Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Ways to Drive an Esper Psycho ❯ A time that is almost perfect for an ending ( Chapter 14 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
AUTHOR'S NOTES: First, congrats to Indigo Tantarian, who has beaten Alex Warlorn for first review for Chapter Thirteen.
This chapter is probably sub-par. Sorry. Feel free to be merciless (as long as it makes sense), but please, review.
And no, I haven't got a clue why Chapter Thirteen turned out the way it did.

Fourteen: A time that is almost perfect for an ending
November 8, 2003

"Serpent Night Dragon," Rex muttered. "Megazowler. De-Spell. Raise Body Heat. Dragon Nails. Dragon Treasure. Sword of Deep Seated-WHAT?" Pause, then a sigh as he passed the card to his other hand. "I just hope nobody's going to break down laughing if I have to play it. Two-Headed King Rex…" The clock announced the time to be 5:21 AM.
Two minutes afterward, he put his deck on the dresser and took a well-earned nap on the edge of the bed.

***

Joey ate an entire canister of raisins and three bowls of Cheerios while watching the clock. He even tried a few pickled plums he had bought to see if they would affect his father's problem any (they hadn't). He then moved on to the refrigerator, finishing off both the milk and the orange juice (not to mention a yogurt container that was only a day past the expiration date), then smearing liberal amounts of butter on a piece of bread the size of his palm. That was followed by a tremendous omelet- at least he only ate half of that, saving the rest for Jade.
Now that he had ingested about twice the recommended amount of cholesterol and more-or-less assured an eventual heart attack, he sprawled out on the couch and began drifting downward to sleep, going over dueling strategies even as his eyes shut.
Swordsman of Landstar with Shield and Sword. Panther Warrior with Scapegoats. Red Eyes Black Dragon with Dragon Nails…

***

The clock started playing digitized supposed-to-be-perky-but-actually-incredibly-annoying tones intended to wake anyone up. He promptly woke up, then picked it up and chucked it across the room; it slammed into the door of his closet and fell straight down from there. Rex suspected that the batteries had been knocked out by the impact. Judging by the alarm, it was now seven AM.
He flipped himself out of the bed, this time stepping on Dar's hair. After yet another "sorry" Rex proceeded to grab a pair of socks, answer nature's call, brush his teeth, and nearly knock the floss dispenser into the (thankfully flushed) toilet. He then went to the kitchen, where he carried out experiments involving Parmesan cheese, pepper, and buttered toast. He then began another series of experiments, aided by Dar, involving fast-food restaurant straws and cranberry-raspberry juice; this series was cut short by his parents' interference.
At ten minutes to eight Rex and Dar left the house and ventured into Battle City once more.

***

Joey introduced him to those who asked as Jay Black, his friend who had been overseas for quite a while. Some people inquired as to where overseas he had been. Jade said quite calmly that he had been to China, and proceeded to state some phrases that nobody could understand. "Was that Chinese?" Joey asked him when he was fairly sure there was no one close by.
"I think so," said Jade. "It's just a really old kind, is all."
They had arranged to duel in front of the Game Shop, eight sharp. Joey arrived a half-hour early and spent forty minutes staring at his watch before the door opened.
"Sorry about that," said Yugi, "but he had to go tell off Michael and Hikari again. At least they didn't find the knives." The Puzzle glowed. "Are you ready?"
Joey nodded and took several steps backward, then held out his arm. The projectors launched and the duel began.

***

"Aaron said to stop by," said Dar. "And maybe there'll be something you want there. I know they sell chocolate."
Rex stopped and blinked. "Why would a game store sell that?"
"Why does the library have a selling machine out front when they don't allow the things they sell inside the library?" Dar countered. "To make money, why else?"
"I just hope they've got a good deal on it."
"The feeling is mutual."

***

Shadi decided, given Scale's past history, it was high time to do another check. His first stop- the Roba apartment. He performed the transport ritual and rose up in an empty room.
Shadi, I don't like how this looks…
He went through the other rooms and then agreed with Ankh. Any personal effects of the brothers had gone. There was not a single toy or book or anything but furniture.

***

"Hello. Are you Rex Raptor?"
Rex nodded. "Yeah. Who're you?"
"Chihiro Snow."
"You a Kaiba fan?"
Her eyebrow lifted. "Now why would you think that?"
"You're wearing the same kind of coat."
"Indeed, I am." She turned to Dar. "Job DelaSangre's cousin?"
"Yeah, that would be me."
"Does he know?"
"Of course he knows."
"All right then," said Chihiro, "tell him who we are."

***

"The Roba brothers?" Isis contemplated this for a moment. "The visions are blurry, but I believe someone noticed they were living without any adults. The details should appear in tomorrow's newspaper if you wish to know them."

***

"Joey," said Yami, "I've never seen you do this well since Duelist Kingdom."
Joey drew and smiled. "Well, of course ya haven't. I haven't had a reason to do this well since Duelist Kingdom. I sacrifice a Scapegoat! Panther Warrior, attack Stone Soldier!"

***

"Cassiel's relatives live there," said Chihiro. "Also, a battle was reported, and I wanted to see for myself."
"It's right there," said Dar, and pointed.
"I play one card face down and Kuriboh, in defense mode!"
"Oh, I see what you're up to, Yuge! You're going to multiply him so I can't hit your Life Points!"
Yami groaned. "Why did I ever let you watch me duel Kaiba? Anyway, I play Multiply…"
"DAR!" Jade yelled. "Dar, you got back, didn'tcha? Don't worry, it wasn't like that," he added in Joey's direction.
Joey colored and nodded. "I play Fissure!"
"All right then," said Yami, his confident expression returned full force, "that destroys the monster with the lowest attack power. Their attack powers are all equal. Pick one." Now it was Joey's turn to groan.
Chihiro marched up to the door of the shop and entered. "Solomon Motou?" she called. "I must ask you about something!"

***

The phone rang.
"Hello?"
"This is Zachary Roba. I need to talk to Rex Raptor."
"He's not here right now. Would you like to leave a message?"
Beep.

***

After some words exchanged with Aaron, Scale was provided with a complimentary bulk box of chocolate in exchange for a promise to stay out of the shop. So far he was keeping the promise.
Dar and Job went off to do whatever teenage cousins do.
Rex browsed through the box of singles, four for a dollar. He considered buying Dragonic Attack, but decided against it when he realized he had no warriors to equip it with.
Chihiro ended up giving a long description of her brother Jewel's personality to an intrigued Solomon Motou (AKA Yugi's Grandpa).
Outside, the duel between Yugi Motou and Joey Wheeler dragged on, with plenty of attack negation, life point gain cards, and Jade filling in for Téa's usual role as cheerleader.
All of this was taking place when Shadi rose up from the floor of the Turtle Game Shop. He turned to get his bearing and his elbow hit Rex in the side. Rex whipped around. "Hey! Oh, it's you. Sorry."
"It is quite all right," Shadi assured him. "But tell me, why didn't you send Esper Roba to Anubis?"
Rex blinked. "Oh. I was supposed to?"

***

Draw. Smile. "I use Brainwash to take control of Jinzo. Then, I sacrifice Jinzo and Big Shield Gardna to summon Buster Blader! Buster Blader, attack his Life Points!"
Black Jade shouted something Yugi couldn't make out as Joey was knocked backward by the impact of the attack and slumped to the sidewalk. He shouted it again. "Are you okay?"
"Don't worry, I'm just fine…"
"Now I know you're not."
Joey apparently got the point; he did not protest again as Jade helped him up. Neither did he protest when-
Yugi… tell me I didn't see what I just saw.
If you saw Joey kissing Jade… well, I saw that too. How could I know what you saw?
"Joseph!"
Joey reddened and turned around. "Oh. Um, hi, Mom."

***

The taxi arrived several minutes after Joey's mother had departed with repeated assurances from her son and Jade that no, they didn't do it. Three boys climbed out of it; one looked around Chihiro's age (he had another trenchcoat- Yugi decided that Kaiba's wardrobe was extremely limited), another one looked like he was twelve or so, and they both had the same color hair and eyes as Chihiro. The third one was wearing a standard Domino school uniform and had about the same build as Ailill or Brendan. Chihiro hung up the phone she had been staring at and identified them as they approached. Yugi could already guess the names on the cards, but was grateful to know their personal ones.
The door opened. "Where is he?" said Haku.
Chihiro indicated Yugi, who showed them the Scotch-taped card in his hand.
Sapphire placed his hands so his arms formed handles. "Well, what are you waiting for? Make the wish!"
Yugi turned to Shadi, who nodded. Then he made the wish.