Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A World so Wrong ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Yu Yu Hakusho nor Inuyasha
 
The moon was almost full casting a silver tint over everything its radiant light touched. The gentle breeze of the wind was relaxing as it blew through the campsite of a group of travelers. It was quiet and peaceful if you ignored a certain impatient hanyou.
 
“Kagome, when is the food going to be ready?” asked the silver haired half demon. His question was directed to a teenage girl, wearing a high school uniform. The girl was from the future. Kagome glared at Inuyasha with her large brown eyes, causing him to flinch and grumble something non intelligent. A small orange haired fox demon jumped on Inuyasha's right shoulder.
 
“You know, you really shouldn't keep bugging her about the food. You've asked about ten times already,” Shippo told Inuyasha, causing the half demon to glare at him.
 
“If you know what's good for you, runt, I would suggest you shut up,” Inuyasha threatened with a growl. Shippo jumped off of Inuyasha's shoulder and ran over to a black haired monk with blues eyes, whom was wearing a purple robe. He went by the name of Miroku. The monk sat Indian style with his staff laid beside him on the ground. Shippo ran up onto his shoulder.
 
“Why argue on such a beautiful night?” Miroku asked, reaching out with his right hand to rub the butt of a brown haired girl. She was the demon slayer by the name of Sango. The brown-eyed girl stiffened at his touch. Shippo jumped out of the way just in time to avoid the punch that collided with the monk's face. The force behind her strike caused him to fall back.
 
“Miroku, when will you ever learn?” Shippo asked, walking over to Kirara. She was a small cat demon with red eyes and two tails. Her paws were black, and she had black strips on her tail with a black diamond on her forehead.
 
“Well, Shippo, you're just full of lessons today. I've got a lesson for you; it's called shut the hell up!” Inuyasha yelled out, annoyed. The kit merely rolled his eyes and began playing with Kirara. It was going to be a long night.
 
0-0
 
A silver fox crept through the large building that was located within the spirit world. There were ogres everywhere, running around with their hands full of paper. They were merely low class demons and were easily eluded by the undetected spirit fox. For the longest, he would creep down a hallway, hear the ogres scampering about, hide in the shadows, and then continue when they were gone. It was pitiful how weak spirit world defenses were.
 
After about an hour of sneaking through the building, the fox finally made it to the basement. According to his informant, the vault which contained the Forlorn Hope, a mirror that granted a wish, provided that it had a sacrifice, was located there. Halfway down the enormous hall, he finally spotted the vault. Could spirit world be any more clichéd with having a large double sliding door at the end of the hall with a padlock to the right of it?
 
Enhancing his senses, the fox stood still with his ears erect and tails twitching slightly. No one was around so now seemed like the perfect time to open the vault. Crouching low to the ground, he made his way silently to the vault. He stood on his hind paws and typed in the password that his informant so generously gave. Looking at the wall on his left, he saw a poster with a picture of a green ogre that read missing. He could still remember the screams for mercy as he hacked the ogre, his informant, into pieces. With an air compressing sound the doors slid apart, revealing countless treasures stacked on shelves that littered the room.
 
The fox's eyes glinted with satisfaction. He hurried in his advancement as he skimmed over the labels under each object. Once again spirit world was clichéd because the items where in alphabetical order. After passing various assortments of swords, jewelry, boxes, books, and other shelved labeled items, the fox finally came upon the label Forlorn Hope and above it on the shelf a weird small mirror. After carefully getting the mirror within his mouth, the fox ran out of the room.
 
Carelessly, without checking his surroundings, the fox didn't think that some one would investigate the open vault. He spotted an ogre running to a large red button on the wall and upon him pressing it an alarm went off with red flashing lights. A masculine mechanical voice over an intercom system kept repeating `code blue.' All doors locked and bars slid down, hoping to contain everything inside. The security lock down seemed tight enough to keep all humanoid and other medium sized creatures contained, but for a fox it was easy to slip through the spaces between the bars that covered all open passages. After everything was closed and locked, a siren sound started to play throughout the intercom.
 
Attention the situation in the living world had reached code red. This is not a drill. Special Defense Force personnel please report for immediate deployment to living world by order of the royal majesty, King Yama. The King would like to thank you in advance for performing this civic duty to him and to all of Spirit World.
 
During this time, nine specially trained troops jumped out of their respective beds and ran to four poles in the room. They slid down the poles, ran to their lockers, which were located in the locker room, and suited up in special gear in record time. They then ran to the elevator at the end of the hall and all piled in. One of the members pressed the button for the elevator to go to floor one hundred and fifty. They ran into King Yama's office and waited for his orders.
 
“Some one broke into the vault and stole the Forlorn Hope. Not all of you may be needed to go out on this mission. Bounty Hunter, Shunjun, I need you to pursue the bandit. As for the others, I need you to patrol the building, covering main exits and the main entrance. That is all.” A large shadowed figured spoke from his throne with a deep sovereign voice. The group deployed according to plan. The blue haired male, with large silver hoop earrings, headed to the window and jump out of it to track the thief.
 
0-0
 
After successfully escaping, the building the fox heard a lot of commotion about the vault has been raided and the Forlorn Hope being missing. With a smug attitude, the fox pushed its speed to the limits to further distance himself from the crime scene. The hidden portal that connected the spirit world to the land of the living was no more than five miles away. How stupid was spirit world to actually have hidden portals that led to each world? Didn't they think that a high rank bandit such as himself would come across the information of there existence?
 
After covering about three miles of consistently running at the same speed, the fox felt an unexplainable energy coming towards him from the building he just robbed. With a growl the fox pushed himself to faster speeds that he's never accomplished before. He had to make it to the other world before the visitor caught up. He was on unsafe ground where a fight would result in him being outnumbered and overtaken. He worked too hard and plotted too strategically for him to go down while still in spirit world. Within a few long strides the hidden portal within the ground came in view in the form of a misplaced boulder. Now that his goal was in sight he would ensure that he would make it back to the other world. With another leap he dissipated into the boulder causing the time and space around him to alter. After taking a few seconds to recover from vertigo the fox was greeted by the forest of the living world.
 
The soothing cool wind of the living world played through his fur and ceased some of the adrenaline coursing through his veins. With the downgrade of the adrenaline level, the fox realized that he was somewhat tired. After all about twenty hours straight of high adrenaline levels coursing through your blood, there tend to be some negative effects. The mission had taken him nearly a full day to complete and the fatigue was catching up him. He wanted nothing more than to make it to his lair and rest for some time before using the Forlorn Hope, the mirror between his teeth, for his intended purpose.
 
After blurring through the forest for two miles, the silver fox sensed the same unknown energy that had followed him throughout spirit world. Whoever was following him was unfortunate, however, because anyone who was on his turf was going to get more than they bargained for. The fox then contemplated that if he morphed into his truest form, so that he can have enough power to face his pursuer, the spirit world would have his true identity which could lead to being put on the hit list. That was a potential problem that he didn't want to encounter. What could he do in a situation like this? He could keep running until he reached his lair. However, it would do no good. Spirit world was very persistent and thorough. He didn't have any nearby allies, so the plan of having them outnumbering and killing the stranger was discarded as well. Without many options, the fox kept running until he sensed two demons, a half demon, and three humans of which one was a miko and another a monk. Luck was on his side today, the fox immediately switched course and headed towards the six.
 
0-0
 
Inuyasha jumped to his feet, eyeing the surrounding forest warily. After looking toward the west he growled and put his hand on his Tetsaiga in preparation for the demon energy and another unknown energy coming towards the campsite. Kirara noticed the energy, too. She leapt to Inuyasha's side as flames engulfed her, a snarl ripping from her throat. When the fire died down there was a large cat in the place of the usually small demon.
 
“Kirara, what is it?” Sango asked, walking up to her feline companion and laying a reassuring hand on her back. The cat, however, did not settle down to her master's touch.
 
“There is a demon energy coming this was with an unknown energy in pursuit of it,” Inuyasha answered for Kirara, causing the others to go on alert. Sango grabbed her oversized boomerang, the Hiraikotsu, and prepped it for attack. Miroku walked to Sango's side with his staff in hand. Kagome grabbed her quiver full of arrows and her bow. Shippo jumped on Kagome's right should ready to protect the girl if need be.
 
“Get ready!” Inuyasha said drawing the Tetsaiga. The small blade extended into a large fang. Everyone nodded in a silent agreement. A small silver fox with red eyes and five tails ran into the clearing and stopped nearly toppling over in the process causing the others to not attack. It wore a pitiful puppy dog look that was begging for mercy. If he wanted to live he had to trick these people into killing whatever was behind him.
 
“Please, help me. There is a guy following me, seeking to take my life. I cannot fight him, he is too strong,” a voice emitted from the spirit fox.
 
“And why should we…?” Inuyasha asked. He pointed his sword at the demon. The fox looked behind it, whined, and ran off speeding past the group.
 
“Hey, I'm not through with you!” Inuyasha turned and yelled in the direction that the fox went. Shippo jumped to Inuyasha's shoulder and stared at the side of his face waiting for the dog demon to meet his gaze. When Inuyasha looked over to Shippo he saw that his eyes were watery.
 
“Please, Inuyasha, that was a silver fox! They are nearly extinct as it is, and he asked for our help. What if he has a family? His kids would become orphans just like me,” the small fox pleaded with a shaky voice, tears threatening to spill over.
 
“Okay, fine, but no crying!” Inuyasha agreed unwillingly. Shippo nodded and returned to his original spot on Kagome's shoulder. The group waited several more moments until the foreign energy reached the clearing from the same direction that the fox came from. A guy with light blue hair and black eyes stopped ten feet away from the group stunned to see humans and demons alike side by side. If the stranger didn't know any better he would have said that the members of the group were all allies.
 
“I am here on official business from the spirit world—move aside,” the stranger said plainly. Inuyasha, not liking to be told what to do, growled with defiance.
 
“Look, I don't care why you are here and I ain't gonna listen, ya got that!” yelled the clearly pissed of hanyou. Inuyasha always did have a problem with authority. He wouldn't take it from his brother Sesshomaru, and he would be damned if he took it from this random stranger.
 
“You will not stand in the way of my mission. I will give you two options: move voluntarily or involuntarily, either way, I don't care,” the man said darkly, his impassive facial expression never wavering. Upon seeing the group refusing to move, the stranger crouched into a fighting stance.
 
“Have it your way,” was the only warning the group received from the stranger before he moved in for the attack at an impressive speed.
 
0-0
 
After accomplishing the task of persuading the strangers to stop the spirit world hunter, the small demon continued through the dark forest towards his lair. If he continued to run at his current pace, he would make it to his hideout before sunrise. He had to make it there, rest a little bit, and use the mirror. There was no doubt, however, that King Yama would stop to retrieve his artifact so he would have to find a way to return it without getting caught. That was another problem for another day. He was certain that no one inside of spirit world had seen his identity, but just to be certain he would have to refrain from using his current form for a while.
 
A brief stop within the canopy of the trees allowed him to set the mirror down into the grass and transform into his purest form. A white light engulfed the fox as he morphed into a humanoid version of himself. Soon after he finished his transformation, he stood on two legs instead of four and looked human despite the large silver fox ears at the top of his head and the silver tail, which swayed behind him. His height went from three feet at shoulder height to seven feet. His red eyes were now a golden/hazel color. He had long, thick, flowing silver hair with bangs in the front and two thick locks on either side of his face that rested on his chest, the rest of his hair hanging down his back that stopped just above the waist and looked silky. He wore a white tunic with white pants and white shoes. His skin was pale and his stature was thin, yet he had defined muscles.
 
The fox demon grabbed the mirror with a clawed hand while wearing a smirk that revealed sharp fangs. He slipped the mirror into his tunic and resumed on his way to his lair. Small animals and lesser demons scurried out of his way. It isn't too often that the infamous bandit, Yoko Kurama, the boogeyman whom others whispered stories about to scare children, runs throughout a forest of lesser demons. In his current form, Yoko was faster. He had already estimated the trip of reaching his lair. The spirit world bounty hunter would not be catching up with him any time soon. He was certain of that.
 
0-0
 
The bounty hunter vanished from sight only to reappear with the half demon's neck in his grasp. He lifted him into the air effortlessly and threw him into a tree a few feet away. Kagome called out to Inuyasha before preparing an arrow and aiming it at the stranger. Upon releasing the arrow, the stranger recognized the energy and jumped out of the way. Unfortunately, his right arm was grazed in the process. He shot a blue energy orb from his left hand that went towards Kagome. Startled, the girl stood there frozen in place, watching the orb fly towards her. Neither her mind nor legs processed that she should move. Stupid Bitch… The schoolgirl stood frozen in fear. Shippo leaped towards the orb to shield Kagome and took blow of the energy blast, which sent him skidding into the ground past the girl on his back. Sango ran to his side as Kagome regained her self and prepared another arrow, clearly upset that Shippo got hurt. By this time Inuyasha was back on his feet and ready to unleash the Wind Scar.
 
Kirara observed what was going on and jumped to the man's left about ten feet away and roared to get his attention. Shunjun looked to the oversized cat, which distracted him long enough for Inuyasha to use the Wind Scar. Kagome shot a sacred arrow at the same time. Four large lines of yellow energy emitted from the sword and ran along the ground. The arrow, encased in white miko energy, flew towards him as well. Without any reaction time, Shunjun was hit with both attacks simultaneously. A loud masculine scream boomed throughout the night.
 
Instead of staying in a solid form and allowing himself to be obliterated, Shunjun turned into a white energy light and flew off into the night. He had failed his mission. The thief was long gone and he was way too injured to attempt to fight. Whether he wanted to or not, he had to report back to the spirit world and face an angry King Yama.
0-0
 
Five Hundred Years Later…
 
0-0
 
Seven long time friends sat around a bon fire on the beach. It was several hours past nightfall, but the seven didn't care. Yusuke, a teenage boy with dark gelled back hair and brown eyes, and Kurama, a teenage boy with long red hair and green eyes, were back from two years of being in demon world, and that was the cause of this particular celebration. Three pieces of driftwood surrounded the fire with Yusuke and Keiko, a teenage girl with long brown hair and brown eyes, on one piece together, Kuwabara, a teenage boy with orange hair and black eyes, and Yukina, a female demon with light green hair braided down her back and red eyes, on a piece together, Kurama, Botan, the human looking grim reaper with light blue hair and purple eyes, and Shizuru, a young woman with light auburn long hair and brown eyes, on the last piece together.
 
The group was laughing and talking amongst themselves with content that they all were together again and safe. No more hunting down dangerous demons. No more demon tournaments. No more humans trying to open the gate to the demon world. No more demon wars for dictatorship. Yusuke was finally home for Keiko and Kuwabara, Kurama, and Hiei would no longer get dragged along for anymore dangerous spirit world missions. It was the beginning of a new life and the end of constantly living on a dangerous edge. Nothing bad could possibly happen to spoil the tranquil mood that had drifted over them.
 
“So, Kurama, tell me, what do you plan on doing now that this whole demon world thingy is over with?” Kuwabara asked the red head while roasting a marshmallow on a stick with the bon fire. The whole group ceased talking also curious on what the red head's next move in life would be. Kurama was silent for a while, thinking on the matter. He never really thought about it. With the whole two years in demon world going back and fourth between human world and demon world, he was unable to devote his time to actually attending high school. Maybe he would go to high school.
 
“Hm, I was thinking. Since my life is back to as normal as it is going to get maybe I should continue my education.” Kurama responded thoughtfully.
 
“Yes, I think that is a great idea Kurama,” Keiko responded with a smile while the others nodded in agreement. Everything was silent for a while and Kurama seemed to go into a daze like state. His figure began to slowly fade until he became transparent. Nobody seemed to notice except Botan. Believing her eyes were playing tricks on her she reached out to touch his shoulder only to have her hand go straight through Kurama.
 
“Kurama?” Botan asked and when he didn't respond she screamed his name. Everyone looked at her confused and wide eyed like she just lost every ounce of sanity that she previously owned.
 
“Uh…are you feeling alright? Maybe you should go to bed,” Shizuru said while putting her hand on Botan's forehead to check the temperature. Botan shook Shizuru's hand off with tears beginning to form in her eyes and cloud her vision.
 
“What do you mean am I alright? Kurama just disappeared! He was just sitting right here!” Botan yelled near hysterics while pointing to the empty spot between her and Shizuru. Everyone eyed Botan with suspicion. Who was this Kurama who was supposedly sitting at the bon fire with them?
 
“Who is Kurama? What are you talking about? Nobody was here besides us six. Don't tell me that you are going through an imaginary friend phase?” Yusuke responded looking at Botan like she just grew six heads. Botan sobbed with tears rolling down her cheeks confused at everything that just happened. She was not crazy, Kurama was just here. He dematerialized yes, but he was just sitting there in everyone's presence.
 
“Nobody remembers Kurama?” Botan asked between sobs. Everyone shook their head no, afraid to speak about her sudden change in demeanor. Why didn't anybody seem to remember him or notice his disappearance? “I have to let Lord Koenma know about this!” she thought, wiping away tears. This was not a time for weeping.
 
A/N: I hope you enjoyed the first chapter! Please review and tell me how you like it so far.