Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ When Normality Strikes ❯ The Non-MSfic ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]
AN: Here's to lending AMSA a hand (and getting Deiru's attention - I HAVE been online! *hughug!*). I'm just here to prove that you CAN have a well-developed OC - or, at least, one who isn't so underdeveloped as to be a Mary Sue. *shudder* This isn't an epic story or one of plot. Just a oneshot to prove a point. And heck, I'll bet you can write an epic YGO fic with a good OC.

Summary: Jounouchi and Yami no Yuugi - from who Yuugi himself learned - are so used to being hounded by "perfect" girls that they're very suspicious of the one who challenges the former to a duel. An example of an OC who ISN'T a Mary Sue.

When Normality Strikes
the unaccustomed will blink

Jounouchi stretched and yawned as he and his small friend Yuugi calmly made their way to a deli.

"Did you sleep well, Jounouchi-kun?" Yuugi asked of the taller boy.

"Eh, yeah, kinda." The blonde sniffed once. "That stupid nightmare woke me up. You know, the one where all those Mary girls tie me to a chair and try to make me tell 'em about my past on the first 'date'." He shivered. "Hate those."

"At least it was just a dream." The shorter boy shuddered at the thought as well. I hope that doesn't mean… He shook his head to rid himself of the idea. That's silly. It was just a dream.

And just as they turned a corner, a decisively cocky female voice called, "Hey!"

The two friends were tempted to run away, and they would have had the shock not been so great. Instead they were rooted to the spot as the girl approached. They heard her steps stop behind them but said nothing.

With her hands on her hips, the girl said, "Aren't you going to turn around? Or do I have to come up in front of you?"

"Wha… What's your name?" Jounouchi articulated.

She crossed her arms and snorted.

"Lynn."

"At least it's not a unisex name," Yuugi muttered.

"Yeah. Or 'Kat'," Jounochi returned in similar tones.

The boys then about faced.

Lynn wasn't exceptionally beautiful, nor was she a hideous freak. She was short (not as short as Yuugi, though), and certainly not athletic, as could be told by her not-developed muscles and light skin tone. She was a redhead with amber eyes and a complexion that wasn't clear on the whole - hints of blemishes appeared here and there despite basic makeup. She had neither dimples (they could tell because she was smiling, evidently a failed attempt at a smirk), nor freckles and wore no glasses. Her attire consisted of a lavender tee with a red heart design in the center, a dark gray skirt over light gray tights, and black kneeboots. She accessorised(1) with a plain wristwatch and simple earrings.

Inside, Jounouchi almost cried as he pleaded for this to be just another dream.

Yuugi, however, tried being polite:

"My name is Yuugi, and this is -"

"I know who you guys are," Lynn cut him off.

Aside, Jou mumbled, "Of course she does."

"You're Yuugi Mutou, winner of the Duelist Kingdom, and you are Katsuya Jounouchi(2), the runner-up. Which is why I wanted to find you." She paused as if for effect, but was really trying to hide her excitement. "I want to duel Jounouchi!"

"Me?" The blonde blinked. "Me? Not Yuugi? Are you sure?"

Lynn eyed him with disbelief.

"What, you think I'm crazy enough to challenge the champion to a duel? I'd lose for sure!"

She has some SENSE! inner!Jounouchi exclaimed.

"But you think you can beat me, is that it?"

"I never said I was going to defeat you. I just said I wanted to duel with you. Are you really so egotistical that you think any challenger just wants to kick your ass?"

"When it's a girl, hell yeah!"

"Okay, then. Be that way. Let's duel and see who beats who."

"You're on!"

Yuugi sighed and put a hand to his head.

"I'm starving… Jounouchi, Lynn, is it possible that we can do this at the deli?"

"O'course, Yuugi." Jou grinned. "Your treat."

*

The three ate, Jounouchi devouring his rather large sandwich, Yuugi content with his normal-sized one, and Lynn having ordered something low-fat.

Once the table was cleared, the blonde pulled out his deck and slammed it on the table, sneering.

"All right. I'm ready."

Lynn nodded. She reached inside her backpack and pulled out a deck of her own. It was simply the cards held together with a rubber band - no fancy black package. The corners looked a little bent, too. When she put them on the table, she looked up to find the boys staring at her and her deck with raised eyebrows and questioning eyes.

"It's my little brother's."

"Aha."

"That explains it."

"So," Jounouchi drawled as he lazily pulled his cards out of their protective box, "you learned how to play from your brother?"

"No." She pulled the rubber band from around the deck. It hit her fingers with a snap. "My boyfriend taught me."

"Wait a minute. Lemme get this straight." Incredulity was engraved in his every facial feature. "You're not looking for a relationship of pure love with me? Or Yami no Yuugi? Or anyone else?"

Lynn blinked at them numerous times, eyebrow raised.

"Why on Earth would I want to do that? I'm perfectly happy with Don."

Yuugi and Jou exchanged glances that said they were impressed (and that they believed the name 'Don' was rather humorous).

"Any more questions, O Great Detective?"

"Just one." Jou leaned forward, hands on the table. He stared her straight in the eyes. "Are you or are you not a Mary Sue in disguise?"

Lynn stood abruptly, slamming her fists on the table and grimacing a bit as she felt the pain that was a came with the display of force.

"I am offended!" she proclaimed after recovering. Then, realizing she was making a scene, she sat down, her face very red, which didn't make her look very cute. Rather, it was a sight to laugh at. (The two across the table from her had a bit of trouble concealing their guffaws.) The redhead cleared her throat and continued. "No, I am not a -" she cringed as she said it "- Mary Sue. I have a neighbor who's a 'Sue, and damn is she annoying. That is, actually, the reason I'm here."

"To get away from the 'Sue?" Yuugi ventured, seeking confirmation after hearing the girl's rather discombobulated statements.

"No - well, that's a perk. But! I came here in hopes that the 'Sue - and, consequently, ALL of her sister 'Sues - should think of getting some flaws or something." She rolled her eyes. "I swear, if she comes at me with her giggly-perky voice again, crying about being insulted by her pet fish - Blood. Will. Flow."

The boys blinked.

"Right, then." Jou smirked as he sat back in his seat. "Let's duel!"

And that they did. Lynn played as best she could, which was amateur level, and lost because, said she, "I'm bad at Parchessi, for pie's sake."

The two friends bid her good-bye as she left the deli and ordered the milkshakes they hadn't bought before because the girl had said they made her break out.

As Yuugi sipped his chocolate shake, Jounouchi took a swig of his strawberry one and sighed happily, like an alcoholic who's been deprived of his favorite thing and is given the chance to have a little.

"I just love being reminded of how good I am."

Yuugi laughed.

"Maybe someday you'll beat me."

"You know, I'd actually like that. But that would be about as canon as me falling in love with Ekaterina or Cyclone(3)."

The boy with multi-colored hair was shaken by a rather violent shiver.

"Please don't mention those names again."

Jounouchi grimaced and nodded.

"You got it. I nearly threw up there."

********

Footnotes:

(1) - heaven knows I can't spell that word, which, by the way, is not in my Webster's

(2) - if I'm not mistaken, Jounouchi is the family name and Katsuya is the given name. I don't read kanji, so I can't say for sure, but I'm almost sure

(3) - 'Sues featured in Chevira Lowe's AMSA: Reloaded

And there you have it. A girl who's not out to steal the hearts of bishounen. I would've developed her more if this were a longer fic, but it's meant to prove a point. And heck, if I ever feel the need to give a little lesson (in lesser degree than Rorie's poignant entry - which I admire ^_^), I'll use Lynn and give her a little depth.