Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / Shaman King Fan Fiction ❯ The Shaman Files ❯ Priests's Advocate ( Prologue )

[ A - All Readers ]
Prelude - Priest's Advocate
===========================
Today was a day like any other at the check point of the afterlife. Hundreds of spirits lined up outside the courtroom of the Great King Emma waiting for sentence to be passed. For the most part they hoped to move onto heaven, though that lingering fear of going to hell was heavy in the pit of each of their corporal stomachs. So it was with a sence of fear that they'd present themselves before the judge of the dead. Ogres and spirit guides ran all over the many offices of the court house, the case and life of each spirit that passed through here must be carefully recorded and documented. No room for mischief here.
Koemma, the son of the Great King Emma was on duty today. He leaned back in his judge's chair, sitting on a dictionary to be able to see over the top of the bench. Koemma always felt more comfortable in his baby form, sucking away on his passifier wich gave him much needed comfort and calm, especially when dealing with some of the less savoury spirits. George Saotome, Koemma's personal assistant, placed a binder before him, containing the papers needed for the next case. The name on the front of the binder read, Kyo Tendo.
Koemma read the name a second time. Something about it seemed familiar. Well, no matter, if he couldn't remember it obviously meant it wasn't important. "All rise for the hearing of Kyo Tendo. Died of natural causes at the age of 97. He lead the life of Shintoist priest." Koemma knocked on the bench with his tiny mallet. The spirit of a kindly looking old man entered the court room, and floated over to stand before the bench. He had a kind face, but his eyes were heavy, as if he's been carrying a burden. Such is to be expected though when you lead the life of a priest. Still, if he was a good man he'd get to go to heaven.
The young judge opened the binder and began reviewing the old man's case. Attended school, bla bla, never married, bla bla, aided a shaman, bla bla, opened his temple in memory of his friend, bla bla, sealed away a band of evil demons known as the Harbringers, bla bla bla, devoted the rest of his life to keeping them sealed. Koemma closed the binder. "Hmm, it seems you've devoted your life to a most noble cause. Indeed I remember the Harbringers, the last time they walked the earth our offices were swamped with an overload of dead people from the planet earth." Koemma stamped the sront of the binder with the seal of aproval. "Heaven it is, Kyo."
The spirit smiled at Koemma. "Oh thank you, sir. My only regret in life is I never did find anyone willing to take over the job of keeping those nasty demons sealed away."
Koemma blinked twice, then blinked again. "....what do you mean?"
"Oh you know. Kids these days." The old spirit rubbed the back of his head, laughing. "No one wants to devote their lives to living in an old temple, making sure those demons never escape. Who can blame them? Hell, if I can go back a couple of decades I might have decided to go to the beach, pick up some babes."
Koemma just stared at the old man as if he'd grown a second head. "........and the Harbringers?"
Kyo blinked. "I imagine their free and on the rampage even as we speak." The courtroom went silent as everyone stared at the old man. The only sound that of George's pen being dropped on the floor. "May I please go to heaven now?"
The court room door opened and an ogre stuck his head in. "Koemma! We might have to put in some over time tonight, a large amount of spirits is coming in from earth. Your father wants their cases reviewed ASAP. Something about harp ringers!" The ogre closed the door.
"May I go to heaven now?"
Koemma started slamming his head against the bench. "You stupid, senile, worthless old man! Do you realise what you've done?!"
"Does this mean I don't get to go to heaven?"
"GEORGE!"
George jumped at Koemma's shout. "Yes sir?!"
"Get the interns cracking on filing the paperwork! I'll need every experienced ogre on this case! Call in the spirit guides who are off duty and offer them double their normal sallary to get on the job! Put on a pot of coffee to brew! Extra strong! And be quick about it!"
George saluted. "Yes sir!"
The old man shook his head. "Always wanted to go to heaven..."
Koemma fumed. "And get him out of here! Put him on a bus to heaven! Anything! Just make him shutup! AND GET ME BOTAN! WE NEED YUUSUKE!"
George tripped over his own feet, trying to get everything Koemma asked for together. "Y-Yes sir!" He turned to a group of gawking ogres. "You heard him! Find Botan! This is an emergency!"