, grabbing his two arms and pinning them with one hand, holding the knife to his throat with the other. But to my surprise, he was out of my grip as fast as I had put him in it. Spinning on his heel, he had jerked the knife wielding hand above my head, and with that awkward position, I couldn't react. Just as I got another dose of adrenaline pumped through me, some stray pure white strands of his hair fell down around my face as I noted who it was.

"B-Bakura? Is it…" he let go of my arm and spun me around with his iron grip.

His ridged face immediately softened and a small was drawn to his face. "Yeah, it's me." Bakura suddenly jerked his head up a bit, signalling that he had remembered something. "Oh! Hey, Yami said something about you wrecking havoc downtown. What happened this-?"

"Yami? Pharaoh…Yami? He's back too?"

Bakura looked slightly disgruntled at being interrupted, but replied with a definite tone in his voice. "Yup, Yami, Marik and… Seto. Set." He released my shoulder as I cringed at the name. He smirked disdainfully.

What it meant to me, will it mention me

In a memory of a time when I (tried so hard)

And got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter

I had to fall to loose it all

But in the end it doesn't even matter

Bakura's P.O.V.

I stood there, bracing myself for her reaction but keeping a firm grip on my hidden switchblade. She was very lethal when in shock or ticked off. I silently thanked the gods when she only nodded curtly and gave a deep sigh.

"I…I…dammit." Shinu wobbled unsteadily before completely collapsing onto me. Totally drained, she could hardly hold onto my arms, and I decided the best thing right now would be to give in to the slowly increasing weight and sink to the ground. Placing her carefully on the soft grass, I took off her concealed purse, most likely containing various weapons, though I didn't stop to check. She closed her eyes peacefully, her breathing evening out.

"Man, you've changed, Shinu. Back in a tomb, you never would never have fallen asleep this easily." I laughed half-heartedly. "But then, I guess I've lost some of my past experience too. Taking that long to find you, not following my intuition at all…" Maybe I should go back to my soul room to check on Ryou…

I've put my trust in you

Is that as far as I can go?

For all this, there's only one thing you should know

I've put my trust in you

Pushed as far as I can go

For all this, there's only one thing you should know

I tried so hard, and got so far

But in the end, it doesn't even matter

I had to fall to loose it all

But in the end, it doesn't even matter

Me: ^ ^ now wasn't that cool? I personally think it was the best chapter yet!

Ryou: r/r everyone!!!! (don't forget the piccie)