Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Freak Show ❯ Botan Vs Kikyo ( Chapter 14 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Kurama squeezed his emerald eyes shut tightly. His head fell into his waiting palms as he supported his elbows upon the table that had mountains of paperwork. Why in the universe had he voluntarily agreed to work for Koenma again? Sure he wanted access to those files that might help him unlock Kagome's full power potential. But, was it really worth all this paperwork?

Kurama issued another groan of frustration with another demon came by the office and dropped off another huge stack of papers onto the already overflowing desktop. Somebody was out to make him suffer, there was no other explanation!

The door to the little, microscopic, barely worth mentioning office that junior so graciously gave him opened slightly. Said prince walked in to observe Kurama. He leaned over the table to sneak a peak at whatever it was that Kurama was working on.

"So, what are you doing?" Koenma asked, trying to look as if he didn't care.

Kurama raised his brow at the prince of the spirit world. "What do you mean by that? Are you not the one that assigned me all this?" Kurama waved his hand in the area of the massacred tree remains.

"Yes, yes, I am aware of what I have assigned you. I mean, why are you doing this? What is it you really want?" Koenma was not gullible. He may look like a toddler, but he was several hundreds of years old.

Kurama bit the inside of his cheek as he tried to decide his next action. Unfortunately, one of his canines had elongated almost unnoticeably and pierced the inner walls of his cheek. The coppery taste of blood brought him to his decision. He was slowly, but surely becoming kitsune once more and it was imperative to discover all he could about mikos.

"I needed access to the files about mikos of great powers," Kurama replied while keeping his eyes on the paper that he was reading over.

"I had suspected that much. I will allow it as long as you are able to complete the tasks that I give you," Koenma agreed as he pointedly indicated the masses of paperwork.

"Is there something else I can do that perhaps would lesson my load of tedious paperwork? I am on a bit of a time table, school is starting in a few days." Kurama replied, finally looking up from the paper and meeting Koenma's eyes.

The prince shifted nervously and then transformed into his teenaged version self. It was a notable improvement in the looks department from the big headed toddler. "Perhaps you could find out what Botan thinks of me." Koenma suggested in a quiet voice, very unlike his normal brazen talk.

Kurama smiled at this request. So the little spoilt prince of the spirit world had a crush on Lady Death? Now this was interesting! "I believe that could be arranged," he answered in an irritatingly calm tone.

Koenma grinned sheepishly past the pacifier that helped channel his power that was resting between his lips. "I'll see if I can find any of those files then."

Kurama waited until the door was shut and then he propped his feet on his desk, leaned back in his chair with arms behind his head. He closed his eyes and relaxed. Everything was working out perfectly. Nothing could go wrong now.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

In the Fuedal Era the shard collecting team was moving about at a rapid speed. No one was sure why such haste was being made. The funny thing was, Inuyasha was the one that was being slow and Kagome was the one in the hurry!

"Kagome-sama, don't you think that perhaps we should take a break?" Miroku asked as he jogged quickly to catch up with the energetic miko. She and Botan had begun to lead the group and both seemed to be excessively hyper. It was scaring the other members of the group.

Kagome exchanged a knowing look with Botan before answering. "I was hoping to collect the remaining shards quickly. I really need to get back to my time," Kagome answered as she idly twirled the ring from Kurama on her finger.

The twirling did not go unnoticed by Inuyasha was eaves dropping on the conversation. "Look, Kagome shard hunting is not something that can be rushed. You have to take your time when doing so."

Everyone stared at Inuyasha with mouths hanging wide open. Sango walked up to the hanyou and placed the back of her hand against his forehead. She shook her head confused. "I don't feel any fever," she muttered as she retracted her hand.

"Keh. I say we rest." Inuyasha declared crossing his arms and angrily stomping towards a tree. He then jumped up high in the boughs to sulk. The reason Kagome was wanting to find the shards now was not to spend time with him, but so that she could return faster to flower boy. That was not an acceptable reason!

"Inuyasha! Why don't you----" Kagome began to coax him out of the tree but stopped mid-sentence when two familiar jewel shards were approaching them at record speeds that could be matched by no one other than a certain wolf prince.

Inuyasha jumped out of the tree and unsheathed Tetsusaiga, ready to attack the wolf. Hiei and Botan were confused by the reactions of the companions. Kagome had a slight smile, Inuyasha looked ready to murder, and the others looked bored.

Moments later, a tornado of dust and debris entered their line of sight. Emerging from within the wolf-youkai, Kouga, was revealed. He stopped before Kagome and took her hands in his in greeting.

"And how is my woman?" He asked with a self-assured smile which quickly turned into a frown. He hadn't smelled that rose boy, but yet his scent was still clearly marking Kagome. Kouga lifted her hand closer to his nose and sniffed until he discovered the ring. Immediately he dropped her hand and a hurt expression crossed his face.

"Kouga? What's wrong?" Kagome asked concerned. It was unlike her friend to become depressed.

Kouga signaled towards her finger with Kurama's ring. "Kagome, how could you wear that when you are supposed to be my woman?" He asked in a voice laced with hurt.

Kagome couldn't help but feel bad at the total destruction of his confident attitude. "Kouga, I'm sorry, but I'm not your woman. I've told you before, time and time again. But you are one of my best friends, do not doubt that and I do love you as a friend." Kagome assured him as she grabbed his hands and gave them a reassuring squeeze.

Kouga smiled back, his icy eyes lit with joy once more. "Of course, and if he or mutt-face over there ever do anything to upset you, come to me. You're always welcome in my home."

Hiei was watching this scene with absolute interest. It was just like Kurama to choose the girl that had the most youkai after her affections. It must have been a residual factor from his days as Youko.

"Kouga, I want you to meet my friends Hiei and Botan." Kagome introduced the three. "We were just about to take a break from our travels, would you like to join us?" Kagome invited her wolf friend.

"I see that I am always welcome to you as well." Kouga replied pleased at the invitation.

A few minutes later, a nice fire was going and a fresh meal was being prepared for the fatigued travelers. A few light conversations were being shared. Inuyasha jumped down from his tree only to eat his Ramen noodles, but took back up his residency in the tree as soon as he was done devouring the food.

Kouga and Hiei's noses both wrinkled with disgust a short time later. Kouga was waving his hand past his nose to get rid of the stench. Hiei pinched his nostrils. "What is that stench?" Hiei asked aloud.

Kagome could feel four jewel shards. Kikyo had four jewel shards. Inuyasha hopped down from his tree and raced in the direction of the shards and the stench. Kagome rolled her eyes. "It's Inuyasha's dead girlfriend."

"Dead girlfriend?" Botan asked curious as she moved to sit beside Kagome.

"Yeah, she's dirt and ashes. Some witch resurrected her from the dead, stole part of my soul, and now she walks around with little soul stealing demons living a life for revenge. She's determined to kill Naraku and take Inuyasha to hell with her." Kagome explained.

"Kikyo was a priestess that died over fifty years ago. This clay abomination has tried to kill Kagome-chan too many times." Sango added, the hatred she had for this dead being was evident.

Botan frowned at this news. She turned to Kagome. "She has part of your soul?" Kagome nodded. "But how can you be complete with part of your soul missing?"

"Sometimes it hurts. I don't think I'll be able to reach my full potential as long as she carries on her imitation of life. But I can't kill her. Inuyasha would go insane if she were to die by my hands." Kagome replied.

She did want her soul back though. Kikyo did keep trying to kill her. And this Kikyo was not the same Kikyo that lived fifty years ago. The living miko was probably honorable.

Botan was busy flipping through the pages of her handy-dandy rule book. Hiei tried to look uninterested, but the looks of loath on everyone's faces, and the wretched stench were driving him insane with curiosity.

Botan found the page she was searching for and began to skim the information. Everyone was observing her closely. She snapped close the book and rose from the ground to march in the direction of said dead woman.

"Where are you going?" Kagome asked as she ran to catch up. Everyone else decided to follow as well. Looks like Inuyasha's private moment with Kikyo was about to be interrupted by several disgusted friends.

"As Lady Death it is my job to make sure that such things do not happen. It is not healthy for you to only have a partial soul. How will you defeat this Naraku character if you are not able to use your full power?" Botan cast Miroku a meaningful glance that Sango misinterpreted for something else.

The demon exterminator moved closer to Hiei. Kouga had moved to walk beside Kagome and had casually draped his arm across her shoulder. She didn't seem to be paying attention. In fact, now that she had told him she was unavailable, and he did respect that kitsune, it was easier to flirt with her! It was as if she didn't take him seriously anymore.

Hiei ignored the huntress walking next to him. His crimson eyes focused on the miko and the wolf. He really wanted to read their minds at the moment but there seemed to be some strange force that was causing his Jagan eye to not be functioning properly. He did not want to see his best friend's mate behaving so casually with a wolf prince.

The group soon approached a clearing in the middle of a forested area. It was the typical environment that a certain dead priestess liked to meet a certain gullible half-demon. Kikyo had her arms wrapped securely around Inuyasha's neck. His arms hung loose at his sides as if he had no real desire to be there, but was kept against his will.

Botan cleared her throat to gain the attention of the couple. Kikyo glared at her venomously. "You must be Kikyo. I am Lady Death. I'm afraid we have a problem."

Kikyo continued to stare as she removed her arms from around Inuyasha's neck and calmly turned to face the blue haired woman directly.

"Well you see," Botan gestured towards Kagome then back to Kikyo, "you can't both be sharing the same soul. You're dead. You're supposed to stay that way. Your very existence is breaking rule 624183-486731B. I'm going to have to return you to where you belong."

Kikyo remained silent, but her lips could be seen moving. She was chanting a spell! "Botan! She's casting a spell!" Kagome warned as she drew her bow and notched an arrow in the string taking aim.

Kikyo, however, wasn't chanting to hurt Botan but to hurt her reincarnate. She was trying to take the rest of the soul. Kagome's bow dropped to the ground as she felt the unnatural tug. She fell to the ground soon afterwards and curled into a fetal position. Kouga fell down beside her and tried to block her body with his.

Sango rushed to her other side. Hiei stood by watching everything. An unknown anger was rising within him, as he saw how close the wolf youkai was to Kagome. He dared to touch what was Kurama's! To top it off, the human miko was doing nothing to stop him from touching her! She was just curled up in a little ball letting him try to protect her!

Hiei shook his head. Where were these feelings coming from? He knew better than that. It was obvious he was her friend and cared about her. Kurama would understand that. He probably already knew all about her friends. Why was he feeling so angry? Why did he feel the need that the dead miko should remain intact? Why couldn't he use his Jagan eye?

Hiei grabbed his head with hands and tried to squeeze the nonsense from his mind. It lingered. It would not disperse.

Botan and Miroku rushed towards Inuyasha and Kikyo. Miroku used his staff to knock Inuyasha upside the head, effectively pulling him out of his previous trance. The half-demon looked around confused but then saw his best friend suffering not far away and rushed to her side.

Botan had focused her spirit energy and sent a powerful blast into Kikyo. All but three of Kikyo's stolen souls were released from her prison and sent to the afterworld where they belonged. One more blast of spirit energy would end this corrupted being's life.

"No! Don't kill her!" Kagome shouted. The tugging had ceased. It seemed that whatever was trying to be pulled out could not be removed because it had stuck at her finger. The ring seemed to catch the end of whatever was being drawn out and had prevented its escape.

Botan foolishly glanced past her shoulder towards Kagome, happy to see her well. When she turned back to finish of the undead miko she found only air. Kikyo had escaped her judgment. Botan shook her fist in the air. "She got away," Botan announced miserable.

Hiei sat down on the ground Indian-style with his head in his hands trying to stop the mad rush of emotions in his mind. Why was he feeling such hatred towards Kagome? Why did he see all her friends of the masculine persuasion as a betrayal against Kurama?

"Kagome, why did you allow her to live?" Inuyasha asked quietly.

"Because I know you love her and would hate me if I was to allow her to die." Kagome answered automatically.

"But she was trying to kill you," Inuyasha continued, finally realizing that Kikyo was trying to kill both him and Kagome. If she was only trying to take him to hell that was okay. But she was still after Kagome as well and that was not okay.

Kagome shrugged. "She always tries to kill me. That's nothing new. You'd never cared about that detail before." Kagome stood up and dusted her pants off before walking back towards their camp site. The others followed suite, including Kouga, who wanted to stay the night and stand guard to make sure Kikyo did not return.

Hiei trailed behind the others, lost in his own thoughts. <`Why did you allow Kurama's woman to fraternize with all those men? What kind of friend are you?'> Hiei looked around the trees trying to pinpoint the source of that voice.

<'I am not in the trees, baka. I am in your mind.'>

"Mind telling me why you are in my head?" Hiei asked aloud, since he was so far from the rest of the group.

"If it bothers you, I can talk in person." A being in a white baboon pelt emerged from the trees. Hiei was mildly surprised; he did not sense the being at all. The masking spell on it was great.

"Who are you?" Hiei demanded.

"I am one who has your friend's best interests at heart." The baboon man replied.

Hiei raised a skeptical brow, indicating for the creature to continue.

"She wants him for his powers. She wants to use him to collect the Shikon no Tama. With the jewel she will wish for the half-demon's love to be focused on her. I have seen her intentions. She will betray you all." The baboon explained.

Hiei crossed his arms. That didn't sound like something Kagome would do. He saw the difference in how she acted around Kurama and how she acted around other males. "What are you suggesting?"

"I am suggesting an alliance. I can make you strong and powerful beyond your wildest imagination." The baboon teased.

Hiei flinched. Strength and power were his soul driving forces for most of his life. "I'm listening."

"I will speak with you at some other time. Beware of her charms. Do not let her fool you into believing that she cares for you or your friends." Then the baboon was gone.

Hiei stood there, motionless for a short while, before continuing on in the direction of the camp. Strength and power were worthy aspirations. But, why should he trust a baboon that invaded the sanctity of his mind? Perhaps he would keep this encounter handy in case in the future he should need it. Never burn your own bridges.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Kurama woke up in a cold sweat. He had stayed several hours later than he had intended at the spirit office. He had found several promising journals about miko's power potentials. By the time he had returned home he was completely exhausted and immediately fell asleep.

Now he was drenched in sweat. Something was very wrong with Kagome. It was as if he could feel her pain. In his dream her very soul was being sucked from her. He knew that feeling well, granted he had voluntarily wrenched his soul free of his former kitsune body.

That pain was not the only haunting part of the dream. The dream continued with Hiei making a pact with Naraku, the infamous half-demon that seemed to make everyone miserable.

Kurama forced himself to take deep breaths and calm his racing heart. Hiei would never betray him. Kagome was safe. Well, at least she was safe until school started. He smiled thinking of how he would have to play hero and save her from those crazy mobs of his fan club.