Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ X-ness ❯ Chapter 4

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chappie 4

I can't believe that I`ve kept so many people waiting. I'm really sorry, exams time here so I'm really stressed now.

"Talking"

<Yami/Hikari Link >

::Xavier Mental link::

//Japanese//

`Thoughts'

***

Ryou Bakura sighed as he stared out of the window, watching the town flash by. He still didn't understand why his father agreed to let him stay at this `Xavier Mansion' or whatever it was called. But being the person who hated arguments, he went without complaining. Bakura was partying inside his soul room, thinking about the full month free he would have without the baka-pharaoh. But, as it is, he was very soon to be proved wrong.

Ryou tensed as the Mansion came into view. He didn't like the look of it, despite the many gardens and homely feeling. It looked quite authentic with probably many valuable antiques kept inside. He gulped as he saw Bakura rub his hands inside the soul room.

<Don't you start getting any ideas Bakura, > he said sternly to the thief.

<Aww, can't I just have a little bit of fun? > He asked sourly as Ryou shook his head. Bakura appeared, invisible to the world around him, and sat stiffly next to Ryou. Ryou smiled as Bakura looked nervously out the window. No matter how many times Ryou tried to persuade the spirit that it was all right, Bakura could never get the hang of using taxis. Being a thief meant that you don't trust anyone, especially if you don't know the driver who could take you away in an instant.

<Come on Bakura, relax a little. I've done this so many times and I'm still one piece, right? >

<I suppose,> he grumbled, still forcing himself to look out the window. <Hey, cool looking place up ahead. Is that where we're bunking? > Ryou nodded.

<Yeah, but there will be cameras all over the place so be careful.>

<Oh, I will.> Bakura smirked as he moved closer to Ryou. Ryou's face turned scarlet as Bakura stretched and sat on his lap.

<Uh, Bakura? What are you doing? >

<I'm tired hikari. > he whined. < And it's really, really hot in here as well. > he looked up slyly into Ryou's doe-brown eyes. < You think that I should take off my shirt? >

<We're t-there already, Bakura, > Ryou said forcefully, trying to hide the stammer in his voice. His face was still red, but Bakura got off unwillingly.

<Fine, but I'll get you later. > he looked out the window again. They were coming up the driveway and the Mansion loomed before them. He could see a whole bunch of people standing at the wide doorway. <Looks like you've got a welcoming party, Ryou, > he said. Ryou still refused to look at him. <Hey, look. There's the baka-pharaoh. > Ryou's head snapped up.

<Really? Where? >

<Calm down, it was just a joke. > Bakura grinned as Ryou's face fell, but then instantly brightened again.

<Not as much as a joke as you would like to think Bakura, > he said coyly, pointing at the group. Bakura took a closer look. All he saw were a bunch of smiling faces and…yes, there was that definite mass of spiky hair, just barely visible out of the crowd. Bakura turned pale, even paler than before.

<WHAT THE HELL IS HE DOING HERE???> he screamed, causing Ryou to wince and cover his ears protectively.

<Shush, I don't want I headache Bakura. Not yet anyway. >

<BUT THE F****** PHARAOH IS HERE! HE IS F****** HERE! >

<Listen to me, go to sleep. You said you were tired right? Sleep now and you can talk to him later. > Bakura grumbled but went back to his soul room in a huff, leaving Ryou alone again. Ryou smiled at the thought of not being alone any more. But he wondered how the `F****** Pharaoh' would react.

Ryou held his breath as the taxi stopped in front of the mansion. A dark lady, with hair almost as white as his own, looked at him through the window and helped him out. She smiled reassuringly at him and started walking up to the door. But before Ryou could even start collecting his baggage, he heard a scream.

"RYOU-KUN!!!"

***

Jean gasped as she saw the new student bolt down towards the taxi and crush the newcomer in a tight embrace. The two start babbling happily in Japanese and started walking back towards the X-Men. Scott turned to look at the Professor, waiting for an explanation. Xavier just looked at him, amused.

"Vell, that was unexpected," Kurt bluntly stated.

"Professor, did you know that they knew each other?" Jean asked, watching the two approach them. He shook his head and answered her mentally.

:: No, but they both were broadcasting the same thought waves. I was expecting this, but I wasn't quite certain.:: Jean nodded in understanding and looked back at the two students. Ryou introduced himself and the others nodded a greeting. The Professor smiled and led them inside for lunch.

***

Lunch was quiet; the silence was mostly filled with the clinking of cutlery and glasses. But Yugi had something nagging him, since he found out that he wasn't the only exchange student.

"Xavier-san? I was wondering…" Charles looked up, his face kind and gentle. "Um, was is Ryou here?" The Professor smiled.

"Is there a reason why he shouldn't?" he said with a hint of laughter in his voice.

"No, it's just that English is his first language and I don't think he needs to learn anymore." Ryou nodded with agreement. He gently nudged his dark awake and told him, < Bakura, can you tell whether this man is lying? > Bakura grumbled, but agreed, as he wanted to find out what the purpose of this trip really was. Of course being able to tell what was the truth and what wasn't was the good side of being a thief. Logan and Ororo frowned at the question. They hadn't thought about that. But Xavier obviously had.

"Ryou's father is a good friend of mine, and he decided to let you go for the experience," he explained and smiled at the albino.

< Liar! > Bakura snarled and he let his distrust show. Ryou's hair flared up and his eyes narrowed as Bakura forced his way in.

"Somehow, I don't think so," he growled, surprising the rest of the students. "His father never mentioned knowing you and-" Luckily, Yugi noticed the change quickly and kicked Bakura as hard as he could. Bakura yelped and quickly retreated back into the soul room, leaving Ryou in control, looking a bit dazed. Jean looked confused and glanced at Scott. He shrugged and went back to gazing at the new students.

//What just happened? // Ryou mumbled in Japanese, looking at Yugi. Yugi raised a finger to his lips and shook his head. The X-Men looked at them curiously.

::What on earth was that about Professor?:: Jean asked Xavier. Xavier frowned and asked the same thing to Logan and Ororo. They shook their heads, meaning that they didn't know either.

:: He seemed very different to when he first came, :: Ororo stated, looking back at Ryou, who was now eating his lunch quietly.

:: Yes, I don't know what provoked that change. But I noticed his thoughts went haywire when I answered young Yugi's question. But I still don't understand why he said `his' father. :: He looked thoughtfully at the pair, and noticed that Yugi had finished and was now looking into space. Charles saw that strange dazed look in his eyes, and decided to try seeing what was really going on. Gently and quietly, he probed Yugi's mind, only to find it blocked with numerous defences and barriers. He tried again but the walls bit back, harsher than before. But before Xavier moved back, he could have sworn he heard a scream.

***

"ARRRGGGHHH, WHY IN F****** HELL IS HE HERE???" Yami hollered. Yugi was sitting in his soul room, on the bed. Seeing that his Hikari was giggling slightly, the spirit turned on him.

"IT'S NOT FUNNY!"

This merely made Yugi laugh even more but he forced Yami into calming down.

"Yami, it's okay. Ryou has him under control, and I don't think that anything could happen," Yugi said reassuringly. Yami crossed his arms and looked at him disbelievingly. Yugi shrugged. "But if he does get into trouble, it's your job to keep an eye on him."

"WHAT? I AM NOT THE TOMB ROBBER'S NANNY!" Yami screamed once again. He shouted a bit more about how he was a Pharaoh and how he shouldn't be doing this kind of job. Yugi simply giggled some more and waited for Yami to get his breath back.

"I should be going Yami, I've probably been in here too long." Yugi got up from the bed.

"Ah, wait Hikari." Yugi stopped. "About ten minutes ago, I felt someone trying to get in your mind."

"Huh? Did they see anything?" Yugi asked sharply. He did not want Yami to be found out so soon, especially since they were so far away from other Millennium Holders, minus Ryou. But Yami shook his head.

"Don't worry. I built walls before we got here and besides, your natural defences should be enough to keep them out. Don't forget, we need to do some training later." Yugi shook his head. Most of the time, he enjoyed training his magical powers with Yami. It was quite tiring and hard, but he enjoyed it none the less. Problem was where could they work?

***

Xavier watched Yugi Motou carefully. He still seemed to be daydreaming and Ryou was fidgeting, glancing at the duel king every now and then. The Professor cleared his throat.

"So Yugi, will you be ready to go to school tomorrow?" Seeing that the boy didn't answer, Xavier frowned. Ryou noticed this and jabbed Yugi in the ribs. Yugi blinked and looked around.

// What are you doing? // Ryou muttered in a low voice. Yugi blushed and grinned apologetically.

"Sorry Professor, I'm still a bit tired from the trip."

Scott and Jean nodded, that made sense. But the elder X-Men seemed to be concerned by Yugi's behaviour. However, they knew that it was only his first day and didn't ask him anything.

***

"So, this is your room." Jean and Scott showed the two boys to a bedroom. They would be staying in one room together for the trip. Yugi gazed around in awe. It was way bigger than he expected, but quite empty. Much like a hotel. But Ryou just looked around tiredly and flopped down onto a bed. Jean smiled at him. "Do you want any help unpacking?"

"Hai," came a muffled answer from Ryou, still face down on the bed. Jean and Scott quickly opened some of his bags and started going through its contents. Yugi stopped whatever he was doing and gazed in fear at Ryou. Whatever was he thinking? He knew that Bakura had sneaked a few things in. What would happen if they found some? Bakura had realised the same thing and was shouting from his soul room. But Ryou merely smiled and watched the two teens empty out his things.

"Here, let me help." Yugi ran over and also started looking through Ryou's bags, hoping to hide some of the things they might find suspicious. Too late.

"Um, Ryou?" Scott's voice had a note of surprise in it. "What on earth is this?" What he held up was a high quality CZ 2077 RAMI handgun, luckily unloaded. Yugi's throat grew dry. What were they going to say?

"Oh, that?" Ryou rolled over and swiftly took it from Scott's grasp. He sat up, took some ammo from his pocket and expertly loaded it in a record time. Hearing that satisfying `click' as he slid the last bullet in, he smiled at all of them. "Just for self-defence. I get bullied sometimes you know." Jean turned pale. What was he talking about? Was he saying that he used that on someone? Seeing the shocked looks on Scott and Jean's faces, he let out a laugh. "No, not really. Just use it for shooting `clay pigeons.' He could see them let out a sigh of relief.

"Well, um, we'll just let you finish unpacking,' Jean said quietly. They both left the room. Yugi turned on Ryou.

//Why did you let them see that? // He asked angrily. Ryou shrugged.

//I've been taking lessons from Bakura, // he said in a matter-of-factly voice. //Besides, it's just a practice gun. And I like watching a reaction like that. // Yugi sighed.

//Well, we better finish unpacking. // Ryou got off the bed and knelt down next to his bags.

//I'll let Bakura do this, // he mumbled and for a moment, the Millennium Ring let off a faint glow. Bakura straightened and looked at Yugi.

//Why the hell did he do that?// he muttered angrily and started picking out his things from the bags: lock-picking kit, several more guns, rope, penknives and many more. Yugi shook his head.

//I hope you haven't been influencing him, Bakura,// he said faintly. The thief gave him a mock look of surprise.

//Who? Me? //

//Yes, you. Now wait, Yami is coming out. He needs to get his stuff as well. //

//No-!// His plead came too late and the Puzzle for a fraction of a second and the older face of Yami glared up at him.

// What are you doing here tomb robber? // He growled.

// I should be asking you the same thing. // A fight quickly started and Yugi shook his head inside his soul room.

//This is going to get very interesting,// he said to no-one.

***

Phew. Finally chapter four finished!