Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ A Hidden Life ❯ Epilogue ( Chapter 6 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

~Standard Disclaimer~

Chapter 6: Epilogue

~*~

Ayame, still in her Youko form, started walking back towards Hiei and Kurama while Shengo was killed by his associates. But, apparently, Ayame turned her back on Shengo too soon; a dagger had been embedded in her stomach, causing her old wound to open once again. She turned around to see Shengo smirk before he cried in pain as he fell lifeless to the ground because of an acid that a youkai had just covered him with.

Ayame was beginning to lose consciousness. "I really need to stop getting stabbed through the stomach." She said weakly, before fainting on the ground.

"Hn. Why is it we always end up carrying someone back after we go on missions?" Asked Hiei to no one in particular.

Kurama sighed. "We should start heading back."

~*~

Ayame started to gain consciousness and finally opened her eyes. "Well doesn't this seem familiar." She mumbled to herself. She then tried to sit up, but a jolt of pain shot through her. Damn, I'm even wounded in the same place.

"That probably wasn't the best thing you could have done." Came a voice from the other side of the room.

What the hell is this? De ja vu? Am I going crazy or something? She looked over and, sure enough, there was Kurama looking exactly like he had the first time she had woken up in that bed.

"Uh… No kidding?"

Kurama chuckled. "Not as confident as before I see."

Ayame mentally sighed. "No I guess not, due to the fact that I was questioning my sanity." Well, at least I know I haven't lost it yet.

Kurama then became serious. "Daijabu ka?"

"Hai, daijabu. It's only a little wound, Kurama. I'll be fine.

"Of course."

They were silent for a little while.

Should I ask him? Ask him why he never told me he was still alive? I should, but… do I really want to know the answer? I don't have any other family; I don't want to be rejected by the only family I have left. Perhaps I should leave as soon as I can, or mayb --.

"Gomen."

Ayame was startled out of her thoughts when Kurama finally spoke. "What?"

"Gomen. I didn't know my absence would make you feel this way." He said in a distressed voice.

"Well, you didn't care then. So, why care now?" She mumbled to herself. But unfortunately Kurama heard it.

He had pain clearly written across his face. "Gomen." He repeated again, and got up to leave the room.

Soon after he left, well more like about 10 seconds after he left, Hiei came in. And the little fire demon didn't look very happy.

"Hiei, please, come in." Ayame said sarcastically.

Hiei glared at her.

"Geeze, what's your problem?" She asked irritated.

"You're the one with the problem." He said harshly.

"Uh huh. And, what, may I ask, is my problem?"

"You don't even realize it, do you?" He asked incredulously.

She just gave him a blank stare, trying to feign confusion. I really don't think it's his place to butt into between something that has nothing to do with him.

"Don't give me that. You know perfectly well what I'm talking about."

"So?"

"Don't you realize that Kurama could have been suffering also? That maybe he really does feel guilty about leaving you?" He asked almost desperately.

What the… Hiei showing that much emotion…hm… I'm gonna have to ask him about that later.

"Yeah, Hiei. Actually, I did realize that." She said matter-of-factly.

"Hn. And you're not going to even give him a chance?" He accused.

"Nani?! What are you talking about? All he has to do is tell me! That's it!" She yelled.

Kurama then came running into the bedroom because he had heard the shouting. Hiei was back to wearing his stoic expression.

"What's going on?" He asked. "Hiei, what are you doing? Ayame needs to rest."

"Hn." Was all he said before flitting out of the room.

The two of them stared at where Hiei was once standing, not knowing what to say to each other.

What Hiei said was true. I know Kurama must have been going through some pretty harsh stuff. I mean not being able to do everything you want, when you want. And having to be around ningens all the time… And Hiei had, more or less, said that Kurama felt guilty. Ayame then turned to Kurama and realized that he had been looking at her. They made eye contact, but instead of turning away Ayame tried to study what Kurama was feeling. She saw pain, sorrow… but then it seemed as though Kurama was asking her to forgive him; pleading with her to at least accept his apology.

~*~

Kurama was trying to figure out Ayame's thoughts by studying her eyes, but she was very good at hiding her feelings. If she will at least forgive me, I will be grateful, even if she never speaks to me again. But if she asks my why I left before… I'm afraid I won't be able to give her an answer she will want to hear. I had left because I was selfish. I wanted to go and do what I wanted; stealing precious and rare items from all around the Makai. I didn't want people like her getting in my way, so I left. But now, it's not like that; I've learned. I now realize what I had back then… what I had left behind. But now I know that what I did was wrong, and I want to prove to her that I can be the brother that she deserves. But how?

He remembered one time, when they had both been very young. Ayame was practically still a baby and was still learning how to talk properly.

~Flashback~

"… 7, 8, 9, 10! Ready or not here I come!" A little Youko Kurama screamed to his now hiding sister.

They were playing the game `Hide and Go Seek.' It was a game that, they were told, the children from the Ningenkai played. But it was a game more suited for the Makai because that's what youkai loved the most: the chase.

Kurama could easily find his sister, for his senses were a lot stronger than hers. But he still pretended to not know where she was. Ayame then tried to run to the base, which was their family den. Kurama felt that it was Ayame's turn to win one so he pretended to be too tired and slowed down, allowing Ayame to reach the den first.

"I win, Kama!" Ayame said, addressing Kurama with her own nickname since she still had a hard time pronouncing longer words.

Kurama laughed. "Yup, you win Ayame! Good job!" He said through his laughter. He loved making his sister happy.

~End Flashback~

But a few years later was when Kurama started getting into new hobbies; he wanted to do more and get away from everything he was used too. So he did.

A few decades after he had left, he had tried to search for his sister because he had heard that his parents were killed. No doubt by the Alligator Faction before the treaty was signed. So he tried to find her, though he didn't put to much effort into it. He had assumed that she had also been killed. He was, of course saddened by it but soon left it alone and continued making a name for himself.

I don't now what I had been thinking. I was so happy with my family. But I suppose I don't remember all the Youko's feelings from that long ago. Kurama then refocused his eyes on his sister that had grown up so much without him there to witness it, only to realize that she was smiling at him. And not just a small smile, but a full beaming smile. What?

He looked at Ayame, silently asking her what she was smiling about.

"Well, Kama, looks like you found me. Though, I don't think you were trying very hard." Ayame said jokingly.

Kurama couldn't believe he was hearing this. She was going to forgive him just like that? "You forgive me?"

Ayame laughed. "Well, it's a little late to be asking me that! Now there's nothing to be forgiven."

Kurama smiled, and wrapped his arms around his sister, giving her a hug.

But, then, Ayame pulled away. "Now, in a few years, should I expect you to have left again to go and do more exciting things than playing `Hide and Go Seek' with your only sister?" She asked, with a serious expression. But from the glint in her eyes, Kurama knew she was joking.

He groaned. "I'm never going to live it down am I?"

Ayame feigned thoughtfulness. "Hmm… nah, I don't think so."

Kurama gave a happy sigh.

"We should probably join the others." Ayame said.

Kurama nodded. Everything's perfect now.

~*~

Kurama and Ayame walked into the main room just in time to hear the end of Hiei's sentence.

"-you baka ningen."

"Oi, shrimp! What did you say?!" Kuwabara was ready to attack Hiei when Kurama spoke up.

"Kuwabara, Yusuke, this," he said gesturing towards Ayame, "is my sister Ayame."

"What? I thought her name was Aya!" Kuwabara said, confused.

"Right… it's not like I could have lied about that or anything…" Ayame said sarcastically.

"So, you're a youko like Kurama?" Yusuke asked.

"Yeah." Ayame said, exasperated. Did Kurama not just say I was his sister?

Kurama, realizing Ayame's frustration, chuckled, while covering his mouth with his hand.

Ayame just glared at him.

"You don't need to get all frustrated." Yusuke stated. "I mean, it's not like you're in your Youko form. So how could we know for sure?"

Ayame blinked at him then looked down at herself; she wasn't in her Youko form, just like Yusuke had said. She had probably changed into her human form while she was unconscious.

"Oi, Kurama," Kuwabara said, gaining everyone's attention, "why didn't you speak to Hiei when you told us that Ayame was your sister? I know he's a jerk and all, but isn't he your friend?"

"Of course he's my friend, Kuwabara," Kurama started, "but I have realized that Hiei had already known about it. Am I correct Hiei?"

"Hn." Hiei said, giving his usual one syllable answer, but Kurama knew that he had been right.

~*~

Everyone continued to talk well into the night. Ayame learned more and more about the Reikai Tantei, not to mention her brother. She heard many stories and cases that they had gone on; and maybe sometime she would be able to help them out.

~*~OWARI~*~

Ayume: So? What did you think of it?

Yusuke: [Happily] You put me in this one!

Ayume: [matter-of-factly] yeah only so I wouldn't have to include you as much in the beginning of the sequel.

Kurama: [sensing danger] Uh, what will the sequel be about, Ayume?

Ayume: [letting go of Yusuke's shirt and bringing fist down] Oh! It's gonna be about you and Hiei, and Ayame and another OC.

Kurama: [excited] Really? What's gonna happen between Hiei and I?

Ayume: Oh you know… the usual, you two realize you have feeling for each other and need a little push in the right direction kind of thing. But don't get to excited cuz Ayame is gonna fall in love too. You guys are going to help each other realize your feelings and what not.

Kurama: [even more excited] I can't wait! Please write it soon!!!!'

Hiei: Calm down, kitsune.

Kurama: [surprised] Hiei! Where'd you come from? Oh well it doesn't matter. [gives Hiei a hug]

Hiei: [sweat drops]

Kuwabara: [looking at everyone like they've gone insane][to the reader's] uh…please review???