Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ A Kuwabara Love Story ❯ It's a Great Day to be Alive ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
A Kuwabara love story-Chapter 3

Written by: Jesscheaux

Disclaimer: I did not invent, nor do I own Yu Yu Hakusho, or any of the characters, except for Sayo Azuke, whom I created.

Author's notes: The girl has been revealed as Sayo Azuke (pronounced: "Sai-oh Uh-zoo-kay"), a fellow student at Kazuma's school, and the descendent of a samurai. Will Kuwabara leave her alone now that he knows the truth? And what did Koenma tell Botan to do?

For those of you wondering, Sayo is NOT supposed to be me! She is very loosely based on me in personality and also has green eyes like me, but that's about all folks! I'm trying to bring out different sides of her personality too, making her seem more realistic as a character. I also think Kuwabara should be with someone who compliments his personality more, someone tougher, and thus I created Sayo! Again, remember that this was written last Spring.
________________________________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________

Yusuke Urameshi was strolling down the street, hands in his pockets, whistling and thinking about how good it was to be alive. He remembered that rush of adrenaline when he finally had reclaimed his body.

(Man! You just never really appreciate being alive until you've been dead.) the teenager thought for about the millionth time since he had been revived. It had been months now, but Yusuke had a feeling it would never go away and he'd never take his life for granted again.

He was on his way to meet Keiko at the movie theater. She insisted that they do something together at least once a week outside of school.

(As if seeing her at school everyday isn't enough! Dumb girl, trying to rule my life!) But then he thought about how it must've felt for her to see him dead and then revived again...

(I guess she's trying not to take me for granted anymore too...) He blushed slightly. He had a crush on Keiko ever since they were children. (And now...it's like we're together. I wonder how long it will last.)

Yusuke was a young boy, but even he knew real feelings when he experienced them. There was something about Keiko, something that made her different from everyone else. He couldn't wait to see what the future would bring for them together. He smiled and kept on walking until he saw something very strange indeed.

(Huh? It's Kuwabara! And he's talking to someone.) Yusuke picked up his pace until his friend and the stranger came into a clearer view.

"What is that fool doing..." the Spirit Detective trailed off and he stopped short when he saw what was going on:

Kuwabara and a young woman of about the same age were sitting across from each other on the side of the street, Kuwabara looked intrigued and Yusuke wondered...(I thought he liked Yukina! What is going on here?! Wait a minute, I know that girl...that's Sayo Azuke!)

"KUWABARA!!!!!!" yelled Yusuke as his stroll turned into a run at that moment.

Kuwabara's head whipped to the side as the all-too-familiar voice of his former adversary and now comrade filled his ears.

"Urameshi?!"

"Yeah, what the hell are you doing, man!" he demanded as he stormed up to them.

"None of your business, punk. Sayo and I here were just discussing some stuff." the red-haired boy folded his arms across his chest.

"Do you know who she is, you idiot?!" Yusuke demanded.

Sayo looked up at him just then, "Uh, hello? I'm still here you know."

Yusuke rolled his eyes, "Yeah, unfortunately."

"Shut up, Urameshi! You don't know anything about her!"

"Oh? You think so, do you?!"

"Yeah!"

"I know that she's a good-for-nothing punk reject! That's what I know!"

Sayo stood up just then. "I do not have to take this any longer. You people obviously have no respect for anyone who is different than you. Goodbye, Kazuma." she said solemnly and in a flash she was gone.

Kuwabara's eyes lit up with hate for Yusuke at that moment. "NOW WHAT DID YOU HAVE TO DO THAT FOR, URAMESHI!!!" he picked Yuske up by the collar of his green shirt.

"AAGH! It was for your own, GOOD!" Yusuke yelled back as he kicked Kuwabara in the chest, knocking him free of the taller boy's grasp.

"What do you know about my own good, you selfish, arrogant, MORON?!"

"You numbskull, that was Sayo Azuke, you don't need to get yourself involved with someone like her. She's the toughest girl in school, a samurai wanna-be, and a rebel to boot! Don't drag your name through the mud by associating with her, dimwit!"

"Huh! Since when do you care about MY name, Urameshi! I'll show you the what for!" Kuwabara lunged himself at Yusuke and the two began beating the heck out of each other in an all-out, rolling, tumbling, rumbling, old-fashioned fist fight.

From the outskirt of the tempest there began a steady, 'tap, tap, tap, tap' noise. Yusuke's head popped out of the rumble and he saw one sight he feared more than anything: An angry Keiko.

"YUSUKE URAMESHI!" the loud-spoken brunette screamed out at that very moment. "How DARE you do this to me! Besides being 10 minutes late for our date, you have to go and start a fight, and with your BEST FRIEND no less!"

Kuwabara's head popped out just then but he and Yusuke's limbs could still be seen beating on the other's.

"He's not my best friend!"

"Ha! No matter how much you deny it, you know I'mmm riiiighhhhttt." she said in a sing-song tone.

"Hmmph!" the boys both said in unison as the stopped fighting and stood 5 feet away, backs to each other and arms folded.

"He started it." Kuwabara said, almost like a little kid.

"DID NOT! I was just trying to save you from embarassment!" Yusuke retorted.

"HA! Why would I be embarrassed?"

"BECAUSE...." he hissed, "Don't you know about her reputation?"

"No..Inform me."

"FINE! IDIOT!"

Keiko cleared her throat. "Yuusuuukkee you'd better be niiiiicerrr."

"Uh, I mean fine yes I will 'inform you' Well, ya see, Sayo has beaten up just about every guy in school..."

Kuwabara quirked an eyebrow and a spark of amusement lit his eye. "Oh? Does that include YOU Urameshi?"

A dark flush covered Yusuke's cheeks as he turned his head to the side and barely muttered out: "Yes.."

"AAAAAH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!! HA HA HA!!! URAMESHI GOT BEAT BY A GIIIIRL, URAMESHI GOT BEAT BY A GIIIRLLL!!!"

"Shut UP YOU MORON! That was a loooong time ago, BEFORE I was a Spirit Detective! Anyway, now you see why I did what I did, so there!"

"Yeah...well Urameshi, to tell the truth, she DID try to beat me up."

"Hmmph! And you let her I'll bet with that stupid code of honor."

"I didn't want to fight her! But she kept pushing and she cut my arm, see?!" He held out his injured arm.

"Barely a scratch, I don't see how YOU got off without getting beaten to a pulp, You know I'm stronger than you!"

"Heh...so you think. Go ask Koenma what he thinks of us now." Kuwabara said with a wink.

"WHAT?! WHY I OUGHTA!!!!" Yusuke turned to lunge at Kuwabara again when Keiko put a hand on his shoulder.

He calmed down instantly. "Phhhhst. Whatever, Kuwabara you big liar."

"Believe what you want to, Urameshi."

Yusuke wanted to find out more about why Kuwabara was 'hanging out' with Sayo so he continued:

"So...she jumped you and now all of a sudden you're sitting down for a friendly chat? Is that right?!" Yusuke demanded.

"Well, uh no...it's not like that exactly." he answered as he placed a hand behind his head.

"Well, what then!"

"When she was fighting me...she...forced me to use...the spirit sword..." he trailed off his voice getting really low at the end.

You could almost see Yusuke's blood boil at that moment. "YOU IDIOT!!! YOU ACTUALLY USED THE SPIRIT SWORD IN FRONT OF HER?!!! HOW STUPID ARE YOU!"

"No no! Wait Urameshi, there's more!"

"THIS BETTER BE GOOD!"

"Well, after she saw my Spirit Sword, she wasn't even surprised or anything! She just sheathed her sword and said: 'So, it is true.' Then she told me that she had seen me fight and she even knew about the Dark Tournament! She knew EVERYTHING, Urameshi!"

"WHAT?! And you didn't tell her? She just KNEW?"

Kuwabara nodded slowly.

"What else did she tell you?"

"She told me she knew how to use spirit energy."

"Ugh...Koenma isn't going to like this...."

Or so Yusuke thought.



* * *



"Now, where can I find her..." Botan said to herself as she flew over the city on her oar, wearing her traditional pink japanese garb. The wind whipped through her cerulean hair as she reached out her supernatural senses for someone with a high spirit energy.

On the far side of town, the ferry girl picked up a reading. She knew it wasn't Kuwabara or Yuske, because they had their own distinctive energy signal. This one had to be her. (Funny, it's almost as high as Yusuke's) she thought as she quirked and eyebrow and then willed her oar to soar faster.

After a few more minutes of travel, she reached the area that the energy reading was coming from. With a 'swoosh', she finally reached the ground again outside of a small cottage in the more rural part of the community. It was small, with a few cats lounging on the porch and several pink flower bushes adorning the sides of the stone walkway.

"Mrow...puuurrr" one of the cats rubbed up against Botan's leg as she walked silently up the path. She smiled and leaned down to pet the small animal. "What a sweet kitty."

Botan reached the porch and walked up the three wooden steps then reached out her curled fist to knock on the white-washed door.

"Looking for someone?" came a voice from behind her and Botan let out a small gasp.

She turned slowly to see a young girl. "As a matter of fact, yes. Can you tell me where I can find a Sayo Azuke?"

The girl smirked and put one hand on her hip. "You just found her."

"Oh! So you're Sayo?"

"Indeed I am, and you are?"

"My name is Botan, and I came here on a trip straight from the Spirit World, my Lord Koenma told me to seek you out."

Sayo's face filled with mirth as she remembered seeing Koenma in one of Kuwabara's visions. "The toddler?"

"What? You know Koenma?"

"Not exactly..."

Botan looked up, "Oh that's right! Koenma said that you could see things that our spirit team was doing, I find that pretty amazing. Yusuke and Kuwabara were supposed to be the only humans with spirit energy like that. I wonder why you didn't see me."

"Botan, Botan..." Sayo let the name roll over her tongue until the familiarity hit her, "The ferry girl! Ah, I'm getting weaker, I need to train my mind more."

"Yep, here's my oar." she held the long object out.

"Heh. So are you a fighter too?"

"No, I'm more of a 'grim reaper'." Botan said with a wink.

"Oh my..." Sayo looked taken aback for a second, "Does that mean?"

"No no no! It's nothing like that, I assure you. I'm here to recruit you, in fact. My lord Koenma wasn't about to let the chance of having another human with incredible Spirit power on his team be passed up." Botan held out her hand in a welcoming guesture. "Sayo Azuke, Welcome to Team Urameshi."

Sayo returned the handshake, looking slightly disoriented, "Thanks...I think.."

CONTINUED NEXT TIME!
________________________________________________________________________ __________________________________________________
Was Botan IC? And don't you just love it when Yusuke and Kuwabara fight! :) Find out what's going to happen next time and see if they'll ever start training for the Dark Tournament!

Be Kind, Review ^-^