Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ After the Fall ❯ A Truth Long Hidden ( Chapter 30 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Another update for my loyal readers of which I know there are many but most of whom are voiceless to me. For I have not yet heard their opinion of my work. My story is on it's last arc and there won't be many chapters after this one so if you want to give me your opinion, now would be the time. To those who were unafraid to leave me a few lines I thank you most of all. The support you have given has motivated me through the times when I didn't feel like typing anything anymore. God, that sounded kind of well, uh, wussy like, so enough with the sap, onto the story!

A/N: This is the edited version. If you want the more graphic chapter you'll find it at ff.net under my author name, JD Fielding.

Chapter 30--A Truth Long Hidden

Koenma sat quietly upon the red chair in front of his desk, his gaze fixed upon the immense paperwork in front of him. Ever since his visit with Torandai, the Reikai lord had been working nonstop. Pouring over every document from his records department, hoping to find an alternative solution to Kurama and Botan's dilemma. He had even gone so far as to send some of his ferry men out to conduct surveillance operations within each district of Reikai. Unlike their female counterparts, ferry men were fewer in number and usually wore attire similar to Koenma. And wanting to make sure they would not be so easily recognized, the Reikai lord had outfitted them with simple clothing much like what a Reikai commoner would wear. After all, if they were going to hunt down information on the book, the least he could do was make sure they blended in with the masses.

For his part, Koenma had chosen to remain at his palace, continuing the search for something, anything, to help Kurama and Botan remain together. So far, his tactic had proved unsuccessful. I can't believe after going over all these documents I haven't found one measly bit of information on that damn book! Koenma growled inwardly, scowling as he eyed the massive stacks of paperwork towering in front of his teenage form. Reaching out, he grabbed the folder closest to him and flipped it open, scanning the document intently. His eyes traveled down every vertical line of kanji methodically, making sure not to miss even the punctuation of each and every sentence. And just like all the other times before, nothing of significance was to be found. With a growl of disgust, the Reikai lord slammed the file shut. Leaning forward, he placed his elbows upon his desk and rested his face within his open palms.

He was tired.

Tired of spending hour upon hour sifting through documents, searching for some little glimmer of hope, some little loophole from which to save his ferry girl and the kitsune. He had been hopeful, even determined to succeed in his endeavor. But in the twenty plus hours he had been researching, the Reikai lord had yet to find information relating to their case. Why can't I catch a break? He wondered as he closed his eyes, a muffled sigh of irritation escaping from his throat.

"My lord?"

Koenma's eyelids fluttered open. Raising his head out of his hands, he twisted his focus to the left, a small smile tugging at his lips as he tilted his gaze upright to meet the concerned one of Ayame, his agitation fleeing his heart and mind as he looked upon her lovely countenance. "What is it Ayame?" He asked hopefully. "Have you found something of interest?"

The dark haired ferry girl studied her boss with pensive eyes, noting his wearied features.

She hated seeing him like this.

Exhausted.

Frustrated.

Troubled.

But I know why he is doing this. She countered mentally, reminding herself of their mission. They had to find something to help Botan and Kurama. Something that would absolve them of the harsh penalties the elders would surely release upon them for their forbidden relationship. And if we don't find the answer soon, all our lives will be forfeit. She thought sadly. Elder Torandai had promised to do what he could to find the book and give it to them accordingly. But Ayame couldn't hold back the tide of apprehension that filled her heart. Someone had stolen the common law book. Someone with access to the library. And that could only mean one thing. An elder knows about Kurama and Botan's relationship.

"Ayame?"

The dark haired ferry girl blinked, drawn back outside of her thoughts by Koenma's concerned voice. "Yes my lord?"

"I said did you find out anything of importance?"

"I'm afraid I have found nothing to help the situation my lord," She answered with a shake of her head, her features taking on a pained look as she asked, "And I can tell you haven't found anything either."

Koenma let out a weary sigh as he leaned back, his arms to the side as he rested his head against the cushion of his office chair. "Not a damn thing," He grumbled, closing his tired eyes once more. "Not one tiny scrap of information to help us, Ayame. Not one." He reiterated, the irritation not lost upon his assistant's ears.

Ayame bit her lip. He's trying so hard to help but nothing seems to be going our way. She thought, her gaze moving past her boss's exhausted features to the paperwork stacked upon his desk. A sudden thought came to her consciousness. A thought that made the research assistant want to kick herself for not asking sooner. Of course! Her mind cried. There was still one course of action to be taken. One last option the Reikai lord might pursue. But will he do it? Ayame wondered, shifting her now curious blue eyes back to her employer. "We could ask King Enma about the missing pages to the book in our possession?"

Koenma's eyelids snapped open, the color draining from his face as he whipped his head towards her. A wave of terror seized his heart at the thought of asking King Enma for anything, let alone something so significant as the missing pages to the common law book. After all, they probably were torn out by father himself. "Are you crazy?!" He cried, studying Ayame in alarm. "My dad will kill me if he finds out what we're up to!"

"But what choice do we have sir?!" Ayame cried back, staring questioningly at Koenma, her gaze as unrelenting as his own. "If we don't find the information soon, we're as good as dead anyway! So why not ask him?"

Koenma stared at her for several seconds, trying to rationalize his position only to find himself unable to do so. There really wasn't much to lose. If we don't were as good as dead like she says. The Reikai lord lowered his gaze, a sigh of resignation escaping past his parted lips. "I suppose you are right, Ayame. What choice do we have really?"

"Koenma sir, Koenma sir!" A masculine voice bellowed from somewhere behind them, causing both the Reikai prince and the ferry girl to snap their gazes over their shoulders.

Koenma let out an irritable growl, swinging his chair sideways, his brown orbs fixated dangerously upon the rushing form of his oni assistant, George. "What is it, ogre?!" He barked, the blue skinned oni instantly testing his already thin patience.

George's features fell. "Why do you always have to yell at me, sir?" He pouted, the hurt evident in his voice as he stopped to the Reikai prince's right.

"Because your voice gives me a headache!" Koenma shot back, not in the mood for dealing with his oni assistant's wounded pride. "What the hell is so important you have to come barging into my office, yelling at the top of your lungs?!"

"Hmph!" George sounded, crossing his arms as he tilted his head upright. "Why should I tell you after the way you treated me?" He asked indignantly. "You seem more preoccupied with talking with Ayame than what's going on outside the .... "

George didn't get to finish his statement as Koenma jumped out of his chair and charged, angered beyond the breaking point as he wrapped his right arm around the blue oni's thick neck. He held on tightly, venting his frustration as he wrestled with his assistant while roaring at the top of his lungs, "SPIT IT OUT OGRE, YOU BIG BLUE NINNY!"

George clenched his eyes, reaching up to claw at his boss's forearms, wiggling frantically as he tried to break out of his boss's suddenly vice like grip. "The ... detectives ... are ... on their way here ... Sir ..." He managed to squeak past his clenched teeth.

"What!" Koenma cried, releasing his hold immediately from around George's neck. The hapless blue oni collapsed onto the floor in a heap beside his boss's feet, the impact shaking the desk, sending the piles of paperwork flying every which way around them.

%%%%%

Outside of the palace, the veiled sky of Reikai offered little in the way of warmth for the spirit detectives who marched slowly up the winding path that led past the river Styx, the shadow of the mountain range to their left adding to the chill that filled the air. Concentrated in the center of Reikai, the junction to spirit world saw little in the way of seasons, spared from the extreme cold that flooded the north during winter and the blistering heat that plagued the southern region in summer.

Still, Botan found the coldness a little odd. Then again maybe it's not the weather that's bothering me. She countered as she tilted her head back, her troubled eyes focusing upon Koenma's palace still some distance ahead. After all that had transpired the past few days, the deity found herself hesitant to return. The uneasiness that had been barely a whisper within her mind began to heighten until it had grown into a crescendo of discontent, swallowing her already troubled heart.

"Botan?" A concerned masculine voice called out softly to her.

The deity shifted her gaze to the right, her pensive features softening at the one who had spoken to her. "Yes, Kurama?"

Kurama studied the face of his beloved, his heart troubled at the distress he felt coming from her. "Is something wrong?"

Botan looked away, closing herself off emotionally from him, not wanting the kitsune to suffer because of her silly trepidations. "Not really. I'm just a little nervous about returning back to the palace that's all."

Kurama frowned at the sudden loss of their bond. Why doesn't she want to tell me? He wondered. Although he could no longer sense her emotions, Kurama had a fairly good idea what was troubling Botan. After all, she was returning back to her job. Back to a place where the threat of death was most palpable.

He could feel it.

It hovered like a shadow, ready to smother them the instant their relationship was brought out into the open. That in and of itself was upsetting. And it didn't help that Botan would be killed simply for loving a human kitsune. Killed by her own people for loving me. Kurama's features darkened at the thought. Why can't she just remain in Ningenkai? He knew how to protect her better than anyone. After all she is my mate and as my right I should be the one to keep her safe from harm. "There is no need to be nervous Botan," Kurama replied, moving closer to the deity as they approached the massive doors that granted entrance to the Reikai lord's domain. "No matter what happens, I will be with you until the end. Even until my dying breath." He added reaching out to clasp Botan's right hand within his left.

Botan brought her gaze downward, studying their entwined hands. Her heart began to beat loudly in her chest, the love she felt for her mate breaking past the wall she had placed temporarily between them. "Kurama." She whispered reverently, tilting her head upright until their gazes met and held.

Kurama regarded her in complete adoration, unable to hide what he was feeling for her.

No more words were said.

None were needed.

"Hey, are you guys going to push the intercom button or are you just going to stand their making goo goo eyes at each other?" Yusuke's amused voice broke in, ruining the tender moment between the two lovers.

Botan let out an agitated sigh as she turned to face the dark haired detective. "Is your finger broke Yusuke?" She asked in a deceptively even tone.

"No."

"Would you like it to be?" She asked in the same tone as she stepped forward. An evil smile lit up her face, causing Yusuke to subconsciously back up a few feet, much to Hiei's amusement.

"Well, well detective. It seems the ferry girl got the better of you there didn't she?" The fire demon said with a smirk, thoroughly enjoying Yusuke's sudden discomfort. "Afraid of her are you?"

"Shut up, Hiei." Yusuke grumbled as he turned his annoyed chocolate orbs on his shorter companion. "You've never been hit with her oar before."

"Yeah, that does kind of hurt," Kuwabara said, adding his comment into the conversation. "I think I still have a lump from the last time she smacked me." The street fighter reached up, rubbing the back of his head as if to check if the lump was still there.

"Too bad she didn't smack you in the face then we might have seen an improvement." Hiei replied dryly, much to Kuwabara's annoyance.

"Shut up, tiny!" Kuwabara snapped, dropping his hand to the side as he fixed his darkened gaze upon the fire apparition. "I may not be much of a looker but I'm still more of a man than you'll ever be!"

"Hmph," Hiei sounded, crossing his arms as he fixed his gaze upon the doors in front of him. "That remains to be seen." He responded cryptically, leaving the taller man stunned.

What the hell does that mean? Kuwabara wondered, turning his focus back in front of him as he heard a loud gong sound.

Kurama lifted his right index finger away slightly from the white button to the left of the doors as a deep voice commanded, "Who is it?"

The kitsune moved his finger to the second button, pressing then holding it down as he leaned forward to speak. "Koenma's spirit detectives and his head ferry girl." He replied, drawing his hand away from the intercom and back to his side.

There was a slight pause.

"One moment." The voice called, the box growing silent even as the doors began to move inward, shaking the ground and filling the air with an intense grating noise.

Kurama backed away, moving over to Botan's side, waiting patiently until at last the way was clear for them to enter. The kitsune turned sideways to address his friends. "Shall we?"

The other detectives nodded, following behind Kurama and Botan who led them into the palace grounds and straight towards the doors that allowed access within the palace itself.

%%%%%

Koenma tilted his head back, watching with dismay as the loose sheets of paper floated past him, coming to rest sloppily upon his marbled floor. Dammit! He growled mentally, his lack of sleep causing his usual short temper to flare up again. The detectives will be here any moment and my office is a complete disaster! His gaze shifted to the unmoving oni at his feet. His features took on an annoyed look as he growled, "Get up ogre. I know for a fact you're perfectly fine."

George pushed himself up, jumping to his feet a few seconds later. "You're not very nice to me sir. You know that don't you?" He said, still pouting over his harsh treatment.

Koenma was not in the mood. "And I'm going to get a whole lot meaner if you don't help me pick up this paper work."

The blue oni's gaze swept quickly around the room, his features crestfallen. "Do I have to?"

"Yes you have to!" Koenma snapped. "Start over on that end!" He commanded, pointing to the far side of the room.

George grumbled but complied, stalking towards the spot his boss had pointed before bending down, collecting the paper work within his massive hands.

Koenma watched him work for a few seconds before bending down himself. He swept the papers into his arms as quickly as he could, so consumed with his task it took a few seconds to register the sudden feeling of warmth within his hand. The Reikai lord looked up, his curious brown eyes widening in surprise as he met the equally curious blue ones of Ayame.

The two stared at each other for a few seconds before Koenma broke eye contact, looking down at the dark haired ferry girl's hand clutched within his own. His features softened as he loosened his grip, caressing the back of her hand with his thumb before reality set in. What am I doing?! He cried, shaking his head as if to clear it. As much as he enjoyed holding onto Ayame's hand, he didn't feel now was the appropriate time to tell her of his feelings. With a small sigh, Koenma started to pull away when Ayame suddenly latched onto his hand, stopping him.

"Lord Koenma?"

The lord of Reikai tilted his head back, his heart beating fiercely against his chest at the tender look his assistant was giving him. "Yes.. Ayame?" He managed to sneak past his lips, swallowing nervously as she leaned forward.

"Can I ask you something?"

Koenma nodded, his eyes never leaving hers even as she drew closer to him.

"Do you love me?"

The Reikai prince gaped at her in stunned silence though his mind screamed to tell her. So why can't I? What the hell am I so afraid of? He wondered, trying like hell to bring himself to answer her. But no words would come. And so he continued to stare at her, too afraid to tell her the truth of his heart. That he did indeed love her more than anything in the world.

Ayame mistook his silence as a sign of denial. She lowered her gaze, a pained sigh escaping her lips as she moved away only to gasp as Koenma pulled her forward and into his arms, the papers once clutched within his grasp fluttering back onto the floor from his sudden motion.

"Ko .. enma?"

The prince drew in a shaky breath. Despite his fear, Koenma had grown tired of hiding his feelings. The pain reflected in Ayame's eyes finally galvanizing him into action, giving him the courage he needed to confess his feelings. "I do love you, Ayame," He whispered in a quavering voice, embracing her tightly against him. "I've loved you for a long time. Forgive me for not telling you sooner."

Ayame's heart soared at his words, a surge of elation filling her soul as she wrapped her arms around him. "And I love you my lord." She replied, closing her eyes as she rested her head upon his shoulder.

"Well isn't this interesting." A familar voice echoed within the room.

Koenma and Ayame pulled away, turning their heads to the right where a smirking Yusuke stood, the rest of the team to his left.

The prince narrowed his eyes, glaring at the detective who looked slowly about the room, a low whistle escaping his lips as he added,

"And from the looks of things you've been having tons of fun."

Koenma opened his mouth, about to yell at his head detective when he suddenly sensed a strange energy. Twisting his gaze further to the right, his troubled eyes rested upon Botan. The energy was familar yet not. As if she had been infused with ... His eyes widened in alarm. No. It can't be!

"My lord?" Ayame said, unable to hide the concern in her voice as she watched the color drain from her beloved's face.

Koenma's features hardened. "I'm fine Ayame," He replied, rising to his feet. He held out a hand for his assistant to take, pulling her up beside him before gently letting go. "We'll speak about things later." He promised, though his gaze remained fixed on Botan. "May I see you for a moment Botan," He asked, shifting his gaze briefly to Kurama before adding in a stern voice. "Alone if you please."

Kurama's features grew dark, bursts of gold erupting within his emerald pools as a low growl escaped from his throat, letting his displeasure known at the way Koenma addressed his mate.

Botan looked away from her boss towards Kurama. "It's all right Kurama. I'm sure it's nothing serious." She said softly, her voice reassuring as she reached out and clasped his hand. Kurama turned to her, the gold fleeing his eyes, replaced by the calm emerald ones of Suuichi as he nodded, watching in mild disappointment as the deity slid her hand slowly away from his, fighting the urge to pull her back to him. Botan looked back at him one last time, flashing him a small smile before turning and following the prince towards the door that led to the hallway behind his office.

Kurama watched her go, the muscles tensing along the entirety of his body as his anger began to build once again. He knew exactly why the lord of Reikai had called Botan away. The look of accusation Koenma had thrown at him impossible to ignore. He knows. Kurama thought with a frown, studying the now closed door anxiously. What will he do? The kitsune wondered as he willed himself calm, squashing the anger that rose like a serpent within his heart. He couldn't let his darker emotions get the better of him. Especially now that Koenma was helping them. Still, Kurama didn't want his love to get into trouble. I only hope she will not be punished for my transgression.

%%%%%

"What is the matter Lord Koenma, sir?" Botan asked as she stood before her boss in the brightened hallway.

Koenma studied the deity, his look severe though he said nothing.

Botan was becoming rather troubled at the prince's silence. She began to shift her feet, a nervous chuckle flowing past her lips as she asked, "Uh .. Did I do something wrong?"

The Reikai lord's gaze shifted slightly, his eyes focused just beyond the deity's neck as he finally spoke. "Let me see your neck Botan." He commanded.

Botan frowned. "What?" She began in a murmur. "Why do you want ... "

"I'm sure you know exactly why Botan," Koenma interjected, his tone impatient as he waited for her to comply. "Now remove that jacket and show me where he bit you."

Botan's face grew pale. Oh God, he knows! Her mind cried, a look of desperation flashing across her face as she began to plead her case. "Koenma sir, I ... "

"I don't want to hear excuses Botan." Koenma replied coolly, cutting off the deity's explanation. "Just show me where he bit you."

Botan's features darkened. She fought the urge to slam the prince upside the head with her oar. But I can't do that. She countered. After all he's trying to help us. The deity reached up, unzipping the rain slicker she still wore. With a fluid motion, Botan slid out of the jacket, folding it neatly over her right arm before extending her hand to the collar of her sweater, pulling it to the side for Koenma to see.

Koenma frowned as he noticed the engagement ring upon the deity's left hand but that did not bother him so much as the red mark now visible upon the juncture of Botan's neck and right shoulder. Just as I suspected. He thought darkly, his gaze shifting back to the deity's eyes, noting the guilt that lingered within her amethyst orbs. "You mated with him didn't you?"

Botan lowered her hand back to the side, the collar sliding back up to her neck as she tilted her head downward, her cheeks aflame with bright crimson. "Yes." She whispered.

Koenma noticed the change in the deity's features, a tinge of sympathy filling his heart. Perhaps I'm being too hard on her. He thought, realizing his lack of sleep was getting the better of him. After all Botan and Kurama were soul mates. It was only natural for them to express themselves on a physical level. Koenma's features softened, his voice lacking the harshness of his earlier tone as he spoke once more. "Don't you think your actions are a little reckless Botan? What if you became pregnant before .... "

"I love him, Koenma." Botan replied, cutting of the Reikai prince's sentence. The deity brought her gaze upright, her eyes ablaze with a defiance that both awed and irritated the Reikai lord. "And my love life is my own. I don't have to tell you anything." She added, glaring at her employer who let out a heavy sigh.

"No. You don't have to tell me anything Botan," He began. "But I had hoped you would remember that all of our lives are at stake. Not just yours and Kurama's."

Anger fled the deity's heart, a sudden understanding filling her as she studied Koenma more closely. The stubble along his jaw, the darkened circles under his blood shot eyes, the weariness within his voice. Her mind flashed back to the disorder of his office and the papers that had scattered across the room. "You've been working on our case ever since I've been gone haven't you?"

"Yes." The Reikai prince replied with a slight nod, relieved she at last understood, only to have his features tighten as she asked,

"And have you found anything to help us?"

Koenma shook his head and turned away, not wanting to see the look of disappointment that would certainly be upon Botan's countenance. "Unfortunately, I have had little success finding information, Botan."

The deity tilted her head downward, her features crestfallen. "Nothing at all?" She asked, her voice a mere whisper. When Koenma did not answer, Botan brought her gaze upright. "Lord Koenma?"

The lord of Reikai clenched his jaw. He didn't want to tell her. Didn't want her to know just how precarious her situation had become. But I must tell her. She has the right to know. Especially now that she's been marked. "Come back into the office Botan and I'll explain." He replied, turning then walking back to the door on his left, Botan close behind.

%%%%%

What is taking them so long? Kurama wondered, studying the door with anxious eyes. In the five minutes since Botan and Koenma had disappeared, the kitsune had sensed his soul mate's emotions fluctuate from guilt, to anger, to sympathy and even surprise, sadness and confusion. And it bothered him. He wanted to know what was going on. And what Koenma was saying to make her so upset. He clenched his teeth, fighting back the urge to storm straight through the door and confront Koenma. But Botan will not welcome my interference. He thought, his features becoming contemplative, his gaze shifting away from the door to his left. Much as I'd like to protect her, I must let her deal with Koenma on her own. He added as he stared idly at the wall within his vision, realizing his more possessive nature was once again to blame for his emotional tug of war. But I don't know how much longer I can stand waiting.

The sudden sound of a knob turning drew the kitsune's attention. Kurama brought his gaze back in front of him, ignoring the look Koenma gave him as his eyes fell upon the approaching form of Botan. The kitsune frowned, noting the confusion evident on Botan's face as she came to stand beside him. "Are you okay?" He began in a whisper only she could hear. "He didn't threaten you did he?"

Botan gave a slight shake of her head. "No," She answered softly. "But he ... " She began only to have her words silenced as Yusuke suddenly spoke.

"All right Koenma, what the hell's going on? What was so important you felt the need to talk to Botan without the rest of us hearing?" The dark haired detective asked, an irritated look upon his handsome face as his questioning chocolate orbs met the somber brown ones of Koenma who sat down upon his chair, his arms rested at his sides.

The Reikai prince did not answer right away, mentally noting the closeness of Ayame who stood at his left as he studied the detectives and Botan who looked at him with expectant eyes. "I'm afraid there are some things even you, Yusuke, do not need to be privy ... "

"Ah, cut the crap and spit it out, Koenma!" Yusuke retorted. "We've got a lot to do and not much time to do it in!"

Koenma raised an eyebrow at the barking tone of his best spirit detective. "If you'll allow me to finish, Yusuke, I'm sure you'll find what I have to say very important." He said in an authoritative tone, giving the detective a warning glare which Yusuke shrugged off but complied to, crossing his arms as he went silent. "As I was saying before I was so rudely interrupted, there are some things I need to inform you of since our last meeting," Koenma began, his features serious as he drew in a breath and let it out slowly, debating how to tell them what challenges they now faced. "First of all, the book that we've been searching for was revealed to be in the possession of Torandai, the head elder of Reikai."

"Torandai?" Botan said, her features brightening than falling as she remembered what Koenma had mentioned in the hallway. "But I thought ... "

Koenma held up his hand in a gesture of silence. "Please let me finish."

Botan grew silent though her features remained curious.

"I, along with Ayame, went to see Torandai under the pretense of a visit. We had hoped to find the book within his library and take it from under his nose."

"But that didn't happen did it?" Yusuke asked, irritation giving way to curiosity as he waited for his boss to reply.

Koenma turned to him. "No." He answered. "Torandai saw through our little scheme but imagine my surprise when he offered to give the common law book to us." The prince paused, his gaze shifting over towards Botan who let out a startled gasp.

"Wh .. at?" She murmured, a look of horror etched upon her face as she met the eyes of her boss. "You .. mean ... he knows?"

Koenma gave a slow nod, his features grim. "Yes Botan. Torandai knows all about you and Kurama ... " He replied, his voice growing silent as Kuwabara interrupted.

"Wait a minute, what is so important about this book?" Kuwabara asked, his face a mask of confusion as he looked over at Koenma. "And who is this Torandai guy you're talking about?"

Koenma sighed, his irritation rising to the surface once again. "The book I mention contains laws that predate the great war between the realms. There is a section within that book that deals with relationships outside of Reikai. Since our society is based on written rules, the book would offer a defense for Kurama and Botan's relationship, a loophole if you will, from the unwritten rule in place." He paused to catch his breath before adding, "As to Torandai, he is the head of elders within spirit world. The leading ruler of Reikai."

"I thought King Enma was the ruler?" Kuwabara murmured,

Koenma shook his head. "I'm afraid not, Kuwabara. My father rules only a small portion of Reikai. His business trips usually revolve around visiting each district within spirit world itself, but his power does not stretch beyond the borders of this palace and the river Styx."

"Oh." The orange haired street fighter replied, though he still didn't really understand anything. A look of pain flashed across his face, his brow furrowing as he reached up to rub his throbbing temples. Man, all this thinking is really giving me a headache.

"I don't get it," Yusuke added his thoughts into the conversation. "If spirit world law is based on written rules, why didn't they just write a new law outlawing relationships between people from different realms."

"Because they still follow the same rules set down in the common law book," Koenma answered, simply. "Since only a select few outside of the Reikai elders know of it's existence, there's never been a need to rewrite the laws put in place for thousands of years.

Kurama, who had been silent through this whole conversation, felt the need to voice his concern. "You mentioned your surprise at how willingly Torandai offered to give the book to you." He began, wanting to return to the original conversation before Yusuke and Kuwabara's interjection.

The Reikai prince nodded, swinging his head to the right as his gaze fell upon the kitsune. "That is correct." He answered, mentally preparing himself for what Kurama would surely ask next.

"And is it in your possession now?"

A despairing look marked Koenma's features. How do I tell them? He wondered as he leaned forward. Eyes downcast, he stretched his arms in front of him, resting them upon the desk. "No." He whispered, clasping his hands, trying to keep his voice level as he added. "When he had given the location of the book to Ayame, she found it missing. Torandai looked and confirmed it was not there."

"Not there?" Botan murmured, a look of confusion briefly crossing her features only to instantly change into one of shock. "You mean somebody took it?"

"Stole it to be more precise." Koenma answered, bringing his gaze upright once more.

The other detectives studied their boss in surprise, worried expressions evident on all their faces. And rightfully so. The implications of such a statement were shocking to say the least.

Kurama's features darkened. If what he says is true, then there are others within this realm that know about the bond Botan and I share. A flash of understanding lit up his features as he tore his emerald gaze away from Koenma towards Botan who seemed to wrapped up in the news to notice the way her beloved was studying her. Of course! That's why he was so upset!

As if reading Kurama's mind, Koenma continued on. "Which brings me to another fact that must be addressed. As I'm sure you all know by now, you've been sensing a strange energy coming from Botan."

"Yeah we know," Kuwabara interjected. "Kurama marked Botan with a bite 'cause his demon side needed a sign of commitment or something."

Koenma's eyebrows shot up as he stared at Kurama and Botan. "Kurama told you that did he?" He murmured incredulity, his mouth quirking in annoyance, the agitation and disappointment inescapable in his tone.

"Well .. actually ... " Kuwabara replied, about to tell the prince it was Hiei who had informed them only to be cut off by Koenma's cold, matter of fact, voice.

"And did he also tell you that this energy signal can be detected by anyone with heightened spiritual awareness, including the people who inhabit Reikai? That if they were to sense it, Botan would be hunted down and brought to trial along with her lover and those who cared about her the most?"

"WHAT!" Kuwabara and Yusuke shouted in unison, twisting their heads to the side as they eyed the deity in concern while Hiei made a "Hn" sound, his features impassive though he was just as troubled by the news as the two human detectives to his right.

Botan meanwhile stood in absolute silence, the shock of the truth about her current situation rendering her numb. I should have known. I should have known something like this would happen! She cried mentally, her features falling as she lowered her gaze to the ground.

Kurama frowned, troubled at the rise in guilt and even shame that emanated from his beloved's soul. Wordlessly he reached out and clasped the deity's right hand within his left. Entwining their fingers, he opened his heart, wanting to give her comfort and assurance.

Botan shifted her gaze sideways, her features growing tender as she studied their hands, the love Kurama shared with her more precious, more pure than anything the deity had ever felt before.

No matter what happens, I will always be with you. Even until my dying breath.

The vow Kurama had made to her earlier brought comfort. She smiled at his devotion, his unconditional love for her warming her heart and easing her doubts. There was nothing to fear. Not while they were together.

Together. She repeated in her mind as she drew closer to Kurama. Oh, my wonderful kitsune I do love you so. She thought as she rested her head against his shoulder, sharing her emotions with him in a way she could not with anyone else.

Kurama's eyes widened slightly then relaxed as he rested his head against hers, the love Botan felt washing over him in waves. He basked in it, reveling in the truth of her heart only to have his features grow somber when a masculine voice spoke to him.

"Is it true what he says, Kurama?"

The kitsune lifted his head, turning his attention in the direction of the voice, curious emerald eyes meeting the troubled dark ones of Kuwabara.

The kitsune took a few seconds before replying. "Koenma is correct," He began, "The people that live in Reikai also have the ability to sense different spirit energies. Including those that are Youkai in nature. But, the individual would have to be within a space of twenty or so feet from Botan to sense the sparse amount of energy I injected into the mark."

"That doesn't change the fact that she is in danger while within Reikai!" Koenma snapped, becoming unnerved by the calm, almost detached matter the kitsune seem to be showing to such a serious situation. "If Kagone were to sense your energy within her, he wouldn't even wait to have a trial! He'd just slaughter her like he did the people of Jaisetsu!"

Kurama fixed Koenma with a level stare, gold fusing with emerald as his features hardened, becoming colder as Youko rose to the surface. "I will rip out his throat if he even comes within a mile of her." He growled, clutching his right hand, his knuckles cracking in emphasis of his statement.

Koenma flinched at the venom laced within the words of the kitsune, having no doubts in the sincerity of the promise of death the demon form of Kurama represented. Sweat began to form on the prince's forehead, his throat going dry as he tried to placate the kitsune. "That is why I'm recommending Botan remain in Ningenkai until such a time we have found the proof we need." He said as calmly as he could, trying not to wince as he swallowed the lump in his throat.

Gold faded, emerald taking it's place as the human side of Kurama took control. Still, the kitsune couldn't help but flash a triumphant smile that disappeared as quickly as it developed. He had won. Botan would remain with him. And I'll take that anytime. He thought, ideas of a less than pure nature racing within his mind as he shifted his gaze back over to Botan. "That would be acceptable." He replied softly, trying hard to calm the roaring of his heart as Botan met his gaze, the desire within her beautiful amethyst pools reflecting the longing he felt for her. The kitsune favored the deity with a smile of adoration, his eyes making a promise he intended to keep after the completion of their mission in Reikai.

Koenma let out a sigh, glad to see Kurama back to his normal self once again. "Well," He began, his voice becoming brisk and businesslike. "Now that's settled, may I ask why you are here?"

"We came because we think we've finally found the jerk off responsible for attacking us." Yusuke answered for the group.

A look of interest erupted upon the Reikai prince's face. "Really? Do tell." He replied, glad to have a change of subject.

Yusuke informed Koenma on what he knew about Ren Kurayami, deferring the floor to Kurama who filled in the gaps of the dark haired detective's statements. When he had finished, Koenma's face became a mask of contemplation.

"Quite strange. A human with such powers would not go unnoticed by our intelligence. And yet you tell me he may have the ability to completely mask his energy so it's not impossible he escaped our attention for so long." He said, his tone curious as he asked. "You wouldn't happen to have a picture of him would you?"

Kurama nodded, reaching into the pocket of his jacket before pulling out the folded piece of paper. He handed it over to Yusuke who in turn walked up to and handed it over to Koenma.

Unclasping his hands, Koenma accepted the piece of paper, his brown eyes studying the photo intently. A dark look made it's way across his face. The man's features were unknown to him. But his eyes told a different story. There was something about Ren's eyes that triggered a memory. A memory the prince had kept buried for a long time. A memory that still haunted him to this day. His mind processed everything the detectives had told him. The strange abilities, the absence of chi they had felt when they had been attacked.

It was similar.

Very similar to someone the Reikai prince had idolized long ago. Could it be? He wondered as he lowered the paper onto the desk, not daring to bring his eyes forward. He couldn't tell them. Not yet anyway. They must not know. At least not until they bring him in. I need to know for myself before I reveal anything.

Ayame noticed how quiet her love had become and it bothered her. What are you thinking about Koenma? She wondered. Unable to resist, the dark haired ferry girl reached out, tapping the Reikai prince gently on the shoulder. "My lord?"

Koenma seemed to snap out of his trance, his features softening, loosing the mask of deep concern that had marked his features only seconds before. He looked up, giving Ayame a reassuring smile. "It's all right Ayame, I'm just curious about this young man." He answered in a half truth before casting his gaze over to his detectives.

"We have your permission to look through your records then?" Kurama asked, his face neutral though inside he felt as if Koenma was holding something back. As if he's hiding something. But what?

"Yes of course," Koenma answered before adding in an almost pleading tone, "but if by chance you find out anything I would like to see it as soon as possible."

Kurama gave Koenma nod, turning to Yusuke who asked,

"Then it's okay to hunt this guy down and capture his scrawny ass?"

Koenma studied Yusuke, his brow furrowing at the detective's comment only to relax his features a few seconds later. "Yes. But be careful Yusuke. I want to talk to this guy before you do anything too rash." He answered in a commanding tone before rising from his seat and heading out his office. "I'll speak to you all later. Right now I'm in dire need of some rest. Excuse me." He added over his shoulder before exiting the room, a concerned Ayame in tow.

They watched the pair leave, a look of confusion upon each of their faces.

"What the hell was that last bit about?" Kuwabara murmured, trying to make sense of his boss's sudden shift in mood.

"Isn't it obvious?" Yusuke answered, a smirk making it's way across his lips as he rested his hands behind his neck. "It's toddler boy's nap time. That's why he was so pissy acting with Kurama and Botan earlier."

Kuwabara frowned. "I'm not so sure." He murmured, studying the closed door with curious eyes.

"Who cares," Hiei replied, the first words he had uttered since they had entered Koenma's office. "I'm more concerned with finding out this human's true identity and purpose than about Koenma's attitude problem."

"Uh .. shall we go into the records room then?" Botan asked, still a little unnerved by Koenma's behavior.

"Sounds like a plan." Yusuke said, lowering his arms back to his side once more.

"Indeed." Kurama added, looking at Botan with tender eyes which the deity mimicked before a polite cough erupted to their right.

The deity and the kitsune turned their heads, finding three pairs of eyes looking at them expectantly.

"Oh .. heh .. heh." Botan let out nervously. "I guess I should show you guys the way, huh?" The deity with drew her hand reluctantly from Kurama's as she started forward. "Follow me."

Kurama frowned slightly from the sudden loss of the deity's touch but pushed his feelings to the side. Now was not the time for such things. They needed to find all they could about Ren. And perhaps fortune will smile down upon us this time. The kitsune thought as he followed Botan, the other detectives close behind, past the open door and down the brightened corridor that shot off in different directions. I only hope we can stop him from whatever it is he's planning on doing.

%%%%%

Yasuo ran with godlike speed across the gravely path that cut a swath through the heavy woods that surrounded Mushinaka village, his compact frame a mere blur against the backdrop of the darkness of the night. The youth had waited as long as he could, waiting for the right moment so he could slip away. His original plan had been to take off after the shinobi the moment they left but his sister Nilia had been intent on spending time with him after their reunion. And in his heart he relented. After all, if everything went according to the fifteen year old demon's plan, it would be a long time before he would see her again. So, after much celebration, he had retired to his room early, under the pretense of exhaustion. He scoured his belongings, packing a few essentials in a small black bag , laying out the note he had prepared earlier for his father upon his bed, hoping his explanation would be sufficient before strapping the bag over his shoulders and tearing off to catch up with the ninjas he so admired.

Still, his heart was heavy with guilt for leaving them behind. But I must do this. He countered. I must get stronger so as to not let what happened to my sister, happen to anyone else. If I'm ever to protect my family, I must do this.

Yasuo tightened his features, a look of determination bursting across his face as he picked up the pace. It had been a few hours since the wind master Jin and the ice master Touya had left his village but the teenage demon was confident he could catch up. After all his gift of speed was unsurpassed.

At least as far as he knew.

Yasuo had never traveled outside the borders of both Mushinaka and the other villages that surrounded it. Yet, despite his naiveté, the thought of journeying to one of Yomi's cities made his suddenly adventurous blood rise in excitement. What wonders he would surely see as the ninjas took him under their wing. Concern overrode his other emotions briefly. I only hope they will accept me. He thought as he raced even faster, boughs shaking in his wake as he rushed past, anxious to meet up with the two shinobi that would surely help him become the strong demon he longed to be.

A strange vibe entered the young youkai's senses causing him to toss a glance to his left then his right. Something felt .. not quite right. As if the forest itself had witnessed something so horrible, so vile, it cried for all that passed by to beware. The hairs stood up on the back of Yasuo's neck, a sudden feeling of dread filling his already wary heart. What the hell is wrong with me? He wondered as he tried to shake off what he perceived to be silly emotions only to have his eyes widen at the heavy, metallic smell that now permeated the air around him. Despite his youth, Yasuo knew that particular scent well enough.

Blood. He thought as he focused his gaze forward, narrowing his eyes at what appeared at first to be two large bumps in the path up ahead. Perhaps they're the remains of animals that were slaughtered. He reasoned, his rational mind accepting the idea as fact as he rapidly approached. How else to explain what his nose had picked up upon. Curious, Yasuo slowed down, dust flying behind him as he skidded to a stop, expecting to see two carcasses laid to waste on the gravel path. But the sight that met his eyes brought the youkai's world to a screeching halt.

The air grew still, no noise marking the horror that had struck Yasuo dumb save the blood that roared within the youth's sensitive ears, the rhythmic pounding of his heart signaling the shock and panic that now ruled his thoughts.

No! It can't be!

With small, hesitant steps, Yasuo crept forward coming to a stop just beyond the head of the body that lay before his black booted feet. He peered downward, his features glazed with shock, the breath catching in his throat at what he saw. "Mas .. ter .. Jin?" The dark haired demon managed to squeeze past his lips as he studied the red haired shinobi's battered body.

Jin lay as still as death upon his back, several puncture wounds visible upon his bare chest, crimson staining his once tanned flesh. Yasuo could sense nothing. No heart beat, no energy, nothing. It was as if he was ...

Yasuo shook his head, denial sweeping his mind as he tore his gaze away from Jin to Touya who lay upon his side a short distance away, his right arm crooked over his rib cage, resting along his abdomen. The blue haired shinobi's head rested upon the bicep of his left arm which stretched vertically with his body, dark blots of color contrasting with the whiteness of the ice master's uniform.

The youth's chin sunk into his chest, grief closing like a fist around his heart. His strength began to fail him, his shaky legs giving way as he collapsed onto his knees. No! His mind cried out, clutching his pant legs so tightly his knuckles had turned white, the shock becoming too much to bear. All he had wanted was to get stronger. To be like the ninja that had saved his sister and his people. But someone or something had denied him of the opportunity, taking away his one, best chance at learning what the meaning of strength was. This .. This can't be real! It just can't be! "Master Jin ... Master Touya ... " He murmured over and over, his jaw clenched as he shut his eyes, fighting back the wave of nausea that threaten to overwhelm him. Yasuo remained this way for several moments, until at last, his mind took control, drawing a tight rein on his emotions. "I'm sorry .. I'm so sorry ..." He whispered, his eyes fluttering open as he gazed sadly down upon the prone form of the wind master.

Loosening the hold upon his pant legs, Yasuo reached out, resting his palm upon the fallen shinobi's shoulder only flinch in surprise at the warmth radiating from Jin's skin. What is this? He wondered as he leaned forward, his surprise giving way to panic as a hand suddenly wrapped like a snake around his forearm. "Ahhhhh ....!" Yasuo screamed, his terror laced voice traveling upon the night wind that suddenly swirled around him into the forest beyond.

%%%%%

"Hey Kurama, have you found anything yet?" Yusuke called out from somewhere beyond the massive piles of documents littering the long wooden table within the Spirit world's record department.

The red head drew his gaze away from the opened folder spread out before him, his emerald eyes weaving around the paper pillar in front of him until it caught sight of the head detective's inquisitive brown ones. "No. Not yet, Yusuke." Kurama replied. "Have you?" He inquired.

Yusuke made a sound, about to reply, when a loud rustling of paper was heard, drawing the kitsune's attention to his right where Hiei sat at the far end.

"None of us have Kurama," The fire demon began, slapping the file shut as he met his best friend's gaze, a faint green glow still visible underneath his bandana even as it grew dim. "This has proved to be an exercise in futility. I don't think any intelligence officer working within this department has ever set eyes upon Ren let alone any of his comrades." He added in a grumble, the irritation in his voice not lost upon Kurama's ears.

"It's quite all right if you want to head back to Makai, Hiei." The red head spoke in an even tone, understanding the reason behind his friend's agitated state. "I'm sure Mukuro is most anxious for your return."

Hiei frowned at that last statement, his red orbs staring defiantly into the placid emerald ones of Kurama, mentally gauging whether or not the kitsune was teasing or merely agreeing with his opinion. The fire demon's features darkened when Kurama's lips twisted into an amused smile. "Hn," Hiei sounded a few seconds later as he broke eye contact and rose from his seat. "I'm leaving." He announced to no one in particular, heading towards the door but not before sending a telepathic message to the kitsune. By the way, Kurama, I'm not the only one with an anxious woman.

Now it was Kurama's turn to frown. What are you talking about Hiei? He sent back, turning sideways into his seat as he watched the fire demon open the door that led to the bright hallway outside.

The ferry girl is in her room, waiting for you if you know what I mean. He answered with a tap on his forehead, a knowing smirk upon his lips as he turned and exited the office, closing the door as silently as he had opened it.

Kurama just continued to stare, his features flashing a rare expression of confusion. It was true that in the six hours they had spent researching into the personnel files of all known humans possessing spiritual power, Botan had managed to help them for the past five and a half before excusing herself to pack some items to take back to the human world when they left to go home. And since the time she had been gone, the red head had sensed no anxiety or lust coming from his beloved. Which could only mean one of two things. Either Hiei's pulling my leg or else Botan wants me to come looking for her.

"Hey, Kurama, are you all right?"

The kitsune flinched, drawn out of his thoughts by the concerned tone of Yusuke's voice. "I'm fine, Yusuke. Just thinking that perhaps we should call it a night."

"I'm all for that," The detective replied. "My eyes are freaking killing me after all this reading," He added before calling out to Kuwabara. "Hey dumb ass! Wake up it's time to go!"

"Shut up Urameshi I wasn't sleeping!" Kuwabara snapped a few seconds later as he rose to his feet, his large frame now visible to all in the room. "I just like to read the words close up that's all!"

Yusuke snorted. "Yeah and drool all over them!" He shot back, rising to his feet as well.

"Bite me!" Kuwabara all but shouted as he glared at the smaller man to his right.

The two continued to banter for several seconds, too wrapped up in their friendly arguement to notice Kurama slip away from the room and into the silent hallway.

Kurama let out a small sigh, relieved to escape from the two young men. As much as he liked Yusuke and Kuwabara and thought of them as dear friends, the constant insults the two threw at each other at times annoyed even his more patient nature. That coupled with the fact he wanted to check up on Botan, guided his decision to head out alone.

The kitsune made his way down the brightly lit corridor, the light blue hued walls seemingly glowing from the intensity of light that shined from above. He kept his gaze ahead even as he sought out Botan's scent. As many times as he had been to the palace, Kurama had never traveled beyond Koenma's office and although he had memorized the way Botan had led them from the office to the records department, it was her room he needed to find. But not being able to sense her made his new mission difficult to accomplish. Well, the fox spirit thought as he took in a whiff of air, a pleased smile forming on his lips as his heightened sense of smell found what he was searching for. When all else fails, follow your nose.

A sudden, rather intense, longing erupted within Kurama's heart and body. His desire to see her overriding any sense of propriety he prided himself on as he picked up the pace of his steps, nearly flying up the many flights of stairs that led upward to the higher levels of the palace. Whatever the reason Botan had decided to close the bond they shared, whether it was the need to be alone or to spare him any pain she was suffering, Kurama had to make sure she was all right. Because not knowing frightened him beyond measure.

%%%%%%

Botan stood quietly on the balcony of her room, her amethyst eyes gazing out to the mountain range beyond the palace. Clouds moved languidly along the Reikai skyline, obscuring the view of the stars but not the quarter moon that hung low in the sky, the thumbnail of light announcing the coming of evening. A light breeze blew past, tugging at the deity's silken blue hair and tossing it carelessly about. Botan closed her eyes, wrapping her arms around her body as the chill invaded her clothing. Why am I so cold? She wondered, her pretty features tightened in trepidation. Ever since she had been awoken by the storm in Ningenkai, a restless anxiety had been building within her mind and heart. She had shielded her emotions as best she could from Kurama, not wanting to burden him with her problems. As much as she loved him, she felt there were things she should be able to deal with on her own. Especially when my worries are nothing but figments of my imagination. She berated herself. It was partly the reason she had told Kurama she was going to her room to pack some essentials before leaving for the human world, wanting to deal with the vague fears that plagued her in the silence of her room. But no comfort was to be found. No answer to the anxiety that was becoming harder and harder to bear. Resigned to the uncertainty that plagued her, Botan had set to her task, going through various drawers and cabinets, her worry momentarily forgotten as she pondered over what to take and what to leave behind.

Leave behind. She repeated mentally, her features twisting into a saddened look. Botan had been overjoyed at the prospect of remaining with Kurama on Ningenkai but that didn't make the pain of being forced to leave her home world any less. The thought of never being able to return frightening her more than she imagined. She wanted to cherish what little time she had left in the spirit realm. Wanted to remember the quiet and solitude of her home world before heading back to the human world and her new home. So the deity paced herself, filling her powder blue suitcase and matching duffle bag with care before setting them upon her bed and heading out the French doors to stand upon her balcony, admiring the view of Reikai one last time.

A familar scent of roses erupted around Botan causing the deity's eyelids to flutter open, drawing her out of her muse. A tender smile lit up her features as she felt a pair of arms wrap themselves gently around her waist and pull her close. "Kurama." Botan whispered lovingly, her mood lightening at his presence and his love. She leaned back, snuggling into the kitsune's toned frame, glad for the sudden warmth his body offered and the comfort he brought to her troubled mind.

"Botan." Kurama whispered back as he held her close, leaning down slightly to rest his chin upon her left shoulder. Having found his mate's room with relative ease, his sensitive hearing picked up no sound save the wind that had somehow entered her quarters. Remembering that Botan had a balcony in her room, he assumed she had opened the doors, allowing the air to roam freely inside. Figuring she was most likely out upon it and wanting to surprise her, he silently opened and closed the door, mentally noting the luggage upon her bed before inching slowly up behind her. His more playful nature gave way to concern when she hadn't turned around. Despite the fact Botan seemed fine, Kurama felt somewhat lost at their lack of an emotional connection. Wanting to show her how much he cared, he had reacted instinctively, wrapping his arms around her waist and pulling her close to him. Now that she was safe in his arms, he opened his heart to her, the strength of his feelings towards her overpowering the defensive wall the deity had placed between them. "Are you all right, love?" He asked, hoping she would reveal what was bothering her.

Botan relaxed her arms, letting the wall crumble down, renewing the bond they shared. Her gaze traveled downward, adoration marking her features as she studied Kurama's hands. "I'm fine Kurama," She answered softly, reaching down to caress his forearms before entwining her fingers within his own. "I just wanted to spend a little time all alone before I had to go."

Kurama's brow furrowed. Although he could feel the truth of her heart, the words she spoke told a different story. A look of understanding crossing his handsome face as he lifted his head away. Botan had wanted some time alone. To reminisce about her life in Reikai without anyone bothering or analyzing her. It explained why the deity had closed off her emotions from him. And like a lovesick fool, I just had to butt in on her time. Kurama chided himself as he began to relax his hold upon Botan's waist. "I'm sorry Botan, I didn't mean to .... " He started only to stop as Botan shifted in his arms, turning around to face him, the finger tips of her right hand suddenly upon his lips, rendering him silent. Kurama studied Botan with surprised eyes, his features puzzled as he waited for the deity to speak.

Botan slowly lowered her hand away from his lips, resting her palm gently against his chest, the pounding of his heart palpable through the lining of his jacket. Having sensed his concern and then his worry at what he perceived to be an interruption of her private time, Botan felt the need to ease his mind and his pain. "There is nothing to apologize for, Kurama," She began, tilting her head back slightly until their gazes met and held. "It is true that I wanted to be alone but your coming here is a most welcome interruption." She added, pulling her hand away from his chest as she wrapped her arms around him. Resting her head against his left shoulder, she drew in a breath, reveling the way Kurama smelled. A clean smell, masculine yet with a hint of the roses she so loved.

Kurama smiled as he held onto his beloved deity, his mind calmed and his heart light as she snuggled innocently into him, seeking sanctuary from whatever had been bothering her. He tightened his hold slightly, rocking her gently back and forth a few times as he spoke. "I'm happy to hear it but I must ask you Botan what has been troubling you so. It's not like you to hide your emotions from me. I want to feel your pain. I want to make it disappear like all the other times before." He whispered as he rested the side of his head against the deity's. "So tell me love, what's wrong?"

Botan closed her eyes and sighed. She had hoped to avoid the conversation but now it seemed impossible. And I don't want him to worry over me. "I'm just feeling a little anxious." She began, her words coming out a whisper as she continued. "I can't say why, I just am."

Kurama frowned. "Is it about leaving Reikai?" He asked, truly wanting to know what was causing such fear and anxiety within his beloved's heart, mind and soul.

"Some of it," Botan confessed. "I'm happy to be with you, Kurama. It's just that ... " Her voice trailed off as she tried to think of a way to explain it without sounding dumb.

But Kurama would have none of her self doubt. "Go on, Botan. I won't judge you over your thoughts and feelings. I love you too much to do that to you."

A relieved smile graced the deity's beautiful face at the reassuring tone of his voice. Drawing courage from his vow, she began once again. "I don't like being forced away from my home world. I want to be able to come back. I want to be able to see my friends who live here." She paused, drawing in a breath and letting it out slowly before continuing. "I know it sounds silly but I can't help how I feel."

"That wasn't silly sounding at all," Kurama replied in an understanding tone. "I understand what it's like to leave the only world you've ever known, forced away by those who don't or won't take the time to understand your actions or reasoning."

Of course. Botan thought. Kurama had been forced from Makai after being shot by a hunter, seeking refuge in the womb of Shiori Minamino, becoming the soul for the unborn child and growing to become a human, albeit it one with a Youko soul. He had been gone for the better part of twenty years from the land he originated from. And he's done quite well for himself. She added. And if he can do it, so can I. For a few weeks anyway. "Thank you for taking the time to care about me, Kurama." She whispered into the material of his jacket, her heart overjoyed at how understanding her mate was of her problems.

"You're welcome." Kurama whispered back, closing his eyes as he continued rocking her gently back and forth, a blissful smile marking his handsome features. This is want he wanted most. To be close to Botan, to share in her pain and her joy, to give what ever was asked to him. Whether it be physical, emotional or spiritual. Whatever you want from me Botan, I will give to you. He vowed, holding her tightly against him.

Botan sighed happily, a feeling of elation filling her soul. She had Kurama's love and his trust. She needed nothing else. "So," The deity began a few moments later, contentment giving way to curiosity as to what her friends had been up to. "Did you guys find anything while I was gone?"

"No." Kurama replied softly, eyes still closed as he slowly rocked her back and forth. "Yusuke, Kuwabara and Hiei have left for their respective homes. We are the only two that remain."

Botan smiled at his comment. The only two that remain. She repeated mentally, her heart suddenly pounding against her chest at the thought that entered unbidden in her mind. The two of them. Alone in her room with no one around. Botan's smile fell. I shouldn't be thinking such thoughts! Especially since we're still in Reikai! Although she had begun a physical relationship with Kurama, her modesty still affected her emotions, a splash of crimson forming on her cheeks at the images that refused to leave her mind. And despite her seeming reluctance to follow through with her thoughts, her body began to respond, drawn to the contact of Kurama's toned frame against hers. "Kurama?"

The kitsune's eyelids fluttered open at the sound of his name, a surprised look upon his countenance as his ears picked up the desire evident in the hushed tone of his mate.

And it wasn't just his ears that were affected.

His body began to react even before he opened his mouth to speak, his heart thumping soundly against his chest as he stopped moving. A need began to build within him, an ache of longing that the deity shared alone with him. A need to express themselves by touch and feel. Without words and without shame. And though a small part of him tried to fight it, Kurama knew it was a lost cause. He couldn't resist or deny her, nor did he want to. "Yes .. Botan ..?" He tried to reply as calmly as he could, knowing they should be making to leave Reikai, but the drugged sound of his voice betrayed him.

He wanted her.

As badly as she wanted him.

Botan shifted in his arms, tilting her head back slightly, her pupils dilating at the ravenous look in his eyes. Reason quickly fled her mind, her blood aflame with desire as she reached up and wrapped her arms around his neck, pulling his lips down to hers, kissing him with such abandon Kurama was taken aback.

The shock of her move was instantly forgotten as the kitsune returned her kiss,lifting her off the ground by her waist and carrying her inside. The two lovers lay upon the bed, lost in a world of their own making, unaware that they were being watched.

A pair of glowing red eyes blinked into existence, the lean frame of Kagone's assistant, Naoko coming into form. A triumphant smile erupted upon the man's lips as he lowered a small metal device similar to a camera from his face. "Gotcha." Naoko whispered in the night air as he lowered himself to the ground below. His gift of invisibility and levitation had kept him safely within viewing range of the ferry girl and her lover. And now with these pictures, Kagone will have the proof that he needs to begin his plan. The dark haired Reigen thought, his features twisted in malice as he looked back up to the balcony. "Enjoy yourselves while you can," He snarled softly, disdain coursing through his dark heart as he turned and began to walk away, "Because my master will make sure it's the last time you ever see each other again."

%%%%%%

Okudara marched the small group of farmers down the path that led out of their village, the massive torches held within their hands, illuminating the thick darkness that surrounded them. It had been well over an hour since the ten man search party had left the relative safety of their homes, drawn into action by the pleas of Yasuo's father, Karutosai, who had shown them the letter his son had left behind.

I should have known the boy would run off. Okudara thought, a scowl marring his handsome features as he glared at the woods surrounding him. He recalled the eagerness Yasuo had displayed whenever the shinobi were mentioned. At first the elder had believed it to be simple idol worship. But as he now knew, the boy had every intention of following through with his words.

I want to be strong. Just like the shinobi.

Okudara closed his eyes, shaking his head at the boy's naiveté. You can't be strong by running away, Yasuo. No matter how valiant or virtuous the reason.

"I know we sent Shiro up ahead but are you sure he can catch up to Yasuo, sir? After all the boy is the fastest runner in our village."

The tall, silver haired man turned his head to the right, his violet orbs meeting the dark brown ones of a smaller, dark haired man dressed in the same black uniform as Yasuo would be wearing. "I'm aware of Yasuo's speed, Samuru, but we must try. His survival depends upon it."

Just then a shout was heard up ahead, causing Okudara and the others to stop. The elder narrowed his gaze, studying the murky darkness in front of him. "Who goes there! Name yourself!"

A labored breath was heard, the sound of heavy footsteps reaching their ears before a masculine voice called out. "It's me, Shiro, elder Okudara!"

Okudara was about to reply when a second voice called out, this one more urgent, more pained.

"Elder Okudara! Come quickly! We need your help!"

The silver haired man flinched. "Yasuo?" He whispered, his eyes widening as two figures appeared within the edge of the light that flickered from the torch within his hand.

There, coming towards him with labored steps, emerged Yasuo. And next to him, the larger frame of Shiro. But it was not the two young men's sudden appearance that startled him.

No.

It was what they were carrying that brought a gasp of shock from his parted lips. His eyes fixed themselves upon the compact frame of a bloodied Touya slung over Yasuo's left shoulder before swinging his gaze over to Jin's still frame resting upon Shiro's right shoulder. "What ... happened?" He managed to ask, rushing to Yasuo's side as the smaller man stumbled, nearly dropping the shinobi onto the ground.

Okudara steadied Yasuo before reaching out to relief the burden from the boy.

Yasuo let out a wearied sigh, rotating his arm a few times as he watched his elder sling Touya over his shoulder. "I don't know elder.. " He began, not able to meet the older man's gaze. "I found them like this. I thought they were dead but when I touched Master Jin .. His skin was warm."

"Then they're alive?" Okudara said rhetorically, a faint groan meeting his ears, confirming his suspicions.

"Yes," Yasuo said with a nod. "But I don't know for how much longer." He whispered.

Okudara frowned. "You realize what you did was foolish don't you Yasuo?" He asked, his tone and his features stern as he glared down at the young demon.

"I know, elder." he boy replied in a mere whisper, too ashamed to look Okudara in the eye.

"But in doing so, you may have just saved these two men's lives." Okudara added, his features softening slightly. "We'll the discuss the consequences of you actions later. Right now we need to get Master Jin and Master Touya back to the village." He turned around, but not before speaking to Shiro. "Give the shinobi to Samuru and run ahead. Tell Hama to send a telepathic message to Yomi relaying what's happened."

Shiro nodded, handing the unconscious ninja to Samuru before racing back to the village.

"Do you think Yomi can heal them?" Yasuo asked, coming up to walk beside Okudara.

"I don't know, Yasuo. I just don't know." The older man replied. I only hope he will send someone capable of such a feat.

%%%%%

Hiei reached the compound of Mukuro as fast as his short legs could carry him, anxious to be by his mate's side once more. All the activities in Ningenkai were taking their toll upon their developing relationship and the fire demon wanted to spend some quality time with her before heading back into the human world the next day. I only hope she's still awake.

He vaulted over the massive front wall, his small frame landing soundlessly upon the stoned walkway that led up to Mukuro's main house. He entered the front door, walking with quickened steps towards her bedroom only to come to a stop as a familar voice spoke. "You've returned. Good."

Hiei pivoted around, a smirk playing upon his lips as his red orbs fell upon the figure of Mukuro. His smirk quickly faded at the serious expression upon her face. "Did something happen while I was away?"

Mukuro nodded, holding out a letter for the fire demon to take. "This arrived but a few minutes ago."

Hiei frowned, taking the paper out of her hand. He turned his gaze downward, reading the note slowly, his usually impassive face twitching in shock. A small part of him wished to ignore it, to push the issue aside until the morning after spending the night with his mate, but the message was too important to ignore or avoid. "Did they say if they found a healer for them?" The fire demon asked, lifting his gaze up from the paper, her eyes questioning as he met Mukuro's slightly troubled ones. "They've managed to keep them alive for now, but their survival is questionable." Mukuro began with a shake of her head. "The villagers of Mushinaka sent this to us. They say the shinobi asked for your help personally."

Hiei frowned. "But I don't have the ability to heal." He replied simply, his features lighting up in understanding.

Mukuro nodded, knowing exactly what Hiei was thinking.

Kurama is a healer. Hiei thought, his features growing contemplative. Strange that two powerful shinobi had been attacked and nearly killed. It was also strange that these two particular men had served with Kurama during the Makai tournament and were good friends of the kitsune. Something bothered Hiei about the whole situation. Were they being set up? Had Ren actually made his move not in Ningenkai as they had all thought but in Makai? Hiei didn't know. But I have to find out. A determined look grew upon the fire demon's face. "I'll go get Kurama and then head out to Mushinaka." He said at last, a sense of urgency in his voice as he started forward. He was just about to pass Mukuro when the female demon reached out, placing her hand gently upon his left shoulder. The fire apparition stopped, his red orbs coming to rest upon his mate's hand.

"Be careful Hiei. Something doesn't feel right about all of this." She whispered, leaning to the side to give him a kiss upon his cheek.

Hiei gave her his famous smirk, thought his hand traveled briefly up to Mukuro's, giving her a reassuring squeeze before heading back the way he had come. Once outside, the fire demon stuffed the note into the pocket of his black jeans. Tilting his head back, he let out a sigh, studying the darkened sky of Makai. It seems fate had dealt us an interesting hand. Hiei thought as he lowered his gaze downward. And whether I like it or not, we cannot ignore it. He added as he suddenly rushed forward, disappearing from view.

%%%%%

Okay. This was one long ass chapter but I hoped you all enjoyed it. And it may be awhile before I update since my aunt freaked out and yelled at me for being on the computer too long. She said she was talking to my mom which means I may have my keyboard taken away for an indetermined amount of time. But even if that happens, I'll be sure to find someway to at least review other stories. Even if I have to go to the library to do it! Anyway, onto another synopsis before I respond to reviewers.

Words cannot describe the desolation and loss I feel. As the great thief Youko, I quested after the most elusive treasures, not caring who suffered because of it. And now, I may soon know what it is like to have what I hold most precious to my heart stolen from me. While I travel with Hiei into Makai to help save two of my old teammates and friends from death, the culprit behind their assault is revealed. Fear gnaws at my consciousness as I realize their attack was merely a ruse to lure me away from Botan, leaving her alone and unprotected. But a new ally comes into play, making it difficult for my enemies to escape. Can I get back to Ningenkai in time or will Botan be lost to me forever? Tune in next time for Chapter 31-- So It Begins