Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ River of Crystals ❯ Dawn's Light ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Dawn's Light
 
 
 
 
“Talking”
 
`Thinking'
 
Flashbacks
 
Stressed
 
 
 
 
Groaning in bliss she rolled to her side and onto the hard wood of the floor. Blue eyes opened in slight fear as she moved. Sitting up quickly she listened to her surroundings. The sound of the breathing was present and the soft constant blow of the wind told her she was up in the mountains. Following the sound of the breathing she found Kikyo stirring a stew. Sighing in relief, she noticed she was nude. Her cheeks turned pink and she pulled the cover to her chin in an attempt to be modest. Turning to the person she smiled at Kikyo. Kikyo smiled back and handed her a set of Miko clothes for her to cover herself.
 
“How did I end up here?” Kagome asked.
 
“You came here before dawn,” Kikyo simply answered.
 
“Are there any types of youkai that are forced to change at certain times of the month?” Kagome asked trying to figure out what she was.
 
“Hanyous are the only ones forced to take a weaker form,” Kikyo answered as she caught on to Kagome's train of thought.
 
“The only difference was I was forced to take a stronger form,” Kagome mumbled.
 
“If you are truly of the old youkai from the past then you must be careful. There will be those who want to use you for your power,” Kikyo seriously warned.
 
“Since I am able to still use my Miko abilities then do I have to fear purification?” Kagome mused to herself.
 
Kikyo stood up and laid her hands upon Kagome's shoulders. Without warning she released her Miko ki into the youkai-human. Kagome sat there unharmed as she slightly absorbed the ki. Kikyo pulled back from the other Miko exhausted. Her gasps for air were signs that purification would not have to be a fear.
 
“Are you alright?” Kagome asked with hints of concern.
 
Kikyo stood up and nodded her head in reassurance before she brushed her robes off of any dirt. Walking back to her stew she removed the pot from the flame and offered Kagome some. Kagome respectfully declined and stood to get dressed. Once finished she walked out the hut door and looked down at the mountain, it was going to be a long walk.
 
“Travel safe,” Kikyo whispered to Kagome.
 
“Keep living or else,” Kagome teased with a smile.
 
“Have you developed any of your youkai abilities?” Kikyo inquired.
 
“I can only use my strength, speed, and some senses. Even that little bit isn't developed to what it could be,” Kagome wistfully answered.
 
“I'm sure there are those that would help you,” she suggested.
 
“One day when I'm gone I want you take care of everyone and the village,” Kagome suddenly said. Her eyes widened in shock before they misted with sadness.
 
“I can never go back to that part of my, I must not try to keep the past in the present,” Kikyo explained.
 
“Promise that if something happens that you'll take care of them all,” Kagome pleaded.
 
“Why this sudden revelation?” Kikyo first inquired.
 
“I have a feeling…and I must make sure everyone is taken care of,” Kagome explained as she wiped at her eyes.
 
“I will do as you ask, even though I couldn't remain,” Kikyo promised.
 
“Thank you,” Kagome whispered before she began her journey down the mountain.
 
Kikyo stood from the top of the mountain and watched as Kagome disappeared into the forest. She sometimes wondered if the girl would meet a similar fate as her own. Such fates could alter a person for the rest of their lives and that was something she didn't want to happen to the girl. Kagome stopped at the edge of the forest and waived a farewell to Kikyo before she took off running.
 
Forcing her new muscles to work she found that she could move as fast as Inuyasha. If she would work harder then she knew she would past Inuyasha's speed and maybe Kouga's one day. Jumping into the air she passed the brush of trees and took off running on the top of the trees. Laughing from the feeling jumped higher and back flipped. Landing back on the ground she took off again this time wanting to break her limits. Within a few minutes the village was in sight. Sliding to a halt she jumped past Hiei and lightly touched his hair.
 
Hiei growled but as soon as his eyes landed on Kagome he ran after her. Shippo felt the wind whip by and looked again to see Hiei chasing it. Narrowing his eyes he caught the flicker of a foxtail. Dropping the mop he ran outside after them. Kagome stopped running and both of the kids crashed into her back and knocked themselves down to the ground. Shippo was pulling on Kagome's ears while laughing and Hiei was scowling a bit trying to hide the smile. Kagome attempted to roll them all off her but was stopped by the laughter that entered her ears. Hiei was doing his best to cover it, but it was laughter.
 
“Kagome! Where the hell have you been?” Inuyasha growled as he stepped out of Sango and Miroku's hut. Kagome propped her head up in the palm of her hand and smiled.
 
“Didn't Kagura tell you?” Kagome calmly asked.
 
“She said you'd be arriving at dawn and it's the afternoon,” Inuyasha growled.
 
“Yes mother, I'm sorry I'm late,” Kagome mocked before she stuck her tongue out at him.
 
“Lay off Inuyasha,” Shippo scolded as he fell off Kagome as she stood. Hiei glared at the hanyou before he `hn' and turned away.
 
“We were worried about you,” Inuyasha softly said as he glared at Shippo.
 
“Inuyasha was worried, but we knew you were fine,” Shippo proudly stated.
 
“Brat,” Inuyasha growled as he bumped Shippo on the head.
 
“Do you smell that?” Hiei asked as he sniffed the air.
 
“Wait a minute,” Inuyasha mumbled as he sniffed the air and growled. Kagome looked at them in confusion and sniffed the air. Her eyes widened in shock before she muttered a curse.
 
“Shippo…Hiei, go inside with Sango and Miroku,” Kagome firmly ordered. Shippo wanted to protest, but Hiei dragged him along as they entered the hut.
 
“Did you meet any strange youkai?” Inuyasha whispered.
 
“I met a kitsune,” Kagome meekly confirmed.
 
“Let's go inside and discuss this,” Inuyasha decided as he pulled her inside.
 
Hiei and Shippo were in a corner discussing sword types. Sango and Miroku were seated at the little table talking amongst themselves. Inuyasha took a seat and had Kagome sit after him. Sango was currently petting Kirara as they stopped talking.
 
“How did the trip go?” Miroku inquired.
 
“The Forlorn Hope is on the other side,” Kagome confirmed.
 
“How did you get it there?” Sango asked.
 
“A friend helped me,” Kagome vaguely said as she smiled.
 
“Anything else happened,” Inuyasha asked.
 
“Yes, I was forced to transform at the full moon,” Kagome stated before she dived into the full explanation. The only thing she left out was the fact that Kikyo was the one that gave her clothes.
 
“Like a hanyou you were forced to take a form…only you forced into a stronger form,” Miroku observed as Kagome nodded.
 
“She's not exactly what the youkai of today are,” Sango commented.
 
“What if I'm like the shape shifters in my time?” Kagome asked.
 
“No you can't be, because then you wouldn't have youkai features or youki,” Inuyasha suddenly said.
 
“So what species am I?” Kagome asked.
 
“She's a perfect youkai, but at the same time an advanced human,” Sango mumbled as Kagome smoothed the fur on her tail.
 
“What if we just call me a Yougen? Youkai and Ningen mixed together?” Kagome asked with a look of hope.
 
“Only until we find out what you really are,” Miroku agreed as they all nodded.
 
“What are we going to do about that Kitsune?” Sango brought up the next subject.
 
“We attack if he comes to close,” Inuyasha simply said, catching Hiei and Shippo's attention.
 
“He seemed powerful, but he was also shielding most of his youki,” Kagome explained.
 
“Then it would do no good to attack blindly, we should just wait and see what his motives are,” Miroku calmly stated.
 
“I agree, it would be stupid to attack blindly,” Sango agreed.
 
“What if he comes to close to the village?” Inuyasha growled.
 
“Then we simply warn him,” Miroku suggested.
 
“It would be stupid to make any enemies this soon,” Sango sighed as she thought of Naraku's damage.
 
“If he's out there I'll go give the first warning since he followed me,” Kagome offered.
 
“Would that be wise?” Miroku asked.
 
“It would be safer for someone familiar then a total stranger,” Kagome reasoned.
 
“Plus Kitsune don't attack their kind without just cause,” Shippo spoke as he bounced around Hiei.
 
“What do you mean their kind?” Kagome asked with a raised brow.
 
“He marked you as something to watch when he smeared his blood on your cheek,” Shippo informed.
 
“Then why did he attack me before?” Kagome asked finding it silly that her own kit knew more about their species then her.
 
“He was testing you, seeing if you were worthy,” Shippo said in a `duh' voice. Everyone in the room raised an eyebrow including the young Hiei.
 
“Then I think I should go,” Kagome said as she stretched.
 
“You shouldn't go alone…it could be dangerous,” Miroku spoke,” as he looked her in the eyes.
 
“I'll take Hiei with me,” Kagome assured as Hiei jumped up at the opportunity to a fight.
 
“He can't protect you from a powerful youkai,” Inuyasha growled at her.
 
“Inuyasha,” Kagome calmly began, “I can protect myself, just because I seem youkai doesn't mean my Miko abilities are gone.”
 
“We'll be close and watching you then,” Miroku agreed before Inuyasha could say more.
 
Sango pulled her Katana from the shelf and tossed it to Hiei. He looked at the katana in pure awe before he calmed his face.
 
“You remember our training?” Sango asked.
 
“Yes sensei,” Hiei replied as he put the katana in his sash.
 
“Then let's go greet the Kitsune,” Kagome muttered with a grin.
 
 
 
 
Author's Note: