Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / Gensomaden Saiyuki Fan Fiction ❯ Middlemen ❯ Enter the water sprite ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Category: Saiyuki/YYH Crossover, TWT, Yaoi, partial AU
Warnings: shonen ai, slight humor, will have lemon content
Pairings: Gojyo+Hiei, Bui+Hiei, Kurama+Hiei, will be KuramaxHiei, HakkaixGojyo
Author: Arigatomina
Website/Complete Archive: http://www.geocities.com/arigatomina
Email: arigatoumina@hotmail.com

Middlemen

Part 3: Enter the Water Sprite

The moment they set foot on Makai soil, Botan's happy expression changed. With wide, bright eyes, the girl hovered at the edge of the portal. "They should be right over there," she pointed. "I'd introduce you, but I really have to go now. Hiei knows them. Good luck!"

Kurama barely had time to open his mouth before the girl disappeared, taking the exit with her. "What...?"

"Can't blame her," Hiei muttered.

"Is-" A low chuckle interrupted him, and Kurama turned sharply, his eyes narrowed by habit. This was the Makai after all. The demon who stepped out from behind a tree to their left was smiling, but there was definitely mischief in his glinting, wine-red eyes.

"The lady rushed off too quickly for me. That's always the way." Giving a dramatic shrug, the tall man turned his gaze to the two of them. His hair was mostly pulled back in a low tail, but long strands fell over his face, the same shade as his dark red eyes. He brushed a hand through it as his gaze dropped to Hiei. "But I'm satisfied. Hotaru no kuroi...I missed you more than the lady."

"Ho-hotaru...?!" Kurama's mouth dropped open, very wide green eyes snapping to Hiei. The little demon's left eyebrow was twitching something awful. But the man who'd just called him a black firefly was still standing, completely unburnt by the expected retaliation. "Hiei...?"

"And you must be the youko," the man smiled, his eyes moving over Kurama in a very slow sweep. "You do look the part."

Hiei snorted when the kitsune looked highly insulted. "Kurama, meet the kappa."

"A kappa?" Kurama raised an eyebrow at the water sprite, who was giving him a very suggestive stare. "That explains it."

"Only half," the tall man smiled, "on my mother's side."

"Are you going to introduce yourself, or stand there flirting all day?" The three turned as another man moved toward them, his hair short and dark brown. He wore a round glass over his right eye, but the other was green and friendly. With a passing nod to Hiei, he moved directly to Kurama. "I am Hakkai. I see you've already met Gojyo."

"Ah," Kurama drawled, shooting a dark look at the grinning redhaired man. "Kurama."

"Koenma-san warned that the third would not be coming, so it looks like the four of us will be making the trip to Touga-sama's fortress. If you are rested, we could begin immediately and talk on the way."

The darkhaired man had a soft, polite manner that put Kurama at ease, and he found himelf returning Hakkai's gentle smile. "Yes, we're fine to travel. Is it far from here?"

"A day's walk," Hakkai said. He waved a hand in the direction of the still rising sun that was just visible through the canopy. "If all goes well, we can be there by tomorrow afternoon. The talks are scheduled to begin the day after tomorrow, so we have plenty of time."

Hiei sniffed, scowling as Gojyo sidled over to him. "I could be there in less than an hour," he muttered.

"Now, now," Gojyo said, smiling down at him. "We can't have you flitting off, you're far too important. Wouldn't want anyone to snatch you up on the way."

A dark sleeve just brushed his hand, and Kurama blinked when he found Hiei a foot closer to him than he'd been a moment ago. The demon's eyebrow was twitching again, and he was surprised at the amount of control Hiei was exhibiting. He'd have expected the impudent redhead to have been dead by now.

"I'm sure you don't need the protection," Hakkai smiled, seemingly oblivious to Gojyo's flirting. "But we are acting as a sort of honor guard. Bui was supposed to join us to oppose the third, but as he didn't come, it's just us. He was rather disappointed. I hear you also met him in the Ningenkai a few years ago?"

Kurama nodded, once again finding himself calmed by the man. He had an amazing aura around him, it almost reminded him of Yukina in a way - completely oblivious to his partner's bad behavior. Cloth brushed his right hand again, and he gaped. Hiei's head was down, his hands curled into obviously angry fists. A muscled arm was curved over the demon's shoulders, almost pulling him up against Gojyo's side. After a second of shock at the fact that Hiei wasn't fighting, Kurama turned his eyes to the taller demon.

"Loosen up," Gojyo teased, giving Hiei a gentle shake. "What's the matter? You two aren't seeing each other or anything, right? No need to be so shy."

Hiei growled, but didn't look up. "Kissama..."

With a quick laugh, Gojyo eased up, leaving a light hand on Hiei's right shoulder. He turned sparkling eyes to the youko and smiled when he found the redhead glaring at him. "What? You two aren't lovers, are you? I'm not the type to go traipsing over someone else's territory, if you catch my drift. Just say the word and he's all yours."

With a snort, Hiei shrugged the hand off his shoulder, finally looking up at him. "Idiot."

The black clad demon moved away from them, walking slowly in the direction Hakkai had pointed earlier, and Gojyo sniffed, pouting. "Eh...didn't mean to make him mad..."

"Don't be so pushy," Hakkai admonished, his knowing smile proof that he was used to the man. "You know he isn't interested."

"Sure he is," Gojyo smirked, "who wouldn't be? Aside from you, of course." He ran a quick hand over Hakkai's head, mussing his hair. Then he turned to Kurama. "And maybe you," he said, raising an eyebrow when he found the kitsune still glaring at him. "You *aren't* lovers...are you?"

"No," Kurama said sharply. "But that doesn't give you rights to treat him that way. I'm surprised he didn't kill you."

"Who'd want to kill me?" Gojyo asked, blinking suddenly wide eyes at him. "It's not like I tried to jump him or something."

The man honestly looked surprised, and Kurama frowned at him. He'd already made up his mind to hate the demon, but he really did seem taken back by the idea that Hiei might kill him for his actions. That made no sense, Hiei was very open about getting rid of those who annoyed him. The only exception was Kuwabara, but he liked him despite his insults. Hakkai moved in front of them, and Kurama blinked, taking in the man's soft smile.

"We should go now. I don't think Hiei will wait for us much longer."

Kurama blinked again, surprised to see Hiei standing a few yards from them. The demon was leaning against a tree, looking in the other direction. With a nod to Hakkai, Kurama pointedly ignored Gojyo and moved to join his friend. Hiei stepped beside him when they passed, and he sent a quick look down at him. He still looked angry, but not as much as he'd have expected. But now that he thought about it, he'd never actually seen someone flirt with Hiei, certainly not so openly. He and Yusuke were the only ones who'd ever dared to so much as tease the dangerous youkai. Did he not know how to handle it? Or did he really not mind? Gojyo moved to walk on the other side of Hiei, and Kurama's eyebrow twitched when the man dropped a casual hand on the small demon's shoulder. Hiei didn't so much as falter in his tracks. That decided it. Kurama definitely did not like the kappa.

* * *
TBC