Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ River of Crystals ❯ Golden Eyes ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Golden Eyes
 
 
 
“Talking”
 
`Thinking'
 
Stressed
 
 
 
 
Hiei stood as tall as his height would allow him to be. Kagome smiled at him in reassurance before she took lead. Looking over her shoulder at him she gently giggled. The end of Sango's katana slightly touched the ground as he walked. Kagome saw him as adorable; a little toddler with a baseball is what she imagined. Turning her attention back to the forest ahead of them, her face calmed and turned stoic. She didn't mind if youkai took refuge in Inuyasha's forest, but once they caused problems for her villages or any village they were gone.
 
Kagome would be fair and listen to the villager's that complained of the youkai. She would then hear out the youkai's side of the story. There had one time been a village leader complaining about an Ookami. Kagome went to the youkai and found that the villager's attacked him when he tried to pass. The youkai had been separated from his pack that was visiting Kouga's den.
 
“Come on my shadow,” Kagome called back to Hiei.
 
“Hn,” Hiei scoffed as he jogged to catch up to her.
 
Hiei had earned the nickname of shadow from the villagers. Their eyes weren't trained to watch youkai abilities. So, when they saw him run all they saw was a shadow passing them by. Some had called him flying shadow, but most just dubbed him shadow. They had entered the outer edges of the forest. Kagome let her youki out to sense the surrounding the area. Hiei watched her as she felt for the Kitsune. They were approaching middle of the forest and she had not been able to sense anything. Growling her disapproval, she held her hand out to Hiei.
 
“Take my hand Hiei,” Kagome softly ordered.
 
Hiei grabbed her hand and looked up to watch her. He felt her youki withdraw from the area. Within a few seconds, he slightly jumped. Her Miko ki poured off of her in waves. He knew that if let go he would be distracting her, but as long as he held onto her, she would cover his youki. Kagome's scowl turned into a smirk as she withdrew her Miko ki.
 
“Did you find him?” Hiei excitedly asked.
 
“He's in the northwest,” Kagome answered as she squeezed his hand in glee.
 
“Will we get to fight?” Hiei questioned.
 
“If we do fight I want you to run and get the others, then you can fight him,” Kagome sternly said.
 
“Yes, Kagome-sama,” Hiei reluctantly agreed.
 
Kagome picked up Hiei, tossed him on her back, and took off. His small arms wrapped around her neck in an effort to hang on. Hiei buried his face in her hair and smiled as the wind passed them by. He vowed that he would one day run this fast and maybe faster. Hiei looked up and over her shoulder when he felt her slowing down. Sniffing the air, he could smell the Kitsune now that they were closer to him. Kagome crouched down and let Hiei jump off. They walked around the area searching with their eyes for the youkai.
 
Kagome turned her head to the forest floor when a slight rustling caught her attention. Watching the floor her eyes widened in surprise and mirth. A vine was twisting its way towards her like a snake would. Hiei unsheathed his katana and cut the vine in half. With a triumphant smirk, he went to sheath the katana. His smirk turned into a scowl, as the second part of the vine grew longer and made its way towards them. Kagome pulled him back by the shoulder until they came to a tree.
 
“Fire stops any plant,” Kagome hinted. Hiei's red eyes turned to her and then sparked with understanding.
 
Holding out his hand, he gathered the flames and threw them at the vines. Upon contact, the vines withered into nothing. Kagome proudly smiled and rubbed the top of his head in affection. The flames died down and Kagome scanned the area.
 
“I know you're here, show yourself or are you to cowardly,” Kagome taunted.
 
“This Youko Kurama fears no one,” Youko angrily declared.
 
Kagome smirked as he stepped out from the shadows. She could make out the silver gleam with the sun beginning to set. His silver hair blew forward as a gust of came towards them. Then his golden eyes locked onto hers. Kagome once again began to compare those eyes to the eyes of Sesshoumaru and Inuyasha. His eyes didn't seem stoic by choice. Shaking her head she noched her ya on her Hami-Yumi. His eyebrow rose in a mocking manner as his eyes glared at her.
 
“What are you doing in my forest?” Kagome asked. She learned that youkai always established dominance over territory.
 
“This area is yours?” He questioned as he took his claw and scratched at the tree bark. “It doesn't look like it belongs to anyone.”
 
“Your near my village, this forest is not mine by law, but it is under my watch,” Kagome growled as her eyes hardened.
 
“Your village,” Youko question, “there are more like you?”
 
“No, there are none like me,” Kagome answered as Hiei stood in a defensive stance.
 
“What are you doing in a human village then?” Youko questioned.
 
“You are in my territory, I think you've earned no right to question me,” Kagome firmly stated as she watched him. His eyes narrowed as he studied her.
 
“I wish to know where the Forlorn Hope is,” Youko calmly said. Kagome lightly laughed at him.
 
“That is unreachable by any living being,” Kagome answered.
 
“Explain,” Youko coldly demanded.
 
“You have to be dead to get it,” Kagome vaguely informed. Hiei hid a smirk behind his scowl as he watched the Kitsune.
 
“The mirror is gone then,” Youko sighed.
 
“Why would you want it?” Kagome questioned.
 
“I am a collector,” Youko easily described.
 
“He's a thief,” Hiei spoke as he held the katana in front of him.
 
Youko glared at the little youkai for a few moments before his eyes recognized him. Youko began to grin and Hiei swallowed the lump in his throat.
 
“If you give my that little youkai I will leave you and your village alone,” Youko calmly offered as he smirked.
 
“What do you want with my charge?” Kagome demanded.
 
“Is everything around here yours?” Youko mocked as Kagome blushed.
 
“While you're here…everything is mine,” Kagome stated sounding like a spoiled child.
 
“That youkai tried to steal from me and must be punished,” Youko explained. Kagome looked down and noticed Hiei's grip tighten on the katana.
 
“I will not hand him over, he's under my protection,” Kagome calmly explained as she pushed Hiei behind her.
 
“You don't want to fight me for something that is tainted,” Youko spat as he glared at Hiei.
 
“Something that is tainted can hold more color then something that is pure,” Kagome replied as she took a defensive stance.
 
“You would fight to protect that forbidden child?” Youko scoffed.
 
“Call it a mother's instinct,” Kagome offered.
 
“Kagome-sama,” Hiei worriedly said as he held onto her shirt.
 
“If you will not hand over the child, I will take his punishment out on the village,” Youko growled. Kagome growled and release her Hamaya. Youko sidestep the Hamaya and growled when the ki surrounding it burned his shirt.
 
“You will not live if harm my village or child,” Kagome warned as her swayed in aggravation.
 
Youko studied her as he contemplated the situation. An angry female Kitsune was never a good thing to deal with. It was especially dangerous to anger a female Kitsune with kits to protect. He didn't want to back off and appear weak, so he need something to prove he wasn't the weak one.
 
“I will hold off on dealing a punishment of the village or child if you can prove your village and child aren't weak,” Youko stated.
 
`Bastard,' Kagome thought.
 
“Give us two weeks and you'll see enough,” Kagome bargained.
 
“I will stay at the village and be around watching them in two days,” Youko claimed before he vanished into the setting sun.
 
“What will the others think?” Hiei asked.
 
“I have know clue, but we will kill him if he attacks,” Kagome promised.
 
“Do you think of me as a son?” Hiei suddenly asked.
 
“Shippo is my adoptive, and I think my heart's big enough for both of you,” Kagome assured with a smile.
 
“I've never had a mom,” Hiei sadly stated.
 
“Then I'll be your mom if you want,” Kagome offered as they walked back.
 
“That would be nice,” Hiei whispered.
 
“That would my shadow,” Kagome softly said as they walked to the village.
 
 
 
 
Kagome and Hiei entered the village holding hands. Shippo ran over and jumped onto to Kagome. He deeply inhaled her scent and found the faint traces of a male Kitsune. Shippo grabbed Hiei and they took to find Kohaku and train. Kagome smiled and walked over to Sango and Miroku's hut. They were all waiting inside; Inuyasha was tapping his foot impatiently. His ears twitched as heard Kagome walk inside. She smiled and pinched his ear.
 
“How did it go?” Sango asked.
 
“He's very infuriating,” Kagome answered.
 
“What did he want?” Miroku asked instead.
 
“He asked about the Forlorn Hope, then Hiei, and then he threatened to destroy the village,” Kagome answered with a thoughtful look.
 
“Did you purify him?” Inuyasha asked.
 
“No,” Kagome scolded.
 
“Any fighting, what happened?” Sango asked Kagome.
 
“He said he'd give us…me two weeks to prove that the village or my child wasn't weak,” Kagome repeated as she growled.
 
“What does he want with Shippo?” Miroku asked knowing that he wasn't referring to Shippo.
 
“He meant Hiei,” Kagome sighed.
 
“That little runt's nothing but trouble,” Inuyasha growled.
 
“You should know better then anyone that it's hard to survive in a world that wants you dead,” Kagome heatedly growled.
 
“What did he do?” Miroku asked.
 
“Hiei tried to steal from a thief,” Kagome simply said.
 
“Fine, we'll defend him,” Inuyasha mumbled.
 
“We have two weeks to avoid a fight,” Kagome announced.
 
“He won't harm anyone until then?” Miroku inquired.
 
“That's the agreement,” Kagome answered.
 
“When will he come?” Miroku asked.
 
“In two days, but until then I have to go home,” Kagome quickly said.
 
“You have two days,” Inuyasha announced as he got up and left.
 
“Thanks,” Kagome whispered as she walked out of the hut.
 
 
 
 
Author's note: