Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ A Hidden Life ❯ New Conflicts Arise ( Chapter 4 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: *sigh* I do not own YYH….blah blah blah… yeah okay chapter 4!

Chapter 4: New Conflicts Arise

Hiei and Ayame were quiet for awhile, but Hiei's curiosity took over.

"Why?"

Ayame looked at him curiously but then realized what he was trying to ask.

She shrugged. "Because I felt like it. And besides how could I not help a poor, defenseless, and beat up youkai like you?" She added in a teasing tone.

"Hn." He said glaring at her, then changed the subject. "Are you going to tell Kurama?"

"No."

Hiei looked at her.

"If he has been alive this whole time and hasn't told me about it… well… I don't think he wants me to know. So I'll respect his wishes and keep it that way."

"Baka."

"Oi, shorty, didn't I just say that you have no reason to talk, unless you've told Yukina about you being her brother already." And when Hiei gave her a surprised look, she smirked. "I have my ways of finding things out."

"Hn." Was all he said before flitting back inside with Ayame following.

~*~

"She killed Hiroke, Sir." A small alligator demon said, wondering nervously how his boss, the leader of the alligator youkai faction, was going to take the news.

Shengo growled. "Who does this bitch think she is? She just lost her life and the lives of her friends and family."

"Actually, Sir, Ayame doesn't have any friends or family." The little alligator youkai informed.

"She is a devious one; she was planning this the whole time. Oh well, we can still take her life."

~*~

"So, you decided to stay, huh?" Yusuke said when Ayame entered the room a few moments after Hiei.

"Just until my wounds get a little better, but then I'm leaving." Ayame answered, then said, "No one ever answered my question on why you guys are helping me. And Hiei's answer doesn't count."

"Yeah, why are we helping her?" Kuwabara asked.

"Because she saved Botan." Kurama said, answering both questions at the same time.

Ayame just looked at him oddly. But I had said that I wanted to kill them. How would they know I wouldn't act on what I said? Then Kurama spoke up.

"Would you mind explaining why you're here, and how you know that youkai that kidnapped Botan?"

Ayame wanted to yell at him, It's none of your business! If you didn't want to be in my life back then, then I don't want you knowing about my life now!

"The youkai is no one. And as for why I'm here, it doesn't matter because I'll be gone soon." Ayame said calmly, contradicting the way she felt.

Kurama sighed, realizing that they were not going to find anything out about Ayame any time soon.

Then Kuwabara spoke up, "Oi, why did you faint when you found out Kurama was a Youko?"

Everyone's eyes widened, they had forgotten about that, except Hiei and Ayame. And they looked questioningly at her.

"I did not faint." She said trying to get off the subject.

"Well you almost did." Yusuke argued. "And stop trying to switch the subject; why'd you almost faint?"

"Leave her alone." Hiei said, with a subtle demand.

"Oi, shrimp! How are you such good friends with her? She your girlfriend or something?"

Hiei just glared at him, while Ayame was looking at Hiei shocked.

"Whoa Hiei, seems you found yourself some self control during these last years too." Ayame said, then continued when Hiei gave her a questioning look. "I mean, that guy - what was his name again?… Kuwa..bara? - he just insulted you… and he's still alive."

Kurama chuckled. "Yes, Hiei has become a little bit more tolerant of ningens."

"Hn."

Ayame sighed, gaining everyone's attention. I'd better say something to answer one of their questions or else they won't ever stop bothering me. "I was just shocked that's all. Youko Kurama was, I mean is very well known, and was thought to be dead. And now that I know he's alive… it's just… surprising.

Everyone seemed to accept the lie, except for Hiei who snorted.

~*~ A Few Days Later ~*~

Damn this human body, it heals so slowly. Ayame thought while getting ready to leave. Her wounds had healed a little but they were still sore, and she couldn't turn back into her Youko form because Kurama would be able to tell who she was.

I just hope I can get out of here before the Reikai Tantai gets back.

Yusuke, Kuwabara, and Yukina had gone into town to meet Keiko and run a few errands. Kurama left because he had been called to go somewhere, and Hiei, having no reason to stay, also left.

Ayame finished redressing her wound, then left the temple grounds, and started to look for a portal to the Makai.

~*~

At the same time Kurama was just leaving his house, heading for the Makai, and remembering what Koenma had told him.

~*~Flashback~*~

"Kurama, you are familiar with the alligator faction in the Makai, right?" When Kurama nodded the young god continued. "Well they've been causing some trouble with other youkai in the Makai, especially Youkos."

Kurama was surprised. Not many youkai would be brave enough to take on many kitsune, especially Youkos, because alligator youkai were known to be very easily tricked. Why would they have reason to harm them? We've been at peace for quite awhile now.

"You're not obligated to do anything if you don't want to. I just figured you might want to know since you are a Youko also." Koenma explained.

"Arigato, Koenma-sama." And with that Kurama had left.

~*~ End Flashback~*~

Kurama felt a familiar youki nearby.

"Hello, Hiei."

Hiei was silent then asked, "Where are you going?"

"I have to go to the Makai for a little while to fix some old ties."

Hiei was again quiet, but continued to walk with Kurama.

"Would you like to accompany me, Hiei?" Kurama asked.

"Hn." Was all he said but he didn't leave.

~*~

Ayame found a portal behind a tree in a nearby park and climbed through.

Upon reaching the Makai she could sense the alligators youki and knew that they had been looking for her, and were probably very angry. So be it, I don't have anything to live for anyway. I have no one. And the one person that I do care about doesn't care about me.

~*~

"Why are you going back?" Hiei asked, showing the only person he trusted a little bit more emotion.

"Do you know about the Alligator Faction?"

"Hai."

"Well along time ago, they and Youkos were enemies. Then, someone, I was told, negotiated with the Faction's leader and made peace agreements, though I'm not sure what the terms were."

Hiei snorted. "You weren't part of it? You know so much yet you don't know part of your own history?"

Kurama chuckled. "I suppose not. I had left my group earlier and became… busy doing other things."

"Like stealing ancient artifacts and causing trouble whenever you heard a rumor, ne?"

Kurama just looked at him and smirked.

"Anyway, somehow one of the terms of the pact must've been broken because the Faction is starting to fight against the Youkos again, but they aren't killing them… yet. They're probably waiting to see if the person that broke it will come back."

"What will happen?" Hiei asked curiously.

"Well, if the person comes back the Faction will probably kill him. But if he doesn't come back… well, I'm not sure. I suppose they might start fighting against the Youkos for real."

"But Youkos would be able to defeat the Alligator Faction easily."

Kurama sighed. "That's where it gets complicated. It'd be easier if I just give you an example: when the faction makes a pact with someone they would link it to other pacts that they make. If someone made a pact with them, they would then make another pact with someone else saying that they would kill the first person if he broke the pact. (A/N: sorry it's hard for me to explain too) So if the Youko did indeed break the pact then we won't have just the Faction against us, but other more powerful youkai."

"But Kurama, who would possibly trust them? They might be the ones that break the pact, it is Makai after all."

"Yes, that's true. But the Alligator Faction are known to keep their word. They aren't very strong; they just have a lot of allies, so if they were to break a promise then everyone would be against them."

Hiei remained silent, thinking about what Kurama had just told him. Then, they reached the portal in the park right behind a tree.

Kurama turned to Hiei. "Are you coming?"

"Of course."

A/N: Well how'd you like it? Please review!

~Ayame