Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Freak Show ❯ End of Naraku ( Chapter 22 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: To smooth all the ruffled feathers, I took artistic liberties with Kuronue. The type of demon he is now is not really important to the plot so I just made him a Kitsune. He was a bat demon with long wings and not a big fluffy black tail. In `reality' he dies before Youko and would never betray him, he died in this fiction too which is why his current `race' isn't that particularly important. However, in THIS fiction his callous attitude is important. =) Thanks for all the `concerned' reviews…hehehe.

Chapter 22: End of Naraku

Kagome paused in her trek, latching onto Youko's arm in the process. He turned an inquisitive eye upon her. "I think we should wait for the others."

Kurama looked back towards the mountain pass where he was positive a certain villainous hanyou was residing. He gave a curt nod as he moved towards a fallen tree, guiding Kagome toward the impromptu log with him. They sat in relative silence for a few moments. "I suppose it would behoove us to await our allies." Kurama conceded, slightly annoyed with himself for growing battle hungry and ignoring the cautious methods of attack that had preserved his life so long.

"Can I ask you something?" Kagome queried. Kurama looked at her expectantly, a silent gesture to give her permission. "It's about your friend Kuronue. I had thought when we were searching for him that the two of you may have been closer than what I just witnessed."

Kurama offered a sad half-smile at the observation. "The Kuronue that I worked with wasn't the same one that we sought out today."

"But, you both seemed to know one another," Kagome argued.

"That's not exactly what I meant. When I was dying, my partner, Kuronue, had already received a mortal wound. We were both destroyed by that hunter. However, whereas I became the avatar of the human Minamino, Kuronue merged with the unborn soul of a Kitsune." Kurama explained, his silvery tail swishing idly behind him, disturbing the fallen leaves of the forest floor.

"Why would he say such things then?" Kagome urged.

"There is even greater risk in using another demon to house a displaced soul. In most cases, the original soul doesn't take too kindly to sharing their body with the intruder. I chose a human because I could have completely taken control of the body at ten human years of age. However, due to the love of my mother I found that I couldn't do such a heartless thing anymore. I had finally learned what love was." Kurama's golden eyes bore into hers in a serious light.

"Kuronue was not so wise. By joining with a Kitsune spirit, one that is formidable to deal with much less merge with, he lost part of his identity. The Kitsune of that body is resentful of sharing his vessel so the Kuronue that I knew and trusted is lost for the most part, but I had hoped there was enough of him in that body to help us a little." Kurama explained rising to his feet and offering his hand to help Kagome up as well.

Kagome was silently musing the new information. "How did you know it was him then if you thought he was dead?"

Kurama shrugged and offered a carefree, teasing smile. "I am a Spirit Detective; don't you think I'd occasionally get curious and look up to see what happened to my old friends in all those files in Koenma's office?"

Kagome's back stiffened slightly, sensing now what Kurama sensed a moment before, her lips parting into a grin. "They are here."

Not two seconds after her announcement did a trail of torndao dust file into the woods, stopping in front of the pair, sending a spray of dirty and rocks towards Kurama, whom created a rose whip to rapidly twirl around himself and destroy the flying debris.

"Kagome! I have missed you!" Kouga announced grabbing hold of her hands within his own. He cast a disdainful glare at the fox at her side. "Fox, good to see you are alive as well," he ground out through clenched teeth.

"Likewise," Kurama told him with an emotionless tone as he calmly dislodged Kouga's hands from Kagome's. "Where are the others?"

A great thud from a tall tree was the answer to that question. Inuyasha stalked towards the trio, an annoyed expression open his face that only intensified when a small ball of light zoomed past him and landed beside Kagome and Kurama, transforming in the tai-youkai of the West. Inuyasha ignored everyone but Kagome as she pulled her by her shoulder to force her to meet his gaze.

"Kagome, how could you come here without me? We started this quest together and we're supposed to end it together. I'm supposed to protect you," He informed her as he released her shoulders to lightly pat the hilt of Tetsusaiga.

Before Kagome could apologize for abandoning him and searching without him for Naraku, Sesshoumaru interrupted. "Half-breed, the miko is no longer yours to protect. Stop crying and prepare for battle."

A low growl could be heard erupted from Inuyasha's throat as he cast his older half-brother a murderous stare. "Shut up, I don't even know why you're here. If it wasn't for me you'd be a part of Naraku's body."

Sesshoumaru's eyes tinged pink, before they cleared to a golden and he smirked at his brother. "This is true. I will concede that without the use of father's fang I would have been absorbed by that disgusting hanyou."

"Kagome!" A shout could be heard moments before an orange fur ball attached itself to Kagome's midsection. She pet Shippo's head before prying him off and setting him upon her shoulder.

Miroku and Sango landed with Kirara a second later, followed by Botan on her oar with a disgruntled Yusuke riding behind her. Hiei was standing on a tree branch, how long he had been present was uncertain. It wasn't like he was going to announce his arrival.

"Now that we're all here, let's go destroy Naraku," Kagome told everyone in a very authorative voice.

Sesshoumaru raised a brow at her, nobody moved. "Why is it you feel that you should be the one to give orders human? How many successful military strategies have you used in battle?" Sesshoumaru demanded.

Kagome fidgeted not having an acceptable answer for that particular question.

"Keh, she doesn't need a plan. I'll kill Naraku and protect her, simple." Inuyasha declared as he bent down before Kagome so she could hop onto his back.

"Foolish. I'm surprised you have survived this long, Inuyasha," Kurama answered causing Kagome to halt in her habit of climbing Inuyasha's back and causing the hanyou to straighten to glare at him. "Let us listen to Lord Sesshoumaru. As ruler of a great amount of land I believe his plans for battle would be best."

"First we must assess the situation." Sesshoumaru told his attentive audience. Everyone shifted uneasily under his commanding tones, their various weapons being transferred in their positions.

"Naraku has the Angel of Time and we must take her out of the situation. Most likely she is being held captive courtesy of Kanna's mirror." Miroku answered.

"Exactly, so we must destroy the mirror to release that Angel of Time. But at the same time we need to attack Naraku. I do not want another puppet to trick us." Sesshoumaru directed his sight to Kagome. "Will you be able to determine whether or not he is the real Naraku?"

Kagome nodded.

"Very well, Let us finish this business so that I may return to my lands. I do not have time to waste like you all do. Demon exterminator you and the Spirit Detectives are to destroy the mirror and Kanna. The miko, my half-brother, the monk, the wolf, and myself will take care of Naraku." Sesshoumaru answered as he picked up Kagome before any of the others could process his intentions and they disappeared into a ball of light in the direction of the mountains.

The others wasted little time in following the demon lord. All were anxious to destroy Naraku and move on with their lives.

Naraku stared off into the distance. He could feel them approaching. The odds were in their favor numberwise they thought. But, he was composed of thousands of demons so they were wrong with that little assumption. He redirected his gaze to the Kitsune that had so easily succumbed to his mental commands. It was rather easy to convince a tortured mind to join in his ranks.

He could use that Kitsune avatar to distract the silver fox. He only needed to separate Inuyasha from his precious Tetsusaiga. The miko could be corrupted and he would enjoy corrupting her as he ravished her body to get the jewel. It was a two for one deal that he would relish. The humans were little threat. He had Kagura ready to destroy the wolf prince. He knew she had betrayed him again and had told the dog demon to attend. Sesshoumaru would be a problem, but he already had a plan for that.

Would the great Sesshoumaru really be a match for the one whom Naraku intended upon pitting him against? Naraku smiled at the demon he had resurrected. It took a great deal of strength to do so, but it was the real reason he wanted the Angel of Time. She had the power to retrieve souls that were departed no matter when they perished.

The demon made Naraku proud. It was all he could do to not be tempted to absorb him within his own body. But he knew if he did that then the willpower that was currently under control by him would soon take over his own body.

The strong dog demon glared down at Naraku. His long silver hair was tied in a high ponytail and a single purple stripe lined each of his cheek bones. His golden irises glittered with menace. His fanged teeth dripped with poison as he smirked at Naraku in return before directing his attention to the sphere of light that was rapidly approaching. "My son let me see how you have grown," Inu-Taisho muttered, his deep baritone voice rattling the earth beneath his feet.

Sesshoumaru stopped before Naraku and turned back into his humanoid form, setting Kagome on her feet. He raised Tokijin at the hanyou and sliced at him, cleanly severing a fourth of his body. Naraku merely laughed as the severed part of him slithered away and began to form into hundreds of demons. Kagome clutched the back of Sesshoumaru's haori at the dreadful sight.

The others soon arrived, but were impeded by the demons. Kurama used his rose whip to slice twenty at a time, but it only seemed to cause more to form from their scattered remains. Inuyasha released the Kaze no Kizu effectively destroying half of the beasts.

Sango, Miroku, Yusuke, and Botan were fighting alongside one another to defeat the swarm of demons that had rushed against them. They were doing well, but the number of demons only seemed to increase. Every dead demon seemed to cause two to rise in it's place.

Kurama released a volley of razor sharp rose pedals at the troops of demons that were making to destroy him. His purpose was to get to Kagome. After that then he'd worry about Naraku. Sesshoumaru had abandoned his mate-to-be and was fighting a demon that looked incredibly similar to himself. He was unaware that they had another brother.

Naraku leered at Kagome as she began to glow a faint pink color from her spiritual energy. She looked over his shoulder towards Kurama and a smile formed on her face as her power began to increase in strength. Naraku knew what was causing her confidence. He couldn't have her being all sure in herself now.

"You think your fox will come to your aid? You are mistaken." Naraku informed her. He watched with amusement as Kuronue blocked Kurama's path. The two were now engaged in combat.

Beginning to feel a bit frantic and all alone, Kagome looked all around only to find every single one of her allies engaged. Kouga and Kagura were fighting, but it looked like he would finally be able to avenge his tribe.

Inuyasha was releasing the wind scar repeatedly, destroying the land and demons all at once. Miroku, Sango, Botan, and Yusuke were casting her worried looks as they continued to fight an endless stream of enemies. Kurama was busy with his old friend. Sesshoumaru was sweating hard, trying to avoid the relentless attacks of one whom could only be his father.

"Kagome!" Inuyasha shouted as he raced over towards her only to be knocked aside by a multitude of tentacles right into a mass of demons.

"Inuyasha!" Kagome cried, trying to run towards him. She was so useless. She couldn't believe everyone allowed her to come to this world without her primary weapon. She didn't possess the skills of Kikyo. She couldn't just use her palms to direct her miko energy.

Naraku's laugh cut her run short as some of those same tentacles that sent Inuyasha flying drew her against his chest. He smiled down at her, crimson eyes flashing in glee. "It looks like I finally shall get my miko and the jewel."

"You haven't won yet," Kagome told him, coughing fiercely as the miasma began to choke her.

"Haven't I? Don't you think I chose this place on purpose? Look at your allies. They are weak. It is hopeless for them. No matter how many times they kill those demons they will rise again. That is the secret to this demon world with the Angel of Time on my side." Naraku informed her.

He was pleased to read everyone's distressed mind. It was like reading an open book. The emotions of all the characters involved were running high. He frowned when he noticed Kagome grinning at him. Her emotions suddenly becoming closed to him. He had only met one individual who had the ability to complete ignore his telepathy.

Where was that damned fire speed demon with the spiky hair and terrible disposition?

"Come on Naraku, surely you didn't forget my dear friend Hiei when you were making your flawless plans." Kagome teased, gasping when her ribs started to be crushed by Naraku's angry embrace. She closed her eyes and focused all her spiritual energy through the shards of the Shikon no Tama dangling around her neck. Her shards were being absorbed into Naraku's chest, where his shards lied.

She could see the purple tainted light under the surface of his skin contrasting with the whitish pink of her purified pieces.

Hiei had unleashed the power of his dragon and destroyed Kanna's mirror, releasing the Angel of Time who disappeared as soon as she was no longer captive. "Do it now Kagome!" Hiei shouted at the same moment that the majority of the demons fell into ashes on the ground and Inu-Taisho smirked at his son before vanishing.

Kuronue stopped in midswing of his attack against Kurama and gave him a confused look. Inuyasha was able to run towards Kagome, but was unable to do anything because by the time he reached her side, a pink bubble of spiritual energy surrounded both she and Naraku.

The corrupted shards were becoming purified. Hiei ordered that everyone form a circle around Kagome. Apparently he was communicating with her through a connection he had formed between their minds. He was following her orders and soon all her allies were following those orders.

They all linked hands and their spiritual energy was then channeled through Kagome into the Shikon no Tama and Naraku.

It all happened so fast. Everyone had to blink a few times before reality set in.

Kagome smirked at her friends as she held the completed Shikon no Tama in her hands, completely purified. She stepped over the ashes that were now the only remains of Naraku's purified form. Kurama and Inuyasha rushed over to her, each on one of her sides and helped her stand.

She smiled at Hiei. He crossed his arms and walked away, not really one for gratitude.

Kagome turned to Botan. "Would you open us up a portal? I think we'd all like to go home now." Then she collapsed, her energy drained, but she didn't hit the hard ground because two pairs of arms had caught her. Two pairs of golden eyes locked with one another clearly saying to the other that it wasn't their place to save this slip of a girl.

Annoyed with the behavior of his friend and younger brother, Sesshoumaru took Kagome from their arms and carried her himself before causally tossing over his shoulder at the two angry canine demons, "You must really learn to grow up."

TBC

################

Since I'm almost done with this fiction, FINALLY. I'm thinking of starting another YYH/IY crossover, but under the YYH category. Here's a synopsis of it. I'm not sure if I'll do it or not, but I'm really wanting to! If you guys can leave comments about it too that would be great. If you like it I'll post it later this week just to put it out there.

Yu Yu Hakusho x Inuyasha

Treasure Buried Deep Within

Shuuichi Minamino is through with the Spirit Detectives, so he thinks. He is now starting graduate school doing archeological research about items that once would have sparked Youko's thieving nature. His research partner is Kagome Higurashi and her obsession with the Shikon no Tama is contagious.

Prologue:

Shuuichi Minamino looked back down at his college senior ring while he continued to drive his jeep to the site. He was about to meet his research partner. All he knew was that last name of the individual was Higurashi. Hopefully it wasn't some short, pencil pushing, wimpy guy. He really didn't want to have to deal with any more of those types after spending three years at Tokyo University in the most advanced courses offered being the only one there not in that category.

He smiled as he remembered how proud his mother was of him for graduating Summa Cum Laude. His perfect 4.0 grade point average tarnished by that one blasphemous C he had earned in an Archery kinesiology class. Who would have thought it would be so hard to aim a little stick at a big red circle?

It had been four long years since Koenma had requested his help for anything in the Spirit World. He smiled as the sandy hills of the Arabian desert passed by. He didn't know much about this Higurashi fellow, but knew that he too had graduated from a top of the line university in three years with a bachelors in ancient archeology studies. Now they both were earning a masters degree in that same subject.

Shuuichi's inner Kitsune was only appeased now-a-days when the prospect of hunting ancient, obscure treasures was waved under his nose. His days as Kurama, the Spirit Detective were over. As a result, it was getting harder and harder to control his alter personality, Youko Kurama.

As he pulled the car up to the front of the digging site he noticed that there was only one other vehicle. It was still early, as a matter of fact, the sun had only risen about half an hour ago and no one was expected to be here until an hour from then.

He grabbed his satchel and tossed it over his shoulder as he locked his jeep and went in search of the other archeologist. He didn't have to look long when he stumbled across someone sitting with their back against the recently excavated dwellings. They were wearing very loose fitting clothing, a baseball cap, and a pair of hiking boots.

They seemed to notice him as well and removed their hat that obscured their view. Kurama dropped his satchel at the unexpected sight of the sapphire eyes and long obsidian tresses that cascaded down her back as a beautiful smile seemed to light up his world.

She stood before him and extended her hand. "Hi, my name is Kagome Higurashi. You must be Shuuichi Minamino." Kagome smiled at him and he shook her hand firmly, trying to calm to unsteady beat of his heart when he felt that electric connection from when their skin touched.

Looking completely calm on the exterior, he flashed her a heart stoping smile of his own. "It is a pleasure Higurashi-san, please call me Kurama."

Kagome frowned at the odd name but a smile quickly masked her confusion. "No need for the formalities then, call me Kagome. Why do you go by Kurama?" She inquired, finding it would make a very odd middle name to fit between Shuuichi and Minamino.

"It's just something my close friends in high school used to call me. No one else is allowed to use it, but I figure if we're going to be working with each other you might as well use it too." Kurama replied as he finally realized they were still holding hands, though they had ceased shaking a while ago. He retracted his appendage as if he was burned.

Kagome looked down at her hand in puzzlement before quickly placing it behind her back. "Well it is a pleasure to meet you Kurama. Would you like me to tell you what we've started to uncover?"

Kurama's emerald eyes shown with a brief burst at excitement at the suggestion before recovering and appearing calm gemstones. "Yes, I believe that would be a good idea."