Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ River of Crystals ❯ Day 2, Going Back ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Day 2: Going Back
 
 
 
 
“Talking”
 
`Thinking'
 
Memories
 
Stressed
 
 
 
 
Sitting in the school wasn't that bad of a deal in Kagome's mind. She found a nice picnic bench underneath a tree and proceeded to sit and eat her lunch. High school was everything she dreamed it would be. They gave their students more freedom then junior high. Kagome laughed at her use of the word freedom, she was beginning to sound like Kagura. Looking up into the tree, she saw Hiei relaxing.
 
“Don't you want to come down?” Kagome asked as she took a bite from her apple.
 
“No,” Hiei simply said.
 
Kagome frowned and shrugged. Going back to eating she smiled and leaned against the tree trunk. If only she didn't have to deal with Youko tomorrow.
 
“You're meeting Youko?” Hiei suddenly asked.
 
“You have to stop reading my mind, I'm not used to it,” Kagome calmly stated.
 
“Hn,” Hiei muttered.
 
“Yes, I'm meeting Youko tomorrow…why?” Kagome cautiously asked.
 
“Nothing,” Hiei sighed.
 
Kagome sighed and set her apple down. Times like these made her wish she didn't go back and forth. Her son was grown and in future, she wondered if Shippo was here. Wanting to ask, she didn't. She knew she wouldn't be able to meet the others until her quest was finished. There would be to many chances for there to be a slip up, she couldn't risk knowing something about the past. Looking back up at Hiei she smiled and closed her eyes, she was glad to have met her son.
 
 
 
 
Yesterday
 
 
Kagome casually slipped out of class before the bell rang. Standing outside the door she let out a breathe of relief. That Kuwabara was a very strange man. He almost made her wish she didn't have second year English. Walking down the hallway, she followed her nose to the food court. It was good to have youkai abilities at times. The bell chimed and Kagome smirked, she had planed her escape perfectly. A hand landed on her shoulder and she jumped. Grabbing the person's wrist, she flipped them onto their back.
 
“Sorry,” Kagome muttered as she stared down at the man.
 
“Stupid,” the boy muttered. Standing to his feet, he dusted off his green uniform and glared at her.
 
“Are you alright?” Kagome asked trying to remember his name.
 
“You in martial arts?” Yusuke asked as he raised an eyebrow in question.
 
“No,” Kagome mumbled.
 
“Then how'd you pull a move like that?” Yusuke asked.
 
“Reflexes,” Kagome quickly explained, “I have very good reflexes.”
 
“Whatever,” Yusuke mumbled as he walked past her and into the cafeteria.
 
“I think Keiko said we have…”
 
“Gym,” Yusuke finished. “You better have Kuwabara show you. I won't be going.”
 
Kagome shivered at the mention of Kuwabara and walked off with her lunch in hand. Going into the schoolyard she searched for a place to eat. Spotting a picnic table, she found it right under a tree. Walking towards the area, she sat down and pulled out her pocky and pop. Her hand paused above the pop can and she sniffed the air. Releasing her Miko ki, she found the youkai that was invading her lunchtime. Snapping her gaze to the tree, she found him sitting there.
 
“Hiei,” Kagome unsurely whispered.
 
Hiei stared at her and narrowed his red eyes in suspicion. Kagome was remind of how he was suspicious the first time they met. Hiei's red eyes widened and held a hand out to her. She took his hand and he pulled her into the tree.
 
“Is it really you?” Kagome asked.
 
“Who are you?” Hiei asked.
 
“It's me Kagome the Miko, your adoptive mother,” Kagome explained in confusion. She wondered that he forgot her with time.
 
Reaching out he touched her temple and began to scan her mind. Kagome winced at the migraine he was going to leave. While he was scanning, Kagome picked up fragments of herself in his mind. She knew he remembered her; he was just making sure that it was the real Kagome.
 
“Mother?” Hiei asked in partial shock.
 
“My little shadow,” Kagome happily squealed as she pulled him into a hug.
 
Hiei sat there frozen in her embrace. He thought she vanished forever when she jumped down that well. He had never witnessed her travel before, he had only heard of her traveling from the others.
 
“When did you become psychic?” Kagome suddenly asked as she stared at him.
 
“There's been some changes,” Hiei whispered as he looked out for the others.
 
“I'll say…you got taller and cuter,” Kagome observed.
 
“I'm not cute,” Hiei sternly said.
 
“What is it with youkai? You say there cute and you get `I'm not cute', `My ears aren't cute', or `feh',” Kagome wondered as she started to ramble.
 
“Where are you at?” Hiei asked her.
 
“In a tree,” Kagome laughed as his eye twitched, “I'm going to be meeting Youko in a day.”
 
“It's been forever,” Hiei whispered as he hugged her.
 
Kagome smiled and embraced him. She ran her fingers through his gravity defying locks as she began to hum. After half of her lunchtime was gone, he reluctantly lowered her to the ground. Kagome ate her lunch and quickly climbed back into the tree with him. He sat there in the tree and leaned his head on her shoulder; it was very rare that he ever got to relax.
 
 
 
 
Hiei listened to her hum and began to close his eyes. Tapping his foot in the air he paused when her humming stop. Opening his eyes, he watched in confusion as her human illusion flickered. He followed her gaze and his eyes narrowed immediately. Red hair, a jean jacket with black jeans and white shirt. Hiei knew it was too late to pull his mother into the tree with him. All that hate for the emerald-eyed fox was resurfacing after years of calm control.
 
Suiichi walked over to the lunch table and Kagome looked up at him calmly. Hiei could feel it radiating from her ki; she wanted to blush. Growling, Kagome looked up into the tree and then back at Suiichi. Suiichi kept a safe distance and bowed his head when he came up to Kagome.
 
“May I help you?” Kagome cautiously asked.
 
“Have you by chance seen a Yusuke Urameshi around?” Suiichi politely asked.
 
“He might be with Keiko on the roof,” Kagome suggested. Suiichi pretended to look a bit troubled and Hiei softly growled again.
 
“What's wrong?” Kagome inquired, hearing her son's soft growls.
 
“I don't believe they'll let me on the roof…do you mind if I wait for them here?” Suiichi suggested as he smiled at her.
 
“Go ahead,” Kagome said as she motioned to the empty bench.
 
“By the way, I'm Suiichi Minamino,” Suiichi introduced.
 
“Kagome Higurashi,” Kagome stated with a smile.
 
Suiichi nodded and seemed to pause as he thought about her name. It seemed familiar to him; this woman seemed too familiar for it to be coincidence. He briefly wondered if she was part of his fan club. A snort from the tree wrecked that idea as he gazed into the tree.
 
“So Suiichi, what school do you attend?” Kagome quickly asked.
 
`She's trying to take my attention away from the tree, does she know Hiei's there,' Suiichi pondered with a smirk.
 
“I'm a third year at Meiou High School,” Suiichi answered.
 
“I have a few friends that go there,” Kagome said.
 
“How come you don't attend there, you seem like a bright girl?” Suiichi asked.
 
“Too many absences,” Kagome quickly explained.
 
“So…who do you know?” Suiichi asked feeling rude to ask why she was absent so much.
 
“Houjou, Ayumi, and Eri…but I suppose you'd need last names,” Kagome briefly thought.
 
“I've met Houjou, he's running for class president already,” Suiichi informed.
 
“Really,” Kagome sighed as she remembered Houjou's remedies for her various illnesses. Hiei laughed at Kagome's thoughts and she thought about him in a tutu. The growling was low and there. Kagome snickered and began to grin like a Cheshire cat.
 
“You wouldn't happen to know Hiei?” Suiichi decided to ask.
 
`Does he know you?' Kagome sent to Hiei.
 
`Yes, he's a coworker,' Hiei sent back.
 
“What type of work do you two do?” Kagome asked Suiichi. Suiichi's eyes narrowed briefly before his mind put out thousands of question.
 
“We're detectives,” Suiichi answered. “How do you know him?”
 
“We're old friends,” Kagome vaguely answered.
 
Suiichi went to ask something but the bell chimed. Kagome stood up and bowed to him with a `nice meeting you.' He watched her run off as his emerald eyes tinted gold and went back to normal. Turning his gaze back to the tree, he found that Hiei had vanished.
 
Kagome was finally at her last class of the day, Gym. She was thankful that her shorts were a bit longer then her last schools. Turning her attention to the teacher her eyes widened in fear. He announced that they would be doing archery. The teacher asked if some students knew the basics and Kagome raised her hand. No else had raised there hand, her face went pink. The teacher called her up and handed her a bow.
 
“Ms. Higurashi, can you tell me what of bow this is?” The teacher asked.
 
“This is a long bow, also known as a Yumi,” Kagome answered.
 
“What is this called?” He asked as he held out an arrow.
 
“It is a ya,” Kagome answered trying to remain calm.
 
The teacher handed her the ya and Kagome noched the ya.
 
“Would you like a glove?” The teacher asked.
 
“No thank you Wantanbe-sensei,” Kagome respectfully declined.
 
“Can you demonstrate how to shoot?” Wantanbe asked.
 
Kagome nodded and pulled the ya back and began to concentrate on the target. Pulling back her Miko ki, she forced herself to shoot a regular ya. Releasing the ya it traveled and hit the bull's eye. Kagome smiled in victory and turned to find the teacher handing another ya. He told her shoot again and she did. Kagome fired again and split the first arrow. He pulled another ya from the quiver and Kagome scowled. Her anger caused the ya to turn into a very weak Hamaya. Releasing the Hamaya the ki melted the first two arrows and they fell to the ground. The target smoked as Kagome thought `oh no.'
 
“Ms. Higurashi seems to be a pro,” the sensei commented.
 
“Thank you Wantanbe-sama,” Kagome thanked.
 
“Would you mind helping the others?” He asked.
 
“No sir,” Kagome replied.
 
“Could you keep an eye on Yusuke and Kuwabara for me?” Wantanbe asked. Kagome nodded and shivered before she walked to the said two.
 
“I thought you were skipping class,” Kagome stated as she held out the ya to Kuwabara.
 
“Keiko caught me,” Yusuke grumbled.
 
“How did you end up in second year gym?” Kuwabara asked.
 
“I tested out of a lot of the basics,” Kagome answered.
 
“Why's your archery so good?” Yusuke asked.
 
“I live at a shrine,” Kagome quickly answered.
 
“So you a Miko or something?” Yusuke joked.
 
“I'm the temple Miko,” Kagome defended.
 
“That sucks,” Kuwabara muttered as he pulled the ya back. Kagome reached out and turned the arrow the right way.
 
Kuwabara released the ya and it landed fifteen feet away. Kagome sighed and rolled her eyes. It was going to be a long class. Yusuke took a ya out and managed to get it stuck in the ground next to Kuwabara's.
 
The bell chimed and Kagome hummed as she ran out of the school. It would be a long time till she came back. Sighing she walked the rest of her way to shrine without turning back. This was part of her life, having to give up her normal life for the good of the future and past. She watched the shadows of random buses and cars pass her. Sighing again she smiled and looked ahead. The past was going to be interesting for the next two weeks.
 
`I wonder if we'll be forced to fight,' Kagome thought.