Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / Fan Fiction / .hack//Legend Of Twilight Bracelet Fan Fiction ❯ To Be A Legend ❯ Chapter 1: In The Beginning ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

To Be A Legend
 
Drof: What is it with me and weird cross-overs?
 
Readers: ….WHAT IS IT WITH YOU AND MAKING NEW FICS INSTEAD OF UPDATING?!!!
 
Drof: MEEP!!! *hides.* SOWWY!! I got a good idea…8.8 Don't be mad!! I have serious Writer's Block for all my other fics!!! I'll update soon!!! I promise!!!
 
BHS: …She's kinda pathetic…
 
Karasu: Hm…Cringing, whining, annoying, stupid, and absolutely pathetic…Who does she remind me of?
 
Ford: I think Karasu's making fun of you, BHS…
 
BHS: …¬.¬ That's not nice…8.8
 
Karasu: …Since when was I a particularly nice person?
 
BHS: …Um…When the pyramids were still young?
 
Karasu: …I'M NOT THAT OLD!!!
 
BHS: …You're still old…
 
Karasu: I AM NOT OLD!!!
 
BHS: …Yes, you are.
 
Drof: I'm starting the fic now…They'll argue like this for hours…-_-0
 
Disclaimer: Ford owns nothing, `cept the OCs. And this pathetic fic. And, she also owns a manga-thingie she's working on. And…..ZANE, YOU STILL OWE ME TEN BUCKS AND A NEW MANGA!!! *He knows who he is….*
***
Chapter 1: In The Beginning
 
 
“Alright…” the character said. He was around five feet or so, dressed in dark green clothes, with spiky hair that was a lighter green color. He had two red triangle-like marks on his cheeks, and carried two daggers at his waist.
 
“Yasuhiko, where are you?!” he asked after a moment of looking around.
 
“I'm right behind you,” a gruff, deep voice said from behind him. He jumped about three feet in the air, and turned around, looking at the man standing there. This man was taller than him, with red hair and blue stripe-marks all over his body. He wore blue armor, and carried a rather large sword.
 
“Hey!” the boy said. “You look so different!! Nothing like the real Yasuhiko…”
 
“Hey, I told you not to call me that!” the man said. “My name in The World is Orca. Or-ca! Like the whale.”
 
“Sorry, Yasu…I mean, Orca,” the boy said.
 
“So, what's your name?” Orca asked.

“Kite.”
 
“Kite, huh?” Orca said. “Nice.”
 
“Shut up…” Kite said. “I like the name!”
 
“I'm not criticizing!!” Orca responded. “Don't be so defensive.”
 
“Sorry.”
 
“So, now, we're gonna go to our first area…” Orca said, after a moment. He gestured to the large, floating blue gate in front of them. “This is the Chaos Gate. You use it to enter different areas and other servers. All you do is go up to it, and enter in the name of the area you want to go to. Just be sure not to go to an area that's too far above your level…or it's game over for you.”
 
Kite nodded, trying to absorb all this new information.
 
“Where are we going?” he asked.
 
“For starters, a beginner's area called `Bursting Passed Over Aqua Field',” Orca told him. “It's an easy area, with a low level and few monsters.” He started to enter the code into the gate, then stopped, and slapped his hand to his forehead.
 
“I almost forgot!” he said, turning to Kite. “You need to join my party before we can go anywhere!”
 
“How do I do that?” Kite asked.
 
“First,” Orca told him, “you need my Member Address. Here you go.”
 
On Kite's screen, the words `You've Received Orca's Member Address!' appeared.
 
“Now, you go to Party, select Add, and click my name. That sends me a Flash Mail inviting me into your party,” Orca said. After Kite did this, the man smiled and said, “Kinda weird mailing each other when we're face-to-face, huh? I accept. Now I'm in your party. See, my picture appears at the bottom of your screen.”
 
“Cool…” Kite said. “Can we go now?” Orca laughed.
 
“Aren't you the eager one,” he said. “Alright.” He finished entering the code into the gate, and they both disappeared.
 
Unbeknownst to the two of them, they had been being watched the entire time.
 
“So,” one of these observers said, “what do you think?” Her voice was high-pitched, although not annoyingly so, and just by listening to her you could tell she was cheerfully forgetful and airheaded. She was very short, not even four and a half feet, and came up to the other's stomach.
 
“I think,” he said, his voice dark and smooth, almost musical, “that something rather…interesting…is going to happen. To those two.”
 
“Should we follow them?” the girl asked. The boy shrugged, and walked up to the gate.
 
“Sure,” he said. “Why not?”
 
After entering the same code Orca had, they too, disappeared.
***
“Hm…” Kite said, looking around. All around him, for as far as he could see, were grassy hills.
 
“This is an Earth element area,” Orca said. “All areas have elements, and those elements affect the kind of monsters there.”
 
“I see,” Kite said.
 
“Here, there's a portal,” Orca said, after looking around a bit. He pointed to a large, yellow collection of revolving lines and dots. “Walk towards it.” Kite did so, and jumped back in surprise as it disappeared, and a small goblin ran towards him.
 
“It's a weak monster!” Orca called. “Use a basic attack to kill it. You know how to do that, right?”
 
“Yeah!” Kite said, slashing at the monster with his knives. He hit it, and it fell to the ground.
 
“There,” Orca said proudly, “you've killed your first monster. Congratulations!”
 
“Yeah,” Kite said, smiling.
 
“And, you gained experience from that!” Orca added. “You're at level two now.”
 
“Cool!” Kite said.
 
“Do you see the treasure chests that appeared?” Orca asked him. “Go over to the brown one and open it.” When Kite did, he found a Healing Potion inside.
 
“Now, see the blue one?” Orca asked, walking over to it. “It's trapped. That's how you know, by the color. You have to use a special item to disarm the trap, otherwise, you're screwed.” He pulled out a small wire from some non-existent pocket, and squatted down in front of the chest. After a few moments of fiddling with the lock, the chest turned brown and popped open. Orca pulled another Healing Potion out, and gave it to Kite.
 
“That was the Fortune Wire I used,” he said. “It's very useful, so you had better buy some when we get back to town. For now, though, we're going to the dungeon.”
 
As he and Kite made their way to the dungeon, talking all the while, the two who'd been watching them followed.
“So it really is Orca…” the girl breathed. The boy rolled his eyes, and lightly whacked her head.

“Who'd you think he was?” he asked.
 
“I just wasn't sure!” the girl said defensively. “After all, why would Orca go through all this trouble just to tell a newbie about the game?”
 
“Obviously, that newbie's a friend of his,” the boy said. “It's simple logic.”
 
“Yeah…But how many people can claim to be friends of Orca?” the girl said thoughtfully.
 
“There's Balmung…” the boy said, his tone turning sour.
 
“What have you got against Balmung?” the girl asked. “He's a good person!”
 
“I dislike goody-goodies,” the boy said, “and if Balmung isn't one, I don't know who is.”
 
“You just say that…” the girl said. “You're pro'lly afraid he'd try to ban you or something!”
 
“I'm hardly a normal sight in The World,” the boy said dryly.
 
“Yeah,” the girl said, “but neither am I, and I do just fine.”
 
“You're human,” the boy said. He turned away from the girl, signaling that the conversation was at an end, and started walking after the other two. “C'mon, we're gonna lose them.”
 
“He always does this…” the girl sighed. “Is it really such a big deal?” Then, she realized she was being left behind. “Hey!” she called, running after the boy. “Wait for me! Wait!”
***
“This is the dungeon,” Orca said, pointing to the steps leading into the hole in the ground. “The monsters in here are stronger than the monsters in the field, and there's several levels to the dungeon.”
 
“Do the monsters get stronger the further down you go?” Kite asked. Orca nodded.
 
“That's right,” he said. “C'mon, let's go.” With that, he and Kite walked into the dungeon, with two others following close behind.
 
“It's dark…” Kite said, after they had entered the first room.
 
“Yeah,” Orca agreed sarcastically, “it's underground.” They started walking forwards, but before they could go to the next room, everything froze. Suddenly, a girl, dressed entirely in white and apparently floating, came through the hall, pursued by a large, white monster holding a big red wand. She turned, and for a moment, looked straight at them all. Then, she continued to flee the monster, which continued to follow.
 
After she left, everything went back to normal speed.
 
“Whoa!” Kite said. “Orca, what just happened?”
 
“I don't know…” Orca said. “But it wasn't normal.”
 
“We have to help her!” Kite said, running after the long-gone girl and the monster.
 
“Something like that…” Orca whispered to himself. “On this level?” He shook his head, and followed after Kite.
 
“Was that…?” the girl asked.
 
“I think it was,” the boy replied.
 
“Let's go check it out,” the girl said. She and the boy traded looks, and then both ran after Orca.
***
“Which way…?” Kite asked, looking at the room. There were three different doorways, all identical.
 
“Let's just go down the middle,” Orca suggested. Kite nodded, and they ran down the middle hallway. This led to another room, with a portal in it.
 
“We have to defeat the monster in order to leave the room…” Orca said.
 
“Well, let's beat it!” Kite said impatiently. “We needa help that girl!” He ran towards the portal, and then ran right back to Orca, after it revealed not one, but three monsters. Orca sighed, and fought the monsters, easily defeating them.
 
“Let's go,” he said, walking through the door after it opened. Kite ran after him, pulling up even with him, and then ahead of him. Orca shook his head as he jogged along. “Don't know where he gets the energy…” he muttered.
 
“Slow down!” he called. “I'll lose you if you don't.” Kite sighed, but slowed down enough that Orca could catch up with him.
 
“Only one door…” Kite muttered. “It must have been this way!” Sure enough, as soon as he went through the door, they saw the girl and the skeleton-thingie again. This time, everything flickered, and suddenly they were all in a different place. In the distance, several tall towers could be seen. And facing them was the girl, who'd started it all.
 
“Here!” she said in a quiet, childlike voice. She handed Orca a large book. “Take it.”
 
“What is this?” Orca asked.
 
“It is….a book. And it is a great force. The power it holds can bring forth either destruction….or salvation, at the whim of the user,” the girl said. “Keep it safe, please.” Orca looked at her, and nodded.
 
“I will,” he said. Just then, the giant skeleton-thingie appeared.
 
“Oh no…” the girl said. Kite tensed, ready to attack, but Orca stopped him.
 
“It'll kill you!” he said. “Let me take care of it.” He ran forward, and began striking at the thing's legs. Every strike missed, and as he continued to do no damage, his swings became sloppier.
 
“Why can't I hit it?!” he demanded, swinging wildly. “Why?!” Standing well out the way, the boy and the girl watched this with wide eyes.
 
“It is!” the boy whispered.
 
“No way! I thought she got rid of it!” the girl said.
 
“Well, she obviously didn't,” the boy said. After a few more moments of Orca swinging wildly and failing miserably to hit the monster, it appeared to become tired of the game. It hit Orca, and green scales appeared around him. They fell away with a cracking sound, and Orca was lifted into the air, with the red wand behind him. He struggled to get away, but couldn't move. The monster held out its hand towards him, and a shining bracelet-like thing appeared around its wrist.
 
The bracelet shot several streams of color towards Orca, who yelled loudly at this. After a moment, it stopped, and he fell to the ground.
 
“Orca!” Kite yelled, running over to him.
 
“It…it wasn't supposed to be like this!” Orca cried. “I'm sorry…” With that, he disappeared in a flash of light. The book, all that was left of him, disappeared into the sky. Kite turned, and glared at the monster.
 
“You!” he yelled. He raised his blades, ready to run at it, when it turned the bracelet towards him. His eyes widened in fright, as the monster slowly prepared to do to him what it had done to Orca. He raised his right arm in front of him in a defensive measure, although he knew it wouldn't help.
 
Just as he was about to meet the same fate as Orca, what appeared to be a giant *and I mean `giant'* tuning fork slammed into the ground between them. The monster looked up, startled, and everything flickered.
***
“Oww…” the girl muttered, sitting up. She looked around, and sighed. “Great…we're in some ruined town.”
 
“Seems kinda familiar, huh?” the boy asked. A slight sound was heard, and they looked towards Kite, who had shifted slightly. He lay facedown on the ground, still unconscious. The book floated down from the sky, and after a moment of indecision, it disappeared into his back.
 
“That was weird…” the girl observed.
 
“You two…” a voice said. They looked up, to see a woman. She wore a white robe, open at the front, with only a piece of cloth wrapped around her chest, just barely covering her. On her head was a large white hat-thingie, with a red visor covering her eyes.
 
“Helba,” the boy muttered sourly.
 
“Say,” the girl said, “you lost your tuning fork.”
 
“It's not a tuning fork,” Helba sighed. “That's not the point though. You two...As you know, your arrival in this game was very unusual. This boy is, in a way, like you. His presence guarantees strange happenings in this game, and I want you two to stay with him and watch over him. In a game where every event has been predetermined and tested over and over to weed out any quirks, things like your arrival and what just happened are very unusual, and signal great events.”
 
“Listen, Helba,” the boy said, “I already have enough problems without having to save this world, or any other. I don't care how unusual or great the events to follow are. I want no part of any of this. I didn't in the first place, and that's even truer now. Besides, we already did what you asked!”
 
“…I see,” Helba said. “You know you won't have a choice. And, how about you?” she asked, turning to the girl. The girl thought for a moment, then sighed.
“I always get dragged along…” she sighed. “I might as well go of my own free will, for once. I'll try, but I can't promise anything…I have enough trouble taking care of myself, without having to look out for a confused newbie.”
 
“Bold words for someone like you,” Helba pointed out. The girl sighed again.
 
“I know…” she said. “But it's all I have to say.”
 
“Alright then,” the woman said. “I'll leave now. I suggest you two get him and yourselves to the nearest Root Town. This place is not at all safe.” With that, she turned and walked away.
 
“Gods, I hate her,” the boy said vehemently, once she was gone.
 
“She helped us a lot,” the girl reminded him.
 
“Because of her, our lives went to hell in a handbasket,” the boy retorted. “And I'd thought mine was already there.”

“It's not so bad!” the girl protested.
 
“Whatever,” the boy said. He walked over to Kite, and picked him up, slinging him over his shoulder like a sack of potatoes. “Let's get him back to town before something eats us.”
 
“Kay!” the girl said, following merrily behind him. Little did they know that their lives were about to take a drastic turn.
 
They had no idea that soon, they would be embroiled in a quest to unravel the secrets of the game known only as The World. They had no clue that they were about to become the most wanted outlaws in the game. And, they were totally oblivious to the fact that what they did was going to be passed down through legends for hundreds of years afterwards.
 
Nope, all they knew was that they were getting away from this ruined place in between the towns and the Chaos Gate before something bad happened. They knew nothing about Kite, except that he was a low-level Twin Blade who had been witness to some odd events.
 
Poor, clueless souls. I feel rather sorry for them.
***
Drof: There! Who can guess the identities of the two mysterious people?
 
BHS: No one ever answers these…She says to guess, and you don't!! WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?!!!