Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Kurama meets the God of Death ❯ Fear, sap, and unnaturally green eyes ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Warnings and Disclaimer: I don't own Gundam Wing, Yu Yu Hakusho, or the hotties portrayed therein. *Sigh*
 
Shounen ai (1x2, 3x4, KxH), language, attitude, ouchiness, fluffiness, hot thieves, AU, OOCness… some grossness to show how scared Hiei can make his enemies (see the second paragraph - I tried to put it gently! I don't normally put stuff like that into my fics, but I figured hey, why not?)
 
I'M BACK! *Tee-hee* … But probably not for long - another LONG semester of law school is coming up on Monday, so I decided to update my most popular fic while I still could! Hope y'all enjoy it!!!
 
Kurama Meets the God of Death 5
 
In Kurama's (normal) world and time…
 
Koenma had set up a “meet and greet” for the remaining spirit detectives (Hiei, Yusuke, and Kuwabara) to meet the leader of the three-demon conspiracy which had sent Kurama to an inescapable prison colony in the distant future. It wasn't going so well…
 
*Sigh* “Hiei, please stop poking him in the throat with your sword - it's making him nervous.” The understatement of the year - the tall demon had *ahem* lost control of his bladder when Hiei had thundered in, sword out and his most fearsome glare going full-blast.
 
“I will release the scum when he tells me when and where I can find my… that is… Kurama.” Hiei looked a little less fearsome as he blushed at his slight indiscretion.
 
“Yeah, we wouldn't mind having our genius back.” Yusuke added, trying to cover for Hiei, since he kind of felt bad for the little fire demon. I mean, it was just ssssooooo obvious why Hiei was so upset that Kurama wasn't around. It was the only reason that Yusuke let Hiei take over and run the show. The boy had it bad for the fox. Not that Hiei would ever admit it and not that Yusuke would ever even joke with Hiei about it - he liked his head just where it was, thank you very much!
 
“Yeah… and stuff…” Yusuke rolled his eyes as his best friend Kuwabara put his two cents in. Maybe it was more like half a cent.
 
The tall demon on the floor in front of them in a puddle of his own… well as I was saying, the demon was nearly scared to death and his face was covered in sweat as his eyes darted back and forth between the spirit detectives. He was probably only capable of speech because Koenma had promised him that he wouldn't be killed (or tortured too much) if he cooperated.
 
“H-he…” He started, then gulped and squeaked in fright as Hiei turned his full attention to him.
 
“I-I…” He started again. Hiei just looked at him like he was the lowest scum on Earth and didn't make a move to attack him. Finally regaining his courage (um… kind of…), he continued to try to convey everything he knew about what had happened to the spirit detectives' friend. “Th-there's nothing I can do - they're the only ones who can get you there or get him back - I don't really have any powers - I just gave them the idea for it. I can't guarantee that they'll help you, even if you torture them - they really have it in for that fox demon.”
 
“Why would they hate Kurama?” Hiei asked, as if the thought of the ex-thief, ex-murderer being hated by anyone was a surprise.
 
“I-I don't know… something to do with knowing him when he was younger… I really don't know - you'd have to ask them… but it must have been something awful for them to send him to that place.”
 
“Do you know anything else about where he was sent - other than that it's hard to get out of?” Yusuke asked.
 
“`Hard to get out of'?” The tall demon scoffed. “You've gotta be kidding me - even the great Youko Kurama couldn't get out of there - that's why we sent him there, after all! Why would we send HIM somewhere that would just be `hard' to get out of? We want him to die there. To rot in Hell.”
 
Hiei growled and the demon scooted back, cowering. “At least, that's what they want - I just gave them the idea - I didn't really have anything to do with it and I don't hate that murdering, thieving...”
 
The demon stared, stunned to see a bleeding stump where his left hand used to be. Hiei was being restrained by Yusuke, Koenma, and Kuwabara. When he'd finally settled down some, he asked in a (somewhat) calm voice, “Where can I find these two bast-… I mean, gentlemen?”
 
“W-what are you going to do to them? If they know that I told you…” The demon sputtered.
 
“I don't think it's them that you have to worry about.” Yusuke said, cracking his knuckles menacingly.
 
The demon whimpered in pain and fear, and finally told them. “Y-you know those w-warehouses downtown? Well…”
 
In Duo's room…
 
As soon as Duo stirred, Heero woke up and moved to his side. He didn't say anything - he just observed the braided pilot.
 
Duo woke up silently and didn't open his eyes or move until he was sure of where he was. He heard certain noises (the creak of the house settling, the air conditioning with its particular squeaks and rattles) which told him that he was in his room at the safe house. He shifted slightly and heard a rustle in the room. He stopped moving instinctively and listened. He could feel that someone was looking at him, so he opened his eyes cautiously and sighed in relief when he saw that it was Heero. Then his eyes widened and he sat up quickly.
 
“How did I get here? And where's Kurama?” He looked Heero up and down suspiciously. “You didn't kill him did you?”
 
Heero blinked at the quick barrage of questions, wondering where to start and whether he should ask his own questions first. He opened his mouth, then shut it again when Duo started talking again.
 
“Shit! That hurt! And by the way, I was joking - I figure he's under observation first until you can figure out what to do with him and whether he's on our side or not. He's on our side, by the way. But… how did I get here? Did one of you come to get me? No. Kurama helped me out and then…”
 
Heero finally got a chance to talk when Duo paused to think. “You came here in Deathscythe, although I'm not sure how - it is severely damaged. I assume this `Kurama' person is the red-headed young man who was in Deathscythe with you, correct?” At Duo's nod, Heero continued. “He is alive and in the spare bedroom, as far as I know. You shouldn't move very much because you have some serious injuries - broken ribs and possibly some internal bleeding. You were unconscious when you came back and I was unable to wake you - I can only assume that you had a concussion, so I will not allow you to go back to sleep until you have been thoroughly examined.”
 
Duo opened his mouth wide at the flood of words from the normally terse pilot. “Wow! You probably didn't talk the whole time I was gone to have that many words saved up!”
 
Heero stared at him in surprise. “How did you…”
 
Duo giggled. “Dude, I was just joking. Didn't really think… well. Heh.” Duo looked a little uncomfortable for a second. “Why didn't you…”
 
“I was worried.” Heero said, back to being as concise as possible. It was the words that surprised the braided pilot into silence.
 
Trying to lighten up the situation, Duo said, “well, buddy, if you were that worried, you should have come to get me so that you could shoot me or someth… hey. What's wrong?”
 
Heero had bowed his head (hiding his eyes under chocolate bangs), grabbed Duo's hand and put it to his forehead. Then he slowly brought the braided boy's hand to his cheek and pressed it there for a minute. “Hey man, what…” Duo stopped when he thought he felt moisture on his hand. Surely the Perfect Soldier wasn't… no… he didn't cry. Just when Duo was thinking his life couldn't get any weirder, Heero peeked up at him through his bangs, brought his hand to his lips and kissed the back of his knuckles tenderly.
 
Duo's jaw dropped. If that wasn't the sweetest thing anyone had ever done to him, he didn't know what was. He was stunned into silence. Again.
 
“I was worried.” Heero repeated, voice quavering slightly with emotion. “I didn't come to get you because I thought that if anyone could get out, it was you. I didn't think… I wanted to… I…” Heero's lower lip quivered and Duo rushed to reassure him.
 
“Hey, there's no way I wanted you to come and get me - me and thief-boy barely made it out! I couldn't stand the thought of you… I mean… argh!” Duo took a deep breath and started again. “Heero… I… there's something I should tell you…”
 
Just then, as if on cue, there was a knock on the door.
 
A few minutes ago, in the guestroom…
 
Trowa was sitting in a chair near the bed where the red-headed boy was sleeping. His legs were stretched out in front of him and his arms were crossed over his chest. He was staring at the floor (probably thinking deep thoughts) when he heard a slight movement from the bed. He glanced up and froze when he saw the red-head looking at him from the bed.
 
The red-head's eyes were a shocking green color: they looked unnatural. Trowa wanted to dismiss them as interesting contacts, but that explanation didn't seem to satisfy him for some reason. He just stared at the new-comer, feeling like a deer caught in the headlights, when he realized that the boy had the same expression and was probably extremely disoriented and confused about where he was.
 
“Um…” Trowa started to talk, but couldn't think of what to say first. He continued to stare at the boy for a second, then mentally rolled his eyes at himself. Start with the basics. “My name is Trowa. Trowa Barton. I am… a friend of Duo's. This is our safe-house - no harm will come to you here.” He spoke calmly, like he was talking to a wild animal that might attack at any time.
 
“Duo…” the red-head said. “Ah. Now I remember. Sorry - I slept so long it seems and had such odd dreams that I wasn't sure what was real and what was just a dream.” His eyes seemed to calm down as he talked and he was smiling slightly by the time he was done speaking. “Oh! Where are my manners? My name is Kurama. Pleased to meet you, Mr. Barton.”
 
“Just Trowa is fine, Kurama.” Trowa replied in the same calm voice from before.
 
“I apologize for my rude staring earlier - as I said, I was not sure whether I was awake or dreaming.” Kurama's manner of speech reminded Trowa of Quatre, which made the tall boy smile.
 
“It's no problem, I assure you.” He said, mimicking the boy's speech patterns. He'd always found that things like that put people at ease and he was glad to see the boy relax further at his words. “Are you feeling all right? You don't have any visible wounds, but you seemed exhausted. I can only assume that you and Duo went through quite an ordeal. Did you meet him at that prison colony?”
 
“Yes, actually. I'm glad they threw us into the same cell - I'm not sure either of us would have gotten out without the other's help. I really don't think they wanted us to leave.”
 
Trowa chuckled at the understatement. “I don't suppose they did. Would you mind if I stepped out for a few minutes to consult with my friends? We need to figure out what to do with you.”
 
Kurama's gaze sharpened when he heard the last sentence. Trowa noticed it and quickly reassured him, “I didn't mean anything like that - it's just that we're in the middle of a war and no where is really safe…”
 
“Was it true what Duo told me earlier? Is the Earth really… gone?”
 
“…” Trowa stared at him blankly, wondering where the boy had been that he didn't know about it. “…yes.”
 
“Ah. I see.” The boy looked down and seemed to think for a while.
 
“Yes, well… I'm going to talk to my friends, all right? Do you need anything?”
 
“No. No, I'll be all right. I just need to think for a minute or two.” Kurama replied kindly.
 
“Then I'll be back in a few minutes.” Trowa started to leave, then turned again, “if either a Chinese boy or a blond-headed boy come in, don't worry - they are also friends.”
 
Kurama nodded in understanding and watched Trowa leave the room. He looked down at the blanket covering him and whispered sadly, “If the Earth is gone, then… Hiei…”
 
TBC…
 
Author's Note: I know there are probably errors in this story (as usual), but don't suggest that I spell-check - it automatically does, and as long as the word exists, it ignores it - so I could write a long sentence that makes no sense whatsoever, but as long as I use real words and there is a subject and a predicate, spell-check and the grammar thing won't say a thing!!! Sorry for the rant!
 
I'm planning on having Hiei go into the GW universe, while Yusuke and Kuwabara stay behind to make sure that the other demons bring H and K back. What do y'all think?
 
Sorry it's been SSSOOOOO long since I updated - I really have been busy - Spring semester sucked (my GPA went down ). But it went back up during my Summer semester . BUT because I had summer school, there was very little time to write - sorry!!! I'm surprised I got a chance to write anything today - my fiancé happened to have to go to work and I'm stuck at home doing laundry and stuff around the house, BUT I figured I could *ahem* take time off to write another chapter! I might have been able to write yesterday, but I drove to my parents' house to see my half-brother for the first time in 12 or so years!!! I also got to meet his wife and two sons (I'm an aunt now! *happy sniff*). Hope y'all enjoy and I'm sorry that I haven't been reviewing other people's fics recently - as I said, I've been REALLY busy.