Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Never say: It can't get any worse ❯ You can't teach old dogs new tricks ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

~Tendrils of warm light flitted through the canopy of the forest illuminating the almost dark forest with dancing pinpoints of light rays. I smiled in appreciation at all the sakura blossoms raining down on us as a gentle breeze blew the petals at our faces. The sun was setting casting an ethereal glow to the world. Mother was inside making dinner; my little four-year-old brother was here beside me holding my hand as we sat on the stoop of our home. All was right.

"Beautiful isn't it?" I said more than asked as I caught a blossom and breathed in the smell.

"Umhm." He replied.

I smiled watching as the petals fell like soft rain. "Have you ever seen anything as beautiful?"

My brother smiled gently. "Mom and you." He reached out and caught a blossom in his palm. "Beautiful."

I reached over and patted the boy on the head. "I love you bro."

He looked up with his impish grin. "I love you more!"

"Nuh uh! I do!"

"Do not!"

"Do too!"

"Do not!"

"Do too!"

"Do not!"

"Do too!"~

Kagome sat up eyes wide as she looked around confused. Her dream - she didn't remember it. She looked around bleary eyed, Rin was snuggled up on her lap, Ah-Un was under a tree and Sesshomaru was sitting on a branch scanning the area. She suddenly felt sleepy. She yawned and laid back down to sleep.

*********

"I spy with my little eye something that is . . . . white." Rin said.

"Sesshomaru's fluffy thing on his shoulder.." Kagome replied.

Rin sighed, "You're really good at this game. I wish I were as good."

Kagome smiled. "Here's some advice, next time, don't look directly at what you want me to guess at." She said.

Rin nodded then yawned. "I'm going to take a nap-nap time." She looked at Kagome sleepily. "Will Kagome sing Rin a song?" she asked.

Kagome smiled then started singing, "Hush little Rin-chan don't say word. Kagome' s gonna get you a mocking bird. And if that mocking bird don't sing. Kagome's gonna get you a diamond ring. And if that diamond rings gets broke. Kagome's gonna get you a Billy goat. And if that Billy goat runs away. Kagome's gonna get you . . . . " Kagome kept singing until at Rin fell asleep smiling. "Sweet dreams lovely." Kagome whispered giving Rin a small kiss on the forehead.

Sesshomaru sadly sighed inwardly when the miko finished singing. Her voice was like the gentle tinkling of a wind chime being blown by a gentle summer breeze. Her voice was soothing - it almost made him go to sleep.

"Come her wench." Sesshomaru called over his shoulder.

Kagome glared at the taiyoukai's back. "For the last time my name is Kagome! KA - GO - ME!!!"

Sesshomaru rolled his eyes, figures she'd want to make things difficult. "Kagome, come here."

The miko smirked; who says old dogs couldn't learn new tricks? "I didn't hear you say 'please'."

The taiyoukai's eye twitched, "Get over here before I kill you." He said coldly. To hell with being nice, he was no good at that shit unless it was to Rin.

Kagome scowled, so much for new tricks. She sighed then quickened her pace, "Yes?" she asked when she was walking beside him.

"Why does Rin call you onee-san? How do you know her?"

"Uh . . . well. One time while you hand Inu Yasha were fighting Rin ran into a clearing, me and Shippo were in, being chased by a rat demon. We saved her and then we stated talking. She told us you were her master and we decided from that time forth to meet each other when you and Inu Yasha fought." She said casually.

Sesshomaru's eye twitched, "So you and my young ward played while that half-breed and I practically fought to the death?" he said icily.

Kagome sighed, "Oh come on! You two have fought a countless number of times, he never loses the Tetsusaiga, you never gain it. You both live. It gets monotonous. I even memorized how it goes. You jump in from somewhere, Inu Yasha pulls out his trusty Tetsusaiga says, "What do you want bastard?!" or something insulting with 'bastard' in it. You say, "I have come for Tetsusaiga." Or "This Sesshomaru does not have to answer to you half breed." Or something of the sort. Then you exchange insults back and forth for a few minutes. . . blah blah blah blah. . . You piss him off, he lunges, you lunge back pulling out your sword, you two do this whole fight scene. Later he uses the windscar on you . . . Tensaiga saves you and you're sent somewhere else . . . a few weeks later you two are at it again." She sighed once more, "See. I bet even Shippo has it laid out in his head - and he's only like what? Five . . six years old?"

The taiyoukai nearly choked. He just couldn't believe she actually memorized his brother's and his meetings. He couldn't believe that it was true! But it was, they were just repeating the same monotonous battle again and again. Why hadn't he noticed?

"You two were probably so intent on killing each other that you two didn't notice." Kagome said as if she had read his mind. "By the way who are these people I'm supposed to . . . . entertain?"

"Taiyoukais from all over the world, all the important cardinal lords and ladies. They're coming here for the bicentennial Lord's Meeting and it is my turn to host this year's meeting. The taiyoukais are from such countries as England, Scatland, France, Russia, Philippines, China, The Americas, India, Ireland, etc. . . . . But you've probably never heard of those places - "

"Scotland." Kagome interrupted.

Sesshomaru raised an eyebrow. "What?"

Kagome shrugged, "It's called Scotland not Scatand."

The taiyoukai was irritated that she had corrected him - and he knew she was correct - but was at the same surprised that she knew the correct pronunciation. "Yes, Scotland. How did you know the correct pronunciation?" he asked suspiciously.

Kagome shrugged chastising herself for letting something slip. "I was born in Scotland and lived there till I was about five or six. My parents were visiting my aunt whom moved there years ago, and then suddenly she had to give birth to me." She said in mild amusement. The day of her birth had been a funny one considering the fact that she was born in a mall in the women's bathroom stall, coincidentally enough the women in the bathroom were all nurses off duty. Her mother laughingly recalled how the women helping her refused to let her father in because he was a guy so he banged on the door shouting out obscenities. Yelling about how he was missing his first child's birth and that he'd sue their asses off if they didn't let him in, the mall staff were kind enough to give her mother a copy of the security tape with her father raising hell on it. Kagome chuckled.

She absently wondered how weird her own child's birth would be.

*********

"Wow." Was all Kagome could say when she saw Sesshomaru's palace. It had high towers, a bridge to cross the small moat full of colourful fishies. (Remember that episode when Inu Yasha almost gets sucked into that faceless mother thing? He had that flashback of when he was a kid? Remember when his chibi self tried to get the golden ball? Do you remember the background? Well that palace is the same one)

"It's prettyful isn't it?" Rin said bounding up beside the miko, "Let me show you my room!!" she exclaimed pulling the laughing teenager along.

Sesshomaru smiled slightly. The miko was going to be an excellent playmate for Rin.

*********

For the following two days Rin dragged Kagome everywhere and the little girl didn't even dare leave the miko alone for fear that she'd wake up and find out she was just a dream. Sesshomaru watched them from the shadows as he waited anxiously for the upcoming Lords Meeting.

*********

Inu Yasha growled low in his throat from where he was perched on a tree branch overlooking the well. It had been two and a half days already and Kagome still hadn't shown up. 'That's it!' He thought grumpily, 'I don't care if she has some bloody exam to do, but we have to go now!' he thought. Though secretly he was just scared that she had decided that she didn't want to come back again. The hanyou jumped up and landed in the well. The blue light engulfed him then suddenly, he was in Kagome's time. The halfling jumped up to the Kagome's window with ease, he looked inside, no one was there and the window was locked.

"Inu Yasha?" a small voice asked.

Inu Yasha looked down to see Souta standing there looking up at him with a broom in hand. "Souta." The halfling dropped to the ground in front of the boy, "Where's Kagome?" he asked.

Souta gave him a confused look, "Isn't she still in your time?" he said.

The hanyou paled slightly, this was great! The Lords Meeting was tomorrow! He'd only have half a day to find Kagome before having to go over to his half brother's estate. "Thanks kid." He grumbled. Tomorrow he'd have to go over to the Western Lands, tomorrow he and all the other demons there would have a momentary truce until the meeting was adjourned and you were away at least ten miles from where the meet took place. Tomorrow would indicate the start of the one month of every two hundred years when every cardinal lord and lady met to discuss the issues plaguing the world.

'Damn.' Inu Yasha thought with a growl as he hopped into the well. 'I'm hungry.'

*********

Hhmmm . . . . interesting. It's my subconscious never ceases to amaze me when it comes to dishing up ideas.