Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ River of Crystals ❯ Fallacy ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Fallacy
 
 
 
“Talking”
 
`Thinking'
 
Stressed
 
 
 
It's strange how the people you want to notice you always manage to look through you. It seems like error of logic and belief when they finally notice you. When they do notice you, they don't notice your eyes, face, or even soul. They manage to notice all the flaws you carry about you. Kagome could smell the rice fields that were only a couple feet away. The entrance to the village wasn't very far and she hated the way her stomach twisted. It was close to dusk and the villagers no longer tended their fields. She could feel Hiei's eyes observing her from behind.
 
“What do you want?” A gruff voice questioned. Kagome smiled as the figure of red and silver landed in front of her.
 
“Inuyasha,” Kagome happily greeted with a smile.
 
His amber eyes studied Kagome in confusion before he looked over to see Kirara and then to the mini Hiei. His eyes then went back to Kagome. Her hair was the wrong color, her eyes had too much blue, and she had a weird symbol on her forehead. Her scent was also off and she seemed to have the features of a Kitsune. He shook his head and then pointed out to her why she wasn't who she is. Her left eye began to twitch before she stomped her foot on the ground.
 
“Osuwari!” Kagome yelled as she repeated it about five times. “You're such a jerk!”
 
Kagome then stomped into the village and Kirara followed her. Hiei stared at the fallen hanyou before he laughed and pointed. He heard growling and chose to follow the Kitsune Miko. He ran over to her and watched as she entered a hut on her left. Kirara ran after her and he shrugged. Coming to the door of the hut, he looked inside and watched as a woman dressed as a Taijiya drop her katana in shock. He was so involved in studying the pair he didn't notice the approaching figure.
 
“What have we here?” The figure asked as he picked Hiei up by the collar of his cloak.
 
“Put me down!” Hiei growled as he turned his head around to glare. The figure shrugged and dropped Hiei unexpectedly to the ground. Hiei then ran inside the hut and to the side of Kagome.
 
“Who's that?” The other woman asked.
 
“This is Hiei,” Kagome introduced as the figure walked into the hut.
 
“So the little forbidden one is yours?” The figure asked.
 
“He's my new…charge,” Kagome stated as she put a hand on his shoulder.
 
“Is he safe?” The other woman asked as she received a glare from the child.
 
`She acts as if I'm a dog,' he thought as he snorted.
 
“He is Hiei and yes he is safe,” Kagome explained.
 
“KAGOME!” A voice screeched as it proceeded to scream.
 
Kagome quickly turned around and caught the Kitsune within her embrace. Hiei stepped back in confusion as the Kitsune huddled into her embrace for protection. Just then, the same hanyou entered the hut with an enraged look. Kagome glared at the hanyou and held the Kitsune tighter to herself.
 
“I'm going to kill him!” Inuyasha growled.
 
“Leave my kit alone,” Kagome growled as her eyes turned a deeper shade of blue.
 
“He bit my ear!” Inuyasha indignantly yelled as he pointed to the offended appendage. Kagome winced as she saw the teeth marks in the ear. Sighing to herself, Kagome looked down upon Shippo.
 
“Shippo,” Kagome calmly said. Shippo buried his face deeper within her stomach.
 
“He's caught and he knows it,” Hiei mumbled as he leaned against the hut wall and watched the scene.
 
“Am not!” Shippo shouted before he glared at Hiei.
 
“Why did you bite Inuyasha?” Kagome asked.
 
“He wouldn't tell me where you went,” Shippo explained.
 
“Is that a good reason to bite him?” Kagome seriously asked.
 
“Maybe…”
 
“Did he touch you in anyway?” Kagome asked.
 
“No…but he…”
 
“If he didn't touch you, do you think its right that you touched him?” Kagome calmly asked.
 
“No, but he…”
 
“Words are words Shippo,” Kagome interrupted, “I know for a fact that you could have tracked me.”
 
“I'm sorry,” Shippo said as his eyes watered.
 
“You should apologize to Inuyasha not me,” Kagome stated with a smile. “And after that you'll train with him.”
 
“But he's a slave driver!” Shippo yelled in shock.
 
“I know…but it's for your own good,” Kagome defended. Shippo pouted at her before he turned to face Inuyasha.
 
“Sorry,” Shippo muttered before he walked out the door.
 
“Alls well and ends well,” the man known as the figure spoke.
 
“So what happened to you?” Inuyasha asked as he rubbed his ear.
 
“Long story,” Kagome groaned as she rubbed her own ear.
 
“We've got time,” Sango offered.
 
“Okay,” Kagome sighed.
 
“Please take your time,” the figure offered.
 
“Thanks Miroku,” Kagome said before she began her tale, leaving the part about Kikyo being alive out.
 
Hiei sat around their small table stuffed between Kagome and the returned Shippo. He was bored with her story and at the same time fascinated with it. He hadn't believed the Shikon no Tama actually existed. He believed that there was a Miko named Midoriko, but the Tama had actually been real. His red eyes stared at the young Miko telling the story in slight awe and fear. He began to fidget when he realized she could purify him without a thought or glance. He slightly jumped when she laid a calming hand on his shoulder.
 
“It sounds like you ate the fruit of the moon,” Miroku stated once she finished. Sango looked over at Miroku in confusion and Shippo made a `wha' sound. Hiei leaned his head against Kagome's arm while he listened to their conversation.
 
“The fruit of the moon? Sounds like a bad shampoo,” Kagome commented. Miroku gave her a dry look and she smiled sheepishly.
 
“The fruit of the moon was said have fallen from the moon itself. It only appears to those it finds worthy and it grants them one wish,” Miroku wisely explained.
 
“Doesn't sound to bad,” Sango said.
 
“It has been rumored about around temples and shrines for many years…until now,” Miroku commented.
 
“After I finished it…I wished I could be real mother to Shippo, but not a full youkai,” Kagome voiced.
 
“Maybe the fruit twisted your wish,” Sango suggested.
 
“The fruit is cursed,” a voice piped up. Kagome slapped her neck and pulled her palm away to reveal Myouga.
 
“What a pleasant surprise,” Inuyasha mocked.
 
“Myouga, how are you?” Kagome asked. Myouga popped back to normal and looked up at her.
 
“I am doing fine…but you are not,” Myouga gravely said.
 
“What are you talking about?” Inuyasha asked in mild annoyance.
 
“Kagome is cursed,” Myouga simply said.
 
“Cursed? Cursed as in she's going to die?” Shippo asked as his eyes watered.
 
“No, of course not,” Myouga assured.
 
“Then stop talking crap and speak something normal,” Inuyasha yelled, still frightened by the fact she could possibly die.
 
“She is still human, but a different type of human,” Myouga tried to explain.
 
“You mean different like a Miko different?” Sango asked.
 
“No, she is still a Miko…but she is far more advance,” Myouga gleefully explained.
 
“Advanced…how advanced?” Miroku inquired.
 
“There was a legend that youkai and humans were one race. They were both human and youkai; it was like Yin and Yang, both completing each other in a perfect balance. It was never explained how the youkai and humans became two separate beings, but they managed to somehow,” Myouga told.
 
“So, I'm this youkai-human?” Kagome asked.
 
“Precisely. This is also how hanyous came to be hated,” Myouga began.
 
“Hanyous…is it because they're closer to becoming what I am?” Kagome asked.
 
“If you've noticed, all the hanyou you've met upon your journey they're stronger then most youkai. They are closer to becoming a pure being and becoming stronger then both races,” Myouga explained.
 
“So they're hated because they're strong?” Sango asked.
 
“They are hated because the break the rules, most youkai and humans don't remember why they hate hanyous. All they know is that they're an abomination. This was started to keep the races separate,” Myouga informed.
 
“Who started this rumor?” Kagome asked.
 
“The name is long forgotten, like the legend,” Myouga sadly said.
 
“Do you know anything about this first race?” Kagome asked.
 
“I've read that they have three forms. A human form, a youkai form, and then the true youkai form,” Myouga offered.
 
“So far this doesn't sound that bad,” Kagome stated.
 
“The only problem is that you must take your true form one night a month,” Myouga stated.
 
“Sounds like a shifter,” Kagome mumbled.
 
“Shifter?” Myouga questioned in interest.
 
“They are beings that are forced to transform on the night of the full moon,” Kagome simply said.
 
“Maybe these shifters and pure youkai have more in common then we all know,” Myouga stated.
 
“So how do I use my forms?” Kagome questioned.
 
“When a youkai begins their first change to a true form it is difficult at first, but throughout each change it becomes simpler,” Myouga explained.
 
“I'm going to go for a walk,” Kagome stated as she stood up.
 
Kagome quickly left the hut, only to find herself leaving the village. She walked to the only place that held comfort in her darkest hours. When she couldn't find support in Sango or Miroku, and Inuyasha couldn't offer the comfort, she would go to her tree. In her time of distress, one place that could calm her down when she couldn't find shelter anywhere else. Letting her gaze travel to the Goshinboku she leaned against its bark and sighed. Leaning her head against it she sighed again as her mind fully processed the events.
 
She now knew that she would never live a normal life, not even with a man from this time. Turning her head to the side, she let her cheek rest against the bark. Her focus was lost for a brief second when she thought of how smooth the bark was compared to other trees. Going back to her thoughts she thought of the possibility of marrying a youkai. Kouga would take her, she knew that he would take her as his. Shaking that thought from her head she sighed at herself in anger. Kouga was sweet, but she couldn't feel for him in that way.
 
It would be wrong to find a fake happiness and settling for someone, she didn't love. It wouldn't be fair to either of them. If she did find another youkai, she knew they would always fear her in someway. Her Miko ki would always be a threat to the youkai. She knew she could control it, but they didn't know that. Snorting at her thoughts, she thought of what happiness she did have. Her eyes widened in shock as she realized something for the first time. If she were this new breed of youkai-human, then how would she age?
 
“Not good,” Kagome whispered to herself.
 
Opening her eyes, she wished she never wished for this. Glaring at the nearest plant she started to try and blame anything for her predicament. Groaning in defeat she knew that this was none's fault. It was probably fate working against her. Thinking back to the legends she knew, she figured that shifters aged slower since their bodies didn't seem to weaken. If she were like the youkai of today, she would age even slower. Either way, she would be forced to watch those she loves die. She couldn't stand the thought of her cat dying, how was she to deal with people.
 
Turning her gaze to the forest, she listened to the silence. Smiling sadly she knew he was out there. He seemed so closed off from the world. Frowning at her thoughts she found it said that he found her as she was losing bits of herself. Maybe as she lost herself he found himself, it could be possible. No matter what, evil learned from good and good learnt from evil. Looking into the forest again she sighed.
 
“Come out,” Kagome gently demanded. Hiei stepped out from the forest shadows his short form showing his hesitated approach.
 
“Why did you call me a charge?” Hiei asked. He hated to be unsure of himself.
 
“I assumed that was your desire,” Kagome stated with a bored look, she didn't want to scare him off.
 
He briefly looked away and stared at the missing bark before his red eyes turned back to her blue ones. She could tell he was weighing the odds in his mind, his eyes deepened in color before the slightly dulled. Hiei had seen things in his short six years of life that had permanently mutilated his view on life. He hadn't tried to search for a new home or a place to belong; he hadn't had time to think of things like that. He was constantly on the run, especially after the thieves that raised him dumped him off. He briefly wondered if he should take the chance and be under her as a charge. All that would be for him in the end if didn't go well was disappointment. Deciding he could live through that he nodded his head.
 
“I would…like to be your charge,” he unsurely said. Kagome smiled and nodded her head in approval. Standing up from her position on the forest ground, she placed a shoulder on his hand.
 
“I think you'll find it very…relaxing here,” Kagome offered with a slight grin.
 
 
 
Author's Note: